Joey's Cooper Thread; Suspension Thoughts

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice pics. I guess Michigan can look pretty slick from time to time. Now put a mountain behind it..... Yeah.:sly:

And I would recommend 16s. They will look better, be faster and probably give you a better ride. Although what you have will be an awesome winter wheel.

I'm not sure what you have done to your car so I can't really comment on that. Also I haven't pushed the car yet and I don't really think I'm going to do it any time soon. I take corners a bit faster than I did with the Blazer, but the Cooper is actually built for it. I'm a bit afraid to push the car and end up in a tree, the insurance company would tell me to go to hell or something.

I guess I have stability control too, there's a button to turn it off on the console but I haven't bothered with that yet.

I just kinda started driving my car faster and faster. I have reached the limit of my car on one or two occasions, welcomed by a giant lurch when traction control steps in. And when you push your car a little at a time, it is more fun in the long run anyway.

Ya I think the stock tires on the Cooper are run flats...something I'm not overly thrilled about.

I'm not sure what you have done to your car so I can't really comment on that. Also I haven't pushed the car yet and I don't really think I'm going to do it any time soon. I take corners a bit faster than I did with the Blazer, but the Cooper is actually built for it. I'm a bit afraid to push the car and end up in a tree, the insurance company would tell me to go to hell or something.

I guess I have stability control too, there's a button to turn it off on the console but I haven't bothered with that yet.

I think he has a MKV GTI. :) Don't crash your MINI please. :) Still, I must say again; nice car. 👍

As I've said in previous threads, I personally do not like shifting my car. I do to many other things while driving to have to worry about selecting the right gear and what not. I'm not looking for a race car.

thats friggin weak. minis are fun to drive, and with a manual, your constantly be in the power band

power band = the win

thats friggin weak. minis are fun to drive, and with a manual, youd constantly be in the power band

power band = the win

Wait a minute... Are you s13driftin?

Let's not flame Mr. Donaldson for getting an auto. He's explained why he doesn't want to deal with a manual everyday, and let's leave it at that. A car can be just as fun to drive with an auto as a car with a manual. It all depends on the perspective of the person driving it. His money, his choice. I think you can deal with it.

I think American racing makes a wheel called the silverstone. They look just like watanabes, and are probably cheaper.

Wait a minute... Are you s13driftin?

Let's not flame Mr. Donaldson for getting an auto. He's explained why he doesn't want to deal with a manual everyday, and let's leave it at that. A car can be just as fun to drive with an auto as a car with a manual. It all depends on the perspective of the person driving it. His money, his choice. I think you can deal with it.

I think American racing makes a wheel called the silverstone. They look just like watanabes, and are probably cheaper.
There's also Konig Rewinds, which are probably even cheaper than the ones you mentioned.

You get what you pay for though.

You do indeed get what you pay for, but American Racing has really durable stuff. All of the knockoffs of theirs retain the durability of their products as well. I'm not saying that Watanabes are a knockoff or anything like that, by the way. Plus, shipping might not be as bad if he buys Americans.

You do indeed get what you pay for, but American Racing has really durable stuff. All of the knockoffs of theirs retain the durability of their products as well. I'm not saying that Watanabes are a knockoff or anything like that, by the way. Plus, shipping might not be as bad if he buys Americans.
Lots of times companies will have free shipping on orders over $500 or something like that. My wheels were shipped from Japan for free.

Oh, that's cool! I was looking up the WALD bodykit for a W124 TE, (:drool:) and shipping is 400 bucks. Maybe it's because of bulk. I'd imagine shipping for a set of wheels would be somewhat pricey if he has to pay for it himself.

Both the Minilite and the Konig Rewinds look good as well, I think I would like them either in black with a polished lip or graphite. Either way I think they would look awesome on the car. After talking with some Cooper guys they told me stick with 15's if I want to keep performance in the car. And yes American Racing makes a set of wheels called Silverstone Teflon's, they do look about the same.

The first "mod" I'm going to do is put a GB license plate on the front of the car, I just need to figure out the mounting and what not. Anyone got a euro plate on their car?

As far as the auto is concerned the car stays in the power band quite nicely since it is a 6 speed and can shift more to keep the power up. The car feels more then sporty enough for me and that is all that matters.

British car. A lot of other people do it and I think it looks pretty cool. Plus I've always wanted a euro plate on a car.

Very nice car. I like the mini a lot. I read this thread and must have missed where you said what motor (engine) it has.

1.6L N/A I4, puts out 118hp. I believe they are made by Peugeot or something.

The first "mod" I'm going to do is put a GB license plate on the front of the car, I just need to figure out the mounting and what not. Anyone got a euro plate on their car?

How about contacting BMW/Mini GB (or a GB Mini dealer) and try to get them to supply you with a UK licence plate mounting kit?

That, sir, is a brilliant idea, I didn't even think of that. If they won't do it for me maybe I can find one on eBay which seems to have everything under the sun.

Oh, that's cool! I was looking up the WALD bodykit for a W124 TE, (:drool:) and shipping is 400 bucks. Maybe it's because of bulk. I'd imagine shipping for a set of wheels would be somewhat pricey if he has to pay for it himself.

I know this is OT but you sound just like my friend... all he does at work is look at bodykits for his 95 E320 and then he calls me to complain how expensive they are:yuck: I keep mentioning how happy he'll be the first time he pulls too far forward in a parking space

When I first bought the Jetta there was an EU/Deutschland plate on the front, oddly enough, mounted directly into the front of the bumper with a drill.

Don't do that.

I'm sure MINI has a kit for the front, it only makes sense. I see them with those front plates all the time.

...Which reminds me, I want one for the front of my car. A "TOPGEAR" UK plate? Yes please!

MINI and VW are the two most likely companies I can think of that would offer mounting kits for front plates. I think I would be a little disappointed if they didn't. And I'm sure they would be happy to ship one over for you. It's not like they don't sell any in the UK with UK plates.

I have to go back to the dealership on Tuesday, they scratched my bumper putting on the rally light and they are going to fix it so I will ask them.

Fantastic car Joey. I've never seen those wheels or color on one before, and I like them both a lot. Really well done - a huge step up! 👍

So I just filled it up after driving 321 city miles today. Working out the fuel economy I got 27.76mpg which isn't bad considering I've been on it a couple times and really haven't been driving it like I probably normally will in the future. It's about a 10mpg increase over the Blazer.

That's pretty impressive. Looks like this car will be saving you quite a bit on gas. And I wouldn't be too surprised if you still stepped on it every so often. Of course, I went from 17 to 25 mpg in my first month of owning my car, so you will probably see a bit of an increase. And you don't have hills out there and you said you do a lot o highway driving, don't you?

Typically I do quite a bit of highways driving but since Wednesday I've been taking back roads to work, which takes longer but is more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back