PS3 General Discussion

Foolkiller, those mock-up posters are great. Not sure how good they would be to potential customers as you have to own a Playstation to know what most of the characters / objects are! :) Still, makes me realise how quickly the no-games critisism has been remidied by Sony. Great exclusive IPs there.

Fixed:)

DN, those mock-up posters are great. Not sure how good they would be to potential customers as you have to own a Playstation to know what most of the characters / objects are! :) Still, makes me realise how quickly the no-games critisism has been remidied by Sony. Great exclusive IPs there.
They do have the names of the games the characters relate to across the top.

👍

to be fair their avatars, premium user names, and posting quality makes it easy to get them confused. In fact, I'm just going to start collectively referring to them as DigiFool Nitriller.

to be fair their avatars, premium user names, and posting quality makes it easy to get them confused. In fact, I'm just going to start collectively referring to them as DigiFool Nitriller.
Perhaps it is time to switch back to my titular avatar.

^^lol.

I picked up the Sega Genesis Collection. i really dont know why since I have every Genesis rom on my computer, lap top and PSP... Impulse buy I guess.

I might be getting another Xbox360. PS3's racing game drought is getting to me. Just want it for Test Drive, PGR3 & 4, Forza2 (i dont really know why) and Moto GP. No wi-fi sucks though.

Janco Partners analyst predicts PS3 price cut announcement "in the next couple of days."

http://www.edge-online.com/news/analyst-ps3-price-cut-chatter-rising
The PS3 is in dire need of a price cut if Sony wants to fend off competition at retail, analyst Mike Hickey with Janco Partners said in a Tuesday research note.

A price cut announcement for PS3 could come even sooner than some would expect. The analyst said, "Recent channel checks indicate increased speculation for a PS3 price cut announcement from Sony in the next couple of days."

Hickey added, "We think the company needs to reduce the current price by $100 to effectively restart unit velocity at retail. ... We believe the market is expecting a PS3 price cut in April or by June (E3) at the latest...

"If Sony does not cut the price of their console, we expect the continuation of languishing PS3 hardware sales and the potential for publishers to accelerate their reallocation of resources away from the PS3 console."

The standard 80GB PS3 retails for $399. A price cut for the PS3, Hickey said, could act as a catalyst for videogame-related stock in the publishing and retail sectors.

Hickey also passed on rumors of a radical change in the PS3 hardware strategy: "We are also hearing continued speculation that Sony is working on a non-Blu-ray PS3 console, which could enable them to make the aforementioned hardware price reduction."

Such a move would fracture the PS3 user base, software library and development community, as all disc-based PS3 games on the market today are on high-capacity Blu-ray. The Blu-ray component, however, has been cited as a primary reason that the PS3 debuted as the most expensive console on the market.

Sony is meeting with publishers and retailers this week in Arizona for the company's annual Destination PlayStation event, where the firm announced a slew of new software for the PSP in particular today, including LittleBigPlanet, Assassin's Creed and Rock Band for the handheld.

Maybe it is financially necessary to produce a non-bluray spec PS3 but if true I can't imagine this will go over well with the publishers. What, would they then have to mfr a game in both DVD and BR formats or does the non-BR model owner just not have the opportunity to play certain games that are solely released on BR discs? No idea on the credibility of the source, but it sounds kinda off to me.

Last edited:
No idea on the credibility of the source, but it sounds kinda off to me.

It's Fat Tuesday... maybe they've been drinking one too many Hurricanes? ;)

Laissez les bons temps roulez!

In all seriousness though, a price cut is certainly on the horizon, and one doesn't have to be a terribly clever industry analyst to see that coming, but they would have to be pretty daft to believe at this point a PS3 without a Blu-ray player will ever become available... especially now that the Blu-ray drives have come down significantly in price.

I do not know what the panic is, PS3 is doing good, though it could do better. PS sales only seem so bad becuase they are being compared to the WII and the 360. Of course, if Sony were chasing figures as obessively as MS, and sold the PS3 at a huge loss, things would be different. PS3 sales are not too far behind the 360, at least if comparing from the date when the ps3 was released up until now which is impressive seing how exspensive a PS3 is!! I really don't think the 360 would hold a sales lead if the price was same as the PS3 from day 1. Lets face it, the PS3 is a quality bit of equipment and worth the £300! IMO

As production costs come down, Sony will drop the price, but still break even, or make a little as they are doing now. A price drop won't come before the cost to manufactering comes down!! Also, if Sony are hardly breaking even now, why on earth would they slash the price now only to suffer a loss?

The way I see it, the ball is very much in Sony's court now, we have many what look like quality upcoming exclusives, and things will start to change for the good when Killzone 2 is released. There will be a surge in PS3 sales, some will be XBOX and PC owners wanting a slice of the action. Other promising exclusives are on the way, as well as GT5. Maybe sony's 10 year plan was not BS after all, because I see this period as a turning point, with Sony just now stepping up a gear. MS....Watch out, PS3 has finally awoken!!!!

Last edited:
I do not know what the panic is, PS3 is doing good

I suspect because it makes for a good story to draw people into those sites, regardless of the accuracy of the story.

The way I see it, the ball is very much in Sony's court now, we have many what look like quality upcoming exclusives, and things will start to change for the good when Killzone 2 is released.

Many would say the change already occurred a long time ago, as hinted by those posters FoolKiller found and in articles like this from a very highly respected tech site:

The PS3 Doesn't Need to Arrive, It's Already Here
Posted on Feb 15,2009 by Ben Kuchera of Ars Technica
Gamers need to stop worrying about the sales numbers of the PS3 and arguing over the merits of PlayStation Home. The truth is that the system is flush with excellent, exclusive games, and we're way past the point where you can call yourself a hardcore gamer and not own the hardware. Ars makes the case that you shouldn't wait for the PS3 to arrive: it has been here for a while now.

PlayStation fans seem to be waiting for some sea change in sales of the PlayStation 3 platform, which causes unrealistic hopes to be put on each and every high-profile game released for the system. There's a reason that flame wars erupt over the launch of games like Killzone 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4; an inordinate amount of importance is placed on each of these exclusive titles. And sales of the system remain unimpressive, which has caused even more hand-wringing and/or crowing about the state of the PS3.

If you are a serious fan of video games, however, the system has been a must-buy for longer than many gamers seem to think. While we can debate the importance of casual gaming and the success of the Wii, the fact remains that if you skip the PlayStation 3 this generation, you're going to have gaping holes in your knowledge of the state of the art.

The PlayStation 3 has big-budget shooters covered; Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 are solid competition for anything the Xbox 360 has, but that's not what's going to move systems. What makes the PS3 an important system are the smaller games that are bound to become cult hits while informing the next generation of game developers about what can and can't be done.

Sony was the first company to meld trading cards with interactivity in a way that actually made sense, even if Eye of Judgment didn't become a runaway hit. Trials of Topoq used the PlayStation Eye to turn what looked like a puzzle game into a relaxing stretching exercise. Wii Fit may be grabbing all the sales, but Sony created the first game that seems to almost trick you into doing what looks and feels like a Tai Chi work out.

We can go on, and I think we should. LittleBigPlanet took simple platforming and mixed in some powerful content-creation tools; it became the first game that you can browse with friends... every time you turn it on you can see something new and exciting.

Everyday Shooter took the dual-analog control scheme that has become irritatingly common on downloadable titles and added guitar-based music and wonderful design to turn a tired genre into something approaching art. The fact that Sony saw something in Jonathan Mak and gave him a home on the PS3 speaks well of the company's dedication to nurturing talent; Mak's is a mind that will give us great things in the future.

You also have to consider the just-released Flower when talking about games that try to do something different and succeed at melding emotions and style into an entertaining experience. Most "games-as-art experiments" forget that we're looking for—something that's worth sitting down and playing, and Flower does not fall into that trap. It's also one of the rare games that stands alone. Can you point to anything else that's like it? Other than the spiritual prequel flOw, which was also created by Jenova Chen and thatgamecompany, that is.

We don't have to gaze at our navels and talk about art to find singular games on the games, either. Metal Gear Solid 4 may have featured a somewhat overwrought story—what Hideo Kojima game doesn't?—but it was also a grand experiment in how to meld film with video games. Whether the game was successful or not, it's worth sitting down to experience a game that isn't afraid to keep you watching the story. While the talk of the length of the cutscenes was big news around the time the reviews came out, now we need to use the game to learn what we can about how cut-scenes that long should be used... if at all. But you have to play to have an informed opinion, and there's only one place to do so.

Another AAA title for the system? Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. This was a game that Frank and I argued over, as I felt that the game was going to be completely run over by the glut of games released alongside it; it felt like an also-ran before it even hit the shelves. But an hour or two into the actual gameplay and we were making phone calls; this was the game that caused us to bump Mass Effect off the front page to make room for a multi-page Uncharted review. Even today I don't regret the choice; Drake's Fortune gave us an amusingly human set of characters and set them on an incredible adventure. When a video game so easily trumps the newest Indiana Jones movie and steals most of the good things that made that film series so endearing, you know you're on to something special. We have high hopes for the sequel.

People complain about Sega not showing the love of quality or the flair for the unexpected that the company was known for years ago, but the PS3-exclusive Valkyria Chronicles did piles of things right and may well become one of the best games that almost no one plays this generation. While information on sales of the game is hard to come by, people are still talking about it and will continue to do so for some time. Don't let the snooty nature of some of the fans scare you away; this is a welcoming and beautiful strategy title.

Should I go on? PixelJunk Monsters was the reigning king of the tower defense genre on consoles... until Savage Moon came out. Speaking of the PixelJunk series, Eden is another game that has carved out its own home on the system, and these titles all deserve the somewhat rabid following they enjoy online.

When we're talking about games you can buy on the PlayStation Network, it's impossible to ignore Wipeout HD. A fast, beautiful, almost impossibly polished entry in the world of racing games. This is what we prayed games would look like when we were growing up. The fact that a game this good is available via download for only $20 shows just how much power Sony has harnessed by packing in a hard drive with every system and fully embracing digital distribution. When you can buy Burnout Paradise for $20 on the PlayStation Network and get the entire game with the slew of patches that have been released since launch, you see just how much Sony has outclassed Microsoft on this front.

The PS3 has arrived

Gamers spend way too much time arguing about whether or not Home is going to be huge. It's certainly part of the story, but the flagging online service has nothing to do with the life and death of the PS3 as a system that can play great games. It's the same thing with the sales numbers; people like to know how products are doing, and looking at sales data tells us much about where we're going and how fast we're getting there, but you can't miss the forest for the trees—neither of these two things affects the fact that the PlayStation is absolutely ablaze with brave, new, exclusive games.

This article contains no forward-looking statements. We left out all the great cross-platform games and titles that will be released in the coming years. These are games that are finished, that you can buy at the store or online right now. If you have a PS3 and have a love of games, you will run out of time and money before you run out of games to buy.

I keep hearing jokes that "next year" is perpetually the answer to the question of when the PS3 will take off, but those of us who are able to walk away from the argument know the right answer: the system is in orbit already.

Last edited:
"If you are a serious fan of video games, however, the system has been a must-buy for longer than many gamers seem to think. While we can debate the importance of casual gaming and the success of the Wii, the fact remains that if you skip the PlayStation 3 this generation, you're going to have gaping holes in your knowledge of the state of the art."

That is one of the best statements I've heard come out of the videogame industry for a long time. The PS3 had me with Ridge Racer 7 at 1080p/60fps.

Just thought I would share the following with everyone, as it may help a few.

I've always (from launch in the UK until yesterday) ran my PS3 wireless and while I've not in the past had any major problems I have had a few niggles. The occasional sign-out of PSN and not ever being able to find matches in certain games or game modes (GTi Club and Zombie in CoD:WAW).

So I thought I would give wired a go, after all £4 for a ten metre length of LAN cable is not exactly going to break the bank.

Cable arrived yesterday and once I had got it under the carpet (visible cables + wife = grief) I changed the set-up on the PS3 (and that alone is much easier than a wireless connection).

Sign-in to PSN now seems quicker ad I have been able to get into the Zombie co-op on WaW with no hassle (in the past it would sit searching for a match and never find one) and GTi club allowed me to join a race (in the past it would always kick me on joining).

Now it could of course all just be a coincidence, but its worth a try if anyone else is having/has problems of this nature, certainly I'm going to be sticking with it.

Regards

Scaff

The PS3 Doesn't Need to Arrive, It's Already Here[/URL]
Posted on Feb 15,2009 by Ben Kuchera of Ars Technica

Most of the unique games mentioned there though have at least an equivalent on other consoles. They're all good games (apart from the last few mentioned IMO) but that article doesn't take into account the other choices you have if you just want a cheap console to have a blast on.

For me, the PS3 is finally coming into it's own lately. Pacific Rift got me back into playing the console a lot more, and it continued with LBP (Now that's ended unfortunately) and Flower, and when Killzone 2 comes out I'll have to dust off my 360 if I want to play it. The Blu Ray playback has also become VERY useful now I've finally got some money to buy some films :) I'm also saving up for a DS3 so I can get my rumble back!

Now that I think about it, there isn't anything up and coming exclusive to the 360 that has me interested!

I've always (from launch in the UK until yesterday) ran my PS3 wireless and while I've not in the past had any major problems I have had a few niggles. The occasional sign-out of PSN and not ever being able to find matches in certain games or game modes (GTi Club and Zombie in CoD:WAW).

So I thought I would give wired a go, after all £4 for a ten metre length of LAN cable is not exactly going to break the bank.

Cable arrived yesterday and once I had got it under the carpet (visible cables + wife = grief) I changed the set-up on the PS3 (and that alone is much easier than a wireless connection).

Sign-in to PSN now seems quicker ad I have been able to get into the Zombie co-op on WaW with no hassle (in the past it would sit searching for a match and never find one) and GTi club allowed me to join a race (in the past it would always kick me on joining).

Now it could of course all just be a coincidence, but its worth a try if anyone else is having/has problems of this nature, certainly I'm going to be sticking with it.

Regards

Scaff

I agree, having also ran my PS3 wireless since launch aswell as a refurb I got a couple of months back, without any noticable problems. Until one day the wireless just wouldn't work, I was annoyed at this as the refurb was only a few weeks old and was thinking about asking for another. So I had to connect with a wired connection, you can definitely notice how much quicker it signs in, it just seems better, so I probably will just keep this PS3 and leave it connected with the wire.

Janco Partners analyst predicts PS3 price cut announcement "in the next couple of days."
This is pure nonsense, as shown by the non-BD comments. It would prevent any new PS3 owner from playing older games.

This is as silly as the thought of the switching to Blu-Ray on their next 360 sku.

A wired connection for any device has the distinct advantage of being able to bypass all issues that can often come up due to the complexities of WiFi, the necessary settings, and problems with many WiFi routers. So if it is reasonable to due, I too would highly recommend using an Ethernet cable... especially for media streaming and transferring large files to and from your PS3 to other computers on your network, as you can take advantage of that awesome 1000BASE-X gigabit Ethernet!

That said, with the right ISP service, router and correct settings, it is also quite possible to enjoy a trouble free 15Mb/s connection on your PS3 via WiFi. I used to get occasional disconnects, as well as a max download of speed of only 1Mb/s until I switched routers over a year ago. Since then it's been smooth sailing! 👍

Most of the unique games mentioned there though have at least an equivalent on other consoles.

The article was about questioning the myth that so many PS3 critics spread about how there are very few good games for the PS3 and that it's always what coming up, and not what's already available.

However, seeing as you brought it up - can you actually list the games that are truly equivalent, as I'm a fan of most of them and if there are really equivalent exclusive games on other consoles I'd buy them. Thanks. 👍
  1. Gears of War? = Resistance
  2. Gears of War 2? = Resistance 2
  3. Halo 3? = Killzone 2
  4. ? = Eye of Judgment
  5. ? = Trials of Topoq
  6. ? = LittleBigPlanet
  7. Rez HD? = Everyday Shooter
  8. ? = Flower
  9. ? = Flow
  10. ? = Metal Gear Solid 4
  11. ? = Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  12. ? = Valkyria Chronicles
  13. ? = PixelJunk Monsters
  14. ? = Savage Moon
  15. ? = PixelJunk Eden
  16. ? = WipEout HD

Not to mention many of the great, highly rated games they left out like:
  1. Forza 2 = Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (although Forza 2 is clearly a much bigger game)
  2. ? = MotorStorm 2: Pacific Rift
  3. ? = MotorStorm
  4. ? = Ferrari Challenge (yes, it's available on the Wii but if you play it you'll wish you had the PS3 version)
  5. ? = Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
  6. ? = Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
  7. Lips? = SingStar (although based on aggregate reviews and content, Lips falls well short by comparison)
  8. ? = Buzz! Quiz TV
  9. ? = Eternal Sonata
  10. Left 4 Dead? = SIREN: Blood Curse
  11. ? = Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
  12. ? = Folklore
  13. ? = SOCOM: Confrontation
  14. ? = Warhawk
  15. ? = Heavenly Sword
  16. ? = Echochrome
  17. ? = Elefunk
  18. ? = Operation Creature Feature
  19. ? = Crash Commando
  20. ? = The Last Guy
  21. Beautiful Katamari? = Noby Noby Boy
  22. ? = LocoRoco Cocoreccho
  23. ? = Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
  24. ? = PAIN
  25. ? = High Velocity Bowling
  26. ? = Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
  27. ? = Calling All Cars
  28. ? = Super Stardust HD
  29. ? = Super Rub-a-dub
  30. ? = High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition

There is no doubt every console past and present has some great exclusive games, including the 360 and Wii that have no equivalent game on the PS3 - like;
  • Mass Effect
  • Dead Rising
  • Fable 2
  • Ace Combat 6
  • PGR4
  • DOA4
  • Braid
  • Viva Pinata
  • World of Goo
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2008 93
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
  • No More Heroes
  • Mario Kart
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Fit

However, to suggest there are equivalent exclusive games on other consoles for the majority of PS3 exclusive games does not appear to be very reasonable, not in the least... not without drastically stretching the boundaries of what it means to be "equivalent".

Last edited:
:lol: I'm not going to get into a massive argument about this, you'll only end up correcting me on my defintion of 'equivalent' for them not being exactly the same. I was just pointing out that the article could have used a little balance is all.

I've got better things to do with my life than look up lists of video games. Must you try and shout down other members every single time somebody says something that doesn't agree with your obsession with your console?

:lol: I'm not going to get into a massive argument about this,

It doesn't have to be an argument if you say things that are true and can support your opinion without exaggerating facts. 👍

I was just pointing out that the article could have used a little balance is all.

And yet the article had nothing to do with the quality of 360 or Wii games... so why criticize it for a topic that it wasn't even discussing?

I've got better things to do with my life than look up lists of video games. Must you try and shout down other members every single time somebody says something that doesn't agree with your obsession with your console?

That isn't it at all... there are many opinions expressed that I don't necessarily agree but they don't exaggerate the facts or post misleading information to try and support it. ... that's the difference.

EDIT: And just to be clear... I wasn't making this an argument... I was simply asking you to provide actual info that supported your comment, as you quite clearly said as a point of fact that:

Most of the unique games mentioned there though have at least an equivalent on other consoles.

Now what surprised me even more is that if you truly felt this way, then you would also clearly have to have already known exactly what games you considered to be equivalent... otherwise you were not being honest.

Furthermore, in your last post you say you have better things to do with your life than look up lists of video games... so clearly you didn't and don't know what equivalent games there are and that they are equivalent to most of the ones mentioned... because if you did, there would be no need to look them up, and you could easily list them, right?

Perhaps the question you should ask yourself is not why I and others have an issue with people who post misleading or false comments, but rather why is it some people seem to have a hard time posting an opinion without exaggerating, or posting false or misleading comments? :odd:

TIP: If you don't like people asking you to back up your statements with actual facts, and don't like getting into arguments over it... I suggest you stop exaggerating and or knowingly post false or misleading information - problem solved. 👍

Last edited:
How would you play PS3 games without a blu ray player?
Speculation seems to keep propping up the digital distribution angle, which still doesn't deal with how inane the idea is. The only way they would be able to sell it without a Blu-Ray drive is if they sold it for less than the cheapest 360, and I can't imagine a sub $200 PS3 being a profit maker (BD drive or not) even if they did manage to sell any.

I rented Heavenly Sword but every time I boot up it the game it says it needs to be updated to 1.10, I choose OK and that takes me to a "Please Wait..." screen. After about 15 seconds the PS3 goes "BEEPBEEPBEEP" and just goes to a black screen, but doesn't shut off... :odd:

thats odd. I have a similar issue when i go to update a game after quitting a previously played game. It goes to the update screen, 3 beeps and reboots. I then need to start the game again and it will update fine.

Is it possible the heavenly sword update is down on the server you are on? Try launching the game while logged into an account for a different region (if you have one)

Is it possible the heavenly sword update is down on the server you are on? Try launching the game while logged into an account for a different region (if you have one)

Just tried, same thing. I'm gonna just disable the internet connection.

I was just pointing out that the article could have used a little balance is all.
Technically the article was just pointing out that the talk of the PS3 not arriving is silly because it is here. There is nothing to balance it against. They didn't say you should have it over anything else, they just said that if you consider yourself a tech guy not having it is a mistake.

The games were merely used as evidence to show the PS3 is here. Even if you could match title for title with a similar game on another system it wouldn't make a difference to what the article is saying. The PS3 has games galore, the PS3 is a technical beauty, the PS3 has arrived.

Saying, whatever, is equal to MGS4 does not take away from that at all.

I mean, the new Dante's Inferno game is looking eerily like God of War III (and nothing like the book). It doesn't make God of War III or the PS3 suddenly pointless.

Now, if the article had said to forget your 360 or Wii, then you would have a point. I just think you misunderstood the point of the article. Unless you felt the PS3 was a useless hunk of plastic you have no disagreement with this article.

Speculation seems to keep propping up the digital distribution angle, which still doesn't deal with how inane the idea is. The only way they would be able to sell it without a Blu-Ray drive is if they sold it for less than the cheapest 360, and I can't imagine a sub $200 PS3 being a profit maker (BD drive or not) even if they did manage to sell any.
And I say that this digital distribution talk is still all useless. Who in their right mind wants to wait on the downloads for MGS4, LBP, or Killzone 2? Those three right there are over 100GB combined.

Just tried, same thing. I'm gonna just disable the internet connection.
The game is so short you'll beat the game before you figure out the issue.

I wish Sony hadn't basically shut down Heavenly Sword 2. It is a good game that just needed some length and replayability. Heck, if they added trophies I would have bothered with going full completionist. Instead all I got were making of videos that could be downloaded from the store for free.

I am now in the 1080p club. Just bought a 42in LG 1080p. I will be without internet for a whole week. Ouch, thats worse than not having a cell phone. Or I'll use my blackberry ;) Its ok but not as good as ps3 browsing.

I found an awesome article on Three Speech about stepping back a generation to remember the good games:

http://threespeech.com/blog/2009/02/getting-into-timesplitters-then-play-timesplitters-2/

Getting into Timesplitters? Then Play Timesplitters 2

Jon Porter of The Clockwork Manual is back with his latest article - a look at Timesplitters 2.

Everyone has their childhood sweetheart of a game. That one series, which made you fall in love with gaming, which you sunk countless hours into instead of perhaps more productive things, that one game that always got played on Friday nights in. Mine was Timesplitters. The simply divine multiplayer mayhem, complete with dozens of bots and complemented by three – in retrospect insane - companions took hold of those blissful Sunday afternoons and refused to give them back, instead displaying them proudly on a statistics page, proof to this day of its undeniable hold over me.

Timesplitters 2 was where the problem nay, relationship really picked up. Aside from the graphical overhaul from its predecessor it also improved the single player mission structure tenfold, giving you a wide and varied set of objectives in each level rather than what were essentially fetch quests. It would be taking it a step too far to say that TS2 had a great overarching story, but it did its job, giving you an excuse to visit the different time zones that make up the game. Cortez may be a space marine on a mission to collect the time crystals scattered throughout history but within each level he takes on a completely different persona, who adds his own objectives to your goals. Harry Tipper for example, needs to prevent an evil super genius from taking over the world, whilst others will be investigating an underground hacker association. Every level has its own tale to tell, made all the more appealing by a host of oddball characters.

To say that each world possesses more character than most other games manage in there entirety would be an understatement, but not all of it comes from Free Radical themselves. Each mission is a love letter to either a film genre, or one piece of cinematography in particular. The second level, Chicago, takes obvious inspiration from the gangster films of old whilst a later Aztec location reeks of Indiana Jones. Blade Runner fans should find lots to love in NeoTokyo, and it won’t take a hardcore Riddick lover to spot Cortez’s obvious resemblance to one Vin Diesel. Taking things a step further, Free Radical also made every character playable in multiplayer, letting you take the role of that Russian guard you so lovingly capped back in Siberia.

It would be arrogant to say that the developers made the most technically impressive game ever created, but the package as a whole is made infinitely more appealing by its offbeat vibe and charm. The lack of an aiming reticule lets you focus your attention more on the environment than the HUD as well as making those accidental headshots all the more impressive. You’ll never find Timesplitters taking itself the least bit seriously, and whilst it never outright tries to make a funny, the absurdity of some situations never fails to bring a smile to the face of everyone present. As an example take one of the game’s ‘challenge’ modes – in themselves a huge addition to the single player story - which tasks you with taking down a rogue school of calamari who have unexplainable grown to human proportions. This isn’t a game a non-gamer will laugh at, it’s one they’ll laugh with.

When delving into the treasures of a previous console generation there’s always a drop in graphical quality that some gamers just can’t ignore. Whilst the polygon count on a PS2 game is never going to be as high as today’s modern shooters the stylised art style employed by TS2 means that even today the game still looks good. Levels have a simple feel to them, but they’re all very distinct from each other, which aside from meaning that you’re never left feeling deja vu throughout the campaign mode also ensures that you’ll never lose yourself in a multiplayer match, searching desperately for a man they call Tyler Durden. Wait…let me start over…

Timesplitters 2 is a simply amazing multiplayer experience. It’s not something you drop into for a couple of hours and come out not wanting more. It’s charm and style are undeniable, but it’s not going to hit you round the head with it’s own narrative. Timesplitters is the conman of video games whereas others are the thieves. You’re always going to give your time to it willingly, even if you’re oblivious as to why.

I am now in the 1080p club. Just bought a 42in LG 1080p. I will be without internet for a whole week. Ouch, thats worse than not having a cell phone. Or I'll use my blackberry ;) Its ok but not as good as ps3 browsing.

I'm pretty sure you could use your blackberry to browse the internet on the PS3.

Back