Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
Unfortunately, I'm by far too slow to do anything like that.

I can tune, but that is most likely a direct product of my horrid driving; if the car understeers excessively or has snap oversteer, I can't drive it.

I didn't judge with any sort of bias; I drove each car equally (two hotlaps), and derived my results purely from that. Oh well.

The classics challenge will be a good thing, methinks. And I will keep away from judging, since any results I come up with that rank an RCV car above an MFT or AT car will be seen as being biased.

~Kyle

EDIT: The above aimed at Greycap

I'm willing to bet that the FF reluctancy may have been because you probably had your own fingerprint on Vince's car - you knew its characteristics extremely well and defended it like your own work when it got bad grades.

The cooper was like a Co-op, so it's quite true. RJ did the tweaking in certain areas, so he should earn at least some credit for it.

I didn't judge in the previous challenge even though I had the chance - I could have won the AWD category easily by doing that and pushed you off the podium in the RWD category but I didn't want to do it. It wouldn't have felt right to me.

Thanks Grey, I think I'm speaking for the whole RCV crew if I say that 'the Finns' are honest and good people, as a ex-colleague of us quite didn't understand...

And the "brand recognition" is the true reason to why I've never been too eager to have a tuner battle between our garages. As both garages have some kind of a fanbase I've been afraid that it would turn out to be more of a "I like these guys, I'll rate them higher" contest than a pure tuning contest and that would serve nobody. The latter one would be best implemented as a battle in which we'd decide technical guidelines for cars, tune them and race them. With the tuners behind the wheel. It would be just about the only way to get results in which opinions and bias would mean nothing as the car would be driven by the one whose driving style it was made for. If there'll ever be a contest like that, I'm in.

Me to.

And about the 'subjective judgeships', I think it's quite clear we have different driving styles, so a tune made perfect for you could work bad for me.
And I hope you don't mind, in the TCV2 if there was a tie between a MFT tune or an other tune I gave the other the higher score. That has one reason: you guys have some years under the belt with tuning in GT4, so the less experienced tuner got the preferation. I hope you understand, this just seemed fair to me.
I don't think you guys would need a TC to prove your level of skill, anyway.

I would like to make one thing very clear - it's fine and beneficial to have someone test drive your challenge car and offer general criticism and suggestions as Greycap and Leo do, but these are NOT collaborative entries. Your entry should be yours, and YOURS ALONE. The spirit of this competition is to test the skill of single tuners, not grouped bodies of tuners.

Vintage Tuner Cup 1964-1972 entry

nissan 240ZG (HS30) '71 (Club "Z" nissan race event prize)

L6: SOHC
2393cc
283HP/5600rpm
269.21ft.lb/4000rpm

1/4 mile : 13.509
top speed : 171MPH

:: parts to buy::

sports exhaust

racing brakes

brake controller

port polish

enging balancing

NA tuning stage 3

triple-plate clutch

racing flywheel

limited-slip: full customize

carbon driveshaft

suspension:full customize

S3 sport tires

weight reduction: stage 1

Increase Rigidity

new oil

::setup::

suspention:

Spring Rate - 5.5/5.0
Ride Height - 130/130
Damper Bound - 8/7
Damper Rebound - 8/9
Camber Rate - 2.7/1.7
Toe Angle - 1/-1
Stabilizers - 4/4

Limited-slip:

initial torque - 20
accel - 50
decel - 30

Brake Balance:

front: 4
rear: 3

(dont floor it while taking a corner in 2nd gear, the tiniest bit of throttle control will be enough to avoid wheel spin)

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry - 1963 and Earlier

Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63

222 bhp, 241 Nm, 864 kg, 3.894 kg/bhp

The prize car of the 1000Miles! race.

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.0 / 3.5
Ride Height: 105 / 110
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 1.5 / 1.5
Toe: 1 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 5

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.604
2nd: 1.852
3rd: 1.446
4th: 1.193
5th: 1.011
6th: 0.868
Final Gear: 4.500

Autoset 8

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 25
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

I've never liked the modern Alfa Romeos too much in this game but the old ones have a certain appeal to them. The base car of today is the highly aerodynamic Giulia Sprint Speciale with its small but characterful 1600cc engine. It doesn't take that much of a professional to drive it but some skill is still needed to get the best out of the car. The gearing is short and the car tops out at around 230 km/h, if you want more top speed touch the final ratio only.

"Control lap times" for those who want them:

1'25,5xx on Autumn Ring
2'06,7xx on Grand Valley Speedway

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry - 1964-1972

Lotus Europa Special '71

232 bhp, 260 Nm, 664 kg, 2.860 kg/bhp

The prize car of the British Light Weight Car Race.

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.0 / 5.0
Ride Height: 130 / 140
Bound: 3 / 4
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 2 / 0
Stabilizers: 2 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.818
2nd: 1.916
3rd: 1.472
4th: 1.193
5th: 1.005
Final Gear: 3.300

Autoset 8

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 10

Downforce
Amount: 25 / 30

Driving Aids

Formula 1 car for the street. That's what the Europa was described to be when it debuted in the late sixties and that's what it still feels like. It lacks the power of the F1 racers though but the handling is undoubtedly there. It wants to play with the driver a bit in fast corners, a steady and determined hand is needed. The spirit of Colin Chapman really lives in this car. As in the case of the Giulia, if you want more top speed only touch the final ratio.

"Control lap time" for those who want it:

1'58,2xx on Grand Valley Speedway

Vintage Tuner Cup entry - 1963 and earlier​

M-B 300SL-R '54

412 bhp, 491 Nm, 1100 kg, 2.671 Kg/bhp

The prize car of the SL Challenge-race.

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Oil Change
New Wheels (Jaguar E-Type)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 7.5 / 5.0
Ride Height: 120 / 120
Bound: 6 / 2
Rebound: 8 / 8
Camber: 2.5 / 1.0
Toe: -2 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 2

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 4

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.551
2nd: 1.628
3rd: 1.208
4th: 0.950
5th: 0.770
Final Gear: 3.700

Autoset 20

LSD
Initial: 20

Driving Aids

Slightly tailhappy, yet fast to drive. Easy to control in the corners, aimed at overall performance. Tops out around 180mph/300km/h.

Gah ... once again Greycap I had hoped to enter a Europa to challenge yours but like the NSX in TCV2 the settings are disturbingly close to each other, from the suspension settings and gearing all the way down to the unusual downforce and brake balance. I guess it's on to my backup, the L10A... :sly:

<edit> yeah I just drove your Europa Grey and I def. can't enter mine. They feel practically identical.

To let everyone know, bring your 'A' Game to that division... that Europa is going to be HARD to beat.

So by my count there are still only 2 judges, if we are going to judge our own cars then tell me now, because I'll cook up some entrants for the other categories.

I think the best way to go there is a wait-and-see policy unfortunately... as with TCV2, it's very possible that people who aren't actively posting right now will drop in and volunteer come judging time.

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry; 1964-1972

Isuzu Bellet 1600 GT-R '69
(230hp) (256Nm) (882kg) (3.831 WPR)
Purchased Used Car Lot '80s

gtrbox.jpg

Parts to buy:
RC Exhaust
RC Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning stage 3
Port Polish Heads
Engine Balancing
RC Computer Chip
FC Suspension
FC Gearbox
Triple Clutch
RC Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
Rims (recommended but optional)

Settings:

Brake Balance: 5/9

Suspension:
Spring Rates: 5.0/5.8
Ride Height: 129/129
Damper (Bound): 4/4
Damper (Rebound): 8/8
Camber: 2.5/2.0
Toe: 2/-2
Stabiliser: 3/5

Gear Ratios: First set auto, then set each individual gear
Autoset: 16
1st: 2.527
2nd: 1.739
3rd: 1.337
4th: 1.069
5th: 0.882
6th: 0.735
Final: 3.727

LSD:
Initial: 5

All driving aids 0

Lap Record at GVS: 2.08.517

Description: When I heard that the Holden Gemini used the very same engine as in this car naturally I got to work. A hint of power oversteer is present, but it is an extremely good handling car considering it can't get a rear wing- bring it on.

Description: When I heard that the Holden Gemini used the very same engine as in this car naturally I got to work. A hint of power oversteer is present, but it is an extremely good handling car considering it can't get a rear wing- bring it on.

:lol: You breath Holden don't you?

I think he was done in one of those :lol: Isuzu? hm, maybe I should try taming the 117 coupe.. we shall see. so many possible cars for each class..

:lol: You breath Holden don't you?

Yes I do, and
I think he was done in one of those
I hope I was.

Now for the rest of the categories I have some tricks up my sleeve- a Triumph Spitfire '74 (non-Holden related :indiff: ) :sly: A Buick GNX is indeed coming- not the best drive but will be the most fun 👍 and my C3 Corvette Club Racer is also still coming. No one steal my cars unless you will make a very different tune.:odd:

omg really?

Yes, really ;) So they're not THE best out there, I think you would be hard done by finding a car with such interior space, and performance for the price. Commodore makes BMW 5 series look small inside while still being a competitive sporty sedan. But this isn't the place for this discussion.

Leo, if you're doing the 117 I wouldn't be surprised if yours come out better because you can win it new and mine was second hand, but mine is a good tune you will find hard to beat without a wing.;)

well, the Isuzu 117 has 10bhp more, topping out around 240+bhp. it's also a handful, even when compared to 400bhp shaguars and mercs..

It's also not terribly pretty ... but fun nonetheless!

Tomorrow, expect either a 110S L10A (speaking of not terribly pretty!) or a 2000GT from the Shark :sly: And shortly to follow, an Alpine for 73-80. I'm pretty sure I'm abstaining from the 80's division unless I just get a strange hankering to dive back into the MR2.

well, the Isuzu 117 has 10bhp more, topping out around 240+bhp. it's also a handful, even when compared to 400bhp shaguars and mercs..

It might have 10hp more, but that PALES in comparison with the extra 150-200kg of lard it has to carry Leo!! The Bellett is a better car in all areas on this one but VERY snappy when not treated right.

Holdenboy, been re-reading my posts about the Bellett and Gemini sharing motors eh?? :P If you were made in a Gemini however, your parents must be midgets!! :lol: I was 5'10" at 16yrs old and struggling to fit in it sometimes. :nervous:

Also, I've retuned the Celica.....will do a new update of it soon. Calling it the Celica 1600GT TRD Spec. Shorter geared, better handling and just as quick off the line. 2.07's at GVS, 62secs around Tsukuba. 252km/h top speed in 6th @ 7250rpm and then when I take it off the circuit......put it on the strip, hit the nitrous bottle & R5's, it will rip a mid 11 pass with the same circuit setup. Already taken some snazzy photos for this version and a vid will be coming up with it too, just to show it's capabilities. :P

Mafs!!

Vintage Tuner Cup entry - 1964-1972

NisMo FAIRLADY S-Tune'68

249 bhp, 285 Nm, 846 kg PWR 3.398Kg/bhp

Nissan Fairlady 2000'68. Appears at 80's used car lot. Rare.

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 2
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase (rollcage)
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
New Wheels (black Nismo 5-spoke)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.0 / 8.0
Ride Height: 110 / 130
Bound: 6 / 4
Rebound: 8 / 8
Camber: 2.5 / 1.5
Toe: -2 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 2

Brake Controller
Brakes: 7 / 5

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.623
2nd: 1.844
3rd: 1.420
4th: 1.130
5th: 0.930
6th: 0.780
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 30

Driving Aids

Ballast
Ballast Weight: 0

Back in the late 60's, Nissan realized that they needed a tuning arm that would take care of the factory works cars. The result was later called Nissan Motorsports, NisMo for short. In order to celebrate Nissans success in JGTC, Nismo prepped a very limited edition of old Fairlady 2000's. It looked like the old roadster from '68, but if you take a closer look, you'll start noticing little evidence about one of the most sneaky sleepers ever. First off, the body panels and chasssis are either entirely made out of CF composite or similar exotic materials. The suspension, the engine and the drivetrain are straight from Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero, which equals 2l 4 cylinder engine and 6-speed manual and LSD. The LSD, Suspension and gearbox are fully adjustable racing items in order to achieve the best performance. For the safety of the driver and to increase chassis rigidity, there's practically no seams or welds in the body, and integrated rollcage keeps things solid should the worst happen. The disc brakes come from Brembo, and brake balance can be adjusted from a lever in the cabin. There you go, here are the keys. The driving gloves, scarf, driving glasses and helmet are on the passanger seat. Godspeed.

It might have 10hp more, but that PALES in comparison with the extra 150-200kg of lard it has to carry Leo!! The Bellett is a better car in all areas on this one but VERY snappy when not treated right.

Holdenboy, been re-reading my posts about the Bellett and Gemini sharing motors eh?? :P If you were made in a Gemini however, your parents must be midgets!! :lol: I was 5'10" at 16yrs old and struggling to fit in it sometimes. :nervous:

Mafs!!

If it were any Holden it would most likely be a Kingswood. At 6ft 2" I can't fit in an Excel let alone a Gemini. My GNX tune is finished and it's a true improvement over stock, if anyone's driven it you will be thinking- oh no, not a GNX. Then bam, my car's tune might just change your opinion.

Vintage Tuner Cup Entry; 1981-1988 Division

Buick GNX '87
(413hp) (689Nm) (1328kg) (3.217 WPR)

IMG0017.jpg

Parts to Buy:

Semi-Racing Exhaust
RC Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Port Polish Heads
Engine Balancing
RC Computer Chip
FC Suspension
Stage 1 Turbo
RC Large Intercooler
FC Gearbox
Triple Clutch
FC Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Increase
Oil Change
Rear Wing

Settings:

Brake Balance: 3/24 (No, I'm not kidding)

Suspension:
Spring Rates: 5.5/6.0
Ride Height: 115/115
Damper (Bound): 3/3
Damper (Rebound): 6/6
Camber: 2.5/2.0
Toe: 2/-2
Stabiliser: 4/5

Gear Ratios: First set auto, then set each individual gear ratio
Autoset: 13
1st: 2.547
2nd: 1.762
3rd: 1.355
4th: 1.078
5th: 0.877
6th: 0.723
Final: 3.800

LSD:
Initial: 5
Acceleration: 40

Downforce: 30/20

All driving aids at 0

Lap record at GVS: 1.58.884

Description: What was once a piece of wood thrown around a track by hand is now a true driving machine made of lightweight materials and who could forget the trusty Buick V6 3800 Engine underhood, voted on Ward's list of ten best engines of the 20th Century, this car has undergone a serious transformation to get where it is, have a drive.

For which division? If it's for Club Racers, awesome! 👍 But your Cuda is already in 64-72, and it's one car per person, per division - the only other Camaros I can think of are the late-sixties Z28 and SS, which conflict with the Cuda

Don't forget the IROC-Z, it's pretty awesome sounding with IIRC a sports exhaust. It's an '88 model so it would fit in the '81-'88.

ill be cooking up a FC3s in the last few days

edit: "NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES FOR THE FIRST TWO DIVISIONS: 1963 and Earlier; 1964-1972. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS SATURDAY, JANUARY 26 AT 11:59 PM, US EASTERN TIME"

oh never mind lol

N4HS: Problem!! PROBLEM!!!

The GNX does NOT have a 3800. It has a 3.8. Big difference, (3.8 Series 2, IIRC) the 3800 is FWD-only and was put into production in 1989.

N4HS: Problem!! PROBLEM!!!

The GNX does NOT have a 3800. It has a 3.8. Big difference, (3.8 Series 2, IIRC) the 3800 is FWD-only and was put into production in 1989.

None the less, a 3.8 litre motor is 3800cc. :sly:

Back