Your car's interior

• Thread starter Thatman
  • 113 comments
I have ZERO in all my cars unless you can count the "cup placement" feature in the rx7 :lol:

Riiight... Count that! :lol:

EDIT: I was thinking of what car in my life have my parents own that doesn't have a cup holders and just now I remember it's a Proton Wira! It doesn't have the cup holders in a car and it's a pain in the ass whenever we buy drinks etc. So we went to an accessories shop and found a cup holder add-on for the car. How to install it? You have to remove the small bit of wooden trim on the dashboard and in install it there... Hmmm... :lol:

Last edited:
Haha, I thought the little cup indents on my RX-7 were ridiculous too. Sadly the foxbody mustang has no cup holders either. Unless you were to use the secret cup holder that most of us foxbody owners know about...

Last edited:
I have ZERO in all my cars unless you can count the "cup placement" feature in the rx7 :lol:

Doesn't the Buick have one that folds out of the center armrest?

I know all of the LeSabres and Park Aves I've been around from that same generation have had one there...

Haha, I thought the little cup indents on my RX-7 were ridiculous too. Sadly the foxbody mustang has no cup holders either. Unless you were to use the secret cup holder that most of us foxbody owners know about...

I know right? Did the Mazda engineer's honestly think "why there should be some place for cups.."(and another guy just says)"No the only time for cups will be the for when the car sits still!"

And what is this "secret cup holder" your talking about? Or maybe its just too secret...:lol:
Doesn't the Buick have one that folds out of the center armrest?

I know all of the LeSabres and Park Aves I've been around from that same generation have had one there...

Your almost on the money!
Yes all Park Avenues and LeSabres DO have one that folds out(my moms car actually has two) BUT my car is a "Buick Electra Park Avenue", Unless of course that was featured on the Ultra model of its time. :P

My car has no cup holder either. The "cup holder feature" involves removing the change compartment ashtray to make a hole in the center console that decently fits most cups.

Not my car, but like this:

240cupholder.jpg

Except it seems he fabbed some kind of trim for it to look better.

My car has no cup holder either. The "cup holder feature" involves removing the change compartment ashtray to make a hole in the center console that decently fits most cups.

Not my car, but like this:

240cupholder.jpg

Except it seems he fabbed some kind of trim for it to look better.

I always kept my drinks by my waist between the seatbelt latch
but you could always do thisDIY cupholder

I always kept my drinks by my waist between the seatbelt latch.
I do that for drinks with caps or thin cans like red bull or something, but for something like what you get out of a fast food place it doesn't work. I don't really eat in my car, but I still need somewhere to put the cup until I get to where I'm going.

I always kept my drinks by my waist between the seatbelt latch
I used to do that with bottles in my old Civic. The cup holders were terrible so I just slid them down between seat and center console. My Rex is another story. Not only does it not have cupholders, but there's no space in between the seat and console because of the lap belt brackets, so I literally have no secure place for cups or bottles of any sort.

EDIT: Oh...oh my...

cluster-in.jpg

cup2.jpg

What we have here is an early 90s Subaru double-DIN bracket with flip-open cubby, Subaru cupholder unit (standalone thing, pretty nifty), and relocated idiot lights using connectors from the same damn Subaru which happen to be the same connector Mazda used.

This man is a genius.

Last edited:
I do that for drinks with caps or thin cans like red bull or something, but for something like what you get out of a fast food place it doesn't work. I don't really eat in my car, but I still need somewhere to put the cup until I get to where I'm going.
I usually take bottles of water with me. I have put Fast food cups before it work perfectly with me.
I used to do that with bottles in my old Civic. The cup holders were terrible so I just slid them down between seat and center console. My Rex is another story. Not only does it not have cupholders, but there's no space in between the seat and console because of the lap belt brackets, so I literally have no secure place for cups or bottles of any sort.

Ouch...

Okay, so I guess now is the time to ask... what's the deal with Americans and cup holders? Over there cars seem to literally bomb in the sales charts if they don't have enough cup holders...

I don't mind not having cup holders but when you have multiple cups it gets annoying because I worry about the other cup's spilling.

Convenient for drive-thrus.

Mine's right under the radio, just pulls right out. Won't hold cups over a "small" though. That, however, is why I keep a cardboard drink carrier in the car...

Okay, so I guess now is the time to ask... what's the deal with Americans and cup holders? Over there cars seem to literally bomb in the sales charts if they don't have enough cup holders...
These day's it's getting pretty ridiculous. Having a cup holder per person is nice on a long trip when everyone takes drinks, or when coming home from the drive through. But lately it seems the front seats usually have four cup holders. The new Miata? Four. Two people, four cup holders, two in the console and one on each door. I mean, seriously? Minivan sales rely solely on the number of cup holders because that determines how many bottles of Gatorade can be held, and that determines how many filthy soccer kids you can throw in the back.

Keef, Toyota used those little cupholders for quite some time as well, they are nifty.

Before. Just to kinda get an idea.

Now. I just need to make a little plate to go under the stereo, covering the wires and what not.

int1.jpg

One of these days i'd like to go back to the minimalist route, perhaps when I get a second Miata.

At least in my case, I use my cup holders to hold stuff. Change, cell phone, iPod, etc. So, the more the merrier on occasion.

My old Volkswagens had absolutely useless cupholders, the Fox having some in the glove compartment, and the Jetta having ridiculously small ones in front of the gear lever (there were some for the back seat that I used to hold my drinks). The Celica is a slight step forward, just two that pull out from my arm rest. But as a flimsy piece of plastic, they do little to actually hold stuff. Boooooo.

I just want to show you my rear seats cup holder...

IMG_0019.JPG

Pretty inconvinient too if someone is sitting in the middle.

The family Silverado has basically the same thing. I've never understood why it had two in the center when there is one on both rear doors.

Also, something chuckle worthy:
cupholder.jpg

My dad has the required materials. I'll see if I can get him to install such a cup holder in his Cabriolet.

The new Miata? Four. Two people, four cup holders, two in the console and one on each door.
Well, if other Mazdas have the same problem that mine has, then it’s a good strategy. :P My windshield washer fluid hose is permanently broken, so I keep a water bottle full of washer fluid in my door cup holder, and actual drinks in the center cup holder. Although I rarely drink anything in my car, so the center cup holders are usually re-appropriated for holding keys, change, etc.

Also, something chuckle worthy:
cupholder.jpg

Is that a real engine block :drool: ?

Maybe I should get a stripped out chevy 350 as a cup holder for my corvette. Doesn`t leave much room for the passenger I guess, but I usually drive alone anyways:ouch:. (Yes I am joking)

My old Corvette doesn`t have any cup holders either. I don`t drink or eat in my car but I still could have used them for holding my cellphone. And for holding the GPS the one time I was delivering flowers for my mothers shop with my Corvette :dopey:. Got a lot of weird looks that day...

Well I finally got some night pictures of my gauges....there must be a setting Im missing here...
101_3722.jpg

^RX7
101_3736.jpg

^Eclipse
101_3733.jpg

^Buick's CD player that's the same color as the gauges, but for some reason were coming out WAAAAAY too dark like the rest.

I know right? Did the Mazda engineer's honestly think "why there should be some place for cups.."(and another guy just says)"No the only time for cups will be the for when the car sits still!"

And what is this "secret cup holder" your talking about? Or maybe its just too secret...:lol:

Your almost on the money!
Yes all Park Avenues and LeSabres DO have one that folds out(my moms car actually has two) BUT my car is a "Buick Electra Park Avenue", Unless of course that was featured on the Ultra model of its time. :P

It's so secret that many foxbody owners don't know about it...Putting my life at risk here posting it but here it goes haha. Between the ebrake and the passenger seat, cups fit perfectly, they don't move at all when they're wedged in there!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
And to a car that has no cup holders, as far as I could work out:

Had this car "on test" over the last weekend. Smart ForTwo Cdi. Because it was a press fleet car Smart had chucked every option they could find at it so it was quite a pleasant space to spend time. Leather, climate control, satnav, iPod connection, bluetooth, flappy paddle gearbox, convertible roof - loads of stuff.

DSC_0563.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

DSC_0565.jpg

Did a good 700-odd miles in it last weekend including nine hours of driving on Saturday. Seats are inexplicably more comfortable on short trips and very long trips than medium (1 to 2 hour ish) ones. Trim was good, everything felt solid and my mate fit fine in the passenger seat, he's a shade over 6' tall and had space to spare.

Cubby space is good (trays to either side of the steering wheel, glovebox, nets in the doors, parcel shelf and large nets on the rear bulkhead) and boot space is big enough for a couple of travel bags.

Writing a review on it which'll go up in the next few days.

^
I was sorta wondering about how a car that small if it would be comfortable at all. Kinda look way better then the inside of my brother's Buick Rendezvous interior.
It's so secret that many foxbody owners don't know about it...Putting my life at risk here posting it but here it goes haha. Between the ebrake and the passenger seat, cups fit perfectly, they don't move at all when they're wedged in there!

:lol: Thats interesting.

AAHHOOoooo. :lol:

The Buick Is worse, All I have is the center arm rest and the glove box,(which is very tiny) though come to think of it I also have little storage "bags" attached to the back of the seats but no cup holders....
I have 2 pockets in each door, and a glove box, I win!
Same here.

I throw my bottles in the space behind where the arm rest folds out. There's the indent in the seat where the armrest would go when folded up, so all my crap goes there.

When I get a better sub, if ever, I'm gonna custom build the box to include cup holders. 2 holes to make it a ported box, 2 more to be used as cup holders (sealed off of course, done properly)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SN95 trick too ;) My dad had to do that in his '96, and he still does it in the '04, even though he has cup holders :lol:

And to a car that has no cup holders, as far as I could work out:

Had this car "on test" over the last weekend. Smart ForTwo Cdi. Because it was a press fleet car Smart had chucked every option they could find at it so it was quite a pleasant space to spend time. Leather, climate control, satnav, iPod connection, bluetooth, flappy paddle gearbox, convertible roof - loads of stuff.

snip

Did a good 700-odd miles in it last weekend including nine hours of driving on Saturday. Seats are inexplicably more comfortable on short trips and very long trips than medium (1 to 2 hour ish) ones. Trim was good, everything felt solid and my mate fit fine in the passenger seat, he's a shade over 6' tall and had space to spare.

Cubby space is good (trays to either side of the steering wheel, glovebox, nets in the doors, parcel shelf and large nets on the rear bulkhead) and boot space is big enough for a couple of travel bags.

Writing a review on it which'll go up in the next few days.

Over in California, the Smart (we only have the ForTwo) is a tell-tale sign that the driver is the kind of person who.... how do I put this... didn't think their purchase through at all. It's more of a fashion accessory, since there are very very few parking places where the size comes in handy (even in the city) and tends to be impractical on the highway. Smarts are for the kind of person who's an active member of PETA but must have leather seats in their car...

Is this different for you Brits? I wouldn't expect a car person to even bother with a Smart around here.

A humor article that sums up the Smart driver stereotype in the states

Last edited:
Over in California, the Smart (we only have the ForTwo) is a tell-tale sign that the driver is the kind of person who.... how do I put this... didn't think their purchase through at all. It's more of a fashion accessory, since there are very very few parking places where the size comes in handy (even in the city) and tends to be impractical on the highway. Smarts are for the kind of person who's an active member of PETA but must have leather seats in their car...

Is this different for you Brits? I wouldn't expect a car person to even bother with a Smart around here.

A humor article that sums up the Smart driver stereotype in the states

I've sent you a PM - I wrote a big reply to this but it's quite off-topic so I'll save posting it here :)

Back