Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2025

Either the R35 or the latest Subaru WRX. Or if possible, something else entirely, like maybe a Lamborghini (assuming they license their cars).

I'm seriously hoping it also gets announced for consoles, especially for Xbox. I've played Import Tuner Challenge back in the day, and back when it was still possible, I was playing Zero and 3, emulated on Xbox Series X.
I can't find the post atm, but there was a thread on Reddit where someone who had been following Genki's new trademark filings, they said that Sony & Xbox were noted in them.

I'm guessing when we get a full trailer showcasing some of the actual cars and action, we'll also know if Genki is bringing the game to consoles.

I never played any of the Tokyo Xtreme games as at that time I wasn't interested in them. I didn't like the graphics. But now I am interested in this game and I hope it comes to the consoles. It looks like 2025 is going to have a lot of good games so I am going to have o make some difficult choices

I know this series is pretty niche in the grand scheme but I think its return is worth a front page mention maybe?
Anything that could either interrupt the normal stuff and/or give it some new attention, though it might need more than just the promo...maybe a retrospective to give reason why it's missed.

Now...I do have a concern now that I've slept. I do hope the music is relatively close style to the older games. That's always been something that sucked me in, even in rough sessions.

Last edited:
Hmm, now that I think about it because of the game coming to PC.....The modding community is gonna be nuts as hell.

Oh and the shutokou expressway being shutoff..... Toyota's shenanigans perhaps?

Love love love.

I hope it comes to consoles because I don't have a good PC anymore...but I suppose I could get a new one......

Hmm, now that I think about it because of the game coming to PC.....The modding community is gonna be nuts as hell.

Oh and the shutokou expressway being shutoff..... Toyota's shenanigans perhaps?
It's always been shut off.

If you look back at Zero or 3 (ones i've played), some exits are blocked off, and the only "traffic" is yellow Genki vans. It's not real traffic, it never was.

If you look back at Zero or 3 (ones i've played), some exits are blocked off, and the only "traffic" is yellow Genki vans. It's not real traffic, it never was.
That was such a weird change from Zero to 3. Zero had a variety of traffic from the larger Japanese "semis", taxis, small construction trucks, the vans, etc. And yet 3 was just the yellow vans that felt pretty sparse in some locations. Never really liked that about 3.

That was such a weird change from Zero to 3. Zero had a variety of traffic from the larger Japanese "semis", taxis, small construction trucks, the vans, etc. And yet 3 was just the yellow vans that felt pretty sparse in some locations. Never really liked that about 3.
Oh... Maybe I should re-play Zero...

This was the consequence of going to licensed vehicles. Manufacturers were not onboard with traffic. Honda refused to participate at all.

The original TXR1 US release for DC had, IIRC, red step-side GM pickups (can't recall Chevy or GMC). That said, I recall traffic in 3, but don't remember much about it, probably for this reason and not realizing it. I think Import Tuner Challenge had varied traffic too, and even road work that restricted the roadways...usually in critical areas.

This was the consequence of going to licensed vehicles. Manufacturers were not onboard with traffic. Honda refused to participate at all.
That explains why Cupid Arrows changed from Civics...I need to replay this series.

Also, the "Sealed-Off Tokyo" keeps coming up in my head...I hope they lore it up and just feed us backstory in updates.

If memory serves me correct that was only 3 where the traffic only consisted of the yellow genki vans. In zero there was a lot more variety to the traffic. I remember one of them consisted of some random 60s 70s us muscle car. I can’t remember what it was based off of, have a feeling it might’ve been based off a charger but I could be wrong.

Back then, Genki had a bit of a loophole they use to abuse until they got caught around the release of TXR3 where they were able to avoid licensing issues from adding in real world vehicles by referring to vehicles by their model names. While I’m still certain they can’t do that still, car x did something similar but instead of doing what genki did, they came up with fictional names and brands to get around licensing issues while keeping the vehicles almost identical to their real life counterparts.

Full speedway loop in Tokyo with wangan and hopefully we get Osaka too. Tons of customisation of old to new japanese car. A good car selection, with not only sports car but a good selection of japanese cars as well. I liked the concept of the series so just a refresh with modern graphics and tons of customization would do the trick for me.

That beeing said, Genki usually disapoint me in their game so not expecting too much of this until I try it myself. They had trouble passing the new gen step imo. They had some good games on ps2 but on ps3 their game werent that good and the handling didnt really improve the way I was expecting.
They released games on PS3 ?

They released games on PS3 ?
Yeah Wangan Midnight PS3, but it's not related to the main series. It does use Import Tuner Challenge's (Shutokou Battle X) engine features and all that, but both games are different. Especially in the lighting department. But, ITC was more just Genki first outing on the 360, however the game didn't sell well.

Also, the "Sealed-Off Tokyo" keeps coming up in my head...I hope they lore it up and just feed us backstory in updates.
One likely backstory is that in this world, Japan no longer has Tokyo as its capital, and has moved the capital to another region.
And as a result of the capital move, Shutokou lost much of its demand and was reused as a race circuit.
If I remember correctly, the arcade version of Wangan Midnight used this backstory.

Also, as a side note, Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift has a back story of repurposing an abandoned mountain pass as a circuit because a new road was opened that is superior to the pass.

One likely backstory is that in this world, Japan no longer has Tokyo as its capital, and has moved the capital to another region.
And as a result of the capital move, Shutokou lost much of its demand and was reused as a race circuit.
If I remember correctly, the arcade version of Wangan Midnight used this backstory.

Also, as a side note, Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift has a back story of repurposing an abandoned mountain pass as a circuit because a new road was opened that is superior to the pass.
Yes, this is known as the 20XX disclaimer, it was once used in English for the Genki developed Namco title of Wangan Midnight for arcades, but would be revised to this day only in Japan for the Maximum Tune series.

The XTREME mobile game went a step further by turning the expressway network into a youth nightclub by dressing the roads and cities with neon lights, VJ animations, and an influencer themed system called Voltage that determines your audience score.

Last edited:
As wild as it may be, I wonder if Genki has gotten in contact with the folks who do SRP for Assetto Corsa to use their map as a starting point.

Didn't Daiki Kasho do some music for these games?
Not too sure but dakota star did do the opening and ending credits theme for TXRD2 and TXR3.

Also I just re-read the steam page for TXR 2025 and apparently the game will include real cars. Real and licensed vehicles I assume. Honestly I thought there was a chance they might go the old dreamcast / zero era route or at least do something similar because of games like car x being able to get away with near identical but unlicensed vehichles being a thing especially considering genki still being a somewhat small gaming company but I was wrong.

Now the real question is with that in mind how are genki gonna handle teams like rolling guy who all primarily drive Toyotas in a game centered around illegal street racing assuming Toyota isnt down with the whole idea of the tokyo highways being blocked off? 🤔

I can't wait this series was my childhood, my name literally deriving from it. I don't really have any words for how excited I am for this game.

As wild as it may be, I wonder if Genki has gotten in contact with the folks who do SRP for Assetto Corsa to use their map as a starting point.

Which would be weird since, to my understanding could be wrong, it was originally ripped from Genki's Wangan Midnight on the PS3.

Didn't Daiki Kasho do some music for these games?
He is an artist with deep ties to GRP, but he was only responsible for the opening and ending theme songs.
And for TXR, he was only responsible for the ending for 01; all other GRP games he was responsible for were the TXR Drift series.

Yeah Wangan Midnight PS3, but it's not related to the main series. It does use Import Tuner Challenge's (Shutokou Battle X) engine features and all that, but both games are different. Especially in the lighting department. But, ITC was more just Genki first outing on the 360, however the game didn't sell well.
Oh yeah I forgot about that game.

PC only would hurt! n also 2006's Tokyo Xtreme Racer 4 (Import Tuner Challenge cough cough) says hello

EDIT: Checked out first post.. this directed @ the front page article)

Last edited:
Back