Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,584 comments
Great time!! How are you finding the physics on the wheel since the update??

Has anyone struggled to change up to 4th going into turn two, or changing up to 2nd from 1st coming out of the final chicane? I pull the paddle multiple times but computer says no!

Feels great a lot of high speed weight transfer in the middle sectors, delicious! Sad I don’t have enough time to put into this one; would love to get into the 2:03s!

Also, I passed my final line check on Thursday. I am now officially Captain Dan_Tes 👨🏻‍✈️✈️

View attachment 1376614

View attachment 1376615
Thank you sir. Nice time for you as well! I absolutely love the physics. My wheel feels absolutely fantastic. Understeer and oversteer are so much easier to feel and to contain and the wheel is just more responsive I feel like. I know not everyone feels this way and some people are mighty mad about the update. I like it so much I bought a shifter and handbrake for my rig yesterday so I can be a real rally driver!! 😬

Has anyone struggled to change up to 4th going into turn two, or changing up to 2nd from 1st coming out of the final chicane? I pull the paddle multiple times but computer says no!
The Ferrari won't let you change up a gear without being on throttle
Also, I passed my final line check on Thursday. I am now officially Captain Dan_Tes 👨🏻‍✈️✈️
Well done Captain 🛫 .... It was for just a plane wasn't it... Not a space ship 😅

Well, this is what I intended to do, even surpassed the best invalidated 2:03.7xx from yesterday, so I could and should be happy, but I'm far from it.
  • Messed up the second corner exit and lost half a tenth
  • Missed the apex by a mile at the fast left hander right before the third sector ends (don't know the corner number)
  • Very late braking into the last corner, missed the sweet spot for about 10 meters and compromised the entrance
1722289592728.jpg

But still a good time nontheless, if I could hook it up without these three mistakes, that would be a nice low 2:03, unfortunately I can't, every single lap leading to this one had some kind of wall brushing at some point, I just don't have the energy to repeat so many times.

And I do, it's just not repeatable. It does feel good when I get 8.xx after 2 or more laps in red or 10.xx plus. So I'm back every week hoping to hit 4.99 or better.
If you can somewhat regularly get a solid bronze after just 2-3 laps, I think it's very likely that you can reach at least silver if you invest some more time. Especially if you do things like follow a fast ghost, watch a YouTube guide etc., like the maniacs in this thread do. There's so much potential in a lap that isn't initially obvious

If you can somewhat regularly get a solid bronze after just 2-3 laps, I think it's very likely that you can reach at least silver if you invest some more time. Especially if you do things like follow a fast ghost, watch a YouTube guide etc., like the maniacs in this thread do. There's so much potential in a lap that isn't initially obvious
Probably. I'm content with just a few laps a week to add to that days marathon for a three star 10K prize. :gtpflag:

So what's a silver take? 10 laps, 20 laps? You get more laps than that and I'm tossing a controller at something solid at a high rate of speed. That's $65 I don't want to spend.

So what's a silver take? 10 laps, 20 laps? You get more laps than that and I'm tossing a controller at something solid at a high rate of speed. That's $65 I don't want to spend.
Stuff like that is entirely subjective. I'll have a gold in one lap, let alone a silver.
Everyone works and learns at their own pace, and is willing to put however much effort they wish into improving overall or improving their specific times. How much you put in is entirely up to you.

Probably. I'm content with just a few laps a week to add to that days marathon for a three star 10K prize. :gtpflag:

I typically run a TT for 20-30 minutes and no more. Usually knock down a silver time with that. If @half_sourly has a spare cycle or two and can post up my data page, I'd might could tell which ones I bronzed and when they happened. Mostly get silvers and I've had a handful of golds with that amount of time invested. If I get within a sniff or two of a gold time I might decide to run another 20-30 minute session. Time invested for me has to equal or better the Tokyo 600 grind race of 1-1.6mil an hour. There have been one or two TTs that I was having fun with and spent more than an hour on. Fun Factor>income rate with those though.

Finally golded both new TTs.
Well, barely scratched the current gold threshold. That's usually always the case, but this time it took me significantly more time and effort.

Having done that, let me share some thoughts on a new physics model.
I am not an expert driver in any way, and it's hard for me to exactly pinpoint the effects of different tune settings in suspension. Let alone the changes in the underlying simulation model. So I'll just share my intuitive feel for this.

Sorry, rant on.
Playing on a controller it took me several months to develop some kind of sense how different cars behave and where the limits of their handling are. I could predict the right amount of throttle to exit without understeering off the track, approximate breaking zones and turn timings to keep the grip just enough to hit the apex.

With the new update, all of that is gone overnight.

"Floaty" might be an understatement of the year here.
I no longer feel that I'm driving top-tier machines built for speed and precision - no, just some shapeless blobs of goo that approximately understand where I'm trying to direct them. And sometimes follow my instructions. Just so it happens that these blobs have a visual image of cars.
  • High speed corner in a race car - how about some understeer right across the track into the opposite wall?
  • Slow speed corner - how about this time I choose not to turn at all?
  • Oh, your left stick is smacked into the leftmost position? All right then, I'll slightly turn left just so you get off me.
Why do I have to use handbrake in The Real Driving Simulator™ every time I try to turn a race car around a slow corner?
Having read your comments that wheel users experience that to a much lesser extent - glad for them, but the rest of us mortals can just fk off I guess?
Sorry, rant off.

The new physics feel much less deterministic than before. I just can't predict the car's behaviour in the next corner, it feels slightly random each time.
Anyway, that will take quite some time to rebuild my muscle memory and develop the handling intuition anew.

While trying the Eiger TT I was watching very closely the top available ghost in those slow downhill hairpins riding in front of me and I just don't understand how to replicate those turns on a controller. Either I'm overusing the handbrake and lose lots of speed, or I just understeer into the wall. Another option is to slightly drift around the corner, but that also means loosing speed.

Also, where are the track limits on the long speedy left corner (the first one in the last sector)?
I can just lean into the grass, pretty much wall riding at this point. Grass also helps to turn left there.

The top times might drop even further this week as everyine is re-learning to some extent. Especially in Tokio with an ongoing battle between top 3 drivers.
So I'll definetely put more hours to this.

Happy lapping!

Admittedly, I have a lot of laps at Tokyo. I mean, a lot. Was a bit surprised to get a tad over .4 into gold in my 12 lap session. We'll see if it holds up. I could probably shave those .4 off and get into the 2:04 club if I did a couple more sessions. Don't really see a point to it with the fantastically disappointing 3 star ticket the effort gave me.

If it wasn't over 600PP on SMs I'd take it to my grind race the next time I decide to do it. Not into this whole detuning cars thing to get them in. Ain't slappin' CS on this thing either to get into that race.

New physics and FFB parameters and my G29 and I seem to be getting along just fine, at least with this combo. Will try the Eiger TT next week sometime.

Something strange. Does time driven in TTs not count towards total time driven? That 56.x miles didn't take nothing. My total time driven didn't change from yesterday.

I would've had a sub 2:04 if not for that quick left/right under the bridge. I got offline in the sweepers preceding it which compromised my line into it horribly. I had multiple 1:11.3 and 11.4 sector 3 splits where I would mess up the rest of the lap, and even a 11.1 out of nowhere which I preceded to invalidate by brushing the wall by a pixel coming out of the sector 4 left hander. :banghead: The walls are absolutely infuriating.
IMG_3423.jpg

Hi guys (and Greek),

Still working at Tokyo to shave the last tenths to enter the gold mine.
The optimals are all pointing in a promissing direction, and as already said, it's only a matter of work, of patience, and time!

1722333007717.png

1722333025969.png

1722333041963.png

The most important is to never give up when playing on TTs because you can always improve your score.
I've saved 0.128 on my previous PB:

1722333149012.png

Think positive because it could be worse: 2:05.864.... :lol:

@Pesselles please do me the favour and improve to 2:05.864 today before you reach 2:05.863 tomorrow so that I can verify that my plugin works for these edge cases, as we geeks say 😜

View attachment 1376727
If only I could do it for you, I would do it without any hesitation.
But don't blame me if I'm more generous :sly:

I have a 17.780 on S1, I wish I could give it to you 😁

I can give you a R8 Gordini full stock in exchange... :lol:

Is it just me or is the 430 Scuderia impossible to shift gears up unless you are applying throttle? Even at a standarill.
It's throwing off my gear-shifting mid-corner style.

I don't think I've ever seen this happen on any other car, is it at least realistic to this car in real life?

Is it just me or is the 430 Scuderia impossible to shift gears up unless you are applying throttle?
Am I the only one with this issue ? I can't shift up with the 430 unless I press a tiny bit the gas pedal. If not, shifting up does nothing. Wth ???
It's not a bug, it's a feature. This car has an antiquated "automatic manual" transmission that requires some torque application to change gears. Engine compression is typically enough to get downshifts done but you need some throttle to shift up, you can't just coast.

I give up ( :lol: ) These will be silvers for me. Looking forward to a new TT now...
Before you give up on Eiger Nordwand, check my video in hope it can give you some clues.
Upper half my lap, lower half fastest saved ghost, think P2 currently. I deliberately slow down video speed to 0.5* on first few corners, they are most difficult so slower video speed helps you to see what and where to do. Also, I freeze video of P2 on two places in order for my car to "catch up" 😊

Hope it helps.

And of course if anyone else can give advices how my upper lap can be more like P2 lap, welcome, come with advices 😊

Back