What have you done to your car today?

Ohhh now thats my kind of project right there. That frame looks like its in excellent condition. The truck looks like it is also in really good shape. I love swapping parts from one vehicle to another. :)

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

Might have to take the front end apart again though, I broke the end off one of the pipes trying to get the condenser out. Still enough of the pipe left to plug back into the condenser but had to seal it differently. Cars gone to get re gased atm Ill soon find out if I created another problem for myself:nervous:

Ohhh now thats my kind of project right there. That frame looks like its in excellent condition. The truck looks like it is also in really good shape. I love swapping parts from one vehicle to another. :)

well actually we are now using another range rover chassis, as it was going super cheap, performance suspension and still under a truck instead of that one there left outside for a while :P and i dont think anyone would turn down a road worthy range rover for £100 :P
as for the land rover...while being stood still for 20 years, a new battery and we drove it onto the trailer :P

Made a lot more progress on the Camaro last night. Finally found my starter problem. I jacked the car way in the air and had Heather try to start it. Found out the starter has been hitting the flywheel instead of the flywheel teeth. I added a few shims and now it seems to be great!! Very good news for sure. I also removed my stock mirror and installed a new mirror higher so the camcorder can see under it better on road track days. Then I topped off all the fluids, tightened my poly tranny mount and started getting everything ready for my event tomorrow. Would have been done sooner last night but at least 4 different people stopped by to check out the car. lol I am just soo happy to finally get that starter problem fixed.
Tonight I will just try to get the rest of the things I need into the car like the camcorder tri-pod, a cooler, and a few tools. Then I should be all set for tomorrow saturday the 26th. :)

Spent all afternoon and evening on the Tacoma. Washing, Vacuuming, wiping down, cleanin interior. Then waxed her down with Mother Pure Carnuba California Shine. The Mini gets it this weekend. That makes 2 coats of Meguiars Gold and 2 coats of Mothers on the Taco, and 1 coat Meguiars gold, and soon to be 3 coats mothers on the Mini. Yay or shiny cars with great paint!!

Another day of pulling wires. Wait until you guys see the pile I've eliminated from my harnesses. I also mapped out most of my new wiring layout and test-fitted headlights.

Got it sideways on a wet round-about. Only for a fraction of a second, more of a slight oversteer moment really, but that was my first time. I really want to do a hundred driver ed courses, including skid pan, so I'm less likely to crash in casual driving by accident, and can be relatively skilled when I do get to the track.

I changed my transmission gasket for the third time today. This time I did everything correctly and even asked advice from a mechanic friend of mine. He said that it might also be the o-ring for the speedometer wire leading to the transmission so I replaced that as well. The old-one was hard so he was right.

That blue stuff that I used the second time was definately the culprit for why it was leaking so much. I have faith that this time it won't leak. Fingers crossed.

Cool! I've never driven a Mini but I think there must be some in my genes as my Dad has owned 5 of them or derivatives of the Mini. Have you done much to it in the way of mods or is it just a fun weekend car?
More maintenance than mods. :lol: Obviously the engine, and the gearbox is new too. There's a twin carb setup with extractors, but they're both getting changed later this year.

Semi-custom interior, with a custom dash and Misti Lancer seats (also getting changed this year to a new, fully custom dash and WRX seats if they fit).

A sexy as classic racing steering wheel (aftermarket) and matching wooden gearknob/handbrake combo.

There's more too that I can't remember now, but my plan is to have it finished in the not too distant future. That involves pulling it off the road at some stage, stripping it and getting it blasted and painted. Rust repairs at the same time.

Minis are so much fun to drive. You swear and hate them when they brake or need $700 to get a warrant, but tooling around town for 30minutes make you grin from ear to ear... :D

Got it sideways on a wet round-about. Only for a fraction of a second, more of a slight oversteer moment really, but that was my first time. I really want to do a hundred driver ed courses, including skid pan, so I'm less likely to crash in casual driving by accident, and can be relatively skilled when I do get to the track.

Here at Infineon Raceway I did the Highway survival course (as a bday present from my parents when I got my license) with Jim Russell Racing school. Trust me, do it, its awesome and skid pads are awesome!

You missed that...

No I caught it, you were implying it wasn't really the first time I got it sideways, and that I do it all the time. And I said it really was the first time.:sly:

Here at Infineon Raceway I did the Highway survival course (as a bday present from my parents when I got my license) with Jim Russell Racing school. Trust me, do it, its awesome and skid pads are awesome!

I did a high-school safe drive course, but that was literally just crap anyone should know on the road, like emergency lane changes, and how to self ABS your car, etc. Stuff that is valuable, but not exactly learning heel-toe braking, or how to properly control a slide.

BTW, with regards to heel-toe braking, does it always have to be "Heel on accelerator, toes on brakes", or can it also be "Heel on brakes, toes on accelerator", depending on preference/car/physical limitations. I always have to put my heel on the brakes, I simply can't do it the other way around (Or at least in my car, or most Fords I've driven).:guilty:

In the Mini Cooper S I do heel on brake toe on Accel, I find it much simpler, and yea, the lane change and ABSing was easy, but figure 8's in the slide car on the pad was awesome! I made the 3 other students in the back seat puke my doing 8's, they just spun, thank you GT4 and Forza for drift control! hahaha :)

In the Mini Cooper S I do heel on brake toe on Accel, I find it much simpler, and yea, the lane change and ABSing was easy, but figure 8's in the slide car on the pad was awesome! I made the 3 other students in the back seat puke my doing 8's, they just spun, thank you GT4 and Forza for drift control! hahaha :)

It was pretty evident that I was the best in my class at the safe drive course too.:D I think my pedals are designed for heel on brake, toe on accelerator, because of the way the accelerator pedal pivots, but when ever I see a pro/race driver do it, it's toe on brakes, heel on accelerator.

BTW, with regards to heel-toe braking, does it always have to be "Heel on accelerator, toes on brakes", or can it also be "Heel on brakes, toes on accelerator", depending on preference/car/physical limitations. I always have to put my heel on the brakes, I simply can't do it the other way around (Or at least in my car, or most Fords I've driven).:guilty:

How the hell does that work then? - do you brake first with your heel then blip the throttle with your toe? :nervous:

How the hell does that work then? - do you brake first with your heel then blip the throttle with your toe? :nervous:
Not to mention your heel has nowhere near the accuracy you can get with your toe, so you end up using the better part of your foot for the less important job.

I don't get this whole toe-heel thing.

The main reason (well, not the main reason but a big reason) you're having trouble with it is because the pedal configuration in your car is set up so it's hard to hit both pedals at once. And you're trying to go around that.

If it's supposed to be done in the car you're driving, the pedals will be close together and your heel will easily reach across when pivoting on your toe.

Heel on brake, toe on accelerator, the accelerator pivots forward.

I don't get this whole toe-heel thing.

The main reason (well, not the main reason but a big reason) you're having trouble with it is because the pedal configuration in your car is set up so it's hard to hit both pedals at once. And you're trying to go around that.

If it's supposed to be done in the car you're driving, the pedals will be close together and your heel will easily reach across when pivoting on your toe.

Great, now I'm pissed off. (At my car being set up wrong):grumpy: How come then I still can't do it in a Foucs XR5 Turbo, or a V8 Commodore, or petty much anything I've ever sat in at a motor show except a Skoda Octavia RS, and posssibly a Civic Type R? I even look at the V8 Supercar pedal setup, and when not pressed in the pedals are perfectly level with each other. So right, when you start braking, how do you get the other half of your foot on the accelerator?!

Heel on brake, toe on accelerator, the accelerator pivots forward.

Great, now I'm pissed off. (At my car being set up wrong):grumpy: How come then I still can't do it in a Foucs XR5 Turbo, or a V8 Commodore, or petty much anything I've ever sat in at a motor show except a Skoda Octavia RS, and posssibly a Civic Type R? I even look at the V8 Supercar pedal setup, and when not pressed in the pedals are perfectly level with each other. So right, when you start braking, how do you get the other half of your foot on the accelerator?!

If you put your toe hard on the brake pedal, you should still, if your ankles are of average flexibility, be able to pivot your heel enough to just catch even just the edge of the accelerator pedal. All you need is just a tiny 'blip' of revs. You can't have any proper control of brake pedal pressure using your heel for that, it sounds pretty dangerous to me!

If you put your toe hard on the brake pedal, you should still, if your ankles are of average flexibility, be able to pivot your heel enough to just catch even just the edge of the accelerator pedal. All you need is just a tiny 'blip' of revs. You can't have any proper control of brake pedal pressure using your heel for that, it sounds pretty dangerous to me!

Well I need a safe environment to practise in then, because any time I try the correct method, I end up sub-consciously taking my foot of the brake pedal to reach the acclerator.:ouch: :scared:

Yeah you want your toes on the brake pedal and just blip the gas with your heel. Thats how I drive on road tracks. You can see some of my videos from this weekend. I usually jump from 5th gear to 3rd. You need as much heel toe as possible going from 130mph then stopping right before a 90degree corner. Check out my Grattan raceway videos from saturday. The Joe and the aaron videos are the best. http://www.adfabdesign.com/RaceEvents/Grattan_7-26-08/Grattan-7-26-08-videos.html
I also talked about it in this thread. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107882

Latest Posts

Back