WRC 8: General Discussion (Release: september 2019)

You can even hire a meteorologist.

In-depth indeed.

D9C8D7CC-3C5B-499E-86E3-5B9FAB9C2EA7.png

Yeah depth looks extremely good. Hopefully they can sort out some of the little annoyances from WRC7 like the often janky crash physics and occasionally odd feeling physics.

I also meant to say the dash cam looks awesome. thank you thank you thank you :bowdown:

And while I don’t think there are precise FOV settings, at least we’re getting options to move the camera.

Really looking forward to this game. Preordered.

Nice. This is shaping up exactly as I'd hoped. After DiRT Rally 2.0 failed to grab me as much as I anticipated I'm here day one for this.

The handling is looking promising. The steering doesn't appear as floaty as in WRC7 or VR4, or DR2.0. 👍

I am very disappointed to see Cantera being the sum of El Cóndor and Cuchilla Nevada. I hope the rest of the rallies don't repeat like that.

Last edited:
What’s funny about the E3 interview is as soon as the Kylotonn guys start getting really in depth about the career mode the presenter says “Well we’re out of time!” and the guys say ok ok ok. :lol:

What’s funny about the E3 interview is as soon as the Kylotonn guys start getting really in depth about the career mode the presenter says “Well we’re out of time!” and the guys say ok ok ok. :lol:

I saw one like that, game director Alain being interviewed by a kid ! It's almost like he is happy to be interviewed by any Tom Dick or Harry. I would prefer just a couple of lengthy serious interviews by some well established car game enthusiasts, such as VVV.

I am very disappointed to see Cantera being the sum of El Cóndor and Cuchilla Nevada. I hope the rest of the rallies don't repeat like that.

To be fair that's the same as WRC7. The epic stages are 2 of the shorter stages together. I will say though that sometimes the shorter variants have slightly different routes so it's not quite as samey.

To be fair that's the same as WRC7. The epic stages are 2 of the shorter stages together. I will say though that sometimes the shorter variants have slightly different routes so it's not quite as samey.

Only some of the epics were like that (Finland, Sweden, Wales). The rest at least had the pasted stages reversed so they were different.

But this is the same shenanigans that Codemasters pulls with DiRT Rally, converting 24 stages into 72 by cutting the long ones into two.

It's lazy and immersion - breaking and repetitive.

Kylotonn has loads of good stages from WRC 6 that disappeared. They should have given those the update treatment and brought them back.

Only some of the epics were like that (Finland, Sweden, Wales). The rest at least had the pasted stages reversed so they were different.

But this is the same shenanigans that Codemasters pulls with DiRT Rally, converting 24 stages into 72 by cutting the long ones into two.

It's lazy and immersion - breaking and repetitive.

Kylotonn has loads of good stages from WRC 6 that disappeared. They should have given those the update treatment and brought them back.

Almost all of the epics are like that. Reverse or not its still the same buts of stage.

And I'm totally fine with that. I think people forget how much work it takes for small teams to create bespoke stages, and lots of them. Especially in the case of WRC which has what, 14 rallies in total? It's been common practice forever in rally games and will continue to be so.

Almost all of the epics are like that. Reverse or not its still the same buts of stage.

And I'm totally fine with that. I think people forget how much work it takes for small teams to create bespoke stages, and lots of them. Especially in the case of WRC which has what, 14 rallies in total? It's been common practice forever in rally games and will continue to be so.

It has not been common practice forever. It's a [recent] Codemasters practice. And now evidently a Kylotonn one, too.

Reverse is fine in my book. Necessary, even.

Repeating is not fine in my book. Pasting stages that are already in the game to make an extra longer stage is a terrible marketing cop out. Codemasters does it and now Kylotonn is doing it. If you can't make a new unique stage, just leave the ones you have. This is a terrible practice. And they aren't fooling anyone. If you only have four stages per rally fine. At least they're unique. Don't try to invent more stages out of thin air by pasting them together.

Milestone did 500km over 64 stages without repeating anything in SLRE. That's the way it should be done. Sure, they're graphically sparse and not pretty to look at but they're real and diverse and fun to drive. And they didn't stoop so low as to join the smaller stages just to artificially inflate the stage count.

Between Codemasters' half-finished buggy games with aggressive DLC schemes and Kylotonn throwing in the towel on unique stages I'm honestly, as you can tell, pretty miffed.

Last edited:
The only time I think it's ok to use parts of one stage in another is when just a small section is used to link up a new stage, but there should be a very fine line of how much is used etc, and it shouldn't happen very often throughout all the stages in a game. And it's only ok as it could be seen as authentic and true to life as per a couple of real life stages in the WRC.

Maybe Argentina is just an anomoly, or incomplete or they were hiding stuff, because Chile has at least eight stages without repeats (four unique stages inverted makes eight).

Screenshot_20190621-175106.png

Source:

I like Shaun at the Simpit, but somewhat annoying when you get a developers name wrong, and then say it numerous times throughout your preview video. it's Kylotonn, not Klyotonn. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing the video though @Pfei , looks good, and promising. 👍

It has not been common practice forever. It's a [recent] Codemasters practice. And now evidently a Kylotonn one, too.

Reverse is fine in my book. Necessary, even.

Repeating is not fine in my book. Pasting stages that are already in the game to make an extra longer stage is a terrible marketing cop out. Codemasters does it and now Kylotonn is doing it. If you can't make a new unique stage, just leave the ones you have. This is a terrible practice. And they aren't fooling anyone. If you only have four stages per rally fine. At least they're unique. Don't try to invent more stages out of thin air by pasting them together.

Milestone did 500km over 64 stages without repeating anything in SLRE. That's the way it should be done. Sure, they're graphically sparse and not pretty to look at but they're real and diverse and fun to drive. And they didn't stoop so low as to join the smaller stages just to artificially inflate the stage count.

Between Codemasters' half-finished buggy games with aggressive DLC schemes and Kylotonn throwing in the towel on unique stages I'm honestly, as you can tell, pretty miffed.

I mostly agree. But it has been common practice for a long time. Reverse is the same as copy and pasting. It's the same stages, reversed, which is just as lazy as anything.

Also, for reference, SLRE had 246 unique stage KM which was inflated to 493km including the reverse stages. So not sure where you got 500km without repeating from.

RBR was the same, 4 unique stages and 2 reversed. With a measly 179 unique KM. WRC7 totals at an estimated 255km but with the varying sections may be closer to 280. Dirt rally 2.0 post DLC will total around 235km unique and was 148km unique pre DLC.

It's all about interpretation and what you interpret as unique but to me reverse doesn't count as unique. I'm fine with how all the games do it, there's strengths and weaknesses to all of them. How WRC8 does it will be interesting. Most of the rallies will retain the same routes as before, Germany I know for sure has been redone and Chile is obviously a new one so perhaps their blueprint going forward will be to do more unique stages and gradually build on what they have, so 4 unique plus reverse versions is pretty decent.

I mostly agree. But it has been common practice for a long time. Reverse is the same as copy and pasting. It's the same stages, reversed, which is just as lazy as anything.

Also, for reference, SLRE had 246 unique stage KM which was inflated to 493km including the reverse stages. So not sure where you got 500km without repeating from.

RBR was the same, 4 unique stages and 2 reversed. With a measly 179 unique KM. WRC7 totals at an estimated 255km but with the varying sections may be closer to 280. Dirt rally 2.0 post DLC will total around 235km unique and was 148km unique pre DLC.

It's all about interpretation and what you interpret as unique but to me reverse doesn't count as unique. I'm fine with how all the games do it, there's strengths and weaknesses to all of them. How WRC8 does it will be interesting. Most of the rallies will retain the same routes as before, Germany I know for sure has been redone and Chile is obviously a new one so perhaps their blueprint going forward will be to do more unique stages and gradually build on what they have, so 4 unique plus reverse versions is pretty decent.

I clearly stated that reversing stages in my book is legit, so it should be pretty clear how I got my numbers.

I am not complaining about reversing. The scenery may be the same, but the stage itself is a completely different beast when reversed.

It's easy to see that making a content-rich rally game without inverting stages is inviable. Basically just divide these numbers by two:

Screenshot_20190621-185022.png

I clearly stated that reversing stages in my book is legit, so it should be pretty clear how I got my numbers.

I am not complaining about reversing. The scenery may be the same, but the stage itself is a completely different beast when reversed.

It's easy to see that making a content-rich rally game without inverting stages is inviable. Basically just divide these numbers by two:

View attachment 830120

And as I said in my post it's up for individual interpretation. To me, using multiple stages to create one long one, and reversing stages, amount to the same thing. Reusing routes.

The WRC games of recent get away with the multiple stage = long stage thing because as I stated before, the routes get altered slightly and in some cases are reversed. I'm not complaining about the practices of either. But if you consider one to be lazy then the other is equally so.

Helpful insight about changing the wheel rotation setting to 360 from the default 540. This may be what I’ve been looking for all these years to make the steering in KT games a little more manageable. Setting the rotation higher than 540 to always resulted in a mess of mush and vagueness.

Strange that the collectors edition doesn't get early access.

Too bad they can’t ship discs early and give us early access.

I like physical copies (steelbook is cool) but there’s so much more flexibility with DD.

Torn...

Then again the collector edition is probably EU anyway.

Too bad they can’t ship discs early and give us early access.

I like physical copies (steelbook is cool) but there’s so much more flexibility with DD.

Torn...

Then again the collector edition is probably EU anyway.

Yep I'm with you, I much prefer physical...but based on my fun with WRC7 for the first time in a long time I may buy digital on day one, but knowing me probably not :) Dunno, dunno, dunno. Sucks that you guys in the Americas always have to play second fiddle.

Last edited:
Back