UEFA Euro 2024 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 242 comments
It's weird that England (and to an extent France) have been this bad and boring but... semi-finals.

Maybe they're just trying not to peak early and grind it out like Greece?

Edit: Team rankings!

1 - Spain - P5 - W4 D1 L0 - +11 -2 GD +9 - 13pt
2 - Netherlands - P5 - W3 D1 L1 - +9 -5 GD +4 - 10pt
3 - France - P5 - W2 D3 L0 - +3 -1 GD +2 - 9pt
4 - England - P5 - W1 D4 L0 - +4 -3 GD +1 - 7pt
5 - Germany - P5 - W3 D2 L0 - +11 -4 GD +7 - 11pt
6 - Switzerland - P5 - W2 D3 L0 - +8 -4 GD +4 - 9pt
7 - Turkey - P5 - W3 D0 L2 - +8 -8 GD 0 - 9pt
8 - Portugal - P5 - W2 D2 L1 - +5 -3 GD +2 - 8pt
9 - Austria - P4 - W2 D0 L2 - +7 -6 GD +1 - 6pt
10 - Slovakia - P4 - W1 D2 L1 - +4 -4 GD 0 - 5pt
11 - Belgium - P4 - W1 D1 L2 - +2 -2 GD 0 - 4pt
12 - Slovenia - P4 - W0 D3 L0 - +2 -2 GD 0 - 4pt
13 - Romania - P4 - W1 D1 L2 - +4 -6 GD -2 - 4pt
14 - Italy - P4 - W1 D1 L2 - +3 -5 GD -2 - 4pt
15 - Georgia - P4 - W1 D1 L2 - +5 -8 GD -3 - 4pt
16 - Denmark - P4 - W0 D3 L1 - +2 -4 GD -2 - 3pt
*17 - Ukraine - P3 - W1 D1 L1 - +2 -4 GD -2 - 4pt
18 - Hungary - P3 - W1 D0 L2 - +2 -5 GD -3 - 3pt
19 - Serbia - P3 - W0 D2 L1 - +1 -2 GD -1 - 2pt
*20 - Croatia - P3 - W0 D2 L1 - +3 -6 GD -3 - 2pt
21 - Czechia - P3 - W0 D1 L2 - +3 -5 GD -2 - 1pt
22 - Albania - P3 - W0 D1 L2 - +3 -5 GD -2 - 1pt
23 - Poland - P3 - W0 D1 L2 - +3 -6 GD -3 - 1pt
24 - Scotland - P3 - W0 D1 L2 - +2 -7 GD -5 - 1pt

Last edited:
Is it just me or has this been the dreariest Euros ever?

I mean, I don't remember a thing about Euro 2012 but it wasn't this pants.
My take: 1) Quite a lot of games in any competition/tournament are dull (until they briefly/suddenly aren't, and that's what we prefer to remember), and 2) club football now so insanely well-drilled/fast that international football can look comparatively dreadful in some respects.

Is it just me or has this been the dreariest Euros ever?

I mean, I don't remember a thing about Euro 2012 but it wasn't this pants.
It's been a slog to watch any game, to be honest. Copa America has been much better with our skinny U13 pitches. Everyone in Europe plays Guardiola-Ball now and it's annoying-- attack space at all costs, even if the space is between your CBs and GK.

International soccer was more fun when nations had their own tactical identities. Italy with the catenaccio, Brazil with joga bonito, the Spanish false 9, the English direct 4-4-2 with big forwards and big teeth, the Argentines with their attacking handballing midfield. You can't tell a country apart from another just from watching their movement these days.

It was very bad. We played very well but it didn't happen. Sometimes luck is not on your side. The Dutch defense had difficulty against our horses.

🐴🐴

Lamine Yamal with the goal of the Euros.

3 goals. But Owen Goals strikes again.

Also those petty Germans booing Cucurella.

Last edited:
p78

Phenomenal goal from Yamal - certainly a Messi protégé!

Pity that the second Spain goal will go down as an OG - I think it was going in, and the defender had no choice but to at least attempt to clear it, but it was a superbly taken chance.

As for the booing...

you-wouldnt-let-it-lie-vic-reeves.gif

Last edited:
They should buy a ticket for the first Premier league game Taylor has to ref and boo him.
Granted Cucurella had a handball, but Taylor is the one at fault.

Expected a dry one but now 2 goals in 20 mins 🔥

p78

Phenomenal goal from Yamal - certainly a Messi protégé!

Pity that the second Spain goal will go down as an OG - I think it was going in, and the defender had no choice but to at least attempt to clear it, but it was a superbly taken chance.

As for the booing...

you-wouldnt-let-it-lie-vic-reeves.gif
I think the word you're looking for is - classic.

Also, it's no longer given to Owen Goals. Sorry @Famine ;)

Absolute pain. Ugh. Need Netherlands to take care of Spain now, can't see England managing it.

So well deserved for Spain, they have been the best team in the tournament and they outplayed France.

Lamine Yamal's goal was staggering for his age and we will be talking about it for years and even decades to come, Rodri and Olmo were also superb.

Disappointing for France who had an underwhelming tournament, that Kolo Muani goal was their only goal from open play, Mbappe was rubbish too, I wonder where Deschamps goes from here.

Yamal's goal was filthy, but so was Olmo's touch.

Mbappe needs a target man to play ahead of him. He is so fast that he is alone and unsupported for most of his attacks. France had plenty of opportunities but Raheem Sterling levels of finishing.

My English mate has gone to some extraordinary lengths to avoid watching the game tonight - he flew to Japan yesterday morning, and despite there being plenty of 'ex-pat' bars there, the game starts at 4am in Tokyo so he will struggle to even watch it live in his hotel.

-

I am officially not supporting either side tonight, but I would like to see a convincing win - and would really like for England especially to avoid another drudge-fest, and scraping through on penalties. If England can muster a performance and win by a couple of goals, however, I'd be happy to see that. That said, both teams will face trouble against Spain, and I doubt Southgate's current strategy will work against Spain. Let's see if it wil even work against Netherlands.

I think it'll be 3-1 England, I think we have enough to overpower the Dutch and I have a feeling England will turn up today and put in the performance we've been waiting for.

Found a locally brewed beer that is made with German hops, English malt and Dutch yeast, so a very on point drink for the evening.

Ah **** it, come on England!

-

After the initial COVID lockdown, my lockdown social bubble was me and 3 great friends in Glasgow - one Englishman, one Spaniard and one Dutch guy... so you can maybe forgive me that my loyalties are a bit split 😅

As you might expect, my Spanish mate is passionate (but not that into football), my Dutch mate couldn't care less about the Euros, and my English mate is football mad and is depressed that so many Scottish people are ABEs (Anyone But England), so I do try to emphasise that I'm not one of those.

-

Jeezo, literally just posted this and my Dutch mate posted a pic of him and his son all hyped up for the football!!... oh well, it's the old Scottish privilege... support some other team that it 10 times better than us 😅

Last edited:
p78
Damn, Simons what a quick goal.

Guess its decided.
England have only ever started playing after going behind in this tournament... Guess Netherlands didn't want 85 minutes of relaxation first.

Best possible thing for the neutral for an early goal - England are now going to have to actually play.

-

Oh well, that's farcical. :(

Last edited:
Weird, weird, weird call for a penalty, that.

Didn't Jude Bellingham once get into trouble for referring to the fact this referee was fined for match-fixing?

Weird, weird, weird call for a penalty, that.

Didn't Jude Bellingham once get into trouble for referring to the fact this referee was fined for match-fixing?
Yeah, after a controversial 3-2 loss against Bayern München where two potential penalties were turned down he got fined €40,000 for saying:
"You give a referee, that has match fixed before, the biggest game in Germany. What do you expect?"

Last edited:
Score update:

Chances of me staying sober tonight - 0 Chances of me running to the offy for more beer at half-time - 3

-

That Foden chap... he's quite good.

Last edited:
Back