1st Annual Fall Roadster Battle! FINAL RESULTS POSTED!!!

Fallgate eh? :lol:

Yes, I did hear back from him and he says the time is correct. The car suited his driving style much better than the others, hence the excellent time. I think we've all had that happen to some degree with certain cars or had that "magic lap". While it may seem to be a deviant time I will take him at his word and hopefully that will be the end of it.

I'm sorry, but that is a load of bollocks.

That "magic lap" happens but that "magic lap" is never that big of a difference. I'm calling accidental change of tires or SRF. Or the time is straight up bull. One of those.

Heck, SRF might not be worth that much time... You need a wheel and a fairly specific "style" to make the most of it (do everything wrong and you're on the right track)... Heck, might be both. Or he sandbagged every other car.

All I know is that either that laptime is not valid or none of his laptimes are valid.

He prob just drives super hard. Like literally no trying to control it at all. Mine at least is tricky if you drive hard and I assume your car is the same. The S2000 he drove real fast is prob easy to smash on gas and brake plus had a good lap.

He prob just drives super hard. Like literally no trying to control it at all. Mine at least is tricky if you drive hard and I assume your car is the same. The S2000 he drove real fast is prob easy to smash on gas and brake plus had a good lap.

Which would qualify as sandbagging everyone else's cars. I'm not worried about what this result will do to my car, but rather the favors it'll do Tris.

Rotary Junkie
Which would qualify as sandbagging everyone else's cars. I'm not worried about what this result will do to my car, but rather the favors it'll do Tris.

Lol and Tris getting better laps will add up to screwing your car. I do find it strange tho that one car can do so well. The lap he got with it is a good lap no matter who's driving while the other cars got sub par ones. What can he do now tho? He would have to either test Tris car again which wouldn't be fair to give his car so many more laps and more experience to drive it. Other option is test everyone else car again to try and get better laps, but theirs a lot of cars to do again.

Lol and Tris getting better laps will add up to screwing your car.

Not if I or anyone else winds up ahead anyway. It's the people behind him in the standings that aren't necessarily getting a fair shot. I'm really not fussed where my car winds up, just so long as I know the competition was fair towards everyone.

I do find it strange tho that one car can do so well. The lap he got with it is a good lap no matter who's driving while the other cars got sub par ones. What can he do now tho? He would have to either test Tris car again which wouldn't be fair to give his car so many more laps and more experience to drive it. Other option is test everyone else car again to try and get better laps, but theirs a lot of cars to do again.

Given the lap is you-didn't-manage-that levels of good when compared with the other times, either he's actually a damn good driver and could push every car to much faster times than he has (sandbagging much?) or he went cheaty on Tris' lap.

If he knows he sandbagged everyone, he should retest everyone. If he cheated his way to the time for Tris' car then only that one gets a retest. If he refuses outright to do anything, I vote his entire result sheet be pulled from the averages. None of the S2000s are that much faster than any of the others.

The time he got is D2 WRS standard on Tris car (above average) and the rest are probably D4 (average at best - below average). Theres a 2 second gap to the next best car which is huge.

Im scratching my head looking at those times.

Agreed with the above. I can do 24's in my own S2000 and I did a 25 in RJ's S2000 the first time I drove it. If you can do 24's in one S2000, you can do 25's in the rest without much effort.

Not to stir up things any worse but there are actually 2 cars that he gave much better times for, tris and praiano. Both test times fall well outside the expected results, and if he listed in the order he tested then I'm thinking he did something different with those two cars. So a re-test by him of both should tell him if there was something off in the initial testing.

Note, he did give me basically the same response in pm that he gave DigitalBaka. Stated that tris car was like the perfect car for his driving style and that praiano time was due to a lucky lap.

The time for Praiano's car isn't out of the realm of the other cars really... It shouldn't be faster than the rest but it's not several seconds faster.

1'24"632 is very close to my time. I know exactly what do you need to do to reach this time. 0% error, perfect line, this is close to the perfect lap for me and if i can do a better time perhaps in 100 laps ,it will be 200 milsec less ,no more than this. There is no perfect lap like this that take out almost 3 seconds on this track at this level .
It's a mistake, nothing big, tires???? don't know !! just need to try again only with this car or and my car too and see.
If it was with the Onboy car and his racing soft tires .......???!!! ok !! but it wasn't.:):):):):):) hahahahahah.

Psst, Onboy only had sports softs accidentally stuck on...

Which would've probably put his car down to a 1:25.0 for most people. :lol:

The time for Praiano's car isn't out of the realm of the other cars really... It shouldn't be faster than the rest but it's not several seconds faster.
Look at his time for praiano's car again, its his second fastest time out of all the cars. Johnnypensos car is the only other one he has under 1:27.
Nothing against praiano's car and his tune but do you really believe it just happened to be faster than every other car other than tris? Especially when the time gap between tris and praiano cars is about the expected gap between them as seen from other testers results.

Like I said. 'Fallgate'.

I was going to stay out of this, but I thought I'd give a few of the other cars that are available to me a couple of laps, and then do the same with mine. I'm afraid I'll have to agree with all of you. My car is the fastest for me, but only by 8 hundredths. I did however see that 2-3 sec gap if I switched it to the SS tyres that are available on the car. It certainly wasn't shared with them on, but...

Detoxification, could I ask you very kindly to re-test my car, and also your next fastest so we can truly lay this to rest?

The time on Praianos car was within the realms of possibility given the gap to the others I guess , if it wasnt for the 2 second gap Tris car had id have gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I don't want to pile on but I agree the cars need to be retested under the same conditions as the other cars, in case of error in tire wear/srf etc.

When you look at the time differentials it really sticks out.

Going through all drivers and comparing their time in Praiano's car to their average lap you get the following differences:

+.4, .2, .3, .2, .3, .1, and -.1 All within a very narrow range indicating Praiano's car is slightly slower than the average entry. Average gap probably +.2 seconds.

For Detox the gap was -1.2 seconds from his average or -1.4 relative to the other drivers time gaps, and although on average he is the second slowest of the group with the results so far, his is the fastest lap for Praiano's car.

For Tris's car the results indicate an even bigger gap with time differentials from average of:

-.4, .7, .4, .6, .1, .2, 1.3 (Praiano) and +.1 , a very narrow range even including Praiano when you consider that's an average of around -.5 so even Praiano's time is just .8 seconds off the average driver.

Detox's gap in that car is -3.1 seconds faster than his average lap or about 2.6 seconds ahead of the average driver.

Just doesn't fit...

Last edited:
Not sure if detox is still checking the thread but I've asked that he ensure correct settings, aids, etc. and retest the car. Hopefully he will be able to do that quickly and we can get things sorted. If not, we'll burn that bridge if we get to it.

I appreciate folks keeping things civil and tactful. In using an honor system as we do it can be difficult to call things into question without offending and I thank everyone for keeping things in proper tone and in the spirit of the FITT guidelines. We will get this sorted out and make any necessary changes for the following events to keep things going smoothly. 👍

Psst, Onboy only had sports softs accidentally stuck on...

Which would've probably put his car down to a 1:25.0 for most people. :lol:

Yea, but the times were in fact in the 1:26-1:27 region, so that means the drivers must have changed the tyres back. Otherwise, I'd be in the top 10! :lol:

Dragonthing - 1'27.377
ACSR - 1'26.350
bigberry - 1'26.777

CyKosis - 1'26.627 - Feels very tight and produced a time quite a bit quicker than it felt.

Gotta be happy with that, feel like I'm holidng my own in the NC Roadster sub category. Thanks for your time and efforts Sir...

{Cy}

Just a friendly reminder to anyone who signed up as a test driver, who hasn't started submitting results or has an incomplete submission list that we only have a few more days left for testing.

Don't get caught out by leaving your testing to late.👍👍

CyKosis1973
Gotta be happy with that, feel like I'm holidng my own in the NC Roadster sub category. Thanks for your time and efforts Sir...

{Cy}

You are welcome. :) All four felt pretty different but bunched up nicely. Good drives all of them. 👍

Yours felt particularly tight as mentioned and was running at the back of the pack until I screwed up my line at the end of lap 6 or 7....and dropped about a second and a quarter. :D

Don't know who has checked recently but our resident score sheet expert,madmyk, has made a couple changes to the results. It's easier now to see the rankings. Thanks, myk!

MrGrado, I will update your times on the results shortly.

Hello everyone, I figured I would start this with a little introduction since I'm the new guy to the scene. I'm rallywagon, and I'll be driving your cars. I've been racing autox as well as back road racing in MI since 2000. I've spent the last 4 years autoxing in el paso, and getting into the car scene out there. A friend and I had started a small car club out there and won many awards for our cars. Since I've been back in mi. I haven't been I'm the scene yet. A number of life accurances have kept me from finishing my 1st gen rx7. So, being a huge gt, bmi, hot version and initial d fan, I've come here to get my tune and race fix. I hope I can bring something fresh to your community.

My driving style is a bit loose, I love to neutral steer corners, braking somewhat late and using trail braking and throttle control. My times and thoughts on the cats I've driven for this roadster run follow below:

My setting, all off, abs 1

xdesperado67
Chevy SSR 03
Best Lap: 1:30.144
Style: The styling of the SSR alone is fairly sharp with flairs from the 30s and 40s style hot rod. Though I'm not sure I would classify The SSR as a roadster, it certainly does have the looks and aggressive stance for it. I'm not personally a fan of bright colors, or chrome, but this seems to work.

Ride: In a word, smooth. You can really feel the weight in this ride, and it translates to a smooth, comfortable ride. the stiffness of the suspension was about perfect for this track. Under steer is a bit too abundant though. I am a neutral steer type of driver, and found that the weight really pushed the car into the corner, and I really had to throw the rear out there to get it around. That said, over steer was a breeze to control. he engine felt alright, and would have been great in a lighter vehicle. The trans however is the real let down here. with second gear being far to short, and making 3rd gear have to pull from further away from the power band. several times I found myself bouncing off the rev limiter.

Overall impression:
The truckster was better then I expected. Though it suffered from to much understeer, it didn't feel like it was ever really out of traction. All around it was smooth and mild.

Tris_73
Honda s2000 06
best lap time: 128.537
Style: This is a clean looking car! The whole package looks nice. Not over dramatic, or gaudy, which you see to often on a honda.

Ride: This car was a lot of fun to drive. The stiffness was good, though, perhaps the lsd was a bit to stiff, as the car was happy to get sideways. The engine and transmission both were great in this car.

Overall impression: Though I'm not a big Honda fan, this car is a good drive. Nimble and quick, it embodies the true essence of a roadster.

Krenkme
Chrysler Prowler 02
HP: 295 Torque: 287 Weight: 1351
Best Lap: 1:30.708

Style: This thing looks like the poor child of an F1 car and a garbage truck! Its bloated and almost cartoonish in its appearance and color, with the wing hardly helping in the whole charade.

Ride: Surprisingly neutral! This car is a beast. The engine is responsive and ready to throw down the 295 hp it has on tap. The top end was a little weak, but the torque really help propel it out of the corners. I feel the suspension was top notch on this car though, for its wide, long stance, and I could feel it! the car really had a good neutral feel to it, and never really felt like it was going to lose control. If you missed your apex, came in to hot, whatever you threw into it, you just let up a touch, scrub some speed and be on your way again.

Cykosis1973
Mazda Roadster RS (NC) 07
Best Lap: 1:29.798
Style: I like the burnt orange paint, it goes well with the darker colors of the top, rims and accents.

ride: small amount of under steer, perhaps the diff could be a little stronger. car felt light and easy to control. over a longer duration of laps or runs, this car would be my choice. Engine is nice for the car, and the trans shifts are all at the right spot.

Overall impression: so far, i like this car best. It felt very smooth and poised. i never felt the worry of the tail end jumping out on me, to the point that perhaps there was a touch to much understeer, though it was hardly an issue. this car grips well.

bigberry
best lap: 1.28.566
Style. so fresh and so clean.

ride: a little on the rough side, but the car gripped! I had to wing it to bring out any kind of hoonage. That said, this car was well balanced, minus the brakes. though the way they ended up working with my style of driving is probably why I was faster with this then the other mx5. After the brake for the corner, you could feel the front grab and throw off the cars balance. which worked well going from the hairpin into the sweeper. Engine was good, trans could have used the 6 speed though.

Overall Impression
Second fastest car so far, on a back road, this car would run tris_73s honda down after a few miles, its just much easier to drive.

Indy_racerfan
BMW Z4' 03
Best Lap: 1:29.108

Style: Nice! The color scheme is well done here, the hood goes well with the interior when the top is dropped. And the orange with gold rims works well. The look is very aggressive, and the canards add a lot to the look.

Ride: Nothing wild here. The suspension is nice, the normal bit of under steer that seems rampent in this pp level. Though I could get neutral steer in some corners, it was just a bit to soft. The trans didn't quite feel right for the course, though, perhaps the engine was a bit unenthusiastic.

Shmogt
Honda S2000 01
Best Lap: 128.900
Style: Grey! looks Kinda sleeper.

Ride: Wow! neutral! Best car in my opinion. brakes are a little touchy, but man, this car was well balanced, and felt great. The engine was great, the trans was always in the power band. Great tune!

Overall impression. With its sleeper, non standout look, and great ride, this car would kill out on the Japanese touge! This car was by far the best I tested. It was predictable and controllable. Fantastic.

Huskyfluff
Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '03
Best Lap: 1:28.579

Style: The car doesn't look bad, Im a fan of burnt orange type colors. But there is a bit of a mismatch between the rims and the hood. either the whole car should have been orange, or the rims a darker color.

Ride: Another great ride. very neutral in feel, though a bit softer then shmogt s2000, the car felt very balanced, and neitral steer was very nice and controlled in this car. the six speed in the miata is really the best trans for this course I think. The engine wasnt as frantic as the shmogt s2000, but rather, it was a bit calmer and helped me feel a bit calmer driving it.

Overall Impression: This is a tough call, I really like this car, and its a mazda to boot, something I would take over a honda any day. But the honda was a bit more like a small dog, yippy and hyper, where this was more of a, well, slightly bigger dog. I think I may like this one better.

Johnnypenso
bestlap: 1:28.496
Style: The styling wasnt bad. The luminscent paint was fun to look at and the rims were well choosen.

Ride: I think this was the easiest of the s2000's so far to drive. The others felt like they would murder your dog if you let them get a little out of line. But this one, it just wouldnt kick out its tail. The engine and trans were smooth, which again makes it stand out in the s2000's, as they were rabid hampsters on the wheel, this was maybe more the hampster that never comes out of the tp roll tube.

Overall Impression: Crazy this car gave me the fastest lap time. Maybe the complete lack of any oversteer forced me to really focus on my line and not red out those front tires.unfortunitly it makes for a some what boring ride.

Onboy123
Mitsubishi eclipse spyder GTS 03
Best Lap: 1:29.510

Style. Im sorry, I really am. I applaud you on being different. Being the only fwd, convertible not really a roadster. but this was the worst generation change of almost any car. its so ugly, and the generations before and after are so different from this one.

Ride: Not to bad. though i think the suspension was a too soft in the rear. I think it would have cornered far fast if the rear could be unsettled some. The engine was smooth though, and really pulled well from the bottom and holding a smooth power ban.

Overall impression: Uninspired looks and a soft ride. Perhaps the car clashed with my driving style, as I have really limited experience with fwd cars. But from the ones I have driven, this is top among them.

acrs421
Mazda roaster RS (NC) 07
Best Lap: 1:28.020

Style: Rims are a stand out here! A darker gold would have worked better in my opinion. I like the paint though, with the carbon

Ride: Man, the caliber of some of these cars is wild! This car was awesome! perfect balance. this car is a top pick for sure!

Overall Impression: This car is it! The trans was always in the right spot, the lsd was well balanced, the suspension was on point. But damn, those rims...!

Chrystalbuds
Honda S2000 06
best lap: 1:27.023

Stlye: This is what I goes through my head when I think of tuning a honda. bright, loud and rowdy (or broken). Not saying its a bad color scheme, this early 90s green with black accents. Probably a good safty feature at that. Its just what I expect to see on a honda.

Ride: Sharp, well balanced but tight. So even though its balanced, I felt like it was a tight balance, easy to tip one way or the other into over-understeer. But when you have it, it rewards you.

Overall impression: Why is it every time a rock out a great miata, I then find the s2000 counter part? And to the same conclusion. I pull a slightly faster time wit the honda, but enjoy the miata more. the miata feels more refined, never like its going to murder you in your sleep. The s2000 on the other hand, always feels like its on the edge, waiting to bite off your head.ITs fantastic and fast, but a little to frantic.

Rotary Junkie
Honda S2000 01
Best Lap: 1:27.083

Style: Blue is a good color. Stance is good. Looks mild for a honda though.

Ride: So damn smooth.this car was really quite predictable, another great s2k tune. I think the trans could have been a bit shorter. but this car was well balance. very good job

Overall impression: The car is an odd bit of a sleeper. By the mild, almost baby blue exterior, I would not think it much more then stock. But on the track, this car is a killer. This would be a real touge monster.

-raVer_
Chevy Corvette convert. 54
best Lap: 1:31.547

Style: Classic on classic here. White walls, black paint mixed in with that darker brown top, good lookin, and sure to turn heads

Ride: Slow and smooth is then name if this cars game. The engine had good low end grunt, but second gear could have been a touch longer, or perhaps thrid brought a little lower. I found myself often hitting the rev limiter or up shifting just to down shift a heartbeat later for a corner. the car also felt a bit to soft. no doubt good for the car it is, but just not up to par for the lighter, higher revving cars presented.

Overall Impression: Holy big American car batman! This car is far more spry then it was back in its hay day. But the old Muscle car just doesnt have the muster to run with the new breed of sports cars. The car feels good, and would make a great sunday cruiser, and a car to bring to the classic car track day. loosen up the suspension, tighten up the lsd, and I can see why these things are popular to drift as well.

Praiano63
Merc SLK 230 Kompressor 98
Best Lap: 129.048

Style: yep, its Merc.

Ride. This car was kinda strange. Most of the cars felt like they had a steady balance. I knew when I could jab the gas to get some over steer, or let up some and get the front to stop slipping, where to turn and how to gas to get neutral steer. This car though, the balanced seemed more dynamic with your driving style. oddly the, the harder I pushed it into corners, the more unndersteer showed up a corner, the slower, the more it would over steer. the trans felt a little short, but not so bad as others. Engine had good power down low.

Overall Impression: Ehh, its a Merc! I cant lie, I love Mercs sports cars. the old Evolution, the CLK, all the black versions. they make some good looking touring cars. This one included. The superchared 3.2 amg engine does the car well. The styling is, well, German, so I got what I expected, Simple, with function before form. Good all around car.

MadMyk
MG TF160 03
Best Lap: 1"28.292

Style: Finally, a roadster from the land roadsters hail from. Lovely take on the british racing green. Not a bad looking car

Ride: I like this car, I think its the smoothest yet. and while that doesnt translate into a fastest lap car, it would make a winner in a longer race. This car seems intuivite, almost like its predicting your turn in and throttle. I pulled the most consistant lap times with this car. with all but my first being within .7 seconds from one another. The engine sounded good, trans was good, and the suspension really helped keep that rear in check.

Overall Impression: Very good car. One that wouldnt wear you down lap after lap. classic good british looks mixed witha great drive put this car in my top picks.

sean10mm
Honda s2000 06
Best lap: 1:27.911

Style: Why honda, because GT spoiler! Haha, that paint and front lip, yep. Honda. I'm suprised by the wheel choice though. This is a premium car right? All in all, its not to bad though. the colors all do go well together. And Im sure this car will benefit from the extra down force.

Ride: These hondas are amazing! This cars brakes are amazing! I could brake so late, and I swear with a few more laps I could really get the best time with this car, it felt great, engine and trans went well with the track, suspension was tight and as i like to say, balanced and neutral. I dont think I could get the wheels into the red without doing a serious drift. Good job.

Overall Impression: These hondas are impressing me. This one is one of the top examples. The looks make a statement, without the need of sunglasses, and the ride bites as well as the looks bark.

VTiROj
Honda s2000 06
Best Lap: 1:27.876

Style: Gawdy and honda go together like two peas in a pod. All this chrome is gonna blind someone on the highway!

Ride: Thankfully this car drives much better then it looks. The car is fairly well balanced, being one of only a few cars that I found to be perhaps more on the oversteer side, which I prefer to to much understeer. Engine and trans was set up well for the track and seemed to be in the right rpm range going in and coming out of corners.

Overall Impression: Looks are a lot to a roadster, it must be sporty, but subtle. The paint and rims kinda detract from the subtle. But it is a honda. (ok, Ill stop my Honda hating) The car drove really well, and would make a good drift car with a harder tire.
________________________________________________________________________________
Top Picks
#3:
acrs421
Mazda roaster RS (NC) 07
Best Lap: 1:28.020
Thoughts: This car had good looks and a great drive to go along with it. This was the smoothest, best balanced car, and I would choose this one for longer races. It was consistent, and I didnt feel like I was fighting the car as much as my other choices.

#2:Rotary Junkie
Honda S2000 01
Best Lap: 1:27.083

The super sleeper look of this car is what really gets me. It just looks to normal to be this good! Great ride this.

sean10mm Chrystalbuds
Honda s2000 06 & Honda S2000 06
Best lap: 1:27.911 best lap: 1:27.023

Thoughts: I know, I know. TWO!?! What can I say, these two were the biggest stand outs to me. The brakes were top notch on sean10mm's car. With a few more laps (gave each 5, with some hooning laps there after) I would have been able to brake 1:26. This car just kept wanting to go deeper and deeper into the corner, and Im a late brake/trail brake kinda guy. But Chrystalbuds Honda was just as good, obviously with the best time of them all. This car though, felt like it would rip my head off if i slipped up a bit, and I like that, it makes it more rewarding when you get it right, and when you do, this car is blazing fast. Both of these hondas really had the essence of a honda and a roadster, bright, look at me styling, fast and nimble handling.

Final thoughts:
All these car are great! Thank you very much for letting me take them out and around the track. I hope I did some good testing and gave some insight. I've learned a lot from my experience and look forward to the next event.
I must say, this event kinda turned into a S2000 vs Miata battle. And sadly honda came out on top. The miatas felt better composed and consistent. While the Hondas were a little more wily. It was good fun all around.

Last edited:
Just finding this thread now. Looks like it started just as my Spec Miata SCCA season was wrapping up. Wish I could have participated. Love these roadsters. I'll look for the next one - maybe Rally cars in the snow?

I was looking at the results page for the Fall Roadster Battle and noticed something that I thought was interesting. With two tuners also driving, I thought for sure that their own tune would be their fastest time, well, because they built the tune for themselves. Praiano's own tune ranks 13th with him driving. And, XDesperado's ranks 7th when he's driving. Just though it was an interesting look at the numbers.

Just finding this thread now. Looks like it started just as my Spec Miata SCCA season was wrapping up. Wish I could have participated. Love these roadsters. I'll look for the next one - maybe Rally cars in the snow?

I was looking at the results page for the Fall Roadster Battle and noticed something that I thought was interesting. With two tuners also driving, I thought for sure that their own tune would be their fastest time, well, because they built the tune for themselves. Praiano's own tune ranks 13th with him driving. And, XDesperado's ranks 7th when he's driving. Just though it was an interesting look at the numbers.

Hey! Don't forget, I'm a tuner and tester as well! :lol:

Back