What. Lobby fixes are in the game code

• Thread starter allstyle86
  • 13 comments
I think its for the benefit of everyone that more people look through more of what Nenkai has posted, there are some fascinating discoveries.

Part of the narrative certainly needs to shift from "PD delivered an unfinished game" to "PD got forced out the door early' - though it still begs the question as to exactly what they were working on for so long.

I agree Nebuc. I'm going through his post and seeing many comments from pissed off people. Legitimately so. What he's uncovering is showing that this game was far from complete. Whether it was Sony pushing to release or PD. Who knows. At the end of the day what we got is clearly unfinished. Basic functionality was stripped and disabled to meet the release date. Many comments saying ill give it one more month and if lobbies arent fixed its time to move on. Im right there with them.

I agree Nebuc. I'm going through his post and seeing many comments from pissed off people. Legitimately so. What he's uncovering is showing that this game was far from complete. Whether it was Sony pushing to release or PD. Who knows. At the end of the day what we got is clearly unfinished. Basic functionality was stripped and disabled to meet the release date. Many comments saying ill give it one more month and if lobbies arent fixed its time to move on. Im right there with them.
The thing I don't understand is how come it's a game with effectively 10 years worth of development time (GT Sport is just a GT7 prologue) yet the game still came out unfinished even with a delay. The average car development cycle is 3-4 years, so it doesn't make sense why it would take this long to make a game. If nerfing the game so it would work cross-platform with PS4 was the reason why, then it's a big mistake and Polyphony should've made that known.

Last edited:
How long will it take for developers to learn not to release a game before it is finished? To me, PD lied. This is not the most complete GT ever, it is not even complete at all. If it is because Sony forced the game to be released before it was finished, then the Gran Turismo franchise needs to be sold to a company that isn't focused on greed.

Last edited:
I'm a PS4 owner and I think it was still a terrible decision to release the game on PS4, it was clearly most if not all of the reason for the initial delay, the continued delays of new content, and a lot of the other issues we're seeing. It will continue to hold this game back for its entire existence.

I think its for the benefit of everyone that more people look through more of what Nenkai has posted, there are some fascinating discoveries.

Part of the narrative certainly needs to shift from "PD delivered an unfinished game" to "PD got forced out the door early' - though it still begs the question as to exactly what they were working on for so long.
Easy: PS4 port and possible PC version. Jimmy Ryan forced a PS4 port on them and, frankly, it hasn't brought that many more sales, as most of the purchases are on PS5.

Horizon also suffered with it. It got released in a state that was good enough, but not as refined as I'd expected. And God of War could have been delayed because of the PS4 version as well.

This was definitely a Sony issue, because it's usually publishers who push for early releases. Gran Turismo is a core part of Sony's first-party strategy, even more so with the newfound success which fringe groups repeatedly try to undermine (and fail miserably at it), and its release is part of a more global roadmap for the PlayStation platform and services.

To put it in context, when Cyberpunk 2077 was revealed to be a mess, it was revealed that the high management at CDPR forced the studio to release the game. That's not to say both games are comparable, though. I've played both at launch and Cyberpunk 2077 was plain broken, period. GT7 on the other hand was smooth as butter.

IMO GT7 should have been released in September, because Horizon was already being released at the time. Sucks about the lobbies, but vast majority of people don't play online and don't care about it. Focusing on the core rather than the features will eventually pay off when they finally add them, as the game will be more stable, given the short deadline they had.

Also Jalopnik is ****.

The thing I don't understand is how come it's a game with effectively 10 years worth of development time (GT Sport is just a GT7 prologue) yet the game still came out unfinished even with a delay. The average car development cycle is 3-4 years, so it doesn't make sense why it would take this long to make a game. If nerfing the game so it would work cross-platform with PS4 was the reason why, then it's a big mistake and Polyphony should've made that known.
The pandemics have changed everything. Chip shortage pushed publishers to force last gen ports on developers. Game development itself also became surprisingly difficult during this time. It doesn't excuse some of the things I've seen in crossgen releases, though.

Worth mentioning that TDU Solar Crown was gonna be a crossgen game but they canceled the ports and pushed the release to 2023. Meaning it's not just PD who's having difficulties.

Yeah like PD cares about 10 people on Twitter. The bread and butter of the game's online mode is Sport Mode.

Last edited:
I think the Lobby Reset problem may be the dynamic time. Every time a lobby is set up, it calculates a race. To change anything in that race, everyone needs to exit and re-join. Probably ends up quicker and less buggy by restarting.

Dynamic time probably can be changed on the fly on PS5. It works fine on PS4 once reset. Unfortunately for now PS5 players need to reset to play with PS4 to keep lobbies smooth. Solutions may come from updates or by allowing the host to choose PS5 or split lobbies. Keeping in mind over time more people will switch to PS5s.

Just a theory.

I think the Lobby Reset problem may be the dynamic time. Every time a lobby is set up, it calculates a race. To change anything in that race, everyone needs to exit and re-join. Probably ends up quicker and less buggy by restarting.

Dynamic time probably can be changed on the fly on PS5. It works fine on PS4 once reset. Unfortunately for now PS5 players need to reset to play with PS4 to keep lobbies smooth. Solutions may come from updates or by allowing the host to choose PS5 or split lobbies. Keeping in mind over time more people will switch to PS5s.

Just a theory.
To further go down the rabbit hole with half baked theories, I wouldn’t be surprised if PD is getting orders from Sony, to “just do enough, to help the game along”….. until Sony has enough resources to ramp up PS5 production to meet demand. Where they’ll then announce that all future updates regarding GT7, will be PS5 only.

People need to realize that Sony is footing most the bill for GT7. And Sony’s interest isn’t solely focused on first party games. Their MAIN INTEREST is selling consoles. Gran Turismo, even though it’s passed it’s prime… is still a console seller.

If PD/Sony came out with an announcement tomorrow that PS5’s will be widely available come Monday, and from here on out GT7 will be PS5 only….. you would hear about a week or 2 of grumbling, followed by 90% of the GT7 audience slowly buying PS5’s over the next few months.

I bet Sony knows this too….

I hope I’m wrong. But I have a feeling that at least some of this will prove to be right

In other words…

In regards to optimizing system parity between consoles, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze if PS4 support is going to be 86’d in the near future

Last edited:
Back