Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 877 comments
The Mitsu 5500 is a nice "budget" choice (if buying a projector ever is one).

I personally have my eye on the BenQ W5000, mainly because I like the 6100 I still have (not using it, lamp is more than used up), and am inclined to stay with BenQ.

Unfortunately DLP has two big drawbacks for me. They have poor lenshift capabilities and they are comparatively noisy. Another benefit of the Mitsubishi is also that it is quite small for a full HD projector. I've been looking at the Sanyo Z3000 also but it's huge.

Last edited:
Does anyone in here use a velodyne SMS-1 to help EQ their sub? I got one the other day and am having trouble figuring out how to set a good house curve, and how steep it should be. I've got the sub flat by 2db from 15-80hz, but I don't know how big the house curve should be, and how quickly it should dip.

Hi everyone:
here is mine setup

Before this one I had an dell XPS600 (3.2GHz, 512Mb Video, 2GBRam)
Was a great build, but sadly (i noticed it after buying it, you can't upgrade) it died on me 3 weeks ago. last year i bought this one:

In it i got (homemade):
Thermaltake 1200w Psu
I7 920 (slightly overclocked to 3.2GHz) + upgraded cooler
Msi eclipse SLI mainboard
10Gb Ram ddr3 Crosair 1033
LG DVD Burner & LG BluRay Burner
XFX 280 GTX XXX
7.1 creative (came with mainboard)
500GB OS HDD
1 TB Storage
Hotswap Bay
G15 keyb.
G5? gaming mouse

PHOTO ADD:

The whole is combined with a Sony Bravia 40Z4500 as screen and tele
1910 Denon AVR
Canton Speakers + Buttkicker

If you wanna see my raciing rig,head over to the appropriated thread

Unfortunately DLP has two big drawbacks for me. They have poor lenshift capabilities and they are comparatively noisy. Another benefit of the Mitsubishi is also that it is quite small for a full HD projector. I've been looking at the Sanyo Z3000 also but it's huge.

The more I read, the better the Mitsu looks.

But now with all the 3D hype, and GT5 going 3D, a new 3D LCD may find it's way to my living room first...

There are some pretty neat looking configurations to be found in this thread.

Unfortunately, as I've never been a HiFi person, some brands don't mean anything to me and I just discovered I hardly know the first thing about what to look for when it comes to audio equipment.

So pardon me for asking this meta-question, but would you be so kind as to suggest speakers (5.1) to go with this receiver?

I was think of getting a Onkyo TX SR 507 or Onkyo TX-SR508 because of the HDMI equipment I'd like to connect (satellite receiver, 360, PS3) and for gaming, 5.1 seems like the way to go.

The room's rather small, about 16 m^2, and I'd like to have some nice, small speakers I could put on a stand (rear) and attach to the wall (front). The sub should be rather small, too.

All at a bargain price, of course, and available in Germany/Europe.

Thank you so much for any suggestions, or pointing me to an existing posting in this thread!

Q Acoustics 2000 Series, Q Acoustics 1010i, or Jamo A102HCS5's are well thought of at the moment. The Jamo's are the cheapest (£250-£300 in the UK) but also the smallest.

What Hifi are a pretty reliable source for this sort of thing.

Cheers, I think the Jamo are pretty close to what I'm looking for and bang on budget! And thanks for pointing me to What HiFi, that'll give me something to educate myself a bit.

Cheers, I think the Jamo are pretty close to what I'm looking for and bang on budget! And thanks for pointing me to What HiFi, that'll give me something to educate myself a bit.

i got mine from a company in germany (they ad in pc magazin for years begin alter... finish with ...nate.de). 7.1 (set 5.1 +2speakers) from canton, i'm pretty happy with it. they are small (got a small room too) not very expensive (around 250€ i think) and deliver a very proper sound.

If you look at my pics, the center is under the tv and left behind the cds.

Thanks again for the further advice! I just didn't want to go with the usual generic 5.1 systems that are sold to PC gamers, and I'm rather keen on having most of the input wires going into one piece of hardware, and the TV hooked up to all my electronics via a single lead from there.

Just to keep the clutter to a minimum, after having finished renovation I like the new, clean and minimalist look of the rooms.

I know it's a bit of a religion, but in shops everyone holds at least three opinions and I've got about € 1500 to spend on everything, including the new TV. I've been to a friend who spent a serious amount of cash, and once spoilt by a high end setup, he's quite incapable of suggesting anything for my purpose ;)

*ibo* S3 Racer I know the outfit you were talking of, though they are a bit notorious, aren't they? ;)

For my experience not. Been ordering there for a year now over there and i'm happy with them. the delivery time is 1 day. You pay on delivery i you wish. Did around 15 orders, they lost 2 of them because they were indentical to an other order from me... but then their service phone is pretty good (waiting under 1min. + they can really help you over the phone. But you may have good chances in finding certain products cheaper elsewhere.

But what exactly do you mean notorious??

They had a bit of a bad reputation for delivering not on time and handling warranty/support issues back in the days I was reading PC magazines ;)

A little update with a bigger monitor

desktop2a.jpg

and maybe next week I'm getting a Sony HT-DDW700
I'd personally stick with separate components over a HTIB or at the very least one that can utilize the full audio quality of your Blu-ray player like this one.

Note - I do not own nor have I read any reviews on the HT-S3300 and will not be held responsible for any issues you have should you choose to purchase said unit.
I will, however, take full responsibility should you happen to love it.

This is my current, new and improved setup:

The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR502. Not the most advanced receiver, but it supports S-Video (which is good, because my "new" TV is one of '95 RCA Home Theater SDTV with S-Video in), supports 6.1 speaker channels (which is perfect for my room) and it was a steal at only $60. It is also better in my opinion than the models Onkyo have since replaced it with, and it has component inputs for when I get an HDTV. The DVD player is mostly just there because the receiver looks better with something on top of it, and I plan on replacing it with a LaserDisc player sometime in the future (I also made sure to put wooden spacers between the DVD player and the receiver so it has proper ventilation):
1009999copy.jpg

The powered sub is the result of a lightbulb going off in my head and a trip to RadioShack. My previous home theater system was a crappy Wal-Mart Special Regent HT-391 fake surround sound system. I noticed that the Powered Sub Out jack on the back of the Onkyo was a standard RCA plug, so I got to thinking that maybe if I run it through an audio splitter I could run the Sub Out directly into the Regent and use it as a powered sub. Happily enough, it works fantastically, and seeing as how I got the Regent at a yard sale for $20, it was crazy cheap. The Regent also came with a seperate remote, so I can adjust whatever I want in regards to bass and overall volume without fiddling with it through the receiver settings:
1010004copy.jpg

The speakers, sadly, are all the somewhat mediocre things that came with the Regent, except for:
1009982copy.jpg

A single Technics SB-K45. I actually have 4 of these monsters, but I only have space for one of them, so I figured "why not?" As the Onkyo has tons of individual speaker settings in regards to distance, volume and speaker size, I managed to set it up so it doesn't sound that different from the other 5 (except for bass, of course). I built the speaker mount in order to get the Technics at least somewhat close in height to the other speakers.

The steering wheel mount is something that I thought of last night and put together over the course of the day. I have more pictures of it and a bit more detail about it here. Similarly, the "computer chair" is something that I Frankensteined out of two different chairs over the course of an afternoon. The PS3 is a CECHAxx with a 320GB HDD. Also connected is a SCPH-30001 PS2, a twin-output JVC X'Eye and a Mk. II Sega Genesis/Sega CD.

Altogether, for $83 ($20 for the "sub" and the speakers, $60 for the receiver and $3 for the RCA splitter), a fantastic set up if I do say so myself. After I upgrade to an HDTV (I'm looking around 35" or so), I'm going to swap out the speakers for a better set, but as it is now everything is fine.

Last edited:
TB
I'd personally stick with separate components over a HTIB or at the very least one that can utilize the full audio quality of your Blu-ray player like this one.

Note - I do not own nor have I read any reviews on the HT-S3300 and will not be held responsible for any issues you have should you choose to purchase said unit.
I will, however, take full responsibility should you happen to love it.

Man I wish I'd seen that one laying about when I went hunting for a sound system. I ended up getting a Sony HT-DDW685, no HDMI but thankfully it has at least one optical digital input. My only other choice at the time was a 1100 watt MUTEKI which was gorgeous and all, but WAY over my budget, not to mention I don't have enough space in my room for that many speakers.
I'm happy with my setup anyway, given the size of my room I think I ended up with the most appropriate system.

Made some new additions to the set up.
Built a riser for the couch for some stadium seating action. And placed red led lights for a dirty bias lighting setup. haha

21afndc.jpg

33w48w2.jpg

2vazjpg.jpg

B&W 805s
B&W HTM4
Monitor Audio Bookshelves
Emotiva xpa-5
Denon reciever
Velodyne 1000w Sub
Vizio 55" 240hz LED
PS3

Last edited:
Warning: This is a long post.
I finally have upgraded all my gear so that I have a decent soundstage and a good picture. The old 5.1 was subjected to a brownout and developed a hum on the analog input and no DTS, only DD 5.1 but it was old, got it in Sept 2000. Great sound at the time for that money (€600)

My cheap 32 inch TV died after 5 years (2005-2010) but I might be able to repair it. It was one of the few "Cheap" sets that was pixelmapped on the VGA and DVI inputs. (€1000)

The other gear that's connected to this is a dish-box with component and HDMI output, PS2 slim, PS3 Fat with 250 GB harddrive and a computer from time to time. I also had a switchbox for the digital outputs to the single input on the Videlogic system.

First (November 2009) I upgraded the TV to a Sony 40w5500 (€790) that had the same width as the Acer but was 40 inch instead of 32. And a few other "minor" upgrades like

1080P instead of 720P!
Real blacklevels!
4 HDMI

The difference in picture quality was astounding, the details in the Lord of the Rings series DVD was amazing! Now I could really see the great work that the scaler in the PS3 does. But I also saw the difference between DVD and Bluray. I only had two (Planet earth and Wall-E). Still had the "old" Videologic system that delivered what I thought was a good sound. But still I had to rotate the inputs every time I put a disc in the PS3 and no DTS. So I didn't get the full sound from LotR and my blurays at the time had DD so I was fine. Then I got Avatar and "Percy Jackson and the Lightning thief" with only DTS tracks, bummer, had to rely on the PS3 to down sample it to PCM stereo :yuck:

Then I got a bonus from my company and was able to upgrade. But my question was with what? I only had about €500 to spend. Not much if you want the the same or better sound than the old system.

I looked at the Logitech Z5500 but that had the same limitations as my old system no HDMI, "only" DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 thru digital connections. The price was around €360 and the sound is similar to the Videologic but not as detailed due to a single speaker configuration. Lots of power though. Then by chance I saw a sale on a set of H/K HKTS-7 for almost half the price, €198 vs €390. I had listen to them before but they was outside my budget because you need a amplifier for them.

Looked around the internet for a cheap and good amp, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo and sunk my soul into AVSforums.com and other audio/video sites. Tried to figure out what type of amp that would sound good with the H/K set. Then I got the recommendation to look at Denon or Yamaha. With some luck Denon just released the new 1611eu/591us model and it was available for just €299.

I ran to the stores for my upgrades. :)

My livingroom is not what you can call an optimal audio enviroment :dunce: so I was used to having a small sweetspot and a lack of immersion.

After replacing the old sound system and calibrating the new one I sat down and tested DTS-HD master audio for the first time. The weapon of choice: AVATAR.

I was floored with the difference! Big soundstage, detailed sound, easy to hear dialogue. Hastily I switched disc to LotR and the DTS 6.1 soundtrack. Almost the same difference, thumping bass, brilliant details.

Conclusion, this was the largest upgrade I've done since I got my first 5.1 sound system. I still don't know if it is just the receiver or a combination with the speakers. The thing is that they are similar in size, 3 inch drivers with a tweeter and a 8 inch 70 watts sub, compared to the 10 inch 100 watts H/K.
The front and surrond speakers on the Videologic DTS are decent Audax cones and tweeters and I don't know what H/K uses in their low end systems.

But the Audyssey MultEQ did a stellar job compensating for my livingroom, lots of windows, high WAF(Wife Acceptance Factor), not optimal placement of the speakers.

So I'm a happy camper for the next 5 years at least.

Old equipment:
Videologic Digitheatre DTS
984992972.jpg

Acer AT3201W
sc001.jpg

New and improved equipment:
Sony KDL40w5500
Denon 1611EU
H/K HKTS-7

Other:
PS3 Fat
PS2 Slim
Apple Bluetooth keyboard
Creative HQ-2300D Headphone amp DD & DTS
Canal Digital HD box

CIMG9908.JPG

CIMG9909.JPG

CIMG9910.JPG

CIMG9911.JPG

CIMG9912.JPG

Last edited:
Nice little upgrade, m00ndancer! 👍

One thing I would suggest is something like this, or for an even cleaner look (and higher WAF! ;)) this one, for between the TV and entertainment center to hide the cables. Other than that, looks good!

Edit: For some reason the links aren't working. :grumpy:

Edit Edit: And now they are...

Made some new additions to the set up.
Built a riser for the couch for some stadium seating action. And placed red led lights for a dirty bias lighting setup. haha

21afndc.jpg

Ohhhh man B&W 8 Series you legend!

Love B&W, run the 6 series at home in 7.1 with front heights, flawless build quality and sound reproduction.

When i get time i will post up my setup, here is an old pic from my old house, im in new house with loads of new stuff, will take some images and post up soon.

PIC_1098.jpg

Well ain't life grand, I catch a cold and 2 days later the power source in my Bravia goes kaput. At least that's what I gathered from the technician after I spoke to him and told him about the LED error code the TV gave me when I tried to turn it on.
Worse things could've happened money wise, I suppose.

Here is mine:

The tv is a ''53 RCA projection that my uncle got me for Christmas '09, since they were getting a new plasma. He just mostly wanted to get rid of it, and I was the perfect solution! The Home Theater equipment is an RCA unit. My parent's aren't using it, as they're planning on getting a new hi def set up with a Blu-Ray and all that.

TV/ receiver/sub/front and center speakers:
DSC02093.jpg

Opposite TV and back speakers on both sides of the counch on the floor:
DSC02094.jpg

And the receiver itself:
DSC02095.jpg

I need some help though. The receiver will not stay on. It turns on for a few seconds, then it shuts itself off. Can someone help?

We have that same TV in our living room! :lol:

I need some help though. The receiver will not stay on. It turns on for a few seconds, then it shuts itself off. Can someone help?
That can be any number of things. Get some canned air and blow it out. If it still gives you crap, make a separate thread about it and I'll see if I can walk you through some of the more common things.

Back