Official Ferrari Challenge Thread

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 1,184 comments
hey guys i read some article about the game ( previews ) and in they, when talked about the damage,all say the damage will be only seen,not affect the car performance...but in the previous pages there is said that the car performance will be affected and even talked about the mechanicak failures....

mekanaizer can you confirm performance damage or mechanical failures? or the damage is only cosmetic?

I'm also very excited about this game race sim!

But what I want is more GT graphics and less cartoonish and Ferrari Challenge playable on three monitors (front, left and right view) creating a peripheral vision like in GT3 and GT4.

This is going to be the first real sim on the PS3, excellent! Maybe other developers like Simbin will follow.

:)

EDIT: I can't open the official site; link is on the first opening post. I always get this message (see photo below). What do I have to do? I know what it's for and that js stands for javascript but do I have to install this thing or what?

Attachments

• naamloos.jpg
    naamloos.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 25
i have the same problem with you about the official site....
try www.system3.com but there is only a teasor and a news section....i also try the sing up section lots but seems happen nothing...
we couldnot get any information except mekanaizer about the game...but after one month ( 23 may ) everything will be appeared....

I was told about new cars today:

1947 Ferrari 125 S
1953 Ferrari 375 MM Spyder
1956 Ferrari 290 MM
1956 Ferrari 500 TR Corsa
1964 Ferrari 275 GTS
1966 Ferrari 365 Spyder
2006 Ferrari Superamerica

(Then again I did not saw them) I saw 27, but not those above.
So for me if they will not appear on the game they may well appear as part of a DLC pack.

Here are one small Q&A with people-in-the-know - and there is also answer for you Kikie - one which also I didn't like :)

1. Will the game support creation of Private Lobbies for private racing with the people on the Friends list ?
Yes, you are able to set up all number of filters when setting up and joining games as well as when viewing highscores. This includes people on your friends list.

Hell yes! :)

2. Will game support in-race voice-chat?
Voice chat is supported.

Hell yes! :)

3. Will game support any kind of multiple-screen set-up?
No.

Damn! :)

so this is coming out in MAY?

When does it come out in North America? Just saw the trailer and it looks good!

3. Will game support any kind of multiple-screen set-up?
No.
Damn! :)
:ouch: :grumpy:

Very much appreciated for your answer.

I heard in an interview with Bruno Senna that it's a simulation but they made the cars more forgiving than in real life. I don't like that. It's a hard core sim or not. No compromises! Implement a less demanding option in the game if you will but leave the real handling option in.

:)

i read the same article that bruno said...

i think he was talking about something a game-like.....as you drive a real car outside, we can feel the speed and our eyes were more slower than our movements ( reaction ) wecan handle the car and guess what happen...

but in a game, we can only see whats happen, we couldnot feel the speed....for that reson he sad that our cars in the game have more suspension movements,by that we can guess what the car react and handle the car ( just like real life )...by forgiving means i guess he talked about that...

i think it will be good sim game..ihave already preordered FC TP...

I am really looking forward to this game, especially since the racing and AI of GT5 P have been a let down for me personally....

I do think that with only 1 month untill the game is released in the UK and here in Australia, they really need to promote it more if they want it to sell..There has been hardy any press on the title here in Australia and without this dedicated thread -I wouldnt have any real information on the game. Come on developers - if you have a promotions department - tell them to "pull their finger out".... we want more info / pictures and HD video Please........

I don't get it. The Ferrari developers have a Ferrari licence to make this sim but Blimey! are also making a Ferrari sim. So they must have a ferrari licence as well.

Maybe it has to do with pc sim and PS3 sim.

(Blimey! whom use to be a part of Simbin and the Blimey! guys are responsible for making GTR, GTL and GTR2 before they parted with Simbin).

i think the difference is that; i have already read that system3 got the "ferrari challenge series license" in that where ferrari cars, the tracks used for series,teams so so...as you know the rules that are used in ferrari challenges etc....

but the Bmiley's ferrari game was only about the ferrari cars,they got "Ferrari license", maybe it doesnot have the challenge's tracks, but there are maybe other tracks....

and bmiley's game will be awesome, gtr gtr2 are superb games..which platform will the ferrari project will be developed is not announced...i hope they made a ps3 game,its not important to be multiplat but a port version is not so got...they have to developed it ps3 and have to work on it, not a such capcom port....

and alsı simbin has two games underdevelopment, they will announced the game for ps3, i learn that they are in conctant will sony, may be we can see a simbin game on ps3 and it is so cool....

I found this video of a Bruno Senna ionterview on youtube - it seems fairly recent and has a little footage of the Ferrari FXX in game as well as a few scenes of the Ferrari Challenge interface - including the decal sysem..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIxQq6X2J4

The rest of the interview is about F1 drivers... but there is some footage of ferrari challenge that is interesting...

He was using the D-Pad. :lol:

Those physics don't look very promising. They seem to exhibit that same central pivot point that the CM series and Dirt suffered from.

;)

He was using the D-Pad. :lol:

Those physics don't look very promising. They seem to exhibit that same central pivot point that the CM series and Dirt suffered from.

;)

Agree 100%, I've been quietly looking forward to this and that single video has put it out of the sim arena for me. That's not to say I will not pick up a copy, for the same reasons I still like the Race Driver and CM series, a good arcade race game is still fun. Its just slipped quite a way down the 'must have' list for me, that's all.

Regards

Scaff

i think while bruno drives, may be the aids will be opened...we still need more info about the game but there is not enough info...there is almost one month left to published, neither the official site nor the other internet sources has any info about the game officially....

i still wait for FC TP and i hope it is a sim-based game....

We won't know for sure until we play it ourselves but I don't know where you guys get the rotating on a central axis concern from. System 3 is owned by an avid Ferrari owner/collector, someone who is certainly familiar with car control/physics etc. He's hired a racing driver (who races these same cars) to get the feel right and Senna hasn't been a one day hire. He has been very involved in the development for months. On top of this, they hire Tiff Needell to do the training mode and he then praises the handling . Against all that you watch a short, low quality video and determine the physics are probably poor? This makes no sense to me. Have a little faith in the developer. They are trying very hard to get the handling right (and make it adjustable with driving aids and without) so the odds are it will be at least decent unless they are complete programming failures.

We won't know for sure until we play it ourselves but I don't know where you guys get the rotating on a central axis concern from. System 3 is owned by an avid Ferrari owner/collector, someone who is certainly familiar with car control/physics etc. He's hired a racing driver (who races these same cars) to get the feel right and Senna hasn't been a one day hire. He has been very involved in the development for months. On top of this, they hire Tiff Needell to do the training mode and he then praises the handling . Against all that you watch a short, low quality video and determine the physics are probably poor? This makes no sense to me. Have a little faith in the developer. They are trying very hard to get the handling right (and make it adjustable with driving aids and without) so the odds are it will be at least decent unless they are complete programming failures.

No I'm basing it on what can be clearly seen on the clip with the FXX, that the car is rotating around a fixed point axis, regardless of the load distribution on it. I know enough about the physics involved (I train in the motor industry and have done for over a decade) to know that it doesn't look right, in fact it looks just like Codemaster's products do. The quality of the video involved is more than good enough to see that, the movement doesn't look natural at all.

It may be down to the use of driving aids, but being honest it looks far deeper than that. I also said its didn't make it a no buy for me, rather than it certainly doesn't look to be displaying the traits of a sim.

Regarding driver endorsement, well I learnt to take that with a rather large pinch of salt quite a few years ago. Tiff has endorsed the Race Driver series in the past (back when it was TOCA) and Colin MacRae's name is plastered all over that series. Neither are sims, the only driver endorsement I have ever being convinced by was Richard Burns Rally, and that was only based on the final article (and that looked 'real' from the first video shown).

Ferrari Challenge still looks like an interesting game, but it doesn't on the latest footage look like a sim. That doesn't make it bad, just not what I had expected, and I would love to be pleasantly surprised when it comes out, but I'm certainly not going to take the say so of paid partners as proof (after all Bruno Senna is not going to turn around and say 'sorry its cack, I was wrong all along.......but please pay me still' is he).

Regards

Scaff

No I'm basing it on what can be clearly seen on the clip with the FXX, that the car is rotating around a fixed point axis, regardless of the load distribution on it. I know enough about the physics involved (I train in the motor industry and have done for over a decade) to know that it doesn't look right, in fact it looks just like Codemaster's products do. The quality of the video involved is more than good enough to see that, the movement doesn't look natural at all.

It may be down to the use of driving aids, but being honest it looks far deeper than that. I also said its didn't make it a no buy for me, rather than it certainly doesn't look to be displaying the traits of a sim.

Regarding driver endorsement, well I learnt to take that with a rather large pinch of salt quite a few years ago. Tiff has endorsed the Race Driver series in the past (back when it was TOCA) and Colin MacRae's name is plastered all over that series. Neither are sims, the only driver endorsement I have ever being convinced by was Richard Burns Rally, and that was only based on the final article (and that looked 'real' from the first video shown).

Ferrari Challenge still looks like an interesting game, but it doesn't on the latest footage look like a sim. That doesn't make it bad, just not what I had expected, and I would love to be pleasantly surprised when it comes out, but I'm certainly not going to take the say so of paid partners as proof (after all Bruno Senna is not going to turn around and say 'sorry its cack, I was wrong all along.......but please pay me still' is he).

Regards

Scaff

I was going to reply, but you summed it all up quite nicely. 👍

It looks like a "fun" game, just no the "sim" I was really hoping for. Like Scaff, I enjoy the CM series, as well as TOCA, Forza series, PGR series, etc... I will still buy the game. However, as Scaff put it, (video quality aside), the Ferrari FXX in the video exhibits strong characteristics of the typical "Codemasters" physics, which is vehicles rotating around a central pivot point, instead of being based off of the load on each tire (4 point system), front/rear load, side load, g-forces, etc...

This will by no means make it unplayable, just far less involving, and thus far less interesting to a lot of us gearheads.

;)

one lap around monza with bruno

the link is above...can you watch it and share your thoughts with us guys...it seems good for me...your thoughts....

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172697

He is still playing it with ABS ON (at level 3). And maybe who knows he is playing it the easy way. :D :D :D

And still for those that are commenting about the rotating-point. If we want a sim we need to play it like a sim cockpit-view or the classic GT bumper view.

Regards

Scaff

You certainly could be right. It just seems like a lot to interpret from a 5 second video clip where it isn't clear if the FXX is just touching on oversteer and is immediately corrected or if that is actually what an extended bit of drifting looks like. I just read a GRID preview at 1UP that does not sound good handling wise and I really hope Ferrari Challenge comes through with a decent as the tracks and cars are a great selection. I am not sure I will be as generous as you in buying the game despite the handling . I don't have enough time to play many games which makes me pretty picky concerning which I buy although an occasional arcade game makes it through the door...

Another delay, but now for just one week - new release date is 30 May 2008.

I agree with Scaff about the central pivot point - it is certanly not a move towards realism and handling accuracy.

And "aids" have nothing to do with it, since car is not turned real-time by front tyres while rear is giving the push - but obvisuely by invisible wheels in the centre of the driving model.

Hm..

He is still playing it with ABS ON (at level 3). And maybe who knows he is playing it the easy way. :D :D :D

And still for those that are commenting about the rotating-point. If we want a sim we need to play it like a sim cockpit-view or the classic GT bumper view.
How would the view have any effect at all on the physics engine? Its either right or its not right, the veiw used will have no effect on that at all.

Another delay, but now for just one week - new release date is 30 May 2008.

I agree with Scaff about the central pivot point - it is certanly not a move towards realism and handling accuracy.

And "aids" have nothing to do with it, since car is not turned real-time by front tyres while rear is giving the push - but obvisuely by invisible wheels in the centre of the driving model.

Hm..
Quite agree amar, its nothing to do with aids, and thanks for the release date info 👍.

You certainly could be right. It just seems like a lot to interpret from a 5 second video clip where it isn't clear if the FXX is just touching on oversteer and is immediately corrected or if that is actually what an extended bit of drifting looks like. I just read a GRID preview at 1UP that does not sound good handling wise and I really hope Ferrari Challenge comes through with a decent as the tracks and cars are a great selection. I am not sure I will be as generous as you in buying the game despite the handling . I don't have enough time to play many games which makes me pretty picky concerning which I buy although an occasional arcade game makes it through the door...
Its neither, real oversteer and/or drifting looks nothing like that at all. The car is rotating on a single plain with no regard for the direction of travel of the four tyres.

A challenge for you, find me a video clip of a real car moving in the manner of the one in that clip.

You mention GRID and to be honest take a look at the handleing of the cars on GRID videos and compare them to the video of the FXX, you will see a lot of similarities.

In regard to the video clip of Bruno Senna's Monza lap, well a dash-cam makes it difficult to see exactly what is going on, but one rather telling moment is about 2/3rds of the way in, when he hits the back of the yellow car. It can clearly be seen to rotate centraly, rather than the back end losing traction and stepping out more than the front end.

What I found far more interesting was the linked interview with him...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172684

...in particular this comment...

The real objective is to make a game that everybody can play but still be a good representation of how the physics really are.

...which is representative of the whole tone of the interview. He openly admits its not a sim, rather a simcade, a blend of the two, which is exactly how many describe the TRD and CM series.

Regards

Scaff

thanks about your thougts scaff...

the best thing is to wait until it is published, or got new info about the game...maybe it has several modes as gt like standart or simulation or sth like this...who knows....

i read that without aids the game is simulation, but when the aids activated its become sim-arcade....

you can watch more wideos at jeux, go to page 12 of this tread, there was a link there about gameplay videos....

anyway thanks again...

thanks about your thougts scaff...

the best thing is to wait until it is published, or got new info about the game...maybe it has several modes as gt like standart or simulation or sth like this...who knows....

i read that without aids the game is simulation, but when the aids activated its become sim-arcade....

you can watch more wideos at jeux, go to page 12 of this tread, there was a link there about gameplay videos....

anyway thanks again...

Having a "sim" and "arcade" mode (or controlling such by turning on/off aids) has nothing to do with the base level handling physics. The core physics of the game will not change. If they have programed the game with a similar code to CM,DIRT,GRID, etc... which as previously said, creates a central pivot point which the car rotates around depending on external input, will not be "changed" by changing the mode. You will more likely see a difference in difficulty. i.e. tires will lose traction easier on sim, pivot point won't pivot as easily (probably tied to the traction physics), and/or the brakes will be stronger/weaker depending on the mode. You can see more examples of this by looking at other Codemasters games.

As Scaff said, it's hard to see the physics in action from the bumper view. Yet the tell tail central pivot point is still able to be seen in a few corners.

;)

Back