Underutilized content in video games?

United States
The US of A
I am sure we’ve played video games before and found some interesting stuff we liked, but for some reason, it was only available in a certain part of the game, when it could have been utilized a whole lot more. Such as a car that you can only drive in one event, a gun that is only used in one mission, a character that you can only use in one level, or even stuff that isn’t available to the player at all, but is used by the AI. I know I’ve seen a lot of examples of this before and I am sure other people have to, so feel free to share them here! 🙂 While you’re at it, you can also describe how you think it should have been utilized and why if you really want to.

Note: Hidden content does NOT count. The only exception I’ll make is if it was something that was only available online for a short period of time and then later became unused when it was over. That is fine, but if it wasn’t used at any point in the game, then it doesn’t belong here.

One that sticks out for me is engine upgrades in Mad Max, if you're a completionist or just want to take the story at your own pace you can end up unlocking almost all of the parts for the Opus except for the first engine upgrade which is gated behind a story mission. When I did this I had enough scrap saved that I was able to buy the first and second engine upgrades as soon as I unlocked first, and I finished the game not long after. For a game that's basically all about upgrading your car that was pretty lame, especially since the engine is such a big part of the concept of what a car is and the culture (if you will) in the Mad Max universe basically revolves around engines, cars and gasoline.

On a similar post-apocalyptic desert hellscape note, Rage had different ammo types for each weapon and toward the end of the game I got some new super ammo for the handgun and the game was also hyping up the end at around the same time, so obviously I assumed it was basically hinting that a boss was right around the corner. I can't remember exactly what happened but I do remember holding onto all that ammo in preparation for a boss that never came so I still don't know what that ammo did.

The Red Bull X2010 5G in Gran Turismo 5.
1726250114501.png

When I made this comment in the OP:
The only exception I’ll make is if it was something that was only available online for a short period of time and then later became unused when it was over.
This car was the very reason I did. I should note, GT5 has 3 variants of it in the game, but only one was used and that's the one you're looking at here. For those who don't know, this was a car in the game that was only used for a seasonal event in Japan back in 2012. While you could drive it in that event, it wasn't given out to the player and once it was over, it became unable to be driven again. (outside of hacking anyhow)

Why they would take the time to create this car, feature it in a seasonal event in Japan for a limited time only and then make it where you can't obtain it outside of hacking is beyond me. Which is a shame, because it's a nice car that unlike the other Red Bull's, can actually be painted and it has a cool start-up sound too. This should have been made available to the player and the fact it isn't was a mistake in my opinion.

Last edited:
The bonus cars in Need For Speed Most Wanted being unusable in Career mode felt like a waste. Felt like a missed opportunity to not use the only other race car in game (Corvette C6.R) against Razor in the BMW M3 GTR.

Speaking of the M3, having it taken away from the player at the beginning of Carbon was a slap in the face.

The bonus cars in Need For Speed Most Wanted being unusable in Career mode felt like a waste. Felt like a missed opportunity to not use the only other race car in game (Corvette C6.R) against Razor in the BMW M3 GTR.
I agree! Not just the C6.R, but the same goes for the SL65, Porsche 911 GT2, BMW M3 GTR (Street), and the Camaro. It would have been pretty awesome to be able to use them in career and add them to my cars on the main menu. I think I read somewhere years ago that they were going to be utilized a bit more at one point in development and even be customizable, but were never quite finished enough for that to happen, so they ended up as bonus cars. Still, it's a wonder why they wouldn't just block the parts that weren't available like they did with the M3 GTR.

Let's not forget the playable cop cars and playable traffic from the challenge series. It's a huge shame they were only ever available there because I really enjoyed driving them and their exclusion from everything else actually bothers me even more than the other cars I just mentioned.

Fortunately, a little bit of modding or hacking can change all that, even on console versions, but we really should not have to do that though, they should've been available everywhere.
Speaking of the M3, having it taken away from the player at the beginning of Carbon was a slap in the face.
Yep, and it's too bad you can't reclaim it later on in the career too. I wouldn't want it to be like MW where you spend the entire career trying to get it back again, but rather just have it so the player can get it back at some point in the career.

Last edited:
Lezduit in High on Life.
So he's a gun you get to use on the very last mission of the game and nowhere else. I totally understand why he was reserved for the very end because he's extremely overpowered and would make the game far too easy to beat. However, what really sucks though is once you beat the last mission, you can't use him ever again.

To be fair, there was a glitch that allowed you to use him afterward, however weird things happen when he's used outside his intended level and I imagine they didn't have time to make it so he could. So that may have been why he was utilized the way he was. Still, I wish he was a lot more usable.

Back