Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,608 comments
Knocked 5 seconds off my previous PB at Trial Mountain reversed this morning and still 14% off the leader! 🤣
Likely travelling for most of next week so looks like this one may not be a medal-winner - will try again later but it really is a chore!

Last edited:
53900796730_67654620c1_o.jpg

I honestly thought that this car was going to be a total disaster. The issue wasn't soo much with the car, but with the track because I don't drive on reverse layouts. Tracks only run in one direction if you ask me so getting familiar with the lines and braking points took some learning. The worst part is the exit of turn 3. It does not work in reverse, hence proving my point. The sharp elevation change is extremely jarring when you're trying to put the power down AND steer across to the right for turn 4. Thankfully the rest of the track is fine if you don't overstep the track limits or bump into the concrete edging.

The issue wasn't soo much with the car, but with the track because I don't drive on reverse layouts. Tracks only run in one direction if you ask me
I respectfully disagree with this. Personally, I like Trial Mountain in reverse. It’s one of my favorite tracks. Some other circuits I believe are better in reverse than the “correct way”.

Once you learn the reverse circuit, I think you’ll see what I mean.

View attachment 1378110
I honestly thought that this car was going to be a total disaster. The issue wasn't soo much with the car, but with the track because I don't drive on reverse layouts. Tracks only run in one direction if you ask me so getting familiar with the lines and braking points took some learning. The worst part is the exit of turn 3. It does not work in reverse, hence proving my point. The sharp elevation change is extremely jarring when you're trying to put the power down AND steer across to the right for turn 4. Thankfully the rest of the track is fine if you don't overstep the track limits or bump into the concrete edging.
Actually it is more tricky driving the track the opposite way around because I tend to lose focus while trying to remember the whole track itself. Sector 1 is a pain because I'll go too fast and hit the wall headfirst. The section before the first tunnel is a nightmare because you have to use careful braking and turning while also avoiding hitting the wall or going in the grass. And the last section after exiting the last tunnel is a risk factor. It's always a hit or miss depending on how fast you go whether you master the turns or suffer the consequences and hit the wall or go in the grass trap.

I heavily doubt that I'll maintain my standing as one of the 5 overseas qualifiers by the end of the month, as more quick guys will probably jump onto this after the GTWS Prague event next weekend. There's no harm in trying I suppose. Optimal puts me in the 26.5s at the moment so there's plenty of time left for me to find still.

Ghost replay is available to watch or chase if anyone needs it. Don't expect many people to share them as this is an esports competition after all, so it's the least I can do for you all if you're trying to figure out how to gain more time here. It's only been 2 days, so for now I don't feel like there's any benefit for me to be hiding some secret technique or line to gain a few hundredths that would give me an advantage over the others.

IMG_0707.png

I heavily doubt that I'll maintain my standing as one of the 5 overseas qualifiers by the end of the month, as more quick guys will probably jump onto this after the GTWS Prague event next weekend. There's no harm in trying I suppose. Optimal puts me in the 26.5s at the moment so there's plenty of time left for me to find still.

Ghost replay is available to watch or chase if anyone needs it. Don't expect many people to share them as this is an esports competition after all, so it's the least I can do for you all if you're trying to figure out how to gain more time here. It's only been 2 days, so for now I don't feel like there's any benefit for me to be hiding some secret technique or line to gain a few hundredths that would give me an advantage over the others.

IMG_0707.png
Impressive mate, I was the first fire-like. How many total laps did you run before getting that lap? I think this TT is for professionals and experts.

Impressive mate, I was the first fire-like. How many total laps did you run before getting that lap? I think this TT is for professionals and experts.
Thanks!

I didn't really keep track of how many laps I completed, but I maybe spent about 3 hours total between yesterday and today. I don't want to overdo it and get burnt out so soon. If I were to estimate, I maybe had 15-20 laps make it across the line. Eau Rouge + Raidillon is a bit of a lottery to get through it cleanly without getting the lap invalidated, so I restart the vast majority of my attempts there.

zjn
Hi guys,
I'd like to elect a track as personal TT to come back to it from time to time and measure the improvement.
I'm not sure yet about the car, maybe the little Mazda, maybe the radical, however not powerful car.
What track do you advice? It should be technical enough to propose different challenges. Current thinking is Spa.

As for current TTs...
Eiger I figured out a bit more today. GrB is not much my stuff, but should be a safe silver
TM is still work in progress. The car is... challenging...
Honda TT, I think I will like a lot, but haven't put the coin in yet
I like this concept, and RBR could be your fav track, as it's also PD fav track. There's a normal version, a short version, and you can play with various conditions: rain in the morning, rain in the afternooon, rain in the evening, etc (it's Austria...). This will give you an advantage for the next TTs.
Laping on the same circuit will lead you to perfectly master this track, no matter the car you'll drive. You'll be able to measure your progression, for sure.

However and if it's your objective here, the best way to progress is to play with/against better players.
I've completed all the events in the game at the 1st place but I know I'm not the best and the fastest driver. I know every centimeter of Le Mans but I'm not the fastest driver here. And I'm very comfortable with the fact I'm not the best (or Greek).

I've almost completed all the CEs (missing 4) and it's very helpful to learn the tracks. But to improve my skills, I come back time to time on some sectors and I try to improve my previous records. Fighting with himself for few tenths, or hundredths, is really challenging, and very satisfying.

If you want to improve your driving skills while having fun with fast and hilarious players, join the Titans (link in my signature).

Finally and based on my personal experience, TTs are the best place to improve our driving skills. But we need first to learn the basis of driving, we need to learn the tracks, we need to work (sometimes harder than other players) to deserve and win gold at TTs.

Since aliens don't take vacation on Eiger and Red Bull Ring, I had to go back on both.

I managed a small improvement on Eiger
View attachment 1378015

And I SMASHED my own time on RBR, very proud of that one !

View attachment 1378016
As usual you're very impressive Manou! Bravo for your 🥇🥇

zjn
Hi guys,
I'd like to elect a track as personal TT to come back to it from time to time and measure the improvement.
I had similar idea, and was choosing between some circuit experience or some license test. Picked Master License S-5 at the end as a Time Trial that was always there when I wanted it to be. I support your idea, one can learn a lot from it, to have same challenge when you want it to have it.

( It was actually a new years resolution challenge from my lady, she said, you scored P23 as best in 2023 and now you need to give New Year resolution to finish in top ten. I said I doubt I can do it in two weeks time trials, because of job, family, life, you know, so she said find one that is challenging enough and is in game whole time, so after having Master License tests for 3 months, in order to wait for most people to play it, I went on 4 weeks challenge on S-5, and after four weeks, P10 globally. There is video on YouTube if you are curious.
Anyhow...
I guess I should revisit it again now after scoreboard are reset.
)

Hi,

Not been in here much lately. Busy at work and at home. Been making more "enhancements" to my rig. I decided to add a monitor stand to the main uprights. The monitor now sits just behind the wheel base. At first I thought it was going to be too close for my eyes. Its not. It certainly adds to the immersion. It also makes you quicker... apparently...
IMG_3626.jpg

Just how I did not "red lap" this is a total mystery to me. Quite pleased with it though. This one lap justifies all the time and expense - My wife probably wouldn't agree with that bit but she has a greenhouse.....

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

Actually it is more tricky driving the track the opposite way around because I tend to lose focus while trying to remember the whole track itself. Sector 1 is a pain because I'll go too fast and hit the wall headfirst. The section before the first tunnel is a nightmare because you have to use careful braking and turning while also avoiding hitting the wall or going in the grass. And the last section after exiting the last tunnel is a risk factor. It's always a hit or miss depending on how fast you go whether you master the turns or suffer the consequences and hit the wall or go in the grass trap.
So, it is still a racetrack no matter which direction you are going. Obey the track limits, don't overdrive, don't run into things.

I had similar idea, and was choosing between some circuit experience or some license test. Picked Master License S-5 at the end as a Time Trial that was always there when I wanted it to be. I support your idea, one can learn a lot from it, to have same challenge when you want it to have it.

( It was actually a new years resolution challenge from my lady, she said, you scored P23 as best in 2023 and now you need to give New Year resolution to finish in top ten. I said I doubt I can do it in two weeks time trials, because of job, family, life, you know, so she said find one that is challenging enough and is in game whole time, so after having Master License tests for 3 months, in order to wait for most people to play it, I went on 4 weeks challenge on S-5, and after four weeks, P10 globally. There is video on YouTube if you are curious.
Anyhow...
I guess I should revisit it again now after scoreboard are reset.
)
For me it is coming for reading Suello book. I'm still into the first read, and I'm quite sure it take multiple reads to digest it, and more time to focus and apply what learned. Therefore I'm looking for something repeatable at a good degree of challenge to hopefully appreciate the improvements over the next months.
It also comes at a quite perfect time: book and truebrake for birthday gift, couple of weeks ago, and new physics at the same time

Still working on RBR with my 458 GT3 Martini Racing.

1722780027180.png

It's only a tiny improvement (-0.150) while there are others tenths on the table:

1722779063323.png

1722779080827.png

1722779100402.png

I'm so slow on the 2nd sector I feel I'm driving with the handbrake on.
To understand where and why I'm losing so much time, I've compared my sectors to @Tidgney 's video guide:

TidgneyPesselles (average scores)
S 124.13224.400
S 242.29543.700
S 330.64331.600

I perfectly understand why Tidgney is faster than me but a 1.5 sec gap on a single sector is clearly the signal I'm doing something wrong here. A 2 sec gap on the all lap would be logical based on my skills. I don't expect to enter the Top 100 or to gold this TT but I should be able to score a flat 43 in this sector.

Settings of my car: wet tires, ABS default, countersteer strong.

The replay is available for those who have time to watch and advice:

1722779620587.png

Last edited:
5tt's to tackle as I got kicked out of gold at eiger. Decided to give rbr a try first. Porsche didn't do the trick so switched to italia, followed Tidgney's ghost for optimal line, csa strong, gonna try with tc when needed.
1000018566.jpg
1000018567.jpg

Then came the rampage, silver for now, 0.5s from gold. Did the least laps at this tt today
1000018569.jpg
1000018568.jpg

And eiger was a pain, couldn't even catch up with my pb ghost. Finally nailed a lap and got back into gold.. barely
1000018570.jpg
1000018571.jpg

The steering on this thing is heavy! I could've changed my FFB but stubbornly kept it the same and now my shoulders ache like mad...

IMG_9219.JPG

IMG_9218.JPG

Top 100 but will likely need a few more tenths to stay in there. New physics really suit this car 🤩

Last edited:
Hi,

@bliprunner...
New physics really suit this car 🤩
The new physics suit me too! It feels a more intuitive experience now. I am managing to "catch" more slides / spins. Turn in and power out feel better too. This update has increased my enjoyment greatly.

That said, I am really struggling with the Subaru at the Nordwand. I may call it quits on a solid silver. The wheel I use does not lend itself to using a handbrake and it's not a technique I am familiar with.

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

Back