"Under the Radar: Kia Soul" (Starts at $13,995)

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 87 comments
Makes me wonder if they'll give away gift certificates to Seoul Garden here in Grand Rapids...

Together with the Cee'd, it looks like Kia's attempt to make better cars is coming along well. Mind you, they could have picked a better colour for these shots, rather than diarrhea green.

I'm just thankful that the white and gold one has disappeared.

car_photo_257469_25.jpg

I'm just thankful that the white and gold one has disappeared.

Ah yes, the Soul "Diva". Charmingly tasteless. I much preferred the Soul Burner:

DSC_0779.jpg

And with regard to the London Motorshow where I took that pic, I also urge Kia to produce the Kee:

DSC_0775.jpg

Some time next year, I believe. We'll see if they're still afloat to bring it, God only knows with the way things have been...

I really like it, it looks unique and very modern without ending up being another small car clone that just looks like a Fiesta or a Ka.

Any ideas what kind of MPG it would get? Would it not have been better to use a smaller engine with a turbo? I don't know a lot about these sort of things... :/

Given the market it'd be sliding into while here in the US, I'd expect it to average numbers somewhere around 30 USMPG (about 36 UKMPG), but it will be a while before there is anything official from the EPA I believe. Not overly spectacular, but pretty good here. I think you're getting different trim(s) than what we will, however.

I assume that you're right, but I don't know for sure. I think it would be more or less Rio-sized, just with a highly stylized body.

Interesting that you mention the Cube, though. I had completely forgot about it as a Soul competitor, and that would be a pretty interesting comparison.

Hm. What does the "Sport" Trim get you? some nice hardware, or just bigger wheels?

I'm wondering what the Soul ! is all about. That's gotta be a salesman's worst nightmare... "Here we have the Soul, the Soul Plus, the Soul Exclamation Point, and the Soul Sport."

I sat in one at the auto show, and it's rather larger than a Fit. It's not much larger, but certainly larger.

Also, it's crazily comfortable and otherwise wonderful to sit in. It looks fantastic!

What the bloody hell is a moonroof? XD

Is that the US equivalent of what, on my car, is called simply a 'glass roof'?

Its just an electric sun roof, for some reason those two names are interchangeable here in the US.

At Detroit: The Kia Soul'ster

car_photo_299519_25.jpg

Kia is bringing the beach to the 2009 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) on a cold Detroit winter day. Introducing the Kia Soul'ster open-air concept, a pick-up style variation of the imminent Kia Soul urban crossover.

Soul'ster is a two-door concept with roadster roots. Along with a brightly colored "Sour yellow" finish, the Soul'ster projects a hip industrial look, reminiscent of a rivet design found on a fighter jet. The windshield is shortened for a sportier and hunkered down appearance, while a two-piece top enables passengers to expose the front and back seating areas independently.

"Soul'ster delivers something new, intriguing and relevant to today's buyers - a fun, affordable convertible for active people who like to share good times with friends," said Tom Kearns, Kia Motors America chief designer.

Lighting is an important theme - there's an amber glow under the headlamps, and the side vents, side-mirror indicators, unique LED headlamps and tail lamps incorporate blue shades.

Once inside, the Soul'ster features a variation on the Soul's seating arrangement, adding even more space and versatility. It can accomodate four adult plus luggage with ease.

A number of engine options can be used with the Soul'ster, including 1.6-litre or 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol units with 120bhp and 140bhp respectively, but the 1.6-litre turbodiesel is bound to be the biggest hit with UK buyers.

However, the Soul'ster remains just a design for the time being - designed to drum up interest in the Soul, which goes on sale later in 2009.

Source: Auto Express

So only a concept then, but I like it. It's a pity I live somewhere cold and wet, otherwise I'd love a car like this :lol:

Please? We haven't had such an awesomely impractical SUV-thing since Suzuki went and became a snooty jerk and stopped building them. Chevy wouldn't even build the Blazer that they showed off.

When was the last time we had an open air SUV thingy (that wasn't a Wrangler)? Was it before Kia got serious about building cars and trucks?

Please? We haven't had such an awesomely impractical SUV-thing since Suzuki went and became a snooty jerk and stopped building them. Chevy wouldn't even build the Blazer that they showed off.

How would said Kia be impractical? It's more or less the normal Soul with the roof half cut-off, and four seats instead of five.

This is funky...and coming from Korea means good build quality and cheap. I approve.

How would said Kia be impractical? It's more or less the normal Soul with the roof half cut-off, and four seats instead of five.

Did you guys get the Sportage convertible in the UK?

800px-Kia-Sportage-2door.jpg

My friend had one and it was a terrible blessing. Yes, it was awesome to have the top down in the summer and to be able to literally throw your crap in the back and go... But any time the top was up, it was leaky, drafty, "flappy" and otherwise unpleasant. Not to mention the terrible bench seats in the back and the horrific build quality at the time. "Cool" because no one else does it, "uncool" because they did it so bad.

...Makes me miss the old redone Suzukis they sold as Geos here back in the '90s...

Back