What do you think about the singleplayer and the overall game design of Gran Turismo 7? And how does it compare to the previous games?

Are each of you on PS4 or PS5? Sophy is not available on PS4, sadly. However, Sophy 2.0 is in the PS5 version of GT7.

I have a PS5 and drive against Sophy on a regular basis.
PS5 and VR. I enjoy Sophy but it can't sustain me for too long in its current form.

The problem with the Sophy races is that they max out at 3 laps. I don’t understand why they can’t make the races longer than that. Does the AI just break down after that?
Race Together was more than 3 laps.
But with the limitations that Sophy has seen in its current release state, I guess PD thought more laps would not be welcome by most players.

We all have our opinions, i also think gt4 career mode was better than gt3,
My problem wasn't with GT4's career mode itself. My issue was with the race formats. The field mixes were generally terrible, from Kaz's obsession with trying to show all kinds of different cars in every race. It might make for a good history lesson but it makes for mediocre racing at best. And I really really don't like the single-lap banzai runs. There seemed to be a lot of those in GT4 (admittedly I could be thinking about GT5 here - I didn't play too much of that, and I think I skipped GT6 entirely).

[edit] I can live without weather, though it is a nice addition. Same with graphics / race mods - nice but not a requirement. Photomode is interesting to play with but ultimately I don't care about it.

What I really want from Gran Turismo:
  • Relatively evenly-matched fields with no single super fast rabbit
  • No races shorter than 3 laps - it's just too annoying and unrealistic
  • Minimal rubberbanding - let me decide how much car I need, and win or lose by my own driving
  • Decent AI - doesn't even have to be that great
Honestly, that's the big three for me. If they would just give me that I'd be happy.

Are the online weekly races multiplayer, or NPC / AI? I really just want to race against the computer for a console game. If I want genuine multiplayer online racing, I will do it right and get iRacing.

Anyway, it's a shame GT7 is so multiplayer-dominated. I will probably keep my money, then.

Last edited:
My problem wasn't with GT4's career mode itself. My issue was with the race formats. The field mixes were generally terrible, from Kaz's obsession with trying to show all kinds of different cars in every race. It might make for a good history lesson but it makes for mediocre racing at best. And I really really don't like the single-lap banzai runs. There seemed to be a lot of those in GT4 (admittedly I could be thinking about GT5 here - I didn't play too much of that, and I think I skipped GT6 entirely).

[edit] I can live without weather, though it is a nice addition. Same with graphics / race mods - nice but not a requirement. Photomode is interesting to play with but ultimately I don't care about it.

• Minimal rubberbanding - let me decide how much car I need, and win or lose by my own driving
Honestly, that's the big three for me. If they would just give me that I'd be happy.

Are the online weekly races multiplayer, or NPC / AI? I really just want to race against the computer for a console game. If I want genuine multiplayer online racing, I will do it right and get iRacing.

Anyway, it's a shame GT7 is so multiplayer-dominated. I will probably keep my money, then.
Gt7 is proably the one i have most hours in mostly because how big improvment they made to how the cars feel to drive, looks and sounds, and that is what keep me coming back. Most of the content they add aims more for the single player crowd

I am not saying i dont like gt3 or its career mode, but for me gt4 overall was a more complete pakage, i had fun with both, but gt4 for me does edge out gt3 slighly in basicely every way.

The fact that they locked the option to sell your vehicles by completing the Café mode made me lose interest in playing more as I really wanted to upgrade the cars that I want to use, but didn't have enough credits for them. Café felt like it dragged on too long for a mode that I often hear it's too short, but I dunno.

Plus, I'm too used to how the older games work in terms of progression. I called GT5 the last "classic" Gran Turismo as it still have that structure of picking your favorite car and take to events that you can race in while upgrading that car and treating it with care. It's what made GT1-3 and 5 click for me.

I had just redownloaded GT Sport for the first time since it had gone offline.

There's a lot about 7's core structure that irks me the wrong way. Everything from navigating menus to buying cars and even driving itself just feels cumbersome, while with Sport it feels more natural and simplistic. I can hop into GT League and do one of the numerous races that aren't in 7, such as the Midship challenge, Lamborghini one-make event, Beetle vs Samba bus event, etc. with relative ease. There is very little in Sport that distracts me from the most important thing - driving.

The economy in Sport is better balanced. While races typically take twice as long to do for half the pay, you are incentivized with not only the CRB, but also the underpowered bonus too, which the latter encourages you to drive cars you otherwise wouldn't dare to enter.

Car values in Sport are more forgiving, so while events may pay out less, cars cost dramatically less money to purchase. An R34 GTR costs only 61,000 credits unlike in GT7 where it's 450,000 credits. So, grinding time is drastically reduced.

GT7 sees you trying to collect cars, while its core structure doesn't even inherently encourage nor reward you for driving most of them. Sport on the other hand does both fairly well. Just about every car in the game, with a few exceptions, has some purpose for being there. Some kind of use and reason to drive it.

In GT7 they removed being paid credits for SP time trial, which was something that incentivized you to simply drive your cars. They removed the underpowered bonus, which was something that encouraged you to drive a slower car. They drastically changed tuning to where it is now not only a really unnecessary expense (20k+ for a set of racing tires, really? WTF?) but is also now more complex than it needed to be. Sport's tuning operated on a more simplistic "level" system, which you can utilize only if you have mileage points, which you gain from driving your cars. Another thing that encouraged you to drive gone from 7.

I also noticed as I play Sport again you can not only change the track while in time trial mode, but you can also change your car while on the pre-race screen of a GT League event. It would bring up a screen allowing you to select only the cars eligible to enter that event. This prevented you from having to back out of the event, wait for the game to load, change car, wait for event to load again. This is what I meant earlier about something so simple as navigating a menu is unnecessarily cumbersome because of a bad and unintuitive menu design.

All in all, 7 only beats Sport in one thing - car/track content.

Honestly, the super fast rabbit, single-lap banzai runs, or rubberbanding are all done because of the terrible AI, they resort to those measures to give more of a "challenge". It'd depend on how far the Sophy project will go, if it'd be successful or it's a failure that would be dropped entirely and back to the robotic AI.

Though I do want for all kinds of different cars to be shown, which I feel is lacking in GT7. But to make it more evenly-matched, I'd wish that those cars can vary in how they're tuned or equipped, not only having them in their default state, like the first GT where with limited selection of the cars, there are races with them in their stock range (276hp), to supercar level range (600hp), or hypercar level (900hp).
I had just redownloaded GT Sport for the first time since it had gone offline.

There's a lot about 7's core structure that irks me the wrong way. Everything from navigating menus to buying cars and even driving itself just feels cumbersome, while with Sport it feels more natural and simplistic. I can hop into GT League and do one of the numerous races that aren't in 7, such as the Midship challenge, Lamborghini one-make event, Beetle vs Samba bus event, etc. with relative ease. There is very little in Sport that distracts me from the most important thing - driving.

The economy in Sport is better balanced. While races typically take twice as long to do for half the pay, you are incentivized with not only the CRB, but also the underpowered bonus too, which the latter encourages you to drive cars you otherwise wouldn't dare to enter.

Car values in Sport are more forgiving, so while events may pay out less, cars cost dramatically less money to purchase. An R34 GTR costs only 61,000 credits unlike in GT7 where it's 450,000 credits. So, grinding time is drastically reduced.

GT7 sees you trying to collect cars, while its core structure doesn't even inherently encourage nor reward you for driving most of them. Sport on the other hand does both fairly well. Just about every car in the game, with a few exceptions, has some purpose for being there. Some kind of use and reason to drive it.

In GT7 they removed being paid credits for SP time trial, which was something that incentivized you to simply drive your cars. They removed the underpowered bonus, which was something that encouraged you to drive a slower car. They drastically changed tuning to where it is now not only a really unnecessary expense (20k+ for a set of racing tires, really? WTF?) but is also now more complex than it needed to be. Sport's tuning operated on a more simplistic "level" system, which you can utilize only if you have mileage points, which you gain from driving your cars. Another thing that encouraged you to drive gone from 7.

I also noticed as I play Sport again you can not only change the track while in time trial mode, but you can also change your car while on the pre-race screen of a GT League event. It would bring up a screen allowing you to select only the cars eligible to enter that event. This prevented you from having to back out of the event, wait for the game to load, change car, wait for event to load again. This is what I meant earlier about something so simple as navigating a menu is unnecessarily cumbersome because of a bad and unintuitive menu design.

All in all, 7 only beats Sport in one thing - car/track content.
Moral of the story: GT traits are outdated and holds no value in the present time, enjoying them is only being nostalgic and a failure to move on from the past.

What mentioned here for GT7 also existed in previous GT that aren't Sport, like the unnecessary expense of tuning. Maybe past GT was just really overrated to never have anyone criticize said aspect.

GT should just burn and discard anything it had in the past to become an actual good game. Should be even better if one just have an access to all the cars rather than paying less.

Though the removed SP and underpowered bonus is not related to the past stuff and is unforgivable.

Last edited:
Moral of the story: GT traits are outdated and holds no value in the present time, enjoying them is only being nostalgic and a failure to move on from the past.

What mentioned here for GT7 also existed in previous GT that aren't Sport, like the unnecessary expense of tuning. Maybe past GT was just really overrated to never have anyone criticize said aspect.

GT should just burn and discard anything it had in the past to become an actual good game. Should be even better if one just have an access to all the cars rather than paying less.

Though the removed SP and underpowered bonus is not related to the past stuff and is unforgivable.
I can't honestly tell if you're being snide or are actually legitimately agreeing with my observations. I will assume the former but hope for the latter.

The moral of the story though? There really wasn't one. I was objectively looking at GT7 compared to was in Sport. if one enjoys GT7 then be all means continue to do so, but I don't think GT Sport deserves the critique it gets still even to this day simply because it deviated from the established form. Many of the deviations made to GT Sport's core design were of benefit to the players. The only thing in Sport that wasn't of benefit to the player was the online focus, which I do agree with, but PD did thankfully rectify this by giving us the GT League early on and the offline patch.

Last edited:
Back