Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 3,668 comments
Decent enough races this week and guaranteed money prizes will always be a good thing. Fuji was fun with the rain in road cars, I always wish those kind of races were a bit longer because it's just really enjoyable. VGT races are still a little boring because there's not much to use with the 850 PP limit but maybe it's because I don't have that many of the cars too. WTC 700 has a ton of different cars you can use and a chance of rain too, ended up with a 700 PP S2000 and easily won with a stop for fuel, quite like the track in the direction it's in for this race, the other way I absolutely hate it. Other two were alright, pretty easy too but at least the Urus race is on one of the fun Tokyo layouts.

Cars for this week:
full

That 800 LeMans race was a fun one. I brought a howitzer to a fistfight though...

View attachment 1366496

I do love that car. It's so alive. Fastest lap was a 3.47.7xx. not sure how that falls but for me it felt pretty quick. No stop. RMs. Try it if you haven't!
I tried, hadn't run this race with the big Nissan so far. :D
But hey, I think there's something strange about your car / setup. It's sits at 799,15 PP with only 491 hp on RM tires ? !
Or is there a detail I just didn't get, me stupid ?
Because this is my R92 at 799,05 PP :

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240621110727.jpg

And this is the race result from a very very conservative run, no stop, FM 5 - 3 :

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240621110431.jpg

I tried, hadn't run this race with the big Nissan so far. :D
But hey, I think there's something strange about your car / setup. It's sits at 799,15 PP with only 491 hp on RM tires ? !
Or is there a detail I just didn't get, me stupid ?
Because this is my R92 at 799,05 PP :

View attachment 1366575

And this is the race result from a very very conservative run, no stop, FM 5 - 3 :

View attachment 1366576
I'm not sure! I tuned it myself but don't remember what I did. Yours is much faster. 😂🍻🍻🍻🍻

Can you share your setup?

weekly-challenge-202406w4-cars.jpg

Decided to make it a Nissan week. Maybe not the smartest choice as I had to go spend 1,000,000 credits on the VGT, but that's one less VGT I have to buy. First drive in all but the Urus and GT-R Gr.4.

Fuji - 400R - Upgraded the tires to SM to get it to the suggested PP, but otherwise stock. Drove it to an easy win. 100,000 credit ticket.

Sardegna Windmills - GT-R Gr.B - Put on some dirt tires and hit the track. It wasn't pretty or clean -- it's been a while since I drove this track -- but I got the win.

Tokyo Expressway - Urus - I'm not sure if I've made any modifications to the car for earlier weekly challenge races. It certainly didn't feel like I had any advantage over the other cars. I put on some SM tires for this race, but that is the only thing I changed. I lost a lot of time working my way up the field. Started the final lap in P3 with a 6-second gap to the lead pair. Thanks to rubber-banding, they slowed down enough for me to catch up on the final corner, but I wasn't fast enough to improve my position. Finished P3. Good enough. 200,000 credit ticket.

Deep Forest - Nissan VGT - I upgraded the tires to RMs, but no other modifications. Even with the extra grip, it took me a few laps -- and several track excursions -- to figure out the braking points for this car. As usual (normal difficulty AI), the lead cars kindly waited for me to figure it out and let me catch them in the final laps for an easy win.

Dragon Trail - GT-R Gr.4 - I made sure I had purchased IM tires for this car going into the race as I remembered it raining there when ran this race before. It's a good thing I did because things started clouding over on lap 3, with rain starting on lap 4. I pitted to swap my RMs for IMs right away because the radar was showing some heavier blotches heading toward the track. It topped up on fuel in the hopes that I could ride out the IMs to the end, but it wasn't going to happen. Once the rain cleared and the track started the drying, the IMs started deterioring rapidly. By lap 8, in P2, the front left was completely gone, and there was just a bit of tread left on the front right. I had to pit. P1 stayed out. Luckily most of the other cars behind me were in the same situation and also pitted. I came out still in P2, but with a 20+ second gap to the lead car. I figured I was going to have to settle for a P2 finish, but at the end of lap 9, the P1 pitted and I picked up the lead for an easy win. 500,000 credit ticket.

Some fun races this week. I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure! I tuned it myself but don't remember what I did. Yours is much faster. 😂🍻🍻🍻🍻

Can you share your setup?
A lot of the time it's things like aero levels min front / max rear, and finding the anomalies in the weight distribution that have the biggest effects. I've managed to find some sweet spots in weight movement where if you shift the weight position +/- 1 point from a specific point the PP changes massively, so you find the "special spot" where the PP drops drastically - by first applying ballast weight and adjusting away from the drive wheels - and reduce the weight until it's as close to 800PP (or whatever you're trying to achieve) and go for gold!

A lot of the time it's things like aero levels min front / max rear, and finding the anomalies in the weight distribution that have the biggest effects. I've managed to find some sweet spots in weight movement where if you shift the weight position +/- 1 point from a specific point the PP changes massively, so you find the "special spot" where the PP drops drastically - by first applying ballast weight and adjusting away from the drive wheels - and reduce the weight until it's as close to 800PP (or whatever you're trying to achieve) and go for gold!
It's an aspect of the game I haven't put a ton of time into yet. I do understand the basics, as my time shows I can make a quick car, but optimizing every tiny detail is not my strength. Maybe I'll start messing a little more. I really prefer to spend my time driving and not tinkering, as it's pretty limited when I can lap. I am def going to plug in the settings shared above and see how I like it. 🍻

It's an aspect of the game I haven't put a ton of time into yet. I do understand the basics, as my time shows I can make a quick car, but optimizing every tiny detail is not my strength. Maybe I'll start messing a little more. I really prefer to spend my time driving and not tinkering, as it's pretty limited when I can lap. I am def going to plug in the settings shared above and see how I like it. 🍻
I'm 100% the same, but I've played around with some tunes to obtain max result. Sometimes you'll be able to extract extra power (in the region of 40-50hp) or reduce weight (in excess of 50kg) which can have massive impact. I don't do it often, but just when I'm struggling to make a specific car achieve a PP rating.

These races were pretty good! 1st; 1st; 3rd; 1st; 1st as the results

Stock R33 made was a good mix with the hard AI, could of gone with a slower car to have a photofinish
20970565562886942.jpg

Not much to say about Rally, Throw on some added power and away you go!
20970561037235727.jpg

The only race I underestimated as got 3rd, Stock Lambo just wasn't fast enough to catch up and wallowed around too much in the turns, small upgrades should get a win
20970046674917046.jpg

The fast VGT's have the issue of braking miles back and then understeer at slow speed turn in so it's just about adapting to this driving style instead
20970606611519775.jpg

This race is pretty decent with some strategy elements but once you know what to do the AI will pit on the 9th lap easily handing you the win
20970174291515977.jpg

Nice to have cash as rewards but I feel like this area could be improved on with say invitations and or cars from the UCD & LCD

ran the race twice today and never had this, it comes up on other races from other people too.

What difficulty are you using? Do they do it near the braking zone?
Hard difficulty (3 chilies).

Happened twice. Once was the NSX going through the chicane. I'd made the pass on the straight, took the right turn and as I went to take the left portion of the chicane NSX dive bombed and spun me off the track. Like the kind of dive you'd expect from a C rated driver.

Second was was on the front straight. Went passed the Supra, was just driving on the outside of the straight getting ready for T1. The Supra, which was on my right just came over to take the preferred line and his left front hit my right rear... and before we were even in the braking zone! Perfect PIT maneuver and off I went. Again.

I almost saved the replay, but... meh.

Three races done, not a win amongst all three!

Fuji in my max-tuned Prius was fun. It's only got 151 hp and sounds like a fridge on its last legs, but it handles like a go-kart and makes up loads of time through the twisty stuff. Finished second.

20970158423084417.jpg

Sardegna Windmills in my Celica Rally Car was tough. I got spun out by the Peugeot 205 and also made some silly mistakes. Finished second. Took a pic but forgot to share it...

Then hopped into my FT-1 VGT Gr.3 for Deep Forest in reverse. I'm awful at this circuit, because I never really drive here! Got spun out by the Porsche in second place as I got past him, but recovered and finished second, less than 2s behind the Jag in first. Without that spin I would have won!

20970984899309192.jpg

Here's this weeks:
WTC700 was in my pink RSR. Sorry no pic as my PS4 froze as I was rendering it. FML Anyway, it was an uneventful race, I was in the lead, then the heavens opened on lap 5. The top three of us spun right before we entered the pits. lol Came out in 3rd as I refueled. Took the lead by lap 7 and never looked back still on my IM tires as the track was drying. Weird thing is AI Blazsan, who was amongst us top three, pitted again after we had all just pitted, and for the same IM tires he had just installed! Then to top it off, he pitted AGAIN at the end of lap 9 for the same tires. :confused:
Sardegna in my Dirtfish Subie was ugly! Too much power but still won by 200ths over an EVO.
Sardegna - Windmills__1 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Tokyo was ugly too. Modified my Urus but it's a whale to control. Not liking this SUV. Won by 30 secs.
Tokyo Expressway - South Counterclockwise_ (2) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Deep Forest in my trusty Lexus. Won by about 15 seconds. The AI killed me on the straights, 20-30mph faster. But on the twisties they were pigs.
Deep Forest Raceway Reverse_ (2) by 2cam16, on Flickr
By Fuji my fingers were tired so I just poured it on with my modded Kaido Racer style 400R. Straight out on IM's and won by 30 seconds.
Fuji International Speedway_ (9) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Random ticket got me 500k so almost an easy $2M. I'll revisit Fuji with a more streetable car.

Did you mention nuclear orbital bombardment for GT7's AI?

sigourney weaver michael GIF

"It's the only way to be sure..."
Might I suggest an additional Gundam style colony drop?

Let's also accelerate said colony to 1/3 the speed of light first

Just to be extra, extra sure:

1719015546864.png

What bothers me about the GT7 AI is how inconsistent they are. Most of the time they're... fine. Sometimes they are aware of you and adjust their driving lines. Other times it feels like they are working as a collective to deliberately prevent you from catching the rabbit of the race or to prevent you from getting the Clean Race Bonus.

• They dive into the apex deeper and later than humans are allowed
  • Drop anchor Brake super hard
  • Carry more speed than IMO what should be possible for their car / tires
  • Coast
  • Realize they must at least pretend to follow the physics of the game
  • Drop anchor Brake again mid corner to much slower than what the player can do
  • Coast
  • Bury the throttle and accelerate noticeably harder than their traction / engine power would allow

As annoying as this is, I can drive around it as I would a human driver's quirks, But what hurts is when the back markers decide they need to brake again near the exit of the corner. Even taking ultra compromised lines isn't enough. Sometimes you just have to give up your momentum and pay the overtake tax.

This of course happens when the player starts a race 30 seconds behind the leaders. We must build a car and/or drive that car such that we make up 30 seconds on the competition in often less than 5 laps. Certainly there is challenge to be found, but it's more the constraints we make up for ourselves than racing as we know it in the real world.

Do not get me started on the AI casually breaking PP restrictions or gaining power / grip because the player is nearby / they crossed the halfway mark of the race.

I discovered my love of tuning because I was tired of watching the AI corner and accelerate as if they had 20~50pp over the limit that I had to work with.

Don't get me wrong. I love a door banging flog in any car. But I have also grown to really enjoy the nuance in this game and finding those special cars that don't seem special until you understand them is a ton of fun.

For example; that old school Shelby GT350 with only Sport Soft tires becomes an absolute direct connection to my brain. I can drive that car within a mm most times (or so it feels) and it's pretty sublime. I get lost in it. I can't wait to join you VR boys. 🔥🔥🍻🍻
This is why I still play GT7 a lot. As ridiculous as the AI is, the driving feel is the best I've experienced on something that I can just pick up a controller and play. Plus GT7 lets me do this in quirky gems of cars.

For example, I've put more miles and hours into Citroen DS 21 than any sane person should. And I loved driving it and optimizing it so much that I kept going back to the Nurb GP WTC 600 race from a little while ago.

Mind you, I hate Nurb GP. With a passion.

But it didn't matter because I had my DS:

DS vs the World.jpg

Results for this Week:

WTC700 at Dragon Trail
Difficulty: Hard
Car: Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Mods: EVERYTHING + Racing Medium Tires - NO engine swap
Place: 1st

• I've been revising my tune for the screaming chicken, normally stomping around the Hyper Car Parade.
  • 1 stop strategy for this race with lots of short shifting and fuel map switching between 3 and 6
  • I win on the straightaways and kinda in the corners
  • I lose miserably in the braking zones
  • Driving was sloppier than I would like, but that's how first runs are for me
  • I could listen to the Trans Am's engine note all day long

Vision GT at Deep Forest
Car: Porsche VGT
Mods: Racing Soft Tires (~830pp)

• First time driving the Porsche; I wanted to know why AI is fast in it...
  • Why does a car that has 1000hp and is capable of 191mph / 307 kph have a suspension made from warm cheese?
  • I cannot add power, nor can I change the gearing, so... Why does my car top out at 191 mph / 307 kph, while the AI in the same car can do 197mph / 317 kph???
  • Strong urge to perform nuclear orbital bombardment + colony drop
  • At least I got a nice picture from this

Porshe VGT.jpg

Special Event: Urus Race at Tokyo South Counterclockwise
Car: Urus
Mods: Stage 3 weight reductions, high rpm turbo, semi racing manual transmission, racing clutch and flywheel, Sports Hard tires, stock suspension ( :lol: )
Surprisingly 600pp, despite nearly 800 hp. It weighs as much as a small house though

• The WTC600 event here is my proving ground for 600pp builds, so in terms of GT7, I live here / the track lives rent free in my head
  • I grew to like the Urus because despite the weight, it is absurdly capable - you become the very specific god of corner exit speed
  • The AI have better initial turn in, and they deal with the weight transfer better than me, but their corner exits are average at best
  • My top speed rivals Haywood's cursed Hurican that torments the WTC600 event - the AI was not prepared for that level of stupid
  • Despite NOT being a Sports Soft grip tune that I'd usually build for this track, the Urus comfortably slots into the upper-mid tier of the cars that I run here...
  • It took forever to catch everyone, but somehow I ended up 20+ seconds ahead of 2nd place at finish
  • So stupid, but so fun, but so stupid...

Urus Beatdown.jpg

@Lomic's suggestion got me in the mood to work on the randomiser more yesterday, so there's some extra new stuff to mention: I've rearranged everything to look nicer and put the important stuff at the top, it now rolls cars immediately on page load so you don't need to click, there's now a rare chance to roll engine swapped versions of cars for extra variety, and the week immediately after an update will have a higher chance to roll the cars that are in that update.

Also, here's my cars for the week:

1719049966724.png

@Lomic's suggestion got me in the mood to work on the randomiser more yesterday, so there's some extra new stuff to mention: I've rearranged everything to look nicer and put the important stuff at the top, it now rolls cars immediately on page load so you don't need to click, there's now a rare chance to roll engine swapped versions of cars for extra variety, and the week immediately after an update will have a higher chance to roll the cars that are in that update.

Also, here's my cars for the week:

View attachment 1366892
The gift that keeps on giving! Making me want to try a second set of cars to repeat the challenges once I'm done, just to see what pure RNGness will give me. Thank a lot for all your work!

Now onto the dailies, I've done four and only miss the WTC700 race. As usual ran on Normal difficulty.

1) Japanese Clubman Cup 550 @ Fuji Speedway

Took this on with an almost completely stock Evo IX, only added SH tires and street suspensions just to lower it a bit, 509 pp at the end of the day. It was an easy win, the car is surprisingly good all around and it allowed me to catch Suswillo in the 350Z in the final section of the last lap. CRB as well.

20970371353961959.jpg

2) World Rally Challenge @ Sardegna - Windmills

Stock Audi Quattro S1 on dirt tires for this event, 609 pp with a 700 max requirement. This car is absolutely broken in Gr.B at least against the AI, it was overpowering them with ease. Only tough one was Mangano in the Evo, who also decided to spin me out at the beginning of lap 4/5; was already on his tail by the end of the same lap, and overtook him on the next and final one for the win. Was more fun than I would've expected, given how I usually bash on GT rallying.

20970069811775203.jpg

3) Urus Special @ Tokyo South

Ah, here we go, the Urus. Decided to give mine a "fancy rich boy look" with a striking paint and a Saudi plate, paired with a set of BBS 19" wheels, and after installing SM tires again I hit the road. The car is a whale, weighs so much that I missed almost every braking point until last lap where I finally started having a bit of confidence with this elephant on wheels. Eventually managed to grab the victory, but it was a boring race, I'd rather drive this thing in the dirt honestly.

20970898954932994.jpg

4) Vision GT Race @ Deep Forest

Ah, this race. I was tasked to use the Jaguar VGT Coupe, which I bought for this very task since I didn't own it. 1000+ hp of electric power, had to buy some RM tires since with the stock SM it couldn't go straight no matter what, and it struggled on RMs as well! A blast on the straights, terrible on corners with a lot of understeer at the very first slight excess of accelerator pedal. A terrible driving experience, I can't even try to tune it since there's nothing that can be done to it, if this is the future of electric hypercars then I'm happy to be poor and never able to afford anything like it.

The looks though, wow, how stunning!

20970875272415307.jpg

Since I ended up having some extra free time I also took care of the last race.

5) WTC 700 @ Dragon Trail Gardens Reverse

Back behind the wheel of the Jaguar F-Type Gr.4 after a very long time, it has been one of my Le Mans money grinders for a while but it still had a very old setup. Which means it was close to undrivable, so I had to find a new one and YouTube helped. After properly setting it up and installing RH tires the race became doable and fun, I remembered why I used to love this car. Yamanaka in the Supra, your main rival, for some reason pits on lap 7 and then again on lap 9 so it's an easy win regardless, but the Jag was doing its job nicely up until that point.

Managed to get a CRB despite Solis deciding it was a good idea to completely overshoot the final chicane while I was chasing him, ending up slamming against the wall and bouncing back in front of me.

20970127516505640.jpg

Managed to get a CRB despite Solis deciding it was a good idea to completely overshoot the final chicane while I was chasing him, ending up slamming against the wall and bouncing back in front of me.
Also had a lot of shenanigans from AI on this race, divebombs, spin attempts, yellow flags and car going everywhere in the chicane.

A blast on the straights, terrible on corners with a lot of understeer at the very first slight excess of accelerator pedal. A terrible driving experience, I can't even try to tune it since there's nothing that can be done to it, if this is the future of electric hypercars then I'm happy to be poor and never able to afford anything like it.
If you think that's bad, don't try the Porsche. Warp speed acceleration but absolutely no brakes, it feels like it indeed doesn't have physical brakes but relies solely on regeneration as I've never seen anything with that much downforce and that sticky tyres stop that badly. The 300-100 km/h time doesn't differ all that much from the 100-300 one. Add to that some really weird torque vectoring that ensure it changes attitude about three times per corner and it's not even really dependant on what you're doing with the pedals.

Last edited:
Did the first four of the weeklies last night. Got 5000cr from a 4-star ticket... wheeee.

Japanese 550 was a decently fun race in a stock LC500. Good car, nice balance, works well on the SH tires and much faster in a straight line than the others. Good race.

I love the Urus, but Tokyo is probably the worst place to display its "talents", especially this layout. Lots of understeer, not a lot of fun.

VGT race.... uhhh, not much here either. They put the Porsche in front which means you basically have to choose something outrageous to even be competitive. I wanted to use the McLaren, but it would have had to been on Sports tires to be under 850PP. Chose to Porsche, won it, and forgot about it. I'd like to use the Bulgari Roadster against other VGTs, but it's in another, lesser, world of performance than the others.

The standout race by a long shot was the rally race at Sardegna. I know we're all aware that GT7 isn't the best when it comes to dirt, but if you do this race (especially in VR) and don't have fun then I don't know what to tell you. This one was very exciting in the brilliant Peugeot Turbo Evo, which is my favorite driving GRB car. The AI here are pretty quick and serve up a good challenge where you can't just expect the win, and the Peugeot is "stock" to keep things close (I just set the center diff to 20/80). Got the CRB despite literally yeeting it off the far right side of the jump before the finish line and smashing into the fence... tell me how that happens!

Still have to do the GR4 race at Dragon Trail and am hoping it's a good one.

Last edited:
This weeks challenges have almost everything: Events I don't like, cars I don't like, tracks I don't like and/or barely know. So it was indeed a challenge to do this and I tried to not take it seriously and have some fun.

Race 1 was the Japanese Clubman at Fuji. I'm not a fan of this track and since there's no PP limit I used the Honda Project 2&4 for an easy win.
1000013284.png

Second race was the Rally at Sardegna. I hate Rally and I always perform awful there, so I needed a good car. And what car could be better for this than the Alphard? Very close win, took P1 after the final corner of the final lap.
1000013285.png

Third race was Tokyo South, a track I've barely ever driven. I had a hard time deciding on a car for this but in the end I chose the Urus. Since I don't know the track I played it dirty and made good use of the cars weight. If there was a "Dirty Race Malus" I would have earned it for sure😂
1000013286.png

Race number 4 was the VGT in Switzerland. I hate VGTs. I chose the Jaguar which I won some time ago and I did have no fun whatsoever here. The car is ugly, has awful cockpit view, no brakes and just doesn't want to turn. The only thing it does well is accelerating. I was happy when the race was over although I only managed P2 here. I really think that this Jag is the worst car I've driven in this game so far and I immediately sold it.
1000013287.png

Last race was Dragon Trail Gardens and I used my trusty Radical for this. Had a very slippery time when it started raining but was able to catch up on Inters after the pit stop for a rather close win.
1000013288.png

1000013289.png

This weeks challenges have almost everything: Events I don't like, cars I don't like, tracks I don't like and/or barely know. So it was indeed a challenge to do this and I tried to not take it seriously and have some fun.

Race 1 was the Japanese Clubman at Fuji. I'm not a fan of this track and since there's no PP limit I used the Honda Project 2&4 for an easy win.
View attachment 1366973

Second race was the Rally at Sardegna. I hate Rally and I always perform awful there, so I needed a good car. And what car could be better for this than the Alphard? Very close win, took P1 after the final corner of the final lap.
View attachment 1366974

Third race was Tokyo South, a track I've barely ever driven. I had a hard time deciding on a car for this but in the end I chose the Urus. Since I don't know the track I played it dirty and made good use of the cars weight. If there was a "Dirty Race Malus" I would have earned it for sure😂
View attachment 1366975

Race number 4 was the VGT in Switzerland. I hate VGTs. I chose the Jaguar which I won some time ago and I did have no fun whatsoever here. The car is ugly, has awful cockpit view, no brakes and just doesn't want to turn. The only thing it does well is accelerating. I was happy when the race was over although I only managed P2 here. I really think that this Jag is the worst car I've driven in this game so far and I immediately sold it.
View attachment 1366976

Last race was Dragon Trail Gardens and I used my trusty Radical for this. Had a very slippery time when it started raining but was able to catch up on Inters after the pit stop for a rather close win.
View attachment 1366978
View attachment 1366979
I like that livery on the Radical... ;)

On tuning - weird thing happened on one of the races (not sure if its this week or last, I've been doing them before bed) I kept adding weight and the PP kept going up, and had to add loads before it started going down again.

I understand how it can happen as the car was essentially too light for its own good to begin with and gained mechanical grip that increased overall performance more than the hit on acceleration but just never seen it happen before! Pretty sure it was a VGT car.

And thats another thing, VGT cars often seem to have awful brakes and lousy turning circles, but comparatively good acceleration. Its as if there is a model PD gives to designers and they choose to sacrifice actual drivability for some nice looking numbers on paper. I'm not fully going to endorse this hunch though because stuff like the Tomahawk wouldn't be possible otherwise. Or maybe it's based around the year the car is "set" in. Wow. Never thought I would get curious about the design of VGT cars!

Latest Posts

Back