BATracer Livery Competition (Comp #17)

• Thread starter XGT Taipan
  • 506 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit that for a while Sharky's entry was really convincing me for the win until some more entries came in. In the end the winner is......

.....:::::''''' XGT TAIPAN''''':::::.....
kmartreynardhondaee2.gif

Thanks Jef :)

New Comp...

87commodore.gif

87 VL Commodore

Guildlines: No sponsor limits.
Keep it within the time frame. That means it has to look like a late 80's low budget race car. Low budget also means very slim chance of big brand names... so go find yourself some local mechanics or car dealerships and use them. 👍

I made a very low budget race car :) :
holdenel4.png

can someone apply the shading layer if possible?

Awwww damnit Bert, I was gonna do a similar race used looks. lol

Shading layers for Group A cars are unavailable.

BTW TVRKing, Fosters, Valvoline and to some extent Lucas are big brand names. lol

I like this one better than the K-Mart one. :) It's simple, but it's clean, fits the theme (low budget :lol:) and I think it works OK. I'm not sure if my sponsors are obscure enough; unfortunately there was not an "obscure sponsor" list on Wikipedia so I went searching for whatever sponsors I figured I'd never see on a car and went with that. Enjoy!
chickfila80stc7.png

James, don't judge this yet. I won't have time to do my entry today because I've been travelling all day back to mother's house, and now watching England V Brazil, so I'll do my entry tomorrow after work when I have more time.

Final Entry

thiscarsuckskt8.gif

Sponsers
Penrite - Australian Lubricants manufacturer
Black Stump Restaurants - big in the 80's here
Ampol - Australian Petrol retailer from 80's
Repco - Australian Parts shops
Golden Circle - Australian Foods producer
Booran Holden - Holden dealer in Victoria

FINAL ENTRY

GrpAHoldenCompVersion.gif

Race worn and very local sponsors:

Insys: Defence contractor and company
Flitwick Motorcycles: Motorcycle Dealership
GPH: Entertainments company (that I do occasional part time work for) that hire out stuff like bouncy castles, bungee run, etc
Intellect Computers: Computer dealership near my dads place when I stay with him

intellect computers
Intellect Computers was founded in 1995 to supply the business and education markets throughout the UK
not really the right time frame :)
gph
GPH Entertainments is a privately owned family run company, founded in 2002 as Garden Party Hire.
same thing :)

and it's not to pick one you, i haven't checked the other entries on that.
Maybe it isn't really that important

I never actually said that you have to have all your sponsors from the 80's. Just that it's style has to be 80's. So no crazy expensive liveries like we see today. I was just trying to give an example of styling. Sorry if I made it seem otherwise.

Good entries so far. 👍

I will judge very soon.

Close call to judge this one. There were 3 entries that were always going to be big swingers for the final vote. MrHat, Sting and DustDriver.

MrHat: Very well thought out sponsors and very good quality logos.

Sting: Nice simple design, although the number 05 badge was a big downer, for obvious reasons. Attention to detailis key here, VL commodores had 271mm vented disc brakes on the front, while having 230mm self-adjusting leading trailing shoe drum's on the back. What does this mean? It means that you wouldn't see so much black soot on your rear rims, no matter how long it's been since you washed it.

DustDriver: Another great design, extremely cheap... although a little too cheap for my liking. I would love to see this car in a destruction derby, but very concerned if I was lined up beside it on a circuit race.

So, the winner is.... Howdy hoe...

thiscarsuckskt8.gif

MrHAT

DustDriver: Another great design, extremely cheap... although a little too cheap for my liking. I would love to see this car in a destruction derby, but very concerned if I was lined up beside it on a circuit race.

But that's like asking for a red car and saying it's too red.

Sting: Nice simple design, although the number 05 badge was a big downer, for obvious reasons. Attention to detailis key here, VL commodores had 271mm vented disc brakes on the front, while having 230mm self-adjusting leading trailing shoe drum's on the back. What does this mean? It means that you wouldn't see so much black soot on your rear rims, no matter how long it's been since you washed it.

Christ, I don't live in Australia and don't know what inner workings of a Holden so if you're gonna hang me up on that, whats the point?

And anyway, who says its brake dust? Rims get generally dirty you know.

Bah whatever, next round.

I didn't even think my entry would even be considered to be good :)
And i wanted to use australian sponsors, but i couldn't find many companies that existed in 1987
(yes, i did look at that :) ) and suited a cheap race car :)

Matt's car is too clean for the 80s, and yours is too dirty? I say wtf.

Huh? So they never washed cars in the 80's, ey Sharky? Or is that just a New Zealand thing?

Matt's car is extremely representative of a 1980's VL race car, the most of all the group. That's the main reason it won.

You can make your car dirty if you want... but I never asked for that. I just said a 'low budget' car, not a car that hasn't been looked after. 8)

lol yep you are never ever going to attract any sponser if you don't maintain your vehicle.

I will post the next comp shortly

Oooh. I'm guessing there's going to be quite a few entries with this one. :)

Edit - Are they allowed to do just 1, or can they do all three types?

Oh, yeah! I'm doing one... Dunno which MR2, but one of 'em. BTW, what actually happened to it? Why was it delayed?

I'll probably do an MkIII - more clear surface...

I thought this one would be a popular one

You can do more if you so choose, but only 1 will be officially judged upon

Gingiba

It was delayed due to several things..Jules had something going on outside batracer that kept him busy and also the multi problems have not helped

Ah, so technically it's simple to implement it - no new rules or anything, just 6 cars in 2 classes?

Damn, I wanted one with "Osaka Seafood Concern" from The Simpsons, but I can't find the logo they show there. Here's the song that comes with it:

"Knife-a goes in
Guts-a come out
That's what Osaka Seafood Concern is all about!"

I'll do "Mr. Sparkle" instead:

20050919_fig1.jpg

lol that should prove interesting.... but i hate to point this out but Mr Sparkle isn't a Japanese company...well at least not that i know of.

this is one i just whipped up in a moment of boredom

mrsgt300konamick8.gif

mrsgt300konamishiv4.gif

i might have to give the shading layers a bit of a tweek going by that car

going to pick one of these, don't know yet which one

Final entry
mr23wy7.png

mr22gs0.png

Yes, it looks a little odd.

Mr. Sparkle was on a Japanese commercial the Simpsons saw on TV, whose logo looked like Homer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back