"Under the Radar: Kia Soul" (Starts at $13,995)

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 87 comments
How would said Kia be impractical? It's more or less the normal Soul with the roof half cut-off, and four seats instead of five.
That's why. Its a car you'll love so long as you live in a place where you never have to put the roof back on.

@ YSSMAN: Thanks. I forgot about the Sportage.

Did you guys get the Sportage convertible in the UK?

My friend had one and it was a terrible blessing. Yes, it was awesome to have the top down in the summer and to be able to literally throw your crap in the back and go... But any time the top was up, it was leaky, drafty, "flappy" and otherwise unpleasant. Not to mention the terrible bench seats in the back and the horrific build quality at the time. "Cool" because no one else does it, "uncool" because they did it so bad.

...Makes me miss the old redone Suzukis they sold as Geos here back in the '90s...

We didn't get it, no. We've had similar affairs based on the Suzuki Jimny and Vitara, and the Land Rover Freelander though. To be fair on the Soul'ster, it's had another decade or more of development so the roof is unlikely to be the leaky, flappy thing you describe.

Toronado - as above. I suspect they've got the issues with things like that pretty much ironed out by now.

Plus you won't have to worry as they're unlikely to make the thing anyway...

If they did make it, they could design a hardtop that comes apart in pieces like a soft top, so it doesn't weigh a ton nor take up a lot of space. They could have the main top, rear hatch, and the two side windows.

Y'know what this instantly reminded me of?

skoda_felicia_fun_05.jpg

That Skoda Felicia 'Fun' thing, where the rear seats move backwards into the flatbed for an open air experience.

That sold well.

We didn't get it, no. We've had similar affairs based on the Suzuki Jimny and Vitara, and the Land Rover Freelander though.

I've always quite fancied one of those Freelander soft-tops. I know it's a bit like having a Solihull-engineered bin bag on the back of your car, but they look so pretty!

05.jpg

(Actually you can take the hard-backed ones off too, but I suspect that's a bit like trying to remove a cordless kettle from a rhino's colon)

That Skoda Felicia 'Fun' thing, where the rear seats move backwards into the flatbed for an open air experience.

You legend. I was thinking exactly the same thing when I first saw the Kia, but was too scared to mention it :lol:

I've always quite fancied one of those Freelander soft-tops. I know it's a bit like having a Solihull-engineered bin bag on the back of your car, but they look so pretty!

Around ten years ago when the Freelander first came out and I was 13, I would have agreed with you, but in the last few years I've begun to dislike the truncated 3dr versions of small 4x4s in favour of the 5drs which give you more of pretty much everything.

If I were forced to buy a small, convertible 4x4 though I'd get the aforementioned Jimny, as it'd be more reliable than the Landie and equally as good off road, but much cheaper to run.

Suzuki%20Jimny%20jeep.jpg

You know what, I don't remember if we ended up getting the soft-top Freelander or not. I really can't recall ever seeing one.

The whole idea is "iffy" at best. There have been well-done ones, Jeeps in particular, and others that didn't go over so well. The Kia, first and foremost, comes to mind.

Around ten years ago when the Freelander first came out and I was 13, I would have agreed with you, but in the last few years I've begun to dislike the truncated 3dr versions of small 4x4s in favour of the 5drs which give you more of pretty much everything.

Actually, just to be car-bore-y and annoying, the only thing that distinguishes the 3dr Freelander from the 5dr is its lack of 2 doors and slightly reduced price tag. I think LR couldn't be bothered to re-engineer a smaller 3 door, so it's basically the same length, wheelbase etc (unlike a Vitara or a Rav4 where they remove any usefulness whatsoever).

If I were forced to buy a small, convertible 4x4 though I'd get the aforementioned Jimny, as it'd be more reliable than the Landie and equally as good off road, but much cheaper to run.

I think I'd agree with you if I was just going to use it off-road. I'd probably end up driving the Jimny off a cliff after a couple of journeys on a dual carriage way, though. And it's a bit like driving around in a giant LGBT flag. Let's be honest here, it's for people who want the Jeep Wrangler from Queer As Folk but realise they can't afford to run one. So, me, basically. But I still wouldn't buy one.

Actually, just to be car-bore-y and annoying, the only thing that distinguishes the 3dr Freelander from the 5dr is its lack of 2 doors and slightly reduced price tag. I think LR couldn't be bothered to re-engineer a smaller 3 door, so it's basically the same length, wheelbase etc (unlike a Vitara or a Rav4 where they remove any usefulness whatsoever).

You said it yourself. Why make 2 platforms and reduce the interior space like everyone else? Course I don't think there was really that much rear-space in the 5-door in the first place.

There wasn't - about the same as an Astra, in fact. Not much of a boot for an SUV either. And a poor turning circle. And iffy electrics.

Anyway, that's a different rant for a different thread...

By jove you're right. Well the 5dr looks longer, at any rate, so I like it's proportions better. That said, given the choice I'd have the RAV4 you mentioned. As a 5 door, obviously.

Or even the Kia Sportage (to try and bring us vaguely full circle...)

Bump from the dead to avoid a new thread. (tehe I rhymed)

2017 Kia Soul Gets 201 HP 1.6-Liter Turbo Four, 7-Speed Dual-Clutch Transmission

Powered by the 1.6-liter T-GDI, which comes straight from the Cee'd GT and Pro_Cee'd GT, it becomes the most powerful Soul ever engineered by the South Korean brand with 201 HP that are directed to the front wheels through a new 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.

From 0 to 60 mph (96 km/h), it needs 7.5 seconds and it can go up to 122 mph (196 km/h). Stopping power comes from larger brakes and drivers can choose between Normal, Eco, and Sport modes.

Should be decent fun. Not the most powerful of engines of that size but better than anything we've had so far in the Soul.

That raises the performance bar in that segment. Suzuki might have to up the boost in the Vitara and Mazda are going to have to add a turbo in the CX-3. Let the games begin. :sly:

That raises the performance bar in that segment. Suzuki might have to up the boost in the Vitara and Mazda are going to have to add a turbo in the CX-3. Let the games begin. :sly:
Nissan already sells the Juke Nismo in that segment - will be interesting to compare the pair. I do like the standard Soul so a hotter version could be neat.

Having driven a couple of these as rentals, they need a little bit more starch in the suspension and less body roll; then again, it's not pretending to be a GTI.

Seems like they still sell really well, though.

Nissan already sells the Juke Nismo in that segment - will be interesting to compare the pair. I do like the standard Soul so a hotter version could be neat.
Hopefully it makes its way here. I like the base Juke.

-> Too bad theres no 6MT (yet). I'd like to have a boxy Veloster...

2013-hyunda-veloster-turbo-interior.jpg

:indiff:

Hopefully it makes its way here.
^ Oh, don't worry. The Soul Turbo will definitely debut at the LA Auto Show, on which I will be going soon!

kia-soul-turbo-teaser.jpg

;)

-> Too bad theres no 6MT (yet). I'd like to have a boxy Veloster...

2013-hyunda-veloster-turbo-interior.jpg

:indiff:

^ Oh, don't worry. The Soul Turbo will definitely debut at the LA Auto Show, on which I will be going soon!

kia-soul-turbo-teaser.jpg

;)
I mean the Juke NISMO.

Kia Australia posted the Soul turbo is unlikely to be sold here. As an example, the top CX-3 AWD diesel is about $38kAUD. The Soul is around $26k. I don't see many and if the Turbo was priced under $40k, I doubt they would run out of stock.

Curious, how reliable are these things?

As far as I've understood, on-par with most new cars these days - Otherwise known as "pretty good." The girlfriend's family has two of them, and they've managed to go without any kind of major problem over the past five or so years they've had them. A good bit of that reliability, I'm sure, comes from the ubiquity of the powertrains in them, shared across the board with most of the volume Kia and Hyundai models. Getting onto the turbo and DCT options, I think you're mileage is going to vary. I'd trust a new Soul with those options more than I would an early version of the Veloster Turbo with the same equipment, but there has been a lot of refinement on that as those pieces have made their way into more vehicles.

As far as I've understood, on-par with most new cars these days - Otherwise known as "pretty good." The girlfriend's family has two of them, and they've managed to go without any kind of major problem over the past five or so years they've had them. A good bit of that reliability, I'm sure, comes from the ubiquity of the powertrains in them, shared across the board with most of the volume Kia and Hyundai models. Getting onto the turbo and DCT options, I think you're mileage is going to vary. I'd trust a new Soul with those options more than I would an early version of the Veloster Turbo with the same equipment, but there has been a lot of refinement on that as those pieces have made their way into more vehicles.

The engines should be good. Here, we get them with those nifty 1.6 diesels that Hyundai-Kia put in everything, and owners love them. (Only H-K products I've seen widespread issues for in online trawling are the Tucson-Sportage and Sonata).

-

The Soul is a pretty good tall car to drive... more than competent for the occassional canyon carve, as long as you have the right variant. I imagine it'd be pretty good with the Veloster turbo, but the DCT could use a bit more tweaking in terms of responsiveness. The lack of a torque converter means that it has to go gentle on some shifts to preserve itself. Adding a torque converter would add some much needed pep to the proceedings.

You would have thought it would be released looking something like the fantastic Trackster concept from a few years ago.

Back