Wayside's DIY SCRC

• Thread starter wayside
  • 86 comments
Hi i have been checking your cockpit out in google sketch, awsome design but I was wondering If I could make it 1300mm instead of 1600mm?
how big are you? Im 5,8 and Im going to do some sort of cockpit but space is limited In my new house

I am 5'10" and I have the seat almost all the way forward. My brother in law is approx 5'8" and he does fine with the seat all the way forward but I see no reason why you couldn't shorten it a bit.

great job Wayside, basic, efficient and very neat:tup:

Thanks!

It always amazes me just how high-end the G25/27 pedals look when removed and custom mounted.

I'm still using those pedals with my CSRE and they still work great. Nice cockpit btw. I like how the sound system is self-contained. I have to use headphones myself.

I use it so much I havent had time to do the finishing work (want to paint and add ebrake)

1.jpg

2.jpg

its a great design

Yes and I bet it didnt take 2 years to build and you are able to enjoy it...
Not a bad efford????? a damned good one IMO ;) wish I had one just like it.

thats super nice man. Best part is that you can keep upgrading it because its got lots of room for stuff like speakers and e-brake and other stuff. Well done.

I use it so much I havent had time to do the finishing work (want to paint and add ebrake)

1.jpg

2.jpg

its a great design

Nice build, is the part where the shifter is placed (brown part). Is that just one whole piece of wood? or did you put a thin piece over the gaps.
Like if you did it how it was in the sketch up plan there would be gaps, did you lay wood over it... how... im building this in a couple of days?

Hi, I hope this thread is still being viewed as its been a long time on the go.

Ive just registered today when I stumbled across this site while searching for plans to make a wooden DIY rig. I found this and it look beautifully simple and I can probably make something like it. Perhaps not as perfectly well made, but as Ive no experience at all with woodwork other than a few lessons at school 20 years ago!

Ive got a fair bit of space and Id love to build this. I rent a house from a builder who has emigrated to Australia. The garage has some power tools, circular saw, jigsaw and the like. So Im sure if Im careful, I can avoid losing limbs!

In the garage there is a few bits of spare wood left over from when he built this house. Im allowed to use it for whatever I want, so it will keep the costs right down.

The wood is not your typical 2 x 4. its more 6 x 2 from my rough measurements. This should be OK still I think. I will probably not do exactly as this design, but about 90% of it.

Ive installed the sketch program and worked out how to get the measurements. Ive tried over and over with the protractor tool, but still cant figure out how to measure the angle of the main uprights that the wheel deck is attached to. Can anyone tell me the angle I should use on both ends of the wood.

Ive a few days off work this week, so Im going to try and start this tomorrow.

Im quite excited, Ive never EVER done anything at all like this and had been looking at buying one for over a year now, but now I have a great opportunity to do this. I will also be very proud of showing it off shouting "I made that!".

Well Ive been out in the garage today and I popped back and forth to my pc to learn how to attach the saw blades, use the tools safely etc. Its amazing what you can learn from few YouTube instructional videos.

Ive got a long way to go obviously, but its starting to take shape. I had a few problems trying to get the uprights (angled pieces) attached to the main base, so I found some metal strips and cut them into bits with a hacksaw and used them to secure everything. Its certainly not as tidy, especially on the outside, but it really was required as I didnt have long enough screws. Ive not bought any single part of this vuild, everything was in the garage, so apart from having to buy a seat, it should work out very cheap indeed.

Im knackered now actually, but looking forward to continuing tomorrow. Here are a few photos so far.

Here are the plans I printed out after adding the dimensions to them
plans.jpg

Here are some of the power tools laying in the garage
tools.jpg

and some more tools which I dragged down from the second floor
dewaltsaw.jpg

A big moment for me, the fear of messing this up!
dewaltcuttingwood.jpg

I tried different ways to countersink, second way worked best.
countersunk.jpg

drillingcountersunkhole.jpg

Here are the main base sections cut and the angled uprights
basecutonfloor.jpg

After struggling to attach the angled uprights to the base securly, I cut this metal bar into pieces
hacksawcuttingbraces.jpg

Although it is quite ugly, its made it rock solid
metalbracejoint.jpg

I cut this plywood up to use as the deck for the wheel, but it was flimsy and flexed under pressure, so I changed it.
originalbasewastoothin.jpg

Finished for today, the base and uprights are secure and rock solid. I also did a little bit of sanding of the wheel deck to round of the squared edges.
baseandwheeldone.jpg

Looking forward to getting the rest done tomorrow.

Last edited:
You are doing great, keep on the good job.
(Why don't you start a new thread with your own cockpit - from the beginning to end?)

Sorry for bringing up a old thread. I"m not sure if he is still around, but I felt I should thank wayside for sharing his plans. So this is my version of his shelf contained Rig.

A couple of assembly pictures
framez.jpg

frontframe.jpg

framewshifternseatright.jpg

Some in the house

picture011day.jpg

rig2003.jpg

rig019.jpg

rig022.jpg

under the hood :)

rig020.jpg

I inverted the clutch and brake. I mounted the accel. on a 1/4 piece of
board and slotted the floor board so the pedal is recessed in it.

rig2005.jpg

rig023.jpg

I still want to add another buttkicker, get a better reciever and paint it
once it warms up around here. Then I have to remodel the room.

Question for those using the sketchup file. Are there dimensions in there? I see the sketchup using the free viewer, but there is no information about the dimensions of each component. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

polizei here you go.

Attachments

• 2ad4431f1f399030df1c4c8ff5331145.jpg
    2ad4431f1f399030df1c4c8ff5331145.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 4cc954aced5033bc1fdcee23836862f0.jpg
    4cc954aced5033bc1fdcee23836862f0.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 5f52f7cfaa622b2e272c0bab4141ecd8.jpg
    5f52f7cfaa622b2e272c0bab4141ecd8.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 6c5c014a6e69a919afbb0cb1a7819453.jpg
    6c5c014a6e69a919afbb0cb1a7819453.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 8acfa606af47777b1e3b86be83591a16.jpg
    8acfa606af47777b1e3b86be83591a16.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 030be518038d7ec0b6a6deb3c411fabd.jpg
    030be518038d7ec0b6a6deb3c411fabd.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 50be83ed3b5a1b986fa30ce96c7d9c9f.jpg
    50be83ed3b5a1b986fa30ce96c7d9c9f.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 922b85afee04fd918e28824182efb623.jpg
    922b85afee04fd918e28824182efb623.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 81601c9159dcaed173718ec92510f15e (1).jpg
    81601c9159dcaed173718ec92510f15e (1).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 81601c9159dcaed173718ec92510f15e.jpg
    81601c9159dcaed173718ec92510f15e.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 184
  • a78307b783eb15164945fc8bafb842e6.jpg
    a78307b783eb15164945fc8bafb842e6.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 180
  • d0bf8474528c2f72ec8e1608034ae5d5.jpg
    d0bf8474528c2f72ec8e1608034ae5d5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 181
  • dacb92e1756cab9c88f67cc98cd3f590.jpg
    dacb92e1756cab9c88f67cc98cd3f590.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 183
  • f0bdec930a12d8f62971fb474f341239.jpg
    f0bdec930a12d8f62971fb474f341239.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 180
  • f9b4ffcfb0957f6dccbb4c42010519cb.jpg
    f9b4ffcfb0957f6dccbb4c42010519cb.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 191
  • f72574df2b93fb648abe556e8b3cb075.jpg
    f72574df2b93fb648abe556e8b3cb075.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 188
  • fe7ea629d4adecedb7400800dbe0bf78.jpg
    fe7ea629d4adecedb7400800dbe0bf78.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 268
This is my interpretation of a Self Contained Racing Cockpit.

You will notice the design influences from Chilicoke's DIY cockpit. The simplicity of his design coupled with the real car feel that it appeared to provide is what made me say, “I must have one of those”.

That being said, I also wanted a self contained unit that was easy to move around. It had to be easy to get in and out of. The general construction costs had to be on the cheap and I wanted it to be something that anyone with a chop saw, skill saw, drill gun and some lumber could easily screw together.

Here are some pictures of the finished product:

SCRC_1.jpg

SCRC_2.jpg

SCRC_3.jpg

SCRC_4.jpg

SCRC_5.jpg

SCRC_6.jpg

SCRC_7.jpg

SCRC_8.jpg

Equipment used in this project:

-Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
-Logitech X 540 multimedia speaker system
-Hannspree 23'' Widescreen LCD 1080p
-Summit Racing Sport Seat w/Levers

I used Google SketchUp to design the cockpit. Once I had it looking pretty good and the measurements made sense I went out to the garage and cut all the lumber for the basic frame in one shot. I assembled the basic frame and made sure the seat rails matched up and that the dash placement was good.

SCRC_C_1.jpg

SCRC_C_2.jpg

SCRC_C_3.jpg

SCRC_C_4.jpg

Next I was stuck waiting for the G27 to arrive. Once I received it I immediately pulled apart the pedals to built the pedal rack and double checked my measurements assuring the shifter would fit in the center console. The pedal rack is just a rectangle as wide as the front dash supports and tall enough to center the threaded ends of the pedals. Both items were built out of 1.5X1.5 square lumber and the inserts for the console were built from .75" plywood. The pedals were test fit using C clamps to make sure the position was perfect before they were bolted in place.

SCRC_M_1.jpg
SCRC_M_2.jpg

Getting the whole thing wired up was a little tough in the sense that I didn't want wires all over the place ruining the clean look of the cockpit. I was able to run all wires down the right side dash support and under the frame in a 1.5" wire loom. I created a space underneath the spot for the PS3 putting most of the mess 'under the hood'. Also (not pictured) the subwoofer that contains amplification for the rest of the speakers is mounted under the seat (you can see the shelf for the sub in one picture below).

SCRC_W_1.jpg

SCRC_W_2.jpg

SCRC_W_3.jpg

SCRC_W_4.jpg

SCRC_W_5.jpg

Few notes: The monitor mount was from my weight bench. It was the part that held the elbow rest and I never used it. It was hanging in my garage and I saw it out of the corner of my eye and thought, "No way that is 45 degrees". The dead pedal was cut out of some thin steel and mounted with 2 cylindrical plastic washers on some 1.5" wood cut to match the shape of the Logitech pedals. The wheels are 3-Inch 150-Pound Swivel Double Lock Rubber Plate Casters from Amazon.

So that’s my ride. Any questions, comments, things I could have done differently?

I know that DIY is not for everyone but if you are even thinking about giving it a try and have some basic wood working skills you can take a shot at this project for the cost of a few 2X4s.

SCRC_G_1.png

I'll also include my Google SketchUp plans. Install Google SketchUp if you don't already have it and you can measure every aspect of this project and even edit some stuff if you wish.

View attachment 72446

Later,

-wayside[/QUOT

Pictures please

You will notice the design influences from Chilicoke's DIY cockpit. The simplicity of his design coupled with the real car feel that it appeared to provide is what made me say, “I must have one of those”.

That being said, I also wanted a self contained unit that was easy to move around. It had to be easy to get in and out of. The general construction costs had to be on the cheap and I wanted it to be something that anyone with a chop saw, skill saw, drill gun and some lumber could easily screw together.

SCRC_1.jpg

SCRC_2.jpg

SCRC_3.jpg

SCRC_4.jpg

SCRC_5.jpg

SCRC_6.jpg

SCRC_7.jpg

SCRC_8.jpg

I used Google SketchUp to design the cockpit. Once I had it looking pretty good and the measurements made sense I went out to the garage and cut all the lumber for the basic frame in one shot. I assembled the basic frame and made sure the seat rails matched up and that the dash placement was good.

SCRC_C_1.jpg

SCRC_C_2.jpg

SCRC_C_3.jpg

SCRC_C_4.jpg

Next I was stuck waiting for the G27 to arrive. Once I received it I immediately pulled apart the pedals to built the pedal rack and double checked my measurements assuring the shifter would fit in the center console. The pedal rack is just a rectangle as wide as the front dash supports and tall enough to center the threaded ends of the pedals. Both items were built out of 1.5X1.5 square lumber and the inserts for the console were built from .75" plywood. The pedals were test fit using C clamps to make sure the position was perfect before they were bolted in place.

SCRC_M_1.jpg
SCRC_M_2.jpg

Getting the whole thing wired up was a little tough in the sense that I didn't want wires all over the place ruining the clean look of the cockpit. I was able to run all wires down the right side dash support and under the frame in a 1.5" wire loom. I created a space underneath the spot for the PS3 putting most of the mess 'under the hood'. Also (not pictured) the subwoofer that contains amplification for the rest of the speakers is mounted under the seat (you can see the shelf for the sub in one picture below).

SCRC_W_1.jpg

SCRC_W_2.jpg

SCRC_W_3.jpg

SCRC_W_4.jpg

SCRC_W_5.jpg

Few notes: The monitor mount was from my weight bench. It was the part that held the elbow rest and I never used it. It was hanging in my garage and I saw it out of the corner of my eye and thought, "No way that is 45 degrees". The dead pedal was cut out of some thin steel and mounted with 2 cylindrical plastic washers on some 1.5" wood cut to match the shape of the Logitech pedals. The wheels are 3-Inch 150-Pound Swivel Double Lock Rubber Plate Casters from Amazon.

So that’s my ride. Any questions, comments, things I could have done differently?

I know that DIY is not for everyone but if you are even thinking about giving it a try and have some basic wood working skills you can take a shot at this project for the cost of a few 2X4s.

SCRC_G_1.png

I'll also include my Google SketchUp plans. Install Google SketchUp if you don't already have it and you can measure every aspect of this project and even edit some stuff if you wish.

View attachment 72446

Later,

-wayside

Pictures please

SCRC_1.jpg

SCRC_2.jpg

SCRC_3.jpg

SCRC_4.jpg

SCRC_5.jpg

SCRC_6.jpg

SCRC_7.jpg

SCRC_8.jpg

SCRC_C_1.jpg

SCRC_C_2.jpg

SCRC_C_3.jpg

SCRC_C_4.jpg

SCRC_M_1.jpg
SCRC_M_2.jpg

SCRC_W_1.jpg

SCRC_W_2.jpg

SCRC_W_3.jpg

SCRC_W_4.jpg

SCRC_W_5.jpg

SCRC_G_1.png

View attachment 72446

Later,

-wayside

Pictures please

Back