PS3 General Discussion

Wow anyone else been playing the RE5 demo? Awesomely fun especially the co op mode. It's definitely hard though!

I've given it a go and while it looks stunning it still has the 'classic' RE controls in place and they still suck.

Honestly I can't understand why they have not been given an overhaul after all these years, not being able to move and fire at the same time is simple daft, particularly given the number of enemies on screen in RE5.

A big miss for me this one.

Regards

Scaff

My 8 games are

Gran turismo 5 prologue
Assassins creed
Mercenaries 2
Far cry 2
Resistance 2
Uncharted - drakes fortune
Battlefield - bad company
Ferrari challenge
I know Prologue has anywhere from 2-6GB, even more if you use GTTV a lot. Uncharted doesn't take up too much space. Just about 100MB for updates.

I don't have the others.

Some research is showing the following installs:
Mercenaries 2: ~3GB
Far Cry 2: ~3.5GB
Resistance 2: ~350MB

And I am going to assume you have not purchased any games from the PlayStation Store?

Anyway, those alone put you anywhere from 9GB to 13GB.

Then you say you have
200 pictures in photo gallery, 1200 music songs & about 10 PS3 trailers.
What size are your pictures? It doesn't take long to use up a gig or two with my 5 megapixel camera.

And the 1200 songs: Let's assume they are average 3.5MB each. 1200*3.5=4.2GB. If they are long songs or you have made them higher quality you could easily double that space.

And which PS3 trailers are we talking about? SD, 720p, 1080p? I am going to assume those take up a minimum of 1GB.

So, with just this info I can already account for nearly 20GB. Have you done any add-on packs for any of your games? That adds to their size.

Trust me, it is deceptively easy to fill up 40GB.

BTW, if i bye a new PS3 on put my same PSN ID as the current one. what happens to all your PSN friends or do i have to send 100 friend request again.
So if i put my current PSN ID onto a new PS3, all my friend i made be tranferd to the new PS3.
Yes, your friends list will pop up on any system you log in on. The friend's list is not saved on the hard drive, but the network.

I know Prologue has anywhere from 2-6GB, even more if you use GTTV a lot.

Funny you should mention that one, as I checked mine last night.

If you have all the free GTTV videos then you total game data file for Prologue alone will be just under 10GB.

You can go and delete these off from the GTTV option within Prologue, which may free up a bit of space.

Regards

Scaff

FOOLKILLER, Music has 1163 songs equalling 4159 MB & pictures are in 5 groups

1 = 3550 KB
2 = 3244 KB
3 = 6523 KB
4 = 6208 KB
5 = 823 KB

Mercenaries 2 = 2753 MB
Assassins creed = 1370 MB
Ferrari challenge = 79 MB
GT5P = 8185 MB
Battlefield = 505 MB
Resistance 2 = 333 MB
Far cry 2 = 2950 MB
Uncharted = 13 MB

PS3 trailers = 1307 MB

So,i have no idea what the total is.

------------------------------

It might be a good idea if sameone created a new thread with list of game saying how much memory thay take up. it might help others to see if thay have enough memory to play certain games.

Last edited:
It might be a good idea if sameone created a new thread with list of game saying how much memory thay take up. it might help others to see if thay have enough memory to play certain games.
I don't think anyone ever thought about it since they usually list it on the back of the box.

FOOLKILLER, Music has 1163 songs equalling 4159 MB & pictures are in 5 groups

1 = 3550 KB
2 = 3244 KB
3 = 6523 KB
4 = 6208 KB
5 = 823 KB

Mercenaries 2 = 2753 MB
Assassins creed = 1370 MB
Ferrari challenge = 79 MB
GT5P = 8185 MB
Battlefield = 505 MB
Resistance 2 = 333 MB
Far cry 2 = 2950 MB
Uncharted = 13 MB

PS3 trailers = 1307 MB

So,i have no idea what the total is.

------------------------------

About 21,674mb or almost 22 gigabytes
1,000kb = 1 mb
1,000 mb = 1 gb

At the risk of starting up a fresh debate, I found this interesting, especially considering the people who say one console downloads slower than another.

MTV Multiplayer did a very unscientific test comparing the three consoles download speeds.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/02/which-console-downloads-games-fastest/

PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360: Which Console Downloads Games Fastest?
Posted by Stephen Totilo on 2/2/09 at 4:00 pm.

We pitted the three major consoles against each other, to see which one can download games the most quickly. “Mega Man 9” — at least initially — was the guinea pig on our XBox 360s, Wiis and PS3s…

I’ve long suspected that my Nintendo Wii is a slowpoke.

All three of my consoles are connected to the same WiFi signal, one the emanates from my landlord’s apartment a floor below mine (we split the bill). When I download games and demos, they always seem to take longest on the Wii.

This past weekend, I convinced Patrick and Tracey here to help me test my theory.

We started with “Mega Man 9,” the only game available for download on all three systems.

I ran the rest first, at 8pm EST on Sunday. I did one at a time. These were the initial results:

-Mega Man 9 demo downloaded and installed on PS3: 142 seconds
-Mega Man 9 demo downloaded on Xbox 360: 345 second
-Mega Man 9 game downloaded on Wii: 27 seconds

Weird numbers, right?

I checked the size of these games. The PS3 and 360 list the size of their gaming content in megabytes. The Wii lists sizes in “blocks.” To figure out how big the Wii version was, I transferred “Mega Man 9″ onto an SD card, put the SD card into my computer and read the file size.

Here are the sizes:

-Mega Man 9 demo, PS3: 63 MB
-Mega Man 9 demo, Xbox 360: 88.7 MB
-Mega Man 9 game, Wii: 8.3 MB

As you can see, Mega Man 9 is not the same size on all machines. In fact, it’s wildly different in size. But we can still figure out speeds and see if my Wii is as slow as I think it is.

Such a discovery calls for some long division, which yielded the following results:

-Mega Man 9 download speed on PS3: .44 MB per second (1st place)
-Mega Man 9 download speed on Xbox 360: .26 MB per second (3rd place)
-Mega Man 9 download speed on Wii: .31 MB per second (2nd place)

That leads us to a possible headline: PS3 Downloads Games Faster Than Xbox 360 And Wii

But who can trust one test performed on one Sunday evening by one man? Not I.

Enter Tracey John and Patrick Klepek.

Patrick ran the test last night at 11PM PST with an Xbox 360 wired to his cable modem and a Wii and PS3 hooked up through a wireless g router.

His times:

-Mega Man 9 demo downloaded and installed on PS3: 80 seconds
-Mega Man 9 demo downloaded on Xbox 360: 104 second
-Mega Man 9 game downloaded on Wii: 24 seconds

His speeds:

-Mega Man 9 download speed on PS3: .79 MB per second (2nd place)
-Mega Man 9 download speed on Xbox 360: .86 MB per second (1st place)
-Mega Man 9 download speed on Wii: .35 MB per second (3rd place)

Those are different results, which lead to a different possible headline: Xbox 360 Downloads Games Faster Than PS3 And Wii (At least the Wii seems to be consistent here, huh?)

And now for Tracey’s test, which she ran this morning at 9AM ET with all three systems hooked up through a wireless g router:

Her times:

-Mega Man 9 demo downloaded and installed on PS3: 106 seconds
-Mega Man 9 demo downloaded on Xbox 360: 194 second
-Mega Man 9 game downloaded on Wii: 28 seconds

Her speeds:

-Mega Man 9 download speed on PS3: .59 MB per second (1st place)
-Mega Man 9 download speed on Xbox 360: .46 MB per second (2nd place)
-Mega Man 9 download speed on Wii: .30 MB per second (3rd place)

So based on her results we’re back to my headline: PS3 Downloads Games Faster Than Xbox 360 And Wii

With the scientific method failing us here, I decided to run one more test. This morning, at the same time Tracey was running her test, I re-downloaded the “Mega Man 9″ content to my systems and re-downloaded one other game each: “World of Goo” on the Wii, “Braid” on the 360 and “Everyday Shooter” on the PS3.

For my second “Mega Man 9″ test I got this:

-Mega Man 9 download speed on PS3: .55 MB per second (1st place)
-Mega Man 9 download speed on Xbox 360: .31 MB per second (2nd place)
-Mega Man 9 download speed on Wii: .30 MB per second (3rd place)

And for my other test this morning, I got this:

-Everyday Shooter game download speed on PS3: .67 MB per second (1st place)
-Braid game download speed on Xbox 360: .61 MB per second (2nd place)
-World of Goo game download speed on Wii: .55 MB per second (3rd place)

Conclusion: Ok, ok. Let’s collect ourselves. Notice that the only time the Xbox 360 won one of these speed tests above was on Patrick’s wired connection. The Wii never won these contests, supporting my theory that it is a bit slow.

The PS3 is the console that won most of these races. So that’s the headline for now: PS3 Downloads Games Fastest Over Wi-Fi

Who wants to join in? If you have all three systems, run a download race yourself and tell us which system wins.

While it seems the PS3 is using WiFi better than the other two I think that this test is so un-scientific that it really just shows what each individual is getting done. However, it does make a point that PSN is not generally slower than everyone else if an unscientific test says otherwise. It means that anyone who finds that to be the case has the PS3 running slower for them. So, main lesson is that it is different for every individual.

The other thing that this pointed out was differences in file sizes between systems. We are talking ten times the difference between the Wii and the 360 on this file. As most people are looking at same game, not same amount of data, when claiming it is slower on one system or another they may notice a difference that is not actualy speed related.

Honestly, looking at this I think the differences between the PS3 and 360 are actually very small and can be switched around easily based on server traffic and physical location.

Only one of these tests has a moderate difference between PS3 and 360, but they are extremely close in all other tests. So, given all things are equal I would be willing to guess that the two systems will peak out at such a close speed that it would take multiple gigabytes of data to have a noticable difference.

I am calling it even for average consumer purposes. The author himself recognizes that he cannot make any definitive statement.

Individual results may vary and as such I suggest that if your buying preferences may differ based on that then you should use your personal experience to make a decision.

Huh? I'm downloading the demo now, how did you solve your problem?? Please dont tell me it just doesnt work because this is a big (near 1 gig) file and its the very start of the month, my broadband provider wont be happy!

what i meant: dont download at the same time as playing the demo, when i was download the demo crashed, after stopping download it was okay 👍

Brilliant Demo so far! 👍

Honestly I can't understand why they have not been given an overhaul after all these years, not being able to move and fire at the same time is simple daft, particularly given the number of enemies on screen in RE5.

I tried changing the aiming to the fastest setting and it still feels like mud. RE5 needs strafing or you're just a sitting duck for the zombies to chew on. I gave up on the demo when my partner effortlessly climbed a ladder, but I could not.

**** it.

👎

TO ANYONE THAT IS RUNNING OUT OF SPACE ON THE HDD
as FK already mentioned, check your game data files, delete data from games you won't be playing at least for a while. You can still play from where you left off before after you reinstall the game data as long as you keep the game save (which are almost always much smaller than the data). Even if there are updates or add-ons you can just download those again later as well.
Another thing to remember is that most of the media (music, photos and videos) you have on the hard drive can be removed from the HDD and streamed from your PC.
Using these two methods along with other small house cleaning I was able to free up ~10gigs, more than enough to tide me over until I find the right HDD at the right price.
But the problem is that there's a unknown taken space by Playstation 3, it's not only in my case, a friend of mine also suffer the same thing and we don't know how the Playstation 3 could take so many GBs in something we don't know exactly...

Just take a look at my post in the lastest page:
Aero-R
I'm surprised too about the space used on my Playstation 3. Since the first month I bought it, I changed its HD to a 250 GBs one. Playstation 3 get it as 232 GBs... totally normal because of the differences between the GB concept of 1000 MBs (as the HD uses it) or 1024 MBs (as the O.S uses it), so if you do the 250 GBs/1.073.741.824 bytes, you get the 232 GBs result. But the problem is that from those 232 GBs, only 185 GBs left in my case. I've done some numbers into the things I've installed:

00'320 GBs: VIDEO
00'019 GBs: MUSIC
00'020 GBs: PICTURES
13'710 GBs: INSTALLED GAMES' DATA
03'000 GBs: HOME's DATA [*HIDDEN]
00'008 GBs: PLAYSTATION 1 & 2 MEMORY CARD's DATA
01'542 GBs: PS STORE GAMES' DATA
00'005 GBs: SAVE's DATA
00'628 GBs: An unfinished download...

The TOTAL of all that content is 19'252 GBs, and the GBs used as by my Playstation 3 info are 47 GBs, so there are 27'748 GBs used on an unknown thing. I do have a sub-account (the GTP one) but it only has a GT5P save on it and a few messages sent/received. The rest that I can imagine using my HD apart from the proper account settings & the space they could take, are the Playstation 3 themes maybe, or the Photo Gallery that uses 100 MBs only. But this is amazing because there are more GBs used by unknown things, than the 19'252 GBs I do know why are used. So I'm a bit also into this doubt since months ago...

But the problem is that there's a unknown taken space by Playstation 3, it's not only in my case, a friend of mine also suffer the same thing and we don't know how the Playstation 3 could take so many GBs in something we don't know exactly...

Just take a look at my post in the lastest page:
As I had said before, I had an instance where game demos would disappear and changing my organization structure made them reappear. I wouldn't be surprised if this could happen with other data types too.

The most direct way to figure this out would be to Back up your HDD, then reformat it. Then redownload and install everything. Watch it as you do this to see if anything suddenly takes up more space than it should.

Also, I wonder, would the PS3 drives need to be defragmented? I have stuff going on and off of it all the time. Definitely much more often than my PC HDD.

Don't forget that there are 5 gigs taken up right out of the box, the system info shows how much space is remaining out of 55 gigs... When I added all of my games and such up it was almost exactly the amount it said I had used

As I had said before, I had an instance where game demos would disappear and changing my organization structure made them reappear. I wouldn't be surprised if this could happen with other data types too.
I usually delete everything that don't use, but I'll do a check.

FoolKiller
Also, I wonder, would the PS3 drives need to be defragmented? I have stuff going on and off of it all the time. Definitely much more often than my PC HDD.
I think that Playstation 3 System Software (the O.S. of Playstation 3), is as Unix based O.S.s, an O.S. that doesn't fragment your HD.

I was wondering if you guys could help me. One of my friends have just bought themselves a PS3, which is excellent. However he is having a probelm, when he is playing any game and then decides to enter the in-game XMB it darkens the screen off, as per usual, and appears to have the loading logo in the corner. The XMB menu can be seen but is darkened and he cannot actually operate it. Then when he tries to get out of the XMB it doesn't let him, meaning he has to reset the PS3.

So, can you guys think of a fix to this probelm? I was thinking perhaps a Return to Default, but I can't see that directly resolving his probelm. I was hoping you guys might know how to fix it!

I usually delete everything that don't use, but I'll do a check.
So do I and it was in teh act of going to delete something that I caught it had disappeared but my hard drive usage was the same. If you can't see it you can't delete it.

I was wondering if you guys could help me. One of my friends have just bought themselves a PS3, which is excellent. However he is having a probelm, when he is playing any game and then decides to enter the in-game XMB it darkens the screen off, as per usual, and appears to have the loading logo in the corner. The XMB menu can be seen but is darkened and he cannot actually operate it. Then when he tries to get out of the XMB it doesn't let him, meaning he has to reset the PS3.

So, can you guys think of a fix to this probelm? I was thinking perhaps a Return to Default, but I can't see that directly resolving his probelm. I was hoping you guys might know how to fix it!
First, I would check that his firmware is up to date. And does it do this with all games? If it is up to date and not kept to just one game then move on to my next suggestion:

First, back up all game saves to a memory card (assuming his model has readers) or USB flash drive.

If you turn of the PS3 and then hold down the power button until it beaps three times it will bring up a system menu and he can reset the system from there and then redownload the latest firmware.

I doubt the XMB is some *nix flavour (Aero, you have a source for that?). I have no idea what file system the PS3 uses. Fragmentation shouldn't be an issue if you have a large fraction of the drive free. However, if your drive is nearing full, then fragmentation will become an issue as the OS figures out where to stash new data and shoehorns it into remaining space. The problem starts to compound. You could always backup, format, and restore to defragment, but that's just delaying the problem. The best course of action would be to upgrade to a larger drive.

I doubt the XMB is some *nix flavour (Aero, you have a source for that?).
I'm not totally sure too, but on the firsts days of Playstation 3 when its specs were announced, I think on those days I readed things like the announce about the possibility of install some Linux flavours (confirmed now, as we do it) and some words about that the PS3 O.S. was Unix based too (I haven't seen anything to confirm this, so I'm not totally sure).

Don't forget that there are 5 gigs taken up right out of the box, the system info shows how much space is remaining out of 55 gigs... When I added all of my games and such up it was almost exactly the amount it said I had used

No that is because we define space as 1 GB= 1000MB while the PS3 and all computer's define 1 GB as 1024MB.

I have only got 6677mb left on my PS3, and was wandering if I should delete my downloaded PS1 games - I only want to do this if I can transfer them back with the PSP though. I have 4 full PS3 game downloads too, but I need to know whether the 5 system rule is for different systems or if you can put it on the same system numerous times...
I have lots of pictures, but I don't really want to delete those, and a few CDs which I don't really want to delete - they are usefull if I don't want to find out the origional disc as I put them all away...
I am thinking of upgrading the harddrive, but I then for a couple of games I'll have to start from scratch - Need For Speed Pro Street being the main concern (for some reason, I love this game).

I deleted PS Home and that saved over 3gb of space (I was down to around 3gb). I have PlayTV and recently it says I have 1.5gb of space to record TV with even though I have more actual HDD space on the PS3 - quite annoying as I wanted to record a few documentaries that are relevant to my families past which wouldn't due to the space (en episode of The Simpsons takes 0.7gb)

I have an external harddrive to keep all videos and almost all music on, but I really wish I could move the PSN games to this to save space...

My GT5p takes over 7gb and GTA IV takes over 3gb amongst other games that have large install sizes...
My PS3 is the UK 40gb model - I got it when the 60gb had stopped being sold, and just before the 80gb started to go on sale (where I got it at least) so it was the only model avalible... I am planning on buying a second PS3 - the 80gb model, which when I have the money will be no problem at all - it's getting the money that is the problem - I can't get a job because I am always turned down when I mention I have ADHD, Autism and Tourettes, even though I am medicated for them...

Sorry for such a long message, but I just wanted some oppinions of what I can do to eaase this a little...

I have only got 6677mb left on my PS3, and was wandering if I should delete my downloaded PS1 games - I only want to do this if I can transfer them back with the PSP though.
Actually, if you go to the store you can just redownload them again later. It saves a list of everything you have bought so you can download them all again later. The only exception to this I know of is videos from the US's video store.

I have 4 full PS3 game downloads too, but I need to know whether the 5 system rule is for different systems or if you can put it on the same system numerous times...
Five system rule means five systems, not five downloads. So, you could delete them and redownload them later on the same system with no fuss.

I am thinking of upgrading the harddrive, but I then for a couple of games I'll have to start from scratch - Need For Speed Pro Street being the main concern (for some reason, I love this game).
Copy your save files or doa full backup to your external drive first, then after you put inyour new drive restore the drive or copy your save files back over. You don't have to restart anything.

I have PlayTV and recently it says I have 1.5gb of space to record TV with even though I have more actual HDD space on the PS3 - quite annoying as I wanted to record a few documentaries that are relevant to my families past which wouldn't due to the space (en episode of The Simpsons takes 0.7gb)
It is annoying, but it is designed this way to prevent you from accidentally recording until you fill your entire hard drive. EyeCreate caps it as well.

I have an external harddrive to keep all videos and almost all music on, but I really wish I could move the PSN games to this to save space...
They do this to prevent piracy. I wish I could do it too though.

My GT5p takes over 7gb and GTA IV takes over 3gb amongst other games that have large install sizes...
7GB? Do you have a lot of GTTV stuff? If you don't watch any of it anymore delete those videos.

My PS3 is the UK 40gb model - I got it when the 60gb had stopped being sold, and just before the 80gb started to go on sale (where I got it at least) so it was the only model avalible... I am planning on buying a second PS3 - the 80gb model,
Why do you want to buy a new one? Do you want to have two systems? If it is just the HDD then I suggest you just switch out the HDD. It is much cheaper.

Haven't HDD manufacturers been slightly exaggerating capacities for a while now? I thought they measures the HDD capacity assuming there are 1000 bytes in 1KB, when in reality it is 1024 bytes. I'm probably wrong and tbh I'm tired so don't want to do any Math!

Actually, if you go to the store you can just redownload them again later. It saves a list of everything you have bought so you can download them all again later. The only exception to this I know of is videos from the US's video store.

Five system rule means five systems, not five downloads. So, you could delete them and redownload them later on the same system with no fuss.

Copy your save files or doa full backup to your external drive first, then after you put inyour new drive restore the drive or copy your save files back over. You don't have to restart anything.

It is annoying, but it is designed this way to prevent you from accidentally recording until you fill your entire hard drive. EyeCreate caps it as well.

They do this to prevent piracy. I wish I could do it too though.

7GB? Do you have a lot of GTTV stuff? If you don't watch any of it anymore delete those videos.

Why do you want to buy a new one? Do you want to have two systems? If it is just the HDD then I suggest you just switch out the HDD. It is much cheaper.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Some game saves are locked, like NFS Pro Street and Juiced 2, so they don't copy - I am currently engrosed in playing Pro Street, and have restarted several times already...

Also, could you maybe give me some info on what harddrives work with the PS3 - the bigger capacity, the better - and rough prices (for the UK)? I live in Birmingham, so if there are any shops that would provide these harddrives, like PCWorld, that would be great. (I just have no idea what harddrives are usable in the PS3 console)...

Also, could you maybe give me some info on what harddrives work with the PS3 - the bigger capacity, the better - and rough prices (for the UK)? I live in Birmingham, so if there are any shops that would provide these harddrives, like PCWorld, that would be great. (I just have no idea what harddrives are usable in the PS3 console)...

Internally, any 2.5" SATA drive (often referred to as laptop/notebook drives).

However, if you want to use a SATA adapter, like this one, you can then use any SATA drive you like... which is especially nice considering you can get higher capacity drives that also cost less than 2.5" drives... but it also means you can't place your PS3 on it's side without accommodating for the now external SATA cable.

The following links might be helpful:

Thanks very much. Time for me to start saving up...

Also, I had forgotten that I had downloaded a lot from GTTV, so deleted all of that today.

Broken controller?

Just want to get some opinions here before I call Sony. The main controller that I have been using, refuses to work on its own. If it's plugged into the USB cable and to the PS3, it works fine. If I unplug it, the four LED's on the top flash a few times, and it shuts off. I then push the PS button to turn it back on, and the LED's flash a few times and it shuts off again. Even though it says that the battery is charged.

Did the battery die on me? Anyone else have this problem?

Back