Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
N4HS: Problem!! PROBLEM!!!

The GNX does NOT have a 3800. It has a 3.8. Big difference, (3.8 Series 2, IIRC) the 3800 is FWD-only and was put into production in 1989.

My RWD Holden Ute has 3800 written on the engine, I'm pretty sure they're all esentially the same engine.

Edit: Might I remind people that plan on entering, the first 2 categories are closing on Jan 26, that's only a few days away.

Sorry man, but it's NOT a 3800. It's a 3.8l, which has no balance shaft.

Holden may have marketed it as a 3800 (and indeed the 3800 will bolt up to certain 700-4R bellhousings, which is a RWD tranny), but I doubt that it is a true 3800, as was sold in the states.

Same engine still really isn't it though. I think mine has a balance shaft but it can be removed if you do all this other stuff. Anyway, back to Vintage Tuner Cup.

After looking in Wikipedia, I found that the series 2 3800 is what in Australia was called the Ecotec V6, used right up until the VY, the series 1 3800 is in my car, and before that (never used in a Commodore) was the 3.8L

VS used Ecotec as well, and series 1 3800 was in VN-VR according to wikipedia

Edit: Any further on this take it to Aussie Rides in Car Tuning and Settings, this is the Vintage Tuner Cup, and I'm getting more confident in my cars all the time. Hopefully I can do better than last time :nervous:

I just realised, I haven't told yet I'm not participating in this contest. School and work take away too much time at the moment, so I hope you guys don't mind.

About the Judging, I don't know yet. I might/might not.

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry; 1964-1972

KC Motorsport Toyota 2000GTO Shelby Special
Purchaseable; Toyota Classics Dealer

IMG0022.jpg

IMG0018.jpg

289 bhp@6600rpm
227 ft.lb@5000rpm
985kg / 3.450 WPR

KC Motorsport introduces its very first one-off vehicle, specifically built for Historic GT and Classic Endurance racing - the Toyota 2000GTO Shelby Special.

The 2000GT was a collaboration between Toyota and Yamaha based closely on designs originally pitched to Nissan by German designer Albrecht Goertz. This particular chassis has one of the most fascinating provenances of any car we've ever purchased. It began life as a Toyota factory-built racer that finished third in 1966 Japanese Grand Prix and won the 24 Hours of Fuji in 1967. It went on to an astonishing showing in FIA 72-Hour endurance trials, setting so many records that Porsche engineers felt compelled to build a one-off 911R just to break these records. Shortly after its sweeping success at FIA however, it was involved in a disastrous crash with a pace car, and was reported scrapped by Toyota. At the same time, across the Pacific, Carroll Shelby decided to buy a group of 2000GT's to compete in the 1968 SCCA Class CP season. Toyota officially reported that three models were sold to Shelby straight from the factory. Recently though, our buyer had dinner with the motorsports legend, who confided in him that Toyota sold him FOUR cars, the fourth being the wrecked carcass of the FIA record-setter, which he still owned. Our buyer expressed strong interest in the car, and after promising Shelby that the car would see active competition, managed to get him off of it - under the promise that Shelby himself would have a hand in its rebuild.

We were more than glad to oblige. Upon the chassis's arrival, we found much to our delight that it came with the Holy Grail in 2000GT circles - the ultra-rare Yamaha-massaged MF12 2.3L 2M inline-6 motor. It's reported that only 9 of the 351 2000GT's produced between 1967 and 1970 used the 2M motor, the rest running on the 2.0L 3M inline-6. Due to the car's race-prepped nature, our work consisted primarily of rebuilding the motor to include fuel injection, an extreme cam profile, and revitalizing the suspension. We repainted it from white race livery to factory red, added a modern aero kit and lightweight alloys, and called it a day.

The 2000GTO SS is a devastating historic racer. Its perfect suspension balance and mild oversteer attitude would make it feel right at home in the Mille Miglia or the Targa Florio. 289 horses are channeled through a period-correct Shelby-built 5-speed gearbox. It sits on a fully independent double-wishbone suspension with sway bars both front and rear, and carves through the corners with aplomb thanks to a modern viscous coupled limited-slip differential set tight enough to keep total control in a race, but loose enough to overwhelm and initiate drift when the mood strikes.

Driving it is a sublime experience. It's just playful enough in the rear to thrill its driver, but controlled enough to go door-to-door with any car of its time, and most any car of today. Though a quirk of the stock chassis is a late-onset transition to understeer in sustained sweepers, in our tune understeer is very rarely an issue with appropriate throttle control, and if it does become a problem, give the car a quick brake flick and it'll willingly transition into gentle oversteer rotation. Its driveable anywhere, from the smooth surfaces of its old stomping grounds at Fuji, to the undulating hills at the Nordschleife. Treat it well, and it will reward you. Treat it badly, and it should even forgive you!

---------
Parts List
---------

RC Exhaust
Racing Brakes, BBC
Stage 3 NA Tuning, Port Polish, Engine Balancing, Racing Chip
FC Transmission, Triple-Plated Clutch, RC Flywheel, FC LSD, Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
Stage 3 Weight Reduction, NO Rigidity Increase
S3 Tires
Wing
Oil Change

--------
Settings
--------

BBC: 6/6

Spring Rates: 4.5/4.2
Ride Height: 125/140
Damper (Bound): 4/2
Damper (Rebound): 6/6
Camber: 2.8/2.0
Toe: 2/0
Stabilizers: 2/3

Downforce: 30/20
Differential: 5/15/5

Ballast Weight: 0
Ballast Location: -30

Gearing: First, perform the transmission trick - max out the final drive ratio, then set the autoset to 25, then back to 1.

After doing this, adjust the final drive ratio to 3.710 for a good balance for most tracks. Adjust ONLY the final drive ratio as needed to alter top speed. I wouldn't go lower than 3.450 - this is well into the redline but not at the limiter at the end of the backstraight at the Nurburgring.

Holdenboy, my 1600GT's molesting the Isuzu on times, don't worry about it's bigger brother. :lol:

What the? Are you talking about the same 1600GT Celica you entered already? Your time at GVS with that car was in the 2'09s according to your post, and mine is in the 2'08s :P :sly: Now who's laughing, but I think I have more power, 230hp vs 154kw I think yours had, that's like what, 210ish hp.

Edit: What's the bigger brother? If it's an '80s Celica then you have my GNX to compete with, one of the biggest turn arounds in handling and general performance in all history, judges should note that when they test it I believe as it's one of the criteria for judging, not to mention it's running roughly 2min lap times on the dot which isn't terribly slow on sports tyres. It's even quite a fun drive, almost pleasurable- you can really step out the arse end of this car and smoke 'em up no worries, or you can drive it properly. ;) I wouldn't be surprised if the GNX dropped more than 5sec off its default settings lap time. I wish I knew what that lap time was now, but I can't remember, oh well.

ah, that reminds me; I'm updating the 2000GT-S setup. I was first going to enter it, but then decided to go for the often neglected and forgotten Fairlady 2000. it'll be done later this week.

ah, that reminds me; I'm updating the 2000GT-S setup. I was first going to enter it, but then decided to go for the often neglected and forgotten Fairlady 2000. it'll be done later this week.

Probably updating the 2000GTO settings as well before the 26th... playing with some different combinations of suspension, downforce and differential to try to solve some weight transfer issues in long constant-radius sweepers.

Still good in game, and judges can't mark down that- BURN :sly:

Edit: Just realised, when I say burn there, it's off That 70's Show, it means shut down or whatever you like to call it, not a literal burning with flame.

LOL you guys get That 70's Show over there? Nice. Always liked "the circle" ... reminds me of undergrad ... :sly:

On another note, THREE DAYS LEFT! Any last-minute entrants better get to wrenchin'!

I wreckon, anyone else out there plan on entering their cars, now's the time. I may get a default podium finish regardless of how good my cars are at this rate- nah I'm just kidding, I'll get first the normal way.:sly:

PS- Fez is funny as- wierd, but funny.

I've just gone back through to record the page numbers of all the entries for later, and it turns out there's more than I remembered.

Looks like 5 in Pre-64, and 7 in 64-72. Not bad so far!

What really? 7 in the 64-72? So there's 5 I can think of, AT and MFT members, and mafia boy, who are the other 2?

I didn't know nissan_tuner had entered, good on ya.👍 I suspected GT40MKII, who for some domb reason I keep getting mixed up with mustangGT90210, sorry guys- ever since I left school my memory went shotty :sly:

Quick note, anyone planning to judge might want to browse back through the entries to see which cars you don't have that might take some effort to win. One in particular is the prize for the '1000 Miles' so if you need to B-spec it, do it soon ;)

Here are the pages that contain entries:

77, 79, 84-88

Back