Joey's Cooper Thread; Suspension Thoughts

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lame...

:D

I like your choices of those small details. It's one of the nicer MINIs I've seen. It certainly looks sportier than the blue one in the corner.

Joey, get yourself some Eight Spokes ASAP.

http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/underpage/color.htm

Those look very original Cooper-ish and I love em. They are a bit expensive though, $450 a piece maybe more plus shipping. I'd be looking at close to $3000 with rims and tires. Maybe if I come into some money. But I do agree those would look awesome.

Lame...

:D

I like your choices of those small details. It's one of the nicer MINIs I've seen. It certainly looks sportier than the blue one in the corner.

Cool thank 👍!

I almost got a blue one but I'm glad I didn't, seeing the colour in person I can't say I really liked it all that much. The good thing is that there aren't a ton of sparkling silver ones in the area so I'm somewhat different.

Those look very original Cooper-ish and I love em. They are a bit expensive though, $450 a piece maybe more plus shipping. I'd be looking at close to $3000 with rims and tires. Maybe if I come into some money. But I do agree those would look awesome.

Racing Service Watanabe at your service. 1 piece aluminum = ftw.

edit: Today is your lucky day.

I found these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...ryZ43956QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
on ebay. 600 bucks for a set of 4 without tires. They look like they would match your car very well-- just don't know if they'd fit.

If gold is your thing, someone is also selling these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wata...ryZ43954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Most sets go for like 400-700 on ebay, though. 450 each is, like you said, pretty ridiculous.

These are pretty spiff for your car Joey.

collar7.jpg

You lucky EWillis, you.... 👍

Very jealous, and a very good choice of motor! :D

Biiiiiiig.

I mean, congratulations Joey! Very unique - I haven't seen many hardtops in that colour, and none even remotely similar to yours.

That’s a really cool color scheme that I’ve never seen before. I still think you should’ve gone with stripper pink though. :P

And I, for one, sort of like the wheels.

Congrats on the new car, Joey.

While out driving I found this sport button which holds the RPM's higher for faster...uhh whatever higher RPM's make faster. I was able to gun it and get the engine up to about 7,000.
Are you not supposed to run it gently, staying below 3000rpm or so, for a few hundred miles?

I agree with the colour being uncommon - quite subtle. Most are chosen with rather loud colours like that blue one in the first picture. It looks alright. 👍

Congrats!

^ I'm with daan on the running in, but articles I've read in evo magazine in the past said there is little need to do so nowadays due to the quality of engine building now. I would do so anyway if it is recommended though.

The S models do come with 6 speed auto's now, but I couldn't afford the insurance on onw of them. The car did end up going in my name, which is no big deal, but that made the insurance about $1400 a year. If I would have gotten the S the insurance people quoted me at $2200...yikes!

Yes I dislike the wheels, but these are better then the others I could have got. I do have plans for new summer wheels and tires and keeping these rims around for winter tires. I don't want to go huge 15's or 16's will pretty much do it and ideally I would like some that are somewhat light weight. I don't know what type of tires I want on it yet, I need to do some shopping around.

Joey, get yourself some Eight Spokes ASAP.

http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/underpage/color.htm
Although Watanabe wheels are great looking, especially when in a low offset like my friend's Miata, they aren't very light. Pretty heavy actually, but they will withstand a lot of abuse.

I say go my route with Enkei rpf1's. 9lb per wheel is pretty awesome, especially when they cost around 200 bucks a wheel.

EDIT: Like this, but with a different color and size. (17's and gunmetal FTL!)

Looks great Joey. I absolutely love the interior of those cars. 👍
Any performance or appearance upgrades in the near future? I know you too well to leave that car alone. I would say wheels would be a great first investment. Black wheels would be perfect on that car. Maybe even black wheels with a polished aluminum lip.

I'd say go for some Minilites. Try and see if theres a "MINI" center cap available for them so it looks cleaner. :)

Congrats! Very nice car man. I love the color of it and the speed-o. How much gas mileage are you getting with it?

If you keep the wheel size down, you actually help performance.
Bigger wheels=Heavier wheels, which = slower acceleration and longer stopping distances.
One of the Cooper "Gurus" recommended keeping the wheel size to 16" or below, because the 17's actually drop nearly a full second off the 0-100Km time.

Oh, and bigger tires with lower profiles make it that much easier to do serious damage to a very expensive wheel.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I took the car for a nice long country drive today and it was amazing, but what was more amazing was this place I cam across for pictures.

PB150291.jpg

PB150288.jpg

Right now the computer says 26.3 MPG and that's almost all city driving. I haven't really punched it at all and the only reason I did it last night was because it was new and exciting. I'm not going to push the car now for a little while, especially with winter upon me.

The biggest I'll go on rims is 16's but I prefer 15's mainly, like many of you said, because of the weight. I really do like black rims and I'm thinking that will pull everything together nicely. I think I'm going to get a black mesh grille for the car as well.

Your pictures do show that Michigan can, at times, be somewhat beautiful in our six-month winter season...

Schweet!

Well as I was taking pictures it went from sunny to blacker then black and sleeting. When our forecast says partly cloudy it means partly cloudy :lol:.

I hate when taking pics in dirt, the sides of the tires get dirty, and you have to take corners at crazy speeds to scrape it off. It's annoying when they rest of your car is clean.

But yes, get a black mesh grill, and some 15's.

Taking corners at crazy speeds? Doesn't sound like an issue for me :D.

As I've said in previous threads, I personally do not like shifting my car. I do to many other things while driving to have to worry about selecting the right gear and what not. I'm not looking for a race car.

Taking corners at crazy speeds? Doesn't sound like an issue for me :D.
You know your car couldn't touch mine in the corners, unless you do end up getting tires and whatnot. But unless it's this month or so, I'll have a full suspension, flywheel, brake, and clutch upgrade by that time.

I'm not sure what you have done to your car so I can't really comment on that. Also I haven't pushed the car yet and I don't really think I'm going to do it any time soon. I take corners a bit faster than I did with the Blazer, but the Cooper is actually built for it. I'm a bit afraid to push the car and end up in a tree, the insurance company would tell me to go to hell or something.

I guess I have stability control too, there's a button to turn it off on the console but I haven't bothered with that yet.

I'm not sure what you have done to your car so I can't really comment on that. Also I haven't pushed the car yet and I don't really think I'm going to do it any time soon. I take corners a bit faster than I did with the Blazer, but the Cooper is actually built for it. I'm a bit afraid to push the car and end up in a tree, the insurance company would tell me to go to hell or something.

I guess I have stability control too, there's a button to turn it off on the console but I haven't bothered with that yet.
I just have wheels and tires, but they are way better than your stock ones.

And it would probably be a good idea to take it easy for a while, your insurance company really would kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back