Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,733 comments
Yeah, it looks pretty weird but I'll hold judgement until I see it in a normal color. Color plays a big role.

Besides that, it looks pretty damn fast.

Yeah, it looks pretty weird but I'll hold judgement until I see it in a normal color. Color plays a big role.

Besides that, it looks pretty damn fast.

That's how I've felt about it. It's going to look nice with covers off. As a race car, in Super Taikyu, even better. :D

1. you can't judge a book by its cover
  2. don't judge a book by its cover
.... is appropriate in this context. :D

Wait until you see this car without camouflage and in the flesh. Only then you can say if it is a good looking car or not.

Well said @kikie.

There was an article that said the Supra's wheelbase will be smaller than the 86's.

So using this picture, I used the rim size to estimate lengths.

upload_2018-7-16_13-50-7.png

I then found this picture of the rim size which is 19 inches.

image-from-ios-12.jpg

This means the new Supra has a wheelbase of about 85.5 inches, a total length of 133 inches, and a height a little over 38 inches. In comparison, the 86 has a wheelbase of 101.2 inches, a total length of 166.9 inches, and a height of 50.6 inches. The 4th gen Supra has a wheelbase of 100.4 inches, a total length of 177.7 inches, and a height of 50.2 inches.

This means the new Supra has a wheelbase of about 85.5 inches, a total length of 133 inches, and a height a little over 38 inches.
I'd wager those numbers are a fair bit off. Those numbers are a fair bit smaller than a Lotus Elise and that height is shorter even than an original GT40. I'm doubtful that the car is really that small.

For the sake of comparison the current BMW Z4 is 167 inches/4,329 mm, which is the virtually the same as the GT86. There is no way the new Supra/Z4 would be smaller than a Mazda MX-5 ND (154 inches/3,915 mm).

I then found this picture of the rim size which is 19 inches.
That looks familiar...

(I wasn't actually trying to snap the wheel/tyre size - I was trying to capture the shape of the fenders, and the vent in the door). More here anyway :D

Incidentally, in the metal it looked pretty much GT86-sized, but with a bit more visual bulk. The hood line is certainly a little taller, presumably because of the I6.

https://www.motoring.com.au/new-toyota-supra-key-performance-details-revealed-113668/
” Tada told English publication Autocar from the event, pointing to a torque figure of about 530Nm
But you can imagine from seeing it that the car is light and compact – its wheelbase is even shorter than the Toyota GT86. It’s around 200-300kg lighter than the F-Series,” said Tada.

Also pictured here are CG renders and what we can surmise from Tada’s comments is the fifth-generation, ‘A90’ Supra will tip the scales at about 1500kg and will feature a wheelbase shorter than 2.57 metres. This backs leaked information that said the Supra would officially weigh 1496kg – which is 14kg lighter than the predecessor model

While the Lexus F-Series uses a naturally aspirated-V8 that boasts 351kW, the Supra’s BMW-sourced turbocharged straight-six engine is expected to deliver a figure closer to 260kW, Tada-san implied

@kikie If you add the aero bodykit the prototype is wearing, that render is pretty much representative of the production model.

The CG looks bigger than the production car. Maybe the camouflage is to blame but this Toyota looks to be a gorgeous car.

Is the price point for this car still around $30-40k, or is it expected to get near $50k?

I’m waiting to see how the final car looks, but... I’m actually really interested in the 335hp V6 model now. My GM has already put me in touch with someone who could possibly get me a unit without a markup or waiting list. Just waiting on production details to hit dealer networks.

Is the price point for this car still around $30-40k, or is it expected to get near $50k?

I’m waiting to see how the final car looks, but... I’m actually really interested in the 335hp V6 model now. My GM has already put me in touch with someone who could possibly get me a unit without a markup or waiting list. Just waiting on production details to hit dealer networks.
In the article I posted, no word on pricing. With 350hp, I could see it around $60-$100kAUD. The hybrid, maybe more.

In the article I posted, no word on pricing. With 350hp, I could see it around $60-$100kAUD. The hybrid, maybe more.
That’s around $44k-74k when converted. Granted AUS pricing is totally unfair for car guys (IMO), but I can’t see this Supra doing well at all anywhere over $60k with a power plant of 350bhp at its best stateside.

I have read it will sit lower than the Z4, which started at $50k with the last gen and $57k with the 6 cylinder option. Given that, I would expect a base of maybe $65k-$70k for the upcoming Z.

Seriously, the used car market, for this car, will be something to watch.
To me, the A90 feels more like an RX-7 SA22C, among the current sports cars. Toyota are playing this one smart.

This is not a lens distortion. The Supra looks too high and not wide enough. Although I'm interested in this car and I'm going to wait to see it IRL to see if it is a nice car or not but it doesn't look impressive so far. Something is not quite right. Can't put my finger on it. Is it the camouflage?

A90-Toyota-Supra-Goodwood.jpg

This is not a lens distortion. The Supra looks too high and not wide enough. Although I'm interested in this car and I'm going to wait to see it IRL to see if it is a nice car or not but it doesn't look impressive so far. Something is not quite right. Can't put my finger on it. Is it the camouflage?

A90-Toyota-Supra-Goodwood.jpg

Agree. The car seems too narrow for how tall it is. I wish Toyota would cut to the chase and finally unveil the car. :grumpy:

It's probably going to look fine in the real world. The problem is we're used to seeing many of the styling features on the much sleeker and larger Toyota FT-1 that it looks unusual when compressed into a smaller package. I don't see anyone saying the proportions look "off" on the BMW Z4 spy photos.

Back