What are you watching?

• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 4,931 comments
Day 12 of my 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is The Revenger of Doctor X which features no one named Doctor X and no revenge. The script is by Ed Wood, and it features a guy in a rubber monster suit. It also has topless Japanese pearl divers and a Honda S-series sports car.
IMG_0417.jpeg

IMG_0418.png

Last edited:
Day 13 of my 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Tourist Trap. It’s a slasher movie starring Chuck Connors as the psycho killer, and Tanya Roberts, replacement Charlie’s Angel and MILF extraordinaire on That 70’s Show as one of the hot teens. It is, of course, a terrible movie. But it dos have a VW Thing in it.
IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0427.png

Day 13 of my 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Tourist Trap. It’s a slasher movie starring Chuck Connors as the psycho killer, and Tanya Roberts, replacement Charlie’s Angel and MILF extraordinaire on That 70’s Show as one of the hot teens. It is, of course, a terrible movie. But it dos have a VW Thing in it.
View attachment 1295175
View attachment 1295176
Think I might have actually seen this one at some point...!
Thought you might have gone for Friday the 13th Part XVIII "the definitely final last movie that we're making unless it makes money in which case see you next year" :lol:

Final never means final in horror movie series (unless it's The Omen).

When I heard about this movie round about the turn of the century I remember thinking how cool it was that they drafted in John Woo to make a big budget spy flick but never got around to watching it. Then I heard all sort of bad things about how chaotic and confusing the theatrical cut was due to Paramount chopping his three and a half hour cut down to two for cinema release.

I'm halfway through it now and it's great so far. I don't see (yet) what the backlash was all about. It's leagues ahead of the Brian De Palma original (which was still a good film although a little unevenly paced) but still a ways behind the subsequent instalments in my eyes.

apib2bg2j__01308.jpg

Last edited:
Day 14 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween: Birdemic: Shock and Terror Live! it’s a RiffTrax classic, a live riff of a terrible grade Z homage to Hitchcock’s The Birds.
IMG_0449.jpeg

Well the wife and I are now into the Halloween / Horror (I use these two words lightly in view of some of the films we’ll watch over the next two weeks)

However we’re planning the final movies will be Ghost Busters 1, 2 & Afterlife back to back on the 28th of the month as the 31st is a Tuesday and we’re working. So the plan is to do the first lighting of the wood burner and have takeaway food and get the dog walked nice an early and watch those films.

But to kick of proceedings we watched…

IMG_9927.jpeg

It’s all in the reflexes. I’m hoping for a 4K release at some point, however the film is under Fox aka Disney and they’re shocking with releases especially on physical media. But Arrow (the release I have) is pretty good and services the film well. Especially at 77” which some Blu-rays at 1080p don’t.

Not sure what we’re watching tomorrow as I’m in the office and won’t be home till late.

Day 15 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is When a Stranger Calls Back. It’s a 1993 tv movie sequel to 1979’s When a Stranger Calls and sees Carol Kane and Charles Durning reprising their roles from the first film. It’s actually not a bad movie, it just suffers from a personality-free lead and a ludicrous villain.
IMG_0479.jpeg

Day 15 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is When a Stranger Calls Back. It’s a 1993 tv movie sequel to 1979’s When a Stranger Calls and sees Carol Kane and Charles Durning reprising their roles from the first film. It’s actually not a bad movie, it just suffers from a personality-free lead and a ludicrous villain.
View attachment 1295652
I always liked watching Charles...
Hang on a sec, the phone's ringing.

I'm not sure whether this is better than the last movie. It hangs together a lot more, presumably because scriptwriter J.J. Abrams also got to direct his first movie, but as a result of the latter there are fewer directorial flourishes of the stylistic variety. It's still very watchable, but roll on Brad Bird for the follow up.

images (1).jpeg

Day 16 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Horror Express. It stars Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Telly Savalas. In 1906 Siberia, people are dying in a train full of Russian royalty, British scientists, and a frozen caveman.
IMG_0489.jpeg

Day 16 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Horror Express. It stars Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Telly Savalas. In 1906 Siberia, people are dying in a train full of Russian royalty, British scientists, and a frozen caveman.
View attachment 1295871
Watched this many times, story is a bit odd I'll agree but with those 3 cast in my opinion its eminently watchable even without a riff track.

Finally up to the good stuff. The MacQuarrie era begins (he did rewrites on the script).

I don't need to recommend this movie to anyone who's familiar with the franchise. Chances are you'll have already watched it at least once.

Mission_impossible_ghost_protocol.jpg

Last edited:
Day 17 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Kingdom of the Spiders starring William Shatner. He plays a rural Arizona vet dealing with a tarantula invasion. It’s pretty low-budget and mostly dull rather than scary.
IMG_0490.jpeg

Last edited:

Stardom's New Blood 8 event, main evented by World of Stardom Champion Tam Nakano taking on...

...Tam Nakano? (actually Nao Ishikawa but shhhh that's less funny)

HFovuWF.gif

Last edited:
Day 18 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Psycho II. It stars Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, released as sane 22 years after his original murder spree. It’s not even one tenth as good as Hitchcock’s genius original, but it does contain a clever central theme: no one can handle a sane Norman. They need him to be insane, and will drive him insane just to return their world to normalcy.
IMG_0494.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 19 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Fangs of the Living Dead. It’s a 1969 Spanish-Italian horror film starring Anita Ekburg and a couple other very busty women. Seriously, the breasts are the only reason to watch this movie.
IMG_0507.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 18 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Psycho II. It stars Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, released as sane 22 years after his original murder spree. It’s not even one tenth as good as Hitchcock’s genius original, but it does contain a clever central theme: no one can handle a sane Norman. They need him to be insane, and will drive him insane just to return their world to normalcy.
View attachment 1296415
It's not Hitchcock level by any stretch, but it's not as bad as your comment suggests (in my opinion). The concept is good and the fact that Norman is arguably the "victim" here is a great idea. Plus having Vera Miles present helps a lot.

IMG_9939.jpeg

Have to admit. This series was not on my radar at all. I’d seen it advertised and caught glimpses of trailers when watching other things. However having ATV+ now we decided to give it a go… hooked from the first episode.

All of the known actors are in roles you’d normally not associate with them, but they turn in excellent performances and the supporting cast are all top draw too.

Standout for me is Billy Crudup, he’s clearly enjoying his role way too much and he’s magnetic to watch. We’re just closing up season one today and will then start on season 2 tomorrow.

After this, tonight will be anything i can find in my collection with R Corman in the credits.. :bowdown:

Day 20 of my 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is the entirely raven-free Swamp of the Ravens. It’s a Colombian horror film from the 1970s that features a young mad scientist, pointless camera zooms, and a song about a man’s love for his dead robot.
IMG_0510.jpeg

Day 21 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Night of the Lepus. It stars Western movie stalwarts Stuart Whitman and Rory Calhoun, Psycho star Janet Leigh, and Star Trek’s Doctor McCoy, DeForest Kelley. The problem is that there’s no way to makes cute little bunnies (Latin name “lepus”) scary. They use forced perspective, models, and slow motion, but they’re still way too cute to be scary.
IMG_0515.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 21 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Night of the Lepus. It stars Western movie stalwarts Stuart Whitman and Rory Calhoun, Psycho star Janet Leigh, and Star Trek’s Doctor McCoy, DeForest Kelley. The problem is that there’s no way to makes cute little bunnies (Latin name “lepus”) scary. They use forced perspective, models, and slow motion, but they’re still way too cute to be scary.
View attachment 1297115
How does it compare to this?

Day 22 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Night of the Living Dead Live! This live riff of George Romero’s classic horror movie proves that even great movies can be successfully riffed. Their live shows are my favorites. The energy from performing for a live audience makes the movies even funnier.
IMG_0706.jpeg

Day 23 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Terror at Tenkiller. It’s a low-budget slasher film with bad acting, terrible music, and not much else.
IMG_1004.jpeg

How many killers does it have? Is it 9 short?
I was wondering whether the killer has ten victims but he only kills three or four according to Wikipedia. Wonder whether the riffers pick up on this.

Last edited:
I was wondering whether the killer has ten victims but he only kills three or four according to Wikipedia. Wonder whether the riffers pick up on this.
There were many jokes made about that point.

Day 24 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is Sisters of Death. A sorority initiation game of Russian Roulette goes horribly wrong and a girl dies. Seven years later, the father of the dead girl anonymously invites the girls to a resort so he can hunt them down and kill them. And in a couple of hot dog guys and you’ve got a… well, a pretty dull horror movie.
IMG_1062.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 25 of 31 Days of RiffTrax Halloween is City of the Dead. A black and white film from 1960 about witches from the Massachusetts witch trials from the 1690s getting their revenge. It features Christopher Lee, a very charming girl who goes missing, and her brother who seems unconcerned about her disappearance, but at least he does a passable Cary Grant impersonation through the entire film.
IMG_1075.jpeg

Back