Toyota Yaris Hybrid-R will be in GT6?

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 78 comments
Great find, 400hp in a car of that size/weight looks like a lot of fun!

Except for the terrible understeer generated by putting too much power in a small car. Unless they completely retooled the suspension and everything to be able to handle all the power.

Holy crap! 400HP? I expected around 180HP the most. Not that I would have cared about the car having less than 200HP since I enjoy everything, but this little Yaris could actually be very competitive against mid range sports cars.

And understeer? Who cares! I'm sure we can adjust the ballast and the suspension to make it more drivable.

I hope the Ford ST '13 is ready to challenge this cute beauty. I really want this car in GT6. :)

Hearing it have 400HP is just amazing! :D

Probably just a rendering,great addition to GT6.

Wonder how is the USB GPS thing is of any use seeing as this is a concept?

Maybe Toyota will do laps around track and PD will set challenges to beat the real life time.

I hope the Ford ST '13 is ready to challenge this cute beauty. I really want this car in GT6. :)

Hearing it have 400HP is just amazing! :D

I'm not convinced unless they make it AWD. 400 hp in FF doesn't normally* work... Especially in the snow/rain, like some drivers might have to face.

Normally* doesn't include Canadian TCC.

I see nothing about it being in GT6. I see something about a data logging system from GT6. That's the real news story;

the data logger is back! :D

Maybe it's new and improved! :D :D

I'm not convinced unless they make it AWD. 400 hp in FF doesn't normally* work... Especially in the snow/rain, like some drivers might have to face.

Normally* doesn't include Canadian TCC.

Well, I thought it be fun to run them at Goodwood since there both FF. Which car can achieve the fastest time. :sly:

This Yaris is not FF. Read the article. Front wheels are driven by petrol engine, while each of the rear wheels has its own, 60 HP electric motor. So it's like the new Honda NSX, basically 4WD.

BTW. if each electric motor is 60 HP, that gives 120 HP. 414 - 120 = 294. A bit too much from 1.6 liter engine, even if it's turbocharged, that's almost 200 HP from a liter. There has to be something wrong somewhere.

Edit: Holy crap, I just searched for other articles about the car and indeed petrol 1.6 liter engine develops nearly 300 HP. Have they gone completely mad?

Here's another article
http://www.caradvice.com.au/249938/toyota-yaris-hybrid-r-concept-313kw-pocket-rocket-revealed/
Toyota released details of the Yaris Hybrid-R’s powertrain last week. Beneath the concept’s bonnet lurks a 223kW 1.6-litre direct injection turbocharged four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed sequential transmission. Two 45kW motors power each rear wheel, combining for a total output of 313kW.

All that remains now is for the Toyota Yaris Hybrid-R to make its public debut in Frankfurt on September 10.

Remember, the Focus RS makes 300hp in an FF.

I haven't read how the system works. Maybe it doesn't get full power until 30mph. I can see 90kw(120hp) at the rear and 150-190hp at the front comfortably. Then, BAM! All 300hp.

The hybrid is the same type as the TS030 (close). It uses a capacitor to store the hybrid energy which is regenerated under braking. The power is sent to the rear wheels via the hybrid during acceleration to help with traction. The turbo engine is based off Toyota's world race engine. This is basically a race car in street trim. The same type of engines are used on rally cars. More importantly, the whole car is redone and the people in charge of it, TMG also do the TS030 LMP1! I hope they decide to let PD model that as well as the TMG Sports 650.

Unfortunately they've put the drivetrain the wrong way around. 300hp petrol engine to the rear wheels with electrically driven front wheels assisting would be amazing.

This way...it's clever, but it's still a compromise trying to work around the limitations of front wheel drive.

And 300hp out of a 1.6 isn't that spectacular. People get 250-300hp out of twenty year old 1.6l Miatas with forced induction. Making it pleasant for normal people to drive on a daily basis is harder, but I imagine the electric motors help a lot with that.

GPS data, longitudinal accelerations, steering angles, gear changes, engine speed, vehicle speed and even water temperature are used to reproduce a real lap of the track inside the game and which can then be played virtually...

I find that to be the most interesting out of the whole thing. Doubt it has any relevancy to GT6 though.

Imari
Renault Clio V6.

Well that car was essentially a completely different car. The engine want even close to where it was before. Widened body, different frame and drive train, different steering, it wasn't as simple as just making different wheels turn. I can't see Toyota building a high powered rwd car with no back seats based off of a yaris.

Well that car was essentially a completely different car. The engine want even close to where it was before. Widened body, different frame and drive train, different steering, it wasn't as simple as just making different wheels turn. I can't see Toyota building a high powered rwd car with no back seats based off of a yaris.

You wouldn't have seen Renault building a high powered RWD car with no back seats based on a Clio before they actually did it, either.

The Yaris is a concept car. It can be whatever they want it to be, regardless of what shape the outside is. They chose not to put the engine and main drive at the back. I think that's an unfortunate design choice, but it's not like there's any rules of concept cars that FORCED them to keep it front wheel drive.

Its based off the original Yaris. Its supposed to be a feaseable road application of the capacitor. The power is fed to the rear wheels during most acceleration points (pending a charge). So in essense its 4wd in low speed then front drive after the hybrid power is done. The cost is another factor. I can't fathom the increased cost of converting it to rear drive, let alone a capacitor based storage system for the hybrid power. If you were going to do all that, the Yaris would be pointless as a base car!

Its based off the original Yaris. Its supposed to be a feaseable road application of the capacitor. The power is fed to the rear wheels during most acceleration points (pending a charge). So in essense its 4wd in low speed then front drive after the hybrid power is done. The cost is another factor. I can't fathom the increased cost of converting it to rear drive, let alone a capacitor based storage system for the hybrid power. If you were going to do all that, the Yaris would be pointless as a base car!

Again, Clio V6. If it can be done commercially, it can be done for a concept.

Maybe it's better having 300+hp at the front wheels and 120hp at the rears some of the time. But it feels a lot like a Yaris with a race engine and electric motors on the spare wheels, instead of a realistic effort at making a really hot Yaris.

Clearly you're OK with that. I'm not. If they're gonna do it, I'd rather see it done properly. And by properly, I mean making it the best sports car it should be, instead of some half-sporty, half-ecobox, all-advertising bastardisation.

Renault built the R5 Turbo off the LeCar but, that was for Rallying. This is just the beginning for Toyota making a hybrid hot hatch. Maybe their production hot hatch will be a Corolla Hybrid. They made a quick Corolla Runx/Sportivo with the Celica engine.

I don't know what the weight distribution would be for this Yaris. It could be a well balanced machine. I like the concept, any concept that, keeps the blood pumping after they've been dormant for so long.

Maybe it's better having 300+hp at the front wheels and 120hp at the rears some of the time. But it feels a lot like a Yaris with a race engine and electric motors on the spare wheels, instead of a realistic effort at making a really hot Yaris.

Clearly you're OK with that. I'm not. If they're gonna do it, I'd rather see it done properly. And by properly, I mean making it the best sports car it should be, instead of some half-sporty, half-ecobox, all-advertising bastardisation.

Looks like it's more of a marketing tool than an all out performance machine. If it drives like most FF's in the GT series it wouldn't leave my garage:sly:

Looks like it's more of a marketing tool than an all out performance machine. If it drives like most FF's in the GT series it wouldn't leave my garage:sly:

If it handles like the Leaf I'll be more than glad to drive that, but it won't, however I'm really looking foward to give it a go.

The Yaris is a front driven car. Thats that. If you dont like the Yaris because it FWD why even comment that this car isn't right because its not rear drive? It's actually a real car as well. The Renault you speak of is a concept race car with no relation to the road going car? If you want a rear drive Toyota thats cheap there is the GT86. So the Yaris shown here is just like a Yaris on the road but with a performance hybrid, why does it mean it has to be rwd? Touring cars are FWD. The Civic type R is FWD. The Ford Focus ST is FWD. The Mazdaspeed 3 is FWD. So whats your point? They should make a sub 20k Yaris rwd because it has a hybrid system and a race engine? Your reasoning is silly. It's a Yaris not the new Supra :lol:

Last edited:
Dude, the Clio V6 isn't a concept car. It's a real production car, there have even been two generations. It's just an awesomly changed Clio. You can't call it Clio any more. The GT86 is not in one way comparizible with a Yaris.

Dude? I assume the clio he was talking about is the race car. So either way, this Yaris is not the clio, not a race car, not a separate product and not related. Its just a car showcasing the hybrid capacitor system in an affordable car like the Yaris, which btw is Toyota's best selling car in Europe. Comparing this to a clio isn't related. TMG does race applications, but are just showing what their race technology can do to impact street cars. This is a good way to drum up interest in TMG and Toyota to see if a feasable collaboration between race and road tech would be welcomed by the public. Much like the TMG LS 650. The engine in it is the global race engine which I think is in the Yaris WRC...?

The Renault you speak of is a concept race car with no relation to the road going car?

Please go and look up what a Renault Clio V6 is, then come back to the conversation.

Hint: It's a production street car.

Back