What's the best season?

United States
Marin County
Well, depending on where you are, summer is either ending or has ended and the norther Hemisphere is going into fall. What season do you like best? As a coastal CA resident, the seasons aren't hugely distinctive, and in San Francisco specifically fall is typically a little warmer than summer actually. But I'm from New England (Maine) originally and early fall in that region is my favorite time of year - the chill, the colors, the spookiness of it. What season do you like best?

Autumn. Football, hockey, playoff baseball, nice trees, it isn't too hot, I can eat cider and donuts without being judged, pumpkin beers, and Thanksgiving is the best holiday. Also, in Michigan at least, deer hunting.

The only downsides are the amount of leaves to rake up and Halloween is terrible.

...and Halloween is terrible.
Halloween is great! TBH I never got onboard with the young adult "dress like a hoe and drink until unconscious" version of Halloween but the haunted hay ride part of it is fantastic. Maybe that's more of a New England thing...

I feel like this question was posed here before... Anyway, summer is the best season for me because I operate best when it's warm. It's also a good time to stop and sniff the flowers.

Here there are 3 seasons. Currently it’s wet season. Half the region is flooded.
There’s also hot season which is too hot and polluted to enjoy much time outside.
And there’s cool season which features the Yuletide period. My favourite time of year.

I feel like this question was posed here before...

Yep. I thought it was just me having déjà vu.

My answer's the same as it was then - whatever May-June-July counts as for northern hemisphere length-of-daylight reasons alone.

Second and third weeks of September - so really summer's ass. Warm and bright but not hot and oppressive; usually clear of rain but also a relatively high chance of just having a thunderstorm one day at random; gets dark outside just at a nice, cosy time and sufficiently coherent with child's bedtime.

Last edited:
My answer is the same as in the aforementioned thread, too:

Anything besides the 6 months of winter when it's -40 outside.

I'm in the UK so late Spring or Summer is the best.

I know people in the US love Autumn. Depending on where you are, the temperatures have dropped from being too hot for too long and you've got cooler crisp weather to look forward too with the leaves turning and dropping etc etc.

Autumn in the UK means the possibility of decent weather and daylight after 6pm has gone, for at least six months, and all you have to 'look forward to' is the cold and the damp. Winter these days doesn't mean bright days with crisp snow to frolic around in, it just means no daylight after 4pm and all enveloping dampness. Any snow quickly turns to slush. You think by Christmas/New Year, you've turned a corner, but no, the worst is still to come. Its only when you get to mid-April when it warms up a touch and starts getting lighter in the evening that it feel like you can start living your life again after a long stretch of virtual hibernation.

Back