Why are the sounds in GT games so consistently bad?

• Thread starter RichardC27
  • 84 comments
There are 1000+ cars.

Think about that. Shouldn't expect the sounds to get better unless the car count is drastically cut, it simply is not realistically doable to have every car sound exactly correct with that many cars.

Yeah I'm thinking ...... from your post that you have a very descriptive forum name.:indiff:

Scotty

All the premiums are recorded from the cars themselves on a dyno and they sound fantastic on my system. Some of the standard cars still have poor sound quality. Maybe your sound system sucks?

This "maybe your soundsystem sucks" excuse is really getting old.
Some of the sounds just suck period.

Buy an '05 Ford Mustang and put the sport exhaust on it.
No soundsystem in the world will make it sound like a V8, it sounds like a bloody weedwacker.

Go on, try it and then tell me it doesn't ****ing suck that a 4,6l V8 sounds like a gardening tool. The weird thing is, it sounds good with the stock exhaust, so I wonder why it sounds so different.

With the 1000 cars available, of course they couldn't make every car sound like IRL, but they could at least given every car the right sound for their engine type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twcu4zG6FEU&feature=player_embedded

Not that theres Porsche in Gran Turismo.... But listen to this and tell me Gran Turismo has good sounds.

ok first off before any one says anything i think Need for speed shift is garbage. the phyisics are crap the track and car modeling is below average but hell they got the sound right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZcDdcBQavU&feature=related
tire sounds are annoying tho

So theres either a v8 in the porsche or a flat 6 in the vette according to NFS

I'm guessing PD doesn't own a subwoofer to test with, because so far only the Mach 1 Mustang sounds like its got balls.

Ferrari 458 is really bad. Sounds like someone blowing through two pieces of paper.

Some car sounds are pretty good though now, and PD do know how a car sounds. Just have to wait for PD to update most of them properly.

Ferrari 458 is really bad.

Sounds like someone blowing through two pieces of paper.

Some car sounds are pretty good though now, and PD do know how a car sounds. Just have to wait for PD to update most of them properly.

That's what I thought but the real car has a similar character to the GT5 one, after watching an EVO video

Its mainly the replay.

I'll capture some of the game and use that video. Difference is enormous.

Well off course, Sherlock, expecting a game to, that has to meet strict memory budget limits, to match real life is asking too much

As my personal point of view, GT5 has by far the best sound than any other GT, and most car games. Havn´t you notice how the doppler effect is almost perfect? I´ve played it with my tv speakers just to try it, and even with the crappy Bravia Tv speakers it sounds nice as heck. Not to mention, with my Bravia theatre, GT is one of the best experiences.

What you probably mean is the engine sound samples. That, my friend is another story. Although PD has done a mayor effort in this part( just remember how most V8 Mercedes Benz sounded in GT4(just to name an example), now they all sound like the badass V8 engines that they have), there are still cars that have a wrong sound sample, or that had the correct one on previous GT´s, and now they don´t. But in most cases, it can be fixed changing the exhaust. I´m glad that most of my favorites that didn´t have their correct engine sound have been fixed, or can be fixed with an exhaust.

As apposed to Gran Turismo's 100% authentic sound?

As apposed to cars with different engines sounding different. When a car sounds like it does in NFS, it's got a big bore exhaust. But bigger doesn't always mean better when it comes to the speed of the air flow.

I mean, it's really down to what's "good". NFS does sound good. It's bassy, it's full of wind noise and environmental sounds. It's got a good balance to everything and it sounds exciting. With GT games, It's just realistic without taking into account what the end user thinks is realistic. I remember seeing videos (in the gt3-4 era? round there) of the PD team recording rev sounds with the car(it was a red rx7? if i remember correctly) standing still, and it being driven on the track.

Because you obviously have these cars withe the exact same mods as the ones they used to record for the game :indiff:. I thought the same thing with the RM corvettes, but then I changed my sound on the system to large theater and lo and behold you can actually the roaring engine notes. Depending on your set up, some of the engine notes get muddled and hard to hear at all. You should know that when you select the car you hear how the engine turns over, very deep rumble...when racing, you hear the whine of the transmission and if your sound is set to full you can hear everything, including the burble of the roaring engine at speed. Sounds slightly like the Ford GT, but not as loud and roaring.

I think what he means is the engine sound samples, not the sound quality. Sound quality is over the top, no matter if you play it with tv speakers or a huge 7.1 theatre. I have to disagree with you. No matter if you have a 100,000 watt system, you won´t be able to fix the incorrect six cylinderish sound that the RM Corvette has and magicaly make it sound like a V8. Sound quallity is one thing, sound samples is another thing. You are not going to magicaly make a VW Bettle sound like a NASCAR just by cranking up the volume.:sly:

i've been watching vids of c63 amg's on youtube and their exhaust sounds stock and it is amazing... first time i bought one i changed into it in the garage and i heard it fire up and it was AMAZINGGGGGLY close to the vids i saw... i bought all 3 exhausts for it and tried them all and its nothing close to the sound of a c63amg and i ripped off all of its parts and still no luck :/

i've been watching vids of c63 amg's on youtube and their exhaust sounds stock and it is amazing... first time i bought one i changed into it in the garage and i heard it fire up and it was AMAZINGGGGGLY close to the vids i saw... i bought all 3 exhausts for it and tried them all and its nothing close to the sound of a c63amg and i ripped off all of its parts and still no luck :/
That has always been a problem in GT. If you change the exhaust, the whole engine sound changes as if you changed the engine itself. Something that for example, most NFS games didn´t suffer. Gran Turismo should be like past NFS games where. When you change the exhaust for example in a Viper, the car still sounded like a V10, but louder and deeper. Same goes for any V8 car in the game, the sound was still like a V8, but deeper and louder. It made more realistic sense. I quite don´t understand why PD has never fixed this. Is like the guys in charge of the sound samples don´t know anything about cars, or they simply don´t care... I´m used to that, but since I´m a car guy, that makes me really mad. Its not like we´re asking for the cars to sound like in real life, is just that we would like them to sound at least like the engine they have. Is not that hard... 4cyl sound like a 4cyl, as well as 1,2,3,5,6,8,10,12,16, rottary, etc... you get the idea...

Last edited:
Well off course, Sherlock, expecting a game to, that has to meet strict memory budget limits, to match real life is asking too much

I don't think asking "The Real Driving Simulator" to match real life is asking too much at all. I'm not asking for every single car to be 100% perfect, but cars with V8's should sound like they have V8's, cars with turbo V6's should sound like they have turbo V6's, and cars with V10's should sound like they have V10s. This is the 5th game in the series now, and the sound is still awful. It needs to be fixed

As has been said the premiums have been recorded in real life. As has also been said the game goes to great lenghts to reproduce sounds accurately, however here lies most of the problem.
In real life theres always random chaos thrown into the mix that influences how things end up sounding to you. The way your head, mouth, body, helmet etc vibrate will influence this, especially lound ones. Even your eardrums can be overwhelmed and distort erratically, no to mention the sound are interacting and bounding of millions of objects.

GT5 ignores this. What you have is clean undistorted sounds polished off by too much digital clean up and very basic reverb mechanics, whilst other game puposely introduce messy distorted sounds, and whilst beibg less accurate, end up sounding more raw.

I agree with OP, I would love to love the sounds, but I dont. They are pretty cold, lifeless, digitized, artficial etc. They and are missing substance or grittyness.
That said they are still great with the right setup, but not spectacular.

As my personal point of view, GT5 has by far the best sound than any other GT, and most car games. Havn´t you notice how the doppler effect is almost perfect? I´ve played it with my tv speakers just to try it, and even with the crappy Bravia Tv speakers it sounds nice as heck. Not to mention, with my Bravia theatre, GT is one of the best experiences.

What you probably mean is the engine sound samples. That, my friend is another story. Although PD has done a mayor effort in this part( just remember how most V8 Mercedes Benz sounded in GT4(just to name an example), now they all sound like the badass V8 engines that they have), there are still cars that have a wrong sound sample, or that had the correct one on previous GT´s, and now they don´t. But in most cases, it can be fixed changing the exhaust. I´m glad that most of my favorites that didn´t have their correct engine sound have been fixed, or can be fixed with an exhaust.
That's correct, the fully tuned SLS with titanium exhaust sounds like a 4 cylinder, re-fit the standard exhaust and it's 100% authentic.

Be aware there's a bug which means when you change the exhaust at the track, online or offline, the engine sound does not change, you have to exit the event and start another offline.

Try it with the SLS with standard and titanium exhausts, it's very clear when the new engine sound has been applied.

Last edited:
That's correct, the fully tuned SLS with titanium exhaust sounds like a 4 cylinder, re-fit the standard exhaust and it's 100% authentic.

You can get a V8 to sound like that, but it's nothing to do with the exhaust. A flat plane crank V8 (a la Ferrari) does sound a bit like that, but changing the exhaust on a 'normal' V8 would never make it sound like a flat plane engine. Another thing that's always bugged me from GT3 onwards

You can get a V8 to sound like that, but it's nothing to do with the exhaust. A flat plane crank V8 (a la Ferrari) does sound a bit like that, but changing the exhaust on a 'normal' V8 would never make it sound like a flat plane engine. Another thing that's always bugged me from GT3 onwards
I know but for some reason PD sometimes chooses to change the entire character of an engine when a titanium exhaust is fitted.

The SLS is the best example as the change is so obvious it ruins the car for me, re-fitting the standard exhaust brings back the AMG V8 rumble, it's worth losing a few BHP.

As has been said the premiums have been recorded in real life. As has also been said the game goes to great lenghts to reproduce sounds accurately, however here lies most of the problem.
In real life theres always random chaos thrown into the mix that influences how things end up sounding to you. The way your head, mouth, body, helmet etc vibrate will influence this, especially lound ones. Even your eardrums can be overwhelmed and distort erratically, no to mention the sound are interacting and bounding of millions of objects.

GT5 ignores this. What you have is clean undistorted sounds polished off by too much digital clean up and very basic reverb mechanics, whilst other game puposely introduce messy distorted sounds, and whilst beibg less accurate, end up sounding more raw.

I agree with OP, I would love to love the sounds, but I dont. They are pretty cold, lifeless, digitized, artficial etc. They and are missing substance or grittyness.
That said they are still great with the right setup, but not spectacular.

I dunno, seems like GT5 has gone down the distortion route for the worse :(

Sounds really distorted to me....

No Sherlock, I wasn't expecting that. I know about the memory limits.

If you think the 458 sound is anyway acceptable then I can't change your mind. You only have to listen to some of the other cars in the game to realize how poor it is.

I don't believe the premiums are recorded from the cars themselves.. I can definitely tell you that the turbo/supercharger sounds are seperate to the engine sounds, and they are out of proportion. Most of the engine sounds are like digital vacuum cleaner versions of the real cars. Some cars have nice engine sounds, i like the NASCAR sounds, but most of them are too tame or too quiet or too roland keyboard or too much turbo scream.

GT5 has sounds that are full of dimensions and layers, which is good... but the quality of the sounds in those layers and the way they sound blended in the cockpit/bumper views is some of the worst of any game i have played.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe that. I'm running on a full surround sound system with 5 speakers and a sub. No Chevrolet Corvette in the world sounds anything like my ZR1 RM. That should be a booming, rumbling beast of a V8 sound. Instead it sounds like a very weedy flat plane crank V8. In fact, with a bit of tweaking, that's what my Ferrari 458 should sound like.

as somebody else said, set it to theatre in gt5 menu. Mine sounds awesome 5.1
Also, it is a bit weird to see you posting with multiple accounts in the same thread...

There are 1000+ cars.

Think about that. Shouldn't expect the sounds to get better unless the car count is drastically cut, it simply is not realistically doable to have every car sound exactly correct with that many cars.

I think it is. GT5 was suppose to be released when the ps3 came out. But as we know that didnt happen. they had a good 5+ years after that to get everything to what all gamers expected GT5 to be. like for one reason making the jza80 supra a flippin premium car!! geez!! still mad about that! :mad: everybody knows that supra is one of the baddest cars in the tuner world

I think it is. GT5 was suppose to be released when the ps3 came out. But as we know that didnt happen. they had a good 5+ years after that to get everything to what all gamers expected GT5 to be. like for one reason making the jza80 supra a flippin premium car!! geez!! still mad about that! :mad: everybody knows that supra is one of the baddest cars in the tuner world

lol, it is my best drift car ever wich put me twice in top 240 in drift trials...
The nicest premium toyota. But i guess tastes are different eh...

Many people complain about how the cars sounds, but have any of you been in one of these machines built like you do in the game and drive it and see if it sounds like the one in the game? Considering that transmission whine is incredibly loud and it masks much of the other sounds, as I said the z06 RM'ed sounded weird to me at first, then one day I changed my sound setting to large theater because it was day time and lo and behold you can actually hear more of the V8, not as loud and pronounced as the Ford GT's, but it's there. Complaints ok, but fact is pretty much none of us have ever driven any of these cars, and or had similar mods in it to have a first hand experience. You watch too much TV, that is my answer to that. You hearing a car zooming by in the distance is a far cry from what that car sounds like when you are driving the thing at high speeds. This debate is so done, why doesn't GT5 sound like Forza 3 or Need For Speed...ever think that it's because everyone chooses to go about their things differently? Just because it sounds right doesn't mean it's actually from the real thing, NFS is guilty of this on a fairly consistent basis. Sure it sounds like the car, but it's actually sound from another car with a similar engine and just has it's values changed a bit to give it a slightly different sound. It's technology people, voice changers have been around for years.

Back