Joey's Cooper Thread; Suspension Thoughts

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keira? For the MINI?

...I guess its better than "Jenna" for the Jetta...

Well the car is built in Oxford, well Cowley. I saw the plant when I was there. It might be owned by a German company, but calling a Mini German is like saying Holden is American.

As he does hold the papers he gets to name the girl.:D
Kiera is a bit svelte, and the mini a bit more "curvy" though.
But please, I've named six kids and a number of cars, I have no good or original advice on that subject.:lol:

So, they gave you a convertible at the start of the cold season, in Michigan?
You might have to slap somone.

As for national identity, you might check where the engines for the new MINI's have been sourced. Company, not Country.

Well if you look at the engines that would make the car French, or possibly Brazilian since that is where they are made. So I have a British car, owned by a German company with a French engine coming from a former Portuguese colony and it's being driven in America. I guess World War II really did straighten everything out :lol:.

As for the name, that's what everyone told me would fit the car and I sort of agreed, but after seeing how other Cooper owners have named their cars I might reconsider. Keira is just a temporary name.

I have no idea why I got a Cooper convertible, but it's better then nothing I guess. The only thing I'm worried about is the tires, they appear to be summer only and we are due to get some snow tonight. Although I do want to drive around with my Santa hat on and the top down.

I picked up my car from the dealer today, the bumper is all fixed. Probably one of the fastest body shops I've experienced. When I had my Blazer out for repainting of the hood it took them about 10 days to do it. These guys did it in a day and a half if you do not count the holiday.

Anyways while shopping today I was parked at a local mall and came out to find an F-350 parked next to me and it really hit me how small the car is. The Mini is 145" long, one of the smallest cars sold in America today. I snapped some photos from comparison.

PB230368.jpg

PB230367.jpg

Oh and just for fun last night me and my buddy drove around with the top off on the loaner car. Yes it was snowing and according to the Mini's on-board computer the temperature was 25 degrees Fahrenheit. It wasn't that bad actually with the heat going full blast and the ass warmers going in the seats. The real reason I did it though was to see how well the top worked. First off it retracted faster then I thought it would even with it being pretty cold and a bit snowy (I did clear it off before retracting it). Secondly Mini put the top in the worst place ever because with the top retracted it put it right in the rear view mirror. There probably are better convertibles out there, but seeing as I really haven't driven many I can't really say to much. I hope the redesigned ones that are hitting in the 2009 model year have a folding hard top.

PB230355.jpg

Anyways while shopping today I was parked at a local mall and came out to find an F-350 parked next to me and it really hit me how small the car is. The Mini is 145" long, one of the smallest cars sold in America today. I snapped some photos from comparison.
I think the "small car" thing will grow on you. I hate driving anything bigger than a 4 door sedan because I can't zip through traffic and fit into tight spots like I can with my car.

I picked up my car from the dealer today, the bumper is all fixed. Probably one of the fastest body shops I've experienced. When I had my Blazer out for repainting of the hood it took them about 10 days to do it. These guys did it in a day and a half if you do not count the holiday.
Actually it took them approximately 5 minutes to remove the bumper, 15-20 to tape it up, ~10 to mix the paint and clean the gun, about 5 minutes per coat with like 10 minutes of tack time in between, and if they didn't use a different gun for the clear it took them about 10 minutes to clean the gun perfectly and another 5-10 to mix the clear, about 5 per coat (probably only one) and then they baked it in the booth at about 120 degrees and it dried within 3 hours. They let it cool for an hour or so with the fan on, and mounted it back on the car in about 10 minutes.

So that's about 5 hours and thirty minutes. Mostly drying time.

EDIT: I agree with PB. Small = awesome. It even fared well against a PT Cruiser!

I think the "small car" thing will grow on you. I hate driving anything bigger than a 4 door sedan because I can't zip through traffic and fit into tight spots like I can with my car.

I hate driving my mom's Pacifica now, it just seems way oversized.

Actually it took them approximately 5 minutes to remove the bumper, 15-20 to tape it up, ~10 to mix the paint and clean the gun, about 5 minutes per coat with like 10 minutes of tack time in between, and if they didn't use a different gun for the clear it took them about 10 minutes to clean the gun perfectly and another 5-10 to mix the clear, about 5 per coat (probably only one) and then they baked it in the booth at about 120 degrees and it dried within 3 hours. They let it cool for an hour or so with the fan on, and mounted it back on the car in about 10 minutes.

So that's about 5 hours and thirty minutes. Mostly drying time.

Oh I know painting doesn't take long, but typically dealerships are worried about everything expect servicing people's cars. I thought it would at least just sit there until the beginning of next week.

You're right about them letting cars sit. Up the hill at Castrucci's (which is a big dealer with Mazda, Honda, Nissan, and two used lots) they have cars all over the place. The body shop isn't too bad though. Big damage for "normal" customers can take weeks or even months depending on the insurance situation. When I had my sign mishap they hooked me up within 2 days and even gave parts a free buffing because my buddy works there.

Ya I figured this wasn't normal, but I think since they were the ones that messed the bumper up they felt like they should probably get it done quickly.

In other news, after a long discussion with some friends, we've decided Keira is a dumb name for the car because it does not have sexy lines...I tend to agree. I've been told it looks more like a guy then a gal. So I'm looking for suggestions, I'm thinking Gawain since during the summer the car is off to slay the Dragon.

Keira doesn't have sexy lines either. As women go, straight lines aren't sexy lines.

You wanna meet up to go slaying? My next car will be raring to go. You might need those summer tires and some bravery though...

Keira doesn't have sexy lines either. As women go, straight lines aren't sexy lines.

You wanna meet up to go slaying? My next car will be raring to go. You might need those summer tires and some bravery though...

I don't know when I'm planning on heading down there but I'll let you know. I don't know how good I'll be though, I suck at driving.

Joey, would you ever want to go smaller? (like smart or a Fiat 500?)

Around here, no. I think any smaller and I would get run over by some dumbass in an H2 or Dodge Ram thinking they are God.

You don't have to race it. That's just what I like to do. The road is fun and easily driven, and cruising swiftly is plenty satisfying. The first few times I went down the road I wasn't going all that fast, but I was just amazed at how awesome the corners are and how technical the road is. It's just a fantastic drive or ride at any speed. Plus, you gotta get a sticker or license plate surround to show off what your car is made of. :sly:

Very true. I know my buddies have been dying to go down there. My best friend with the Firebird Formula has been doing all sorts of stuff to make the car good in the corners (big, slotted rotors, better pads, bunch of suspension stuff, and he's getting some tires). I know so far if we were to go there would be the Cooper, Formula, Scion tC, Ion Redline, Taurus SHO, and a Neon ACR.

That sounds like quite the interesting bunch of cars. đź‘Ť Someday there should be a GTP meet at the Dragon.

I don't mean to rip on you or your car, but the regular mini is possibly the biggest gutless wonder I have driven. At work I had to wash one and when I got done I backed out of our wash bay and put it into drive and gave it what I though should be enough throttle to break the tires loose. Mind you this is from a dead stop at idle. Nothing, so then I think thats odd so I try it again this time as soon as I let off of the breaks I floor it...it just slowly took off. I don't know what the power band its on those and I think that it had a CVT so that might have been the problem. Its just that I would have gone for the Mini Cooper S. But thats just my opinion so it doesn't mean much.... :)

There isn't anything wrong with small. I'd personally consider the Jetta to be about "perfect" when it comes to size and maneuverability overall, and its usually a pretty dramatic change when I have to borrow the Grand Prix or the Camry (should anything happen to my car). Although I'd say the change to the Town Car when in Florida has to have been the most dramatic (not considering my drives in Dad's Avalanche or Grandpa's new '07 Yukon), and it really did make me miss the car at home.

If I do end up replacing the Jetta with a GTI, I doubt the change will be too great overall...

I don't mean to rip on you or your car, but the regular mini is possibly the biggest gutless wonder I have driven. At work I had to wash one and when I got done I backed out of our wash bay and put it into drive and gave it what I though should be enough throttle to break the tires loose. Mind you this is from a dead stop at idle. Nothing, so then I think thats odd so I try it again this time as soon as I let off of the breaks I floor it...it just slowly took off. I don't know what the power band its on those and I think that it had a CVT so that might have been the problem. Its just that I would have gone for the Mini Cooper S. But thats just my opinion so it doesn't mean much.... :)

That was the R50 Mini, I have an R56 that actually has a 6 speed in it. I do agree the R50's were rather underpowered or at least geared incorrectly. I hate CVT's as I think they ruin cars.

There isn't anything wrong with small. I'd personally consider the Jetta to be about "perfect" when it comes to size and maneuverability overall, and its usually a pretty dramatic change when I have to borrow the Grand Prix or the Camry (should anything happen to my car). Although I'd say the change to the Town Car when in Florida has to have been the most dramatic (not considering my drives in Dad's Avalanche or Grandpa's new '07 Yukon), and it really did make me miss the car at home.

If I do end up replacing the Jetta with a GTI, I doubt the change will be too great overall...

The Jetta, past and present, is probably one of the better cars I've been in. I thought about getting one but they are pricey and for some reason has high insurance. After driving one it felt better then the Rabbit, which is odd since they are very similar.

well now theres just no need :)

So Joey, how does the Mini stack up against the Blazer in every way that matters to you, have you found yourself missing the space yet? (I still miss the van sometimes until I take a corner in my car:))

The Cooper is way better then the Blazer was, but I'd be worried if a 5 year newer car was worse. It gets awesome fuel mileage, I'm averaging about 30 mpg in the city right now, but today starts my highway driving so I'll see how that all works out. There is quite a bit of space to be honest. The Blazer was bigger but it didn't use it's space very well at all making the truck useless at time to carry loads. While I love my Cooper, I do miss the Blazer, that thing took it like a champ all the year I owned it. I'm still hoping to find it on a used car lot but I'm guessing it went south. I still have the VIN number so I might run a Carfax on it in a few months.

When you get 30mpg in the city, I'm going to assume that's going to work or school or wherever it is you go, does your route involve at least 1 main road of speeds like ~50mph?

I've been getting about 30mpg in my Lancer too. Back when it was sunny and not snowing outside (so about up until 3 weeks ago), on the days I drove more "sensible", I'd get about 7.3L/100km, so about 32 "US" MPG. Nowadays with the snow and me using the heater a lot, I probably get about 28 MPG on my daily route with not so-sensible driving.

It's going to work then to school, pretty much 45mph the entire way with only two lights I have to turn at. I have all the other lights timed to keep my stopping and starting to a minimum.

smallest freakin car that i can fit in.
here's basically what i look like:
6'4"
275 lbs.(i know, i'm 15 and fatter than my friend George)
Look like a guy from the military crossed with a redneck, and a fire alarm geek... yeah, whatever...

sorry if this seems like a spam post, it isn't, i just don't think much, just type out loud(isn't that a slogan?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back