UEFA Euro 2024 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 180 comments
Someone working at the BBC graphics department is a Messi fan.

Rather cruelly, I did laugh out loud when I saw that, partly because it was quite funny but also in slight disbelief that someone actually did it!

I said to my wife the other night, I'm not saying England have been good, but in hindsight, the teams we 'should' have been beating, have gone on to put in really good performances against other 'good' teams, and in many ways have kind of made Englands results/performances look a little less crap.

Some very nice football from Netherlands - a good game against Romania... the Dutch are dominant but Romania are still in it.

I switched on the Portugal game last night for 1 minute, saw a pathetic dive and immediately turned it off.... hence its refreshing to see 22 players actually play a proper game of football.

-

2-0 Netherlands now - very well deserved, and Gakpo the star of the show... a goal, made the 2nd goal, and a goal disallowed for being a fraction offside.

Last edited:
Approximate team rankings so far:

1 - Spain - P4 - W4 D0 L0 - +9 -1 GD +8 - 12pt
2 - Germany - P4 - W3 D1 L0 - +10 -2 GD +8 - 10pt
3 - Turkey - P4 - W3 D0 L1 - +7 -6 GD +1 - 9pt
4 - Switzerland - P4 - W2 D2 L0 - +7 -3 GD +4 - 8pt
5 - France - P4 - W2 D2 L0 - +3 -1 GD +2 - 8pt
6 - Netherlands - P4 - W2 D1 L1 - +7 -4 GD +3 - 7pt
7 - Portugal - P4 - W2 D1 L1 - +5 -3 GD +2 - 7pt
8 - England - P4 - W1 D3 L0 - +3 -2 GD +1 - 6pt
9 - Austria - P4 - W2 D0 L2 - +7 -6 GD +1 - 6pt
10 - Slovakia - P4 - W1 D2 L1 - +4 -4 GD 0 - 5pt
11 - Belgium - P4 - W1 D1 L2 - +2 -2 GD 0 - 4pt
12 - Slovenia - P4 - W0 D3 L0 - +2 -2 GD 0 - 4pt
13 - Romania - P4 - W1 D1 L2 - +4 -6 GD -2 - 4pt
14 - Italy - P4 - W1 D1 L2 - +3 -5 GD -2 - 4pt
15 - Georgia - P4 - W1 D1 L2 - +5 -8 GD -3 - 4pt
16 - Denmark - P4 - W0 D3 L1 - +2 -4 GD -2 - 3pt
*17 - Ukraine - P3 - W1 D1 L1 - +2 -4 GD -2 - 4pt
18 - Hungary - P3 - W1 D0 L2 - +2 -5 GD -3 - 3pt
19 - Serbia - P3 - W0 D2 L1 - +1 -2 GD -1 - 2pt
*20 - Croatia - P3 - W0 D2 L1 - +3 -6 GD -3 - 2pt
21 - Czechia - P3 - W0 D1 L2 - +3 -5 GD -2 - 1pt
22 - Albania - P3 - W0 D1 L2 - +3 -5 GD -2 - 1pt
23 - Poland - P3 - W0 D1 L2 - +3 -6 GD -3 - 1pt
24 - Scotland - P3 - W0 D1 L2 - +2 -7 GD -5 - 1pt

Amazing save from Mert Gunok in the Turkish goal just 30 seconds from the end.

Netherlands were impressive, Gakpo and Simons are having great tournaments.

So the quarter finals start later today, here is the schedule.

Friday.
Spain v Germany (5pm)
Portugal v France (8pm)

Saturday.
England v Switzerland (5pm)
Netherlands v Turkey (8pm)

The semi finals are on Tuesday & Wednesday with the final taking place next Sunday.

Well.

I was supporting Germany tonight, but I can't begrudge Spain the win - both teams have been excellent tonight, and the attacking passion and technique of both teams put some other countries to shame (not naming any names, of course!
lookaround.gif
). Even after Spain's late ET goal, Germany still kept fighting and so nearly got an equaliser.

As for Roy Keane's comment (UK/ITV commentator) about both sides playing for penalties "because it is more exciting", that's about the worst take (and attitude) I've ever heard - granted, he was a great footballer, but he's a lousy pundit - and that attitude sums it all up.

Well done Spain :) , hard luck Germany :( And I've got 21 mins to get my dinner.

Last edited:
Guess I found out why it was a header instead of hand

1720277921826.png

[edit] I'm fine with the decision of the referee, like many other Germans too with working brains 🙃

Last edited:
People are looking at a picture of the handball and going, how isn't it a penalty? It happens in a split second and the argument is simply that is it a deliberately handball or unnatural position at that speed?

Given how strict UEFA have been on handballs, taking a lot of them out of the referees hands, there's no argument for Germany imo.

England appear to be setting up for a more attacking formation today, I think how Switzerland play will let England open up and play their game more than they've been able to so far.

Today's predictions:

England 3-1 Switzerland
Netherlands 4-0 Turkey

Last edited:
I think England need to start Toney, Palmer, Trent for the semi. Trent is better than Trippier in that system, why he didn't do that today is beyond me, Palmer actually moves the ball forwards, Toney is the target man Kane should be but keeps not being.

Pickford

Konsa
Stones
Walker

Trent
Palmer
Bellingham
Rice
Saka

Foden

Toney

Is it just me or has this been the dreariest Euros ever?

I mean, I don't remember a thing about Euro 2012 but it wasn't this pants.

Is it just me or has this been the dreariest Euros ever?

I mean, I don't remember a thing about Euro 2012 but it wasn't this pants.
The final we want: Spain Vs Turkey
The final we will unfortunately probably get: France Vs England

So many big teams have been dire this tournament that it'll be a disservice if anyone except Spain wins at this rate.

Still, Germany has been a million times better as a host nation than: Qatar, COVID and Russia. That part has at least been exceptional.

Last edited:
The final we want: Spain Vs Turkey
The final we will unfortunately probably get: France Vs England

So many big teams have been dire this tournament that it'll be a disservice if anyone except Spain wins at this rate.

Still, Germany has been a million times better as a host nation than: Qatar, COVID and Russia. That part has at least been exceptional.
"we"

Speak for yourself, man. I don't want Spain there.

Turkey have been excellent, but unfortunately they've been caught out a couple of times.

But their determination, energy and attacking nature has been one of the few highlights of this tournament.

Even though they are winning, I don't fancy Netherlands to win this tournament - but I think Turkey would pose more of a challenge to England in the Semis than Holland.

My guess - Spain v England final; England to either win on penalties after another stultifying performance, or Spain to win 3-0.

Turkey have been excellent, but unfortunately they've been caught out a couple of times.

But their determination, energy and attacking nature has been one of the few highlights of this tournament.

Even though they are winning, I don't fancy Netherlands to win this tournament - but I think Turkey would pose more of a challenge to England in the Semis than Holland.

My guess - Spain v England final; England to either win on penalties after another stultifying performance, or Spain to win 3-0.
Agreed. I'd much rather be facing Netherlands than Turkey. Netherlands are predictable, open and lack star quality. Turkey are unpredictable, but will also play defensive counter attacking against England which we will struggle to play through.

I think we'll beat Netherlands comfortably if we start the right players. Spain will beat France.

Back