Please delete or lock this thread. Combined with original thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to seeing the finished product. However it is just a shame I live so far from you to do a photo shoot of the final product.

Damn! You did a great job getting that fastback on there. Give's do-it-yourself-ers a good name seeing those. Hope it all works out for you!

Now remember, you want a performance Ford Racing crate motor to put in there:idea:

Hey, that looks like nice work. I'm envious of your time, skills, and facilities!

Thanks again for all the compliments. It feels good to hear some of you appreciate all the hard work we did for a project as difficult as this. I added some stats above the pics in the first post. I will add more details to that some other day.
Oh as soon as the 200 I6 dies we will add a 302 V8. We wont build it to have as much power as my Camaro but it will still be a lot better with a V8 instead of the I6. Suspension upgrades, wheels, and much more will come as the years go by. Basically it will follow in similar footsteps as my Camaro and it will be built for road track racing. Basically another Pro-Touring build. :sly:

I dunno...it might be fun to build prototype parts for that Inline Six. You know, ITB intake, headers, cam, etc.

Might also look into the 289, as one can do quite a bit with that one. A family friend had a 302W in his '66 or '65, and it's caused him nothing but trouble.

Great work on the roof swap, it's shaping up really nice 👍

Are you considering a cage or partial cage with it being destined to be used often on track?

Thanks again for the replies. Yes we will be putting at least a 2 or 4 point roll cage into her car. Probably start with a 2 point then eventually add to it so its a 4 point. We need the 2 point so we can have the cross bar for the 5 point seat belts.
I still need to do this to my Camaro eventually too since I have been road track racing it for over 4 years. Its not that hard to do but I dont have a tube bender. They make plenty of bolt in roll bars so I could always go that route but I would rather make it myself so I can tuck it away from everything so its easier to get in and out of the car.

I ordered her racing seats 3 weeks ago and they still have not come in. Hopefully this week we will see them. Then we can bolt in her 5 point racing seat belts again. We already have the orange carpet.

*EDIT: I moved pic to first post

Last edited:
I love Mustangs, and the newer Gone in 60 Seconds is one of my favorite movies, so I definitely look forward to watching this project progress. Amazing job so far!

Fastback mustangs look mean! Great job on coupe to fastback surgery. I'll definately keep an eye on this thread

Looks like we are having really bad luck with these seats. Just got informed yesterday that they got damaged in shipping. Then the news gets worse. Now they have to wait 2 more weeks because those seats are out of stock.
I think I am going to just try to buy them from a different company that sells the same seats. This is rediculous. Wait 3 weeks for seats and now we have to wait another 2 weeks. BS.
So I think we are going to just install the carpet and old seats tomorrow. Then look at the brakes and take the car for a ride. We havent drove the car in 2 years.

Nice cutting!! That’s something we could use in Mexico since no fastbacks were sold here ‘till 71.

If I can say something, I think all-black interior would look better than the orange seats and carpet you’re installing, I’ve never liked body colour on the interiors; and if it’s gonna be orange, be it a very dark orange!!! No red, but very dark (: so the contrast is strong; what wheels?

Welded some more of the fastback structure to the car for extra strength and support. After that I removed 2 of the reinforcment bars that were in the car before the conversion. Then we temporarily installed the orange carpet and floor mats just to see how they look. We also had to replace the master cylinder gasket because it was so old it actually melted and decinigrated. Never seen that before.
After all that we finally drove it again. Its been 2 years since we had it on the road and we put on a good 20-30 miles this weekend. It has a really bad bog when taking off from idle. Its actually quite frustrating since I had the carb rebuilt twice. I think its something with the accelerator pump adjustment. Other than that the car ran real well. The front tires are still toed out a little so I am going to adjust the tie rod at least 1-2 more threads to get the alignment closer. Still a long way to go but at least its on the road again. :)
There is a local car show this Tuesday and we are going to try to bring her car to that as a work in progress (WIP).
EDIT: Added 9 pics. Just remember the car will be orange and white when finished. Looks like our racing seats are out of stock so its going to be at least another 2-3 weeks before we get them.

deleted pics

Last edited:
It may be the accelerator pump, but also check inside the distributor. The vacuum advance might not be kicking your timing forward when you open the throttle.

It may be the accelerator pump, but also check inside the distributor. The vacuum advance might not be kicking your timing forward when you open the throttle.
It only happens just out of idle and thats even if I feather the throttle. I have a couple ideas what it could be. If I floored it the car would die for sure. I am talking about just trying to take off easy from a dead stop and sometimes it stalls.
1. Vacuum leak
2. Accelerator pump
3. automatic choke is sticking closed or not opening far enough

Man, congrats on the project. It's looking GREAT! Lot's of hard work for sure! Can't wait to see how it progresses!

*subscribing to thread*

Man, congrats on the project. It's looking GREAT! Lot's of hard work for sure! Can't wait to see how it progresses!

*subscribing to thread*

Thanks Pako. Most of the car is still in the mock up stages so some things might seem like they dont match. The orange carpet is actually a LOT brighter than the pics show but with my 8-9 year old camera it just doesnt come out right. Looks redish in the pics.
When the car is finished everything will be white and orange including the interior and will match a lot better than it does right now.
Thanks for those that understand the mock up process and the early stages of this build. 👍

The fastback saw its very first car show last night. Its just a local car show with about 100 cars but the event itself was very exciting. While we were there Heathers mom showed up in her 73 mustang that we finished building for her this year. It was the first car show her mom ever put a car into in her entire life. The event was such a great experience. My mom even showed up after a few minutes. Both Heather and her mom had a great time showing of their cars and Heathers 67 Mustang got a LOT of positive attention. It truly was a rewarding experience after all the hard work Heather and I have put into both Mustangs. I couldnt stop smiling seeing the cars side by side like that. Some time I would love to have my 69 Camaro down there with both Mustangs.
EDIT: Pics moved to first post

Last edited:
Beautiful car. I worked on my neighbors 68' Mustang up until it was finished back when I was a freshman.

did you ever get your seats bro ???
Funny you bring that up. I ordered them on July 22nd and after about 100 phone calls I will possibly finally be getting them Monday October the 13th. Over 2 1/2 months of wating. I told them last friday the 10th that if I didnt have a tracking number by the end of the day I would call the Better Business Bureau. 👎 I had a tracking number 2 hours later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back