What are you listening to? (V)Music 

• Thread starter Sage
  • 32,398 comments

When I was about 14 years old, I found this single in my Dad's collection of 45s, and I remember loving it - it took me until I was 17 to buy the album "Bridge Over Troubled Water", alongside "Bookends", "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme" and "Sounds of Silence" all at the same time, with a paycheck I got from the worst job I've ever had in my life.

After listening to Simon & Garfunkel extensively, "The Only Living Boy In New York" remains a firm favourite, mainly because of the incredible ethereal backing vocal harmonies, which still blow me away. The only song that comes close for me is, perhaps not surprisingly, "Peace Like A River", from Paul Simon's first solo album, recorded not long after BOTW (incidentally also one of my absolute favourite songs of all time...):

After a while, it dawned on me that "The Only Living Boy in New York" doesn't feature Art Garfunkel at all, and the amazing vocal sections sound like they are all performed by Paul Simon himself - there's also a few other songs of theres where this is the case, but I remember being surprised (albeit without actual proof) that Simon recorded this song without Garfunkel.

One thing I never knew about the song, however, was what it's actually about - sure, it has some meaning to me as a song without ever realising that there was a very specific context and meaning to the song. Roll on 35 years, however, and I finally found out what it means... though I'm kicking myself for missing a reference that should be obvious to a true S&G fan...

The opening lyric is "Tom, get your plane ride on time - I know your part'll go fine - fly down to Mexico... and here I am, the only living boy in New York".

Before they were plain old Simon & Garfunkel, the duo called themselves "Tom & Jerry". And the opening lyrics quoted above are a reference to "Tom" (aka Art Garfunkel) taking an acting job in Mexico while "Jerry" was in New York recording the 'Bridge Over Troubled Water" album. Simon was clearly pissed off enough to write a song about what he felt was his abandonment, and, as it would transpire, the end of their amazing musical partnership.

-

Despite having figured out many years ago that the song doesn't feature Art Garfunkel and having recently learned what the lyrics actually mean, it's only just occurred to me now that the latter is the reason for the former.

Last edited:
despite how partial I can be to specific rock and roll bands…

NO ONE HAS EVER DONE IT LIKE QUEEN.

And probably never will

This takes me back to when I briefly lived in Orange County(NY). Would drive my friend to the city for us to hang at a spot called The Garage. Go to Roseland to jam with fine ladies. Cool out at The Blue Note and after drop him home in Newburgh. Then head home chillin' to Roots joints in my A2 Jetta, windows up sunroof open, VR6 conversion smooth as silk.

Classic tracks.

Edit: Apologies, Y'all. Hit me in the feels just then.

Last edited:
Back