• Thread starter Sprite
  • 15 comments

Sprite

Beanbag Brain
Premium
United Kingdom
Horbury, West Yorkshire
GTP_Sprite
"Announcing the news in Tokyo yesterday, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates told reporters that his company and electronics giant Toshiba are expanding their alliance, planning to work on high-definition DVD players that would use a specialized version of Windows. Gates also said Microsoft might consider using HD DVD in a future update of the company's upcoming Xbox 360 video game console.

Microsoft is expanding an alliance with electronics giant Toshiba, inserting itself further into a battle over new DVD formats even as it tries to stay neutral on the issue.

Toshiba Latest News about Toshiba, which backs the HD DVD format over the rival Blu-ray Disc, plans to work with Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) Latest News about Microsoft on high-definition DVD players that would use a specialized version of the Redmond, Wash., company's Windows operating system. It's part of a broader plan by the companies to collaborate and share technology.

Announcing the news in Tokyo yesterday, Bill Gates told reporters that Microsoft also might consider using HD DVD in a future update of the company's upcoming Xbox Latest News about Xbox 360 video-game console.

Presidential Praise

Appearing with the Microsoft chairman, Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida called the expanded alliance a positive development for the Japanese electronics company and for the HD DVD format in general.

But Gates and other Microsoft executives said the company isn't exclusively supporting either format as the standard for next-generation DVD players or other machines.

"Our partnership really doesn't represent Microsoft endorsing one format or another," said Kevin Eagan, general manager of Microsoft's OEM division, which works with computer hardware makers.

The situation represents a balancing act for Microsoft as it tries to expand the use of Windows and the Windows Media format in next-generation computers and consumer-electronics devices.

Supporters of the Blu-ray Disc technology include the world's two largest PC makers, Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ) Latest News about Hewlett-Packard and Dell (Nasdaq: DELL) Latest News about Dell Computer. Others include Microsoft rivals Apple Computer (Nasdaq: AAPL) Latest News about Apple and Sony (NYSE: SNE) Latest News about Sony, which is using Blu-ray Discs in its PlayStation 3 game console.
Squaring Off

Each camp claims its own benefits. Blu-ray discs would offer more capacity, storing up to 50 gigabytes each, compared with 30 gigabytes in an HD DVD disc. More capacity lends itself to sharper images. But supporters of HD DVDs say discs in that format are cheaper to produce because of similarities to existing DVDs.

Backers of the two formats have been trying to agree on a common format. But their inability to do so thus far raises the possibility of a format war along the lines of the Betamax-VHS battle in the early days of the videocassette recorder.

Microsoft's agreement with Toshiba isn't likely to shift the balance of power between the rival camps, said Josh Peterson, director of strategic alliances for HP's optical storage business and a spokesman for the Blu-ray Disc Association. He cited the support for Blu-ray among hardware makers and noted that Gates himself declined to endorse either format over the other.

"This doesn't really do anything to change the landscape between HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, primarily because the same issues that separate the two remain," Peterson said.
A Subtle Role

However, even with Microsoft's continued neutrality, the alliance with Toshiba could play at least a subtle role in upcoming talks between backers of the rival formats, said analyst Richard Doherty, research director of the Envisioneering Group in Seaford, N.Y.

It "might make the talks go faster, or it might make them more strained. There's no way of telling so far," Doherty said.

However, he added that the Toshiba president is not likely to "leave his press clippings behind" about the expanded Microsoft alliance.

Microsoft and Toshiba said in a statement that they would "investigate the development" of HD DVD players that would be based on Microsoft's Windows CE operating system for consumer-electronics devices. The machines would work with DVDs using Windows Media technology, Microsoft's Eagan said.

The companies declined to give other specifics, such as when the high-definition DVD players with the Microsoft technology would debut.

Microsoft and Toshiba agreed in April to share a range of patented technology through an arrangement known as a cross-licensing agreement. They described yesterday's announcement as a continuation of that deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The companies have worked together in the personal computer market for the past two decades, with Toshiba using the Windows operating system in laptops, Media Center PCs and Tablet PCs. Toshiba said yesterday that it is working on new computers that will run on the next version of Windows, code-named Longhorn, due for release late next year."
Source :- technewsworld.com

About blooming time Big Bill got his act together and used a next gen media for his new X-box, like how he whent for the one againg Sony ;)

unsanctified
For those of you who don't feel like reading the above article, I'll sum it up for you.

The Xbox 360 will own.

I don't now how you can make a judgement like that when both consoles are not out yet or finalised.....we can only go on the info that has been released so far.

Robin 2223
I don't now how you can make a judgement like that when both consoles are not out yet or finalised.....we can only go on the info that has been released so far.

Well I'm a prophecy and you're not. I know the future and the Xbox 360 will own you and probably your soul.

Just believe me, okay?

unsanctified
Well I'm a prophecy and you're not. I know the future and the Xbox 360 will own you and probably your soul.

Just believe me, okay?

Yes, OK I believe you! :lol:

code_kev
I don't say a word when any one says the ps3 will pwn, hell I've said it myself. So nerrr, I'm no hypocrit...for now at least. :dopey:

Well I will give you that, but you are very quick, on the other hand, to scold those who say that the xbox will not, or anything negative in reference to microsoft in general :P

And you do tease sony fans a lot and make us feel sad :guilty: we have feelings too, and you make me cry :nervous:

It does'nt look like HD DVD for the 360 is written in stone.
Gates also said Microsoft might consider using HD DVD in a future update of the company's upcoming Xbox 360 video game console.
When would this "update" appear? Will it make 360's sold before this update is released obsolete?
Sony still have the upper hand as far as new media technology goes in comparison to the 360.

Way I look at it, there are three party involved in the blu-ray vs. HD-DVD. Sony camp(blu-ray), Toshiba camp(HD) and the consumers. There was a talk earlier this year about Sony side and Toshiba side meeting to settle some of the differeces and come up with some sort of resolution. That went nowhere. Now that they've decided to battle it out, way I see it, I see two parties losing, while only one wins. Consumers being one of the losers. 👎

slackbladder
It does'nt look like HD DVD for the 360 is written in stone.
When would this "update" appear? Will it make 360's sold before this update is released obsolete?
Sony still have the upper hand as far as new media technology goes in comparison to the 360.
That would be my concern also. I wish there was a way Microsoft can Toshiba can work something out quickly, so X360 can have the HD-DVD drive at launch. I'm not knowledgeable on the technical datas of the DVD format or the X360 console, but according to the EGM magazine I read, it said something about in one of the games, just voice over alone takes 50% of the space on the standard DVD? I'm not sure if they were saying 50% of the dual or single layer DVD, however.

I doubt it would take up that much... even DVD commentaries don't take up that much room, that's why you sometimes see two or three separate commentaries on one disc.

The one problem with adding HD-DVD to XB360 in a "future update" is that it can never be supported if they do that.

Let's say they release the standard DVD-based 360 this year. Then, next year, say nine or ten months after launch, they release the HD-DVD version. Then, the year after that, they release Halo 4 on HD-DVD disc. What about the five million people who own DVD-based 360's? Are they just out of luck? So you see.. if the system launches with a DVD drive, then all games, for the entire life of the console, will have to be on DVDs. Period.

At that point, what's the advantage of the HD-DVD drive? There won't be one.

What this does show, I think, is Microsoft's uncaring attitude towards it's customers. Even Toshiba and Sony agree that a format war will be a bad thing, and here Microsoft is actually encouraging a format war, by purposefully backing the "other" format from what Sony is doing. They don't care about the customer, they're just trying to combat Sony.

Are Microsoft going to support HD DVD?
But Gates and other Microsoft executives said the company isn't exclusively supporting either format as the standard for next-generation DVD players or other machines.
For PC's and other similar technology they might. But the 360?
It may be that they are waiting to see whcich comes out on top. However I do think it is a big mistake by Microsoft not to have HD DVD for the 360.

unsanctified
Well I'm a prophecy and you're not.

So, umm, you're a 'prophecy'? Err... okay.

Coming from a computer company such as Microsoft, I'm really not surprised about the Xbox 2's possible built-in obsolenscence.

Back