• 1,184 comments
Burnout
PGR
GRID
Juiced
NFS
TDU
Midnight Club

I guess the temptation to make driving games more "accessible" continues. Sure all the above are wildly different in terms of their approach but it seems increasingly unlikely we'll see a true "sim" for consoles anytime soon. And no, Forza 2 certainly doesn't count.

Having a "sim" and "arcade" mode (or controlling such by turning on/off aids) has nothing to do with the base level handling physics. The core physics of the game will not change. If they have programed the game with a similar code to CM,DIRT,GRID, etc... which as previously said, creates a central pivot point which the car rotates around depending on external input, will not be "changed" by changing the mode. You will more likely see a difference in difficulty. i.e. tires will lose traction easier on sim, pivot point won't pivot as easily (probably tied to the traction physics), and/or the brakes will be stronger/weaker depending on the mode. You can see more examples of this by looking at other Codemasters games.

As Scaff said, it's hard to see the physics in action from the bumper view. Yet the tell tail central pivot point is still able to be seen in a few corners.

;)

i read some articles on spong.com...bruno talked about that the first structure of the game was too hard, too simulation...even the producer cannot drive it easily...and then they decided to make it more accessably or funny, and the electronic aids take into account...i watch too much videos of forza and some little FC Tp...i think they look same at some points....any way where is no chance to know without playing....

i read also g- meter system about the game, it says that every tire has its own grip level and the gmeter affects all tires individually...i donot think it has pivot centered game like codemasters...i hope it is to be simulastic, otherwise not a buy game for me...i have to play in order to conclude or watch long gameplay videos.....

i read some articles on spong.com...bruno talked about that the first structure of the game was too hard, too simulation...even the producer cannot drive it easily...and then they decided to make it more accessably or funny, and the electronic aids take into account...i watch too much videos of forza and some little FC Tp...i think they look same at some points....any way where is no chance to know without playing....

i read also g- meter system about the game, it says that every tire has its own grip level and the gmeter affects all tires individually...i donot think it has pivot centered game like codemasters...i hope it is to be simulastic, otherwise not a buy game for me...i have to play in order to conclude or watch long gameplay videos.....

As I said, the base level characteristics of the physics engine will NOT change because of aids. Furthermore, Forza does not appear to handle in the same fashion as FC (from the available videos). Forza has a lot of problems, but it appears (so far) that their physics engine is more "sim" based. As you have said, they made a strong effort to make the game "accessible". They may have had a more "sim" engine in the beginning (although, I'm sure it was still based off the same code), but they changed it to make it more "accessible" (i.e. more "arcade" like). I have no doubt, each tire has it's own traction code, but that code is still (in codemasters racing games) just affecting how the central pivot point reacts to external input. They could have individual code for each of the treads on each of the tires, but if that code is not implemented into a fully realized physics system, you're still going to be in arcade city. Definitely a fun time, but not "real" or "sim" by any standards.

Some of you have said, "How can you make such judgments based off of a few short vids?". Well, a lot of us here have been following racing games (sim or otherwise) for many years. I myself have been playing sim/arcade racing games (preferably sim) for over 15 years. I have watched thousands of videos regarding the physics of said games. After a while you tend to pick up on little things that give away how the code is processed.

Lets hope they do some more tweaking before the final game comes out. If not, there's always the "Official Ferrari" game, made by the creators of GTR and GTR2, to look forward to.

;)

yeah bmiley game...but it is not certain that it will come to ps3...
and also if you visited the simbin website, you have noticed that the new engine,lizard, is developed for pc,xbox360 and ps3...i hope they make a game for ps3...and hope ferrari project will come ps3 too..

and also i want to mention FİA WTCC, it was announced at 2005 to ps3 ( one of the first games announced) but after that there was no new info about the game like the other first announced games ( 8 days, gateaway or so on...)

then turn back to FC TP, i hope they touch magically at that final process and we taste a sim game...( but the game was said to bee sim-cade, without aids sim i repeat)...but you explain well about the pivot centering,thanks alot, may be the final product will not suffer it...

He is still playing it with ABS ON (at level 3). And maybe who knows he is playing it the easy way. :D :D :D
And still for those that are commenting about the rotating-point. If we want a sim we need to play it like a sim cockpit-view or the classic GT bumper view.

How would the view have any effect at all on the physics engine? Its either right or its not right, the veiw used will have no effect on that at all.
Scaff

Did I mention the physics engine? :odd::odd::odd:

I don't have a problem with a more arcade-based game (I still rate PGR2 as one of the best driving games made) I think the question is: GRID or Ferrari Challenge? There certainly isn't time in my life for both! :guilty: (I also resisted picking up DiRT for this reason.)

In the end it will depend on which game is better put-together. I have to say, I'm a bit sceptical about total Ferrari immersion - smacks of branding rather than quality, but we'll see...

Did I mention the physics engine? :odd::odd::odd:

Strikes me that if you are talking about wanting sim and needing to put it in bumper/cockpit view then my point is perfectly valid. A sim requires a good physics engine, if it isn't a sim when its in any other view then how would putting it in bumper/cockpit view going to make it one, unless you are saying it will change the physics involved.

If its an arcade style game with sim leanings in a 'full' view, then its going to be the same in bumper/cockpit view. You quite clearly implied that if the centre rotating issue was a problem then put it in bumper/cockpit view and it would now be a sim! Now if that isn't saying that the physics would change then I don't know what is?

The issue of centre rotation doesn't go away in the TRD and CM series when you move to this view, so I don't see how its going to on this either. My question remains valid, how is a change in view going to change the issue of centre rotation without changing the physics involved.

Regards

Scaff

As I said, the base level characteristics of the physics engine will NOT change because of aids. Furthermore, Forza does not appear to handle in the same fashion as FC (from the available videos). Forza has a lot of problems, but it appears (so far) that their physics engine is more "sim" based. As you have said, they made a strong effort to make the game "accessible". They may have had a more "sim" engine in the beginning (although, I'm sure it was still based off the same code), but they changed it to make it more "accessible" (i.e. more "arcade" like). I have no doubt, each tire has it's own traction code, but that code is still (in codemasters racing games) just affecting how the central pivot point reacts to external input. They could have individual code for each of the treads on each of the tires, but if that code is not implemented into a fully realized physics system, you're still going to be in arcade city. Definitely a fun time, but not "real" or "sim" by any standards.

Some of you have said, "How can you make such judgments based off of a few short vids?". Well, a lot of us here have been following racing games (sim or otherwise) for many years. I myself have been playing sim/arcade racing games (preferably sim) for over 15 years. I have watched thousands of videos regarding the physics of said games. After a while you tend to pick up on little things that give away how the code is processed.

Lets hope they do some more tweaking before the final game comes out. If not, there's always the "Official Ferrari" game, made by the creators of GTR and GTR2, to look forward to.

;)
I went to Skip Barber 17 years ago and have had a decent amount of track time since then but I have a lot less experience with the virtual side of things than you describe. Which is disappointing because that means this game will probably not be sim based after all. :ouch: Would you mind taking the time to describe the major differences in the physics approach between Forza 2, GT5P and GTR2--or any of those you have experience with? By that I mean, what are the key strengths/weaknesses of each?

Strikes me that if you are talking about wanting sim and needing to put it in bumper/cockpit view then my point is perfectly valid. A sim requires a good physics engine, if it isn't a sim when its in any other view then how would putting it in bumper/cockpit view going to make it one, unless you are saying it will change the physics involved.

If its an arcade style game with sim leanings in a 'full' view, then its going to be the same in bumper/cockpit view. You quite clearly implied that if the centre rotating issue was a problem then put it in bumper/cockpit view and it would now be a sim! Now if that isn't saying that the physics would change then I don't know what is?

The issue of centre rotation doesn't go away in the TRD and CM series when you move to this view, so I don't see how its going to on this either. My question remains valid, how is a change in view going to change the issue of centre rotation without changing the physics involved.

Regards

Scaff

Did you ever saw the WilliamsF1 simulator?

If so you will see that is feels right when you drive it (cockpit-view) but when you see the replay of what you did the car does not feel right will moving. Thou it is one of the best sim-machines.
The best of the world is the McLaren simulator.

EDIT: FC:TP will end surprise a lot of people. Wait for the final produte and you will see a very well balanced game that will please beginners and hardcore gamers.

I don't have a problem with a more arcade-based game (I still rate PGR2 as one of the best driving games made) I think the question is: GRID or Ferrari Challenge? There certainly isn't time in my life for both! :guilty: (I also resisted picking up DiRT for this reason.)

In the end it will depend on which game is better put-together. I have to say, I'm a bit sceptical about total Ferrari immersion - smacks of branding rather than quality, but we'll see...

Ferrari Challenge as you say: "is better put-together game". Thou GRID has a wonderful damage system. And if it will have the same weak online modes as DIRT then it is one vote more for Ferrari Challenge where the online is very well made, useful and fun.

Did you ever saw the WilliamsF1 simulator?

If so you will see that is feels right when you drive it (cockpit-view) but when you see the replay of what you did the car does not feel right will moving. Thou it is one of the best sim-machines.
The best of the world is the McLaren simulator.

EDIT: FC:TP will end surprise a lot of people. Wait for the final produte and you will see a very well balanced game that will please beginners and hardcore gamers.

Yes I have seen it and no it doesn't look wrong when you see a replay of the car at all.

The external car footage does not 'not feel right' at all, sorry but its a weak argument to say that all with be well with FC and it will be a sim just by changing to the interior view. Every bit of footage I've seen recently shows this to be an arcade game with sim leaning, the interview with Bruno Senna even admitted so (repeatedly).

I'm still looking forward to it, but certainly not as a sim.

Scaff

Yes I have seen it and no it doesn't look wrong when you see a replay of the car at all.

The external car footage does not 'not feel right' at all, sorry but its a weak argument to say that all with be well with FC and it will be a sim just by changing to the interior view. Every bit of footage I've seen recently shows this to be an arcade game with sim leaning, the interview with Bruno Senna even admitted so (repeatedly).

I'm still looking forward to it, but certainly not as a sim.

Scaff

That is a sec like replay how can you judge that conclusion?
The point is, did you saw it on full?

And where did I say that you need to play FC:TP with the cockpit-view for it to be a sim?

I went to Skip Barber 17 years ago and have had a decent amount of track time since then but I have a lot less experience with the virtual side of things than you describe. Which is disappointing because that means this game will probably not be sim based after all. :ouch: Would you mind taking the time to describe the major differences in the physics approach between Forza 2, GT5P and GTR2--or any of those you have experience with? By that I mean, what are the key strengths/weaknesses of each?

That's a big can of worms to open.

I won't go into too much detail here, but Forza has some problems with the traction physics. There doesn't seem to be a lot of variance between full throttle/brakes and off throttle/brakes. I use a MS wheel for the game, and even with that the steering/throttle/brakes seem to be on/off switches (well not quite, but you get the point). This is something the GT series has always done well (besides the dreaded brake glitch). GT4 had some weird tire (traction) physics, an exception to the rule. The lateral/longitudinal traction coefficient was way off, Leading to the inability to do a simple donut, as well as making slip angles unpredictable and unrealistic. Thankfully GT5:Prologue has fixed that problem. The tire physics seem to be a combination of GT3 and GT4 physics modernized and tweaked. You can feel what the sudden blip of the throttle is doing to the tires rotational speed in relation to the speed of the tarmac underneath.

As for GTR2... Well, I haven't played it yet. I'm waiting for the imminent purchase of a Logitech G25. However, I have played a little game called Richard Burns Rally, which I can safely say is the best sim-racer I have ever played. Much respect to the late great Richard Burns. RIP. That game was a fantastic lasting tribute to the best sport on earth, and a very convincing simulation driving game.

If you have more questions (or want more in depth answers) shoot me over a PM.

;)

That's a big can of worms to open.

I won't go into too much detail here, but Forza has some problems with the traction physics. There doesn't seem to be a lot of variance between full throttle/brakes and off throttle/brakes. I use a MS wheel for the game, and even with that the steering/throttle/brakes seem to be on/off switches (well not quite, but you get the point). This is something the GT series has always done well (besides the dreaded brake glitch). GT4 had some weird tire (traction) physics, an exception to the rule.

From my experience with a controller, the throttle and brakes are better in Forza 2 when compared to GT4. The triggers have more range than the X and square button. I actually thought that was pretty well done in Forza 2.

:nervous:
The point is, did you saw it on full?
Yes I have seen more footage of it (and plenty of other F1 team simulators), the video also contains more than a second of replay footage, and lets be quite straight about this. That is more than you posted to back up your claim, as it was 2am in the UK when I posted that I wasn't about to spend hours searching the net for more footage.

The point however is rather simple, you posted nothing at all to back up your claim, the footage I posted, no matter how short, does not show any significant issue with the replay footage of the F1 sim.

So here is what I will say on the matter, you are making the claim that the McLaren F1 sim doesn't look realistic when in replay mode and despite not providing any evidence of your own, you are happy to dismiss what I have provided. So provide your own evidence, I would like to see footage of the McLaren F1 sim wih replay footage that clearly backs up your claim. I await it with interest.

And where did I say that you need to play FC:TP with the cockpit-view for it to be a sim?

Uhhh here....

If we want a sim we need to play it like a sim cockpit-view or the classic GT bumper view.

...when you say that if we want it to be a sim we need to play it in cockpit or bumper view!!!!!

However, I have played a little game called Richard Burns Rally, which I can safely say is the best sim-racer I have ever played. Much respect to the late great Richard Burns. RIP. That game was a fantastic lasting tribute to the best sport on earth, and a very convincing simulation driving game.

100% agree, easily for me the single finest sim around, and an indication of what true driver involvement will do to the development of a sim. Richard Burns spend a significant amount of time during his last few years alive in the development of RBR, he wasn't able to race, but wanted to make the single most realistic rally sim. He certainly managed that and was not hindered by concerns about a niche product. I actually feel sorry for Bruno Senna in this regard, as reading the interview I get the feeling that even if he wanted the most realistic sim ever to result from this it was never going to happen, commercial pressures appear to have put pay to that.

Regards

Scaff

Oh, for gods sake.... it's delayed AGAIN
EB Games is now showing Ferrari Challenge as being released on 19th of June 2008 here in Australia. I am beginning to wonder if this game will ever actually hit the shelves or it just going to be vapourware with its very annoying, creeping delays? Maybe this is the real reason there is no official information on the game or any substantial media coverage.

I'm going to put GTR2 back on my PC and only show slight interest again if a demo of this game happens to show up on PSN or I actually see it on a store shelf sometime in the future.....

wjt1980 has now left the building .........

From my experience with a controller, the throttle and brakes are better in Forza 2 when compared to GT4. The triggers have more range than the X and square button. I actually thought that was pretty well done in Forza 2.

That's a strange argument.

You can set the controls (in Forza 2) to both analog sticks, just like you can in all the GT games, giving you exactly the same amount of control over the throttle/brakes as you would in a GT game (and exactly the same amount of control as using the triggers). It has nothing to do with the game giving you "more range". You just didn't use the analog sticks in GT4, which would have given you the "range" you desire.

100% agree, easily for me the single finest sim around, and an indication of what true driver involvement will do to the development of a sim. Richard Burns spend a significant amount of time during his last few years alive in the development of RBR, he wasn't able to race, but wanted to make the single most realistic rally sim. He certainly managed that and was not hindered by concerns about a niche product. I actually feel sorry for Bruno Senna in this regard, as reading the interview I get the feeling that even if he wanted the most realistic sim ever to result from this it was never going to happen, commercial pressures appear to have put pay to that.

It almost makes me teary eyed knowing that such an incredible driver (and nice guy) has such a wonderful lasting tribute to his name. This especially after dying so young. As I said before, even after most games would be showing their age, RBR still looks and acts as a true died-in-the-wool sim through and through. 👍

I have to say, I agree with Scaff.

I have seen quite a bit of footage of the F1 simulator. I have always been quite impressed with the look and (apparent) feel of their simulation effort. Nothing is perfect, but I haven't seen anything that would appear strange or unrealistic to my eyes.

;)

FC is still scheduled for release May 30, in Belgium.

So every game were you can see that the cars pivot around a center point are arcade or at most simcade?

:)

I think one of the reasons the Williams Simulator may not look very real in the replay footage is due of the Lighting/Shadowing (or lack there of), and the graphic engine!

That's a strange argument.

You can set the controls (in Forza 2) to both analog sticks, just like you can in all the GT games, giving you exactly the same amount of control over the throttle/brakes as you would in a GT game (and exactly the same amount of control as using the triggers). It has nothing to do with the game giving you "more range". You just didn't use the analog sticks in GT4, which would have given you the "range" you desire.

I don't really like using the analog sticks. In GT I even used the d-pad to steer. The placement and feel didn't really work for me. Throttle control wasn't really that important to me in GT4, since I usually always had TCS on at least 1 where in Forza 2, I had it usually set at off since the only other setting was on. Same for braking, GT4 had ABS so there was no need to modulate the brakes.

i read the article but i dissappointed...it said "pgr4" like handling.....so disaappointed while i am expecting a sim game...

but graphically may be is is ok, but the graphs is always second place for me...as i play rbr in my ps2 still rather than next gen games.....

why the developers dont make a huge sim, why enjoyable or accessible...

I don't really like using the analog sticks. In GT I even used the d-pad to steer. The placement and feel didn't really work for me. Throttle control wasn't really that important to me in GT4, since I usually always had TCS on at least 1 where in Forza 2, I had it usually set at off since the only other setting was on. Same for braking, GT4 had ABS so there was no need to modulate the brakes.

I am not sure if I totally agree with you, but yes I do prefer the Xbox360 GamePad over the SIXAXIS (or the DS1 or DS2 or DS3).. the button layout and triggers are just perfect for most or any games, especially for racing / driving games.. I have much better control with throttle control and braking (with ABS off) and I could also do some LFB which isnt possible AT ALL with SIXAXIS / DS1 / DS2 / DS3.. Although now I prefer my new G25 wheel, for driving / racing games any day over any gamepad..
:)

Well, that's your problem, not the game. Fact is, the analog sticks give you the range of motion you seem to think triggers are providing (which is false). The reality is, you could have (and still can) easily get used to the analog sticks. You just didn't (don't) care enough to put in the effort. Instead you decided to be lazy and just use the d-pad and buttons. Anyone can get used to any button layout. Anyone telling you different is selling something. As I said before, this is not the game's fault. Both games have given you control options to fully utilize variable braking/throttle/steering. You have just chosen to alienate one of those options, even though it is fully viable. GT3 has better friction code (than Forza), that should go without saying. However, lesser known is the greater variability in the throttle/brakes/ and yes even the steering (or I should say, especially the steering (Forza's Achilles heal)). The friction code in GT4 was off, which is well documented so I won't go into too much boring detail about that subject, and yes ABS was not adjustable. Yet, this is fixed in GT5:P (all of these things in fact), which is what you should be comparing Forza too anyway, considering they're both Next-Gen. Anyway, my point is, your view is incredibly skewed because you are using one layout for Forza (triggers which give you a somewhat full range of motion), and a completely different layout for GT games (buttons, which offer very little range of motion). If you were using similar layouts (triggers for Forza, Analog sticks for GT) then you would have an argument. As it stands, you're comparing apples to oranges.

as i play rbr in my ps2 still rather than next gen games.....

Well, nothing to be ashamed of there. As has been mentioned, RBR is/was a brilliant sim game. Much better than anything currently on the market. I sure wish we received RBR, for the PS2, over here in the states. We have to play it on the PC (which meant I had to beef up my PC to play it (at the time).

at the end there was a very good preview of the game includes an interview with the developer,mark cale...enjoy...

http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=138354

Weird interview. Some interesting points though. Like this:

The game's handling, like PGR4, sits somewhere between real life simulation and arcade racer. As a result, you'll need to use the racing line and choose the right braking point, but also you won't be punished too badly for getting into scuffles with your competitors.

Not very promising. PGR4 was fun, but to be honest, I lost interest pretty quick after beating the main game (which was incredibly short). This was because of the uber-forgiving physics. No challenge at all. Just plant the throttle when needed, slam on the brakes when needed. Repeat a hundred times.

The weather effects are excellent, and have indeed progressed since the 50% complete weather we saw near the end of last year. Rain streams across the windows of your Ferrari, moving faster as you pick up speed – something PGR4 doesn't seem to do. There are some nice details too, like circles from raindrops being visible on the track when you slow down for a particularly tight corner. The game is probably at its best in the wet, as the car feels more convincing on a wet surface than on a dry track.

The weather effects sound promising.......... It also sounds like sim heads will only find enjoyment (and maybe challenge???) in the rain.

That video was a sham. Just more marketing BS. Backgrounds better than GT5:P. Are you joking? I have seen the track shots of FC, and they are nothing compared to the nearly real looking backgrounds of GT5:P. Drive around the Eiger track, or London, and then tell me which game looks better. Furthermore, weather effect and damage are planned to be implemented into GT5:P. Can he say the cars in FC will be upgraded with better modeling (the only advantage over FC, in his eyes :crazy:)? I doubt it.

The game looks fun. It looks like a cross between PGR4 and Forza 2. Both fun games, but no where near simulation. Sim heads, I think Bmiley has your game in production. Might be a while, but then again, if you live in the US, it will be quite a while before we get FC as well.

;)

Anyway, my point is, your view is incredibly skewed because you are using one layout for Forza (triggers which give you a somewhat full range of motion), and a completely different layout for GT games (buttons, which offer very little range of motion). If you were using similar layouts (triggers for Forza, Analog sticks for GT) then you would have an argument. As it stands, you're comparing apples to oranges.

I guess my argument is that for me the Xbox controller is better for driving games mainly due to comfort. To me using the stick for throttle and brakes is just weird, but people may say the same about using d-pad for steering.

I guess my argument is that for me the Xbox controller is better for driving games mainly due to comfort. To me using the stick for throttle and brakes is just weird, but people may say the same about using d-pad for steering.

Well that's just it. Everything is weird, until you get used to it. To each his own. Yet don't try and say one game is better than the other just because you failed to even try to make the other games control work for you.

;)

www.fc.system3.com

the official website and it is on now..on there, stated that" scaleable handling settings allows players to choose their ideal level of SIMULATION,forgiving for beginners or frighteningly authentic for the expert"...this is a hope for me....make a game for huge simulation gamers, comon', forget about the beginners, make more enjoyable is useless...if they want to play there are lots of that kind of game;nfs,pgr,grid,juiced...but huge simulation, no that kind of selection except gt in ps3...

oh snap look what I've found.

44404861gk7.jpg

Great track videos, Monaco in sunset is faboulous :) Shame there are no headlights though.

However, those videos crancked up my wish for this game beyond any criticism towards pivot point. I want this game now :D

Back