PS3 General Discussion

Does that mean that the difference between 92 and 93% is a really big deal over at IGN, then?

I don't doubt you, and is the reason I rarely ever even look at any threads on that site as well as other gaming sites. The amount of time it takes to filter out all the nonsense, hype, complaining and misinformation, it's frankly exhausting, and is exactly why I prefer GTP as it has so much less of all of that crap and a lot more of people who are generally positive and want to share opinions and gain accurate information and help others do the same. 👍
Given your admirable respect for the facts and your need to challenge inaccuracy, it's probably just as well you don't spend much (if any) time over there ;)

In reality, 73% would be enough to score you a First class degree and should be given only to games which meet a similar standard. But all too often 73% - or 7/10, or 3.5/5 or any permutation thereof - is given to average games, resulting in a gigantic pile-up in the 90s (or 9s, or 4.5s) for the exceptional stuff and with no real way to differentiate between them.[/color][/b]

That's why I like sites like Metacritic and GameRankings as they simply compile officially published reviews, convert them when possible to a 100pt scale and list the average score. This way, while there will always be reviews that are abnormally high and abnormally low, the average tends to reveal a much more realistic view point, although considering most reviews are likely based largely on the subjective opinion of the reviewer... YMMV.

As an added bonus they often include links to the reviews that they use in the average, thus allowing you to see why one reviewer may have scored that game higher or lower than anyone else.

However, seeing as the Metacritic score for Vampire Rain: Altered Species was a dismal 30, and only about 10 games have a Metacritic score of over 90, clearly when averaged out, sites that post abnormally high and low reviews are not as prevalent as it might seem.

Given your admirable respect for the facts and your need to challenge inaccuracy, it's probably just as well you don't spend much (if any) time over there ;)

Amen Brother Mars! :)

PS Home I still think is massively over rated.

That side, picked up a USB keyboard (all the others I've owned have been PS/2) and have seen how people can use the PS3 to manage a lot of things. Still, a lack of a few functions is annoying, and some of the mapping isn't quite clear at first.

Might get me to use the message feature a bit more as well now. Who knows.

DVI is HDMI without the audio signal being carried.

I used to have a similar solution as the once you where asking about.

My old TV only had DVI, but not HDMI. So I used a HDMI > DVI converter to connect the PS3 to my TV so I could play games in HD. Then I connected Phono cables to my stereo reciver, to get the audio.

:)

Update: Bought a acer p244w, only problem with it is the backlight being annoying, also tried a iiyama E2407HDS-B1 while it didnt had backlight the image quality looked wurse.

All working like a charm. Thanks for all advice.

---

Brilliant sony reaction on the press bull.... they release now-a-days. 👍

Still, a lack of a few functions is annoying, and some of the mapping isn't quite clear at first.

Might get me to use the message feature a bit more as well now. Who knows.
It definitely takes getting used to with a few minor functionality differences. I know after a day at work I will often hit the wrong keys.

I am assuming you saw that the online manual does show the mapped keyboard functions?

Just a technical question.

My PS3 hard drive has used up allmost all the 40GB of memory, but i only have 8 games installed on it, about 200 pictures in photo gallery, 1200 music songs & about 10 PS3 trailers.

So were has all the hard drive memory gone.:banghead:

My PS3 hard drive has used up allmost all the 40GB of memory, but i only have 8 games installed on it, about 200 pictures in photo gallery, 1200 music songs & about 10 PS3 trailers.

If all those things in plus are not almost the space of the HDD, think about the 3 GBs of Playstation Home maybe, and take in mind that there are not exactly 40 GBs, they're a bit less.

If all those things in plus are not almost the space of the HDD, think about the 3 GBs of Playstation Home maybe, and take in mind that there are not exactly 40 GBs, they're a bit less.

I deleted playstation home, i only have 1000MB left.

I deleted playstation home, i only have 1000MB left.
I'm surprised too about the space used on my Playstation 3. Since the first month I bought it, I changed its HD to a 250 GBs one. Playstation 3 get it as 232 GBs... totally normal because of the differences between the GB concept of 1000 MBs (as the HD uses it) or 1024 MBs (as the O.S uses it), so if you do the 250 GBs/1.073.741.824 bytes, you get the 232 GBs result. But the problem is that from those 232 GBs, only 185 GBs left in my case. I've done some numbers into the things I've installed:

00'320 GBs: VIDEO
00'019 GBs: MUSIC
00'020 GBs: PICTURES
13'710 GBs: INSTALLED GAMES' DATA
03'000 GBs: HOME's DATA [*HIDDEN]
00'008 GBs: PLAYSTATION 1 & 2 MEMORY CARD's DATA
01'542 GBs: PS STORE GAMES' DATA
00'005 GBs: SAVE's DATA
00'628 GBs: An unfinished download...

The TOTAL of all that content is 19'252 GBs, and the GBs used as by my Playstation 3 info are 47 GBs, so there are 27'748 GBs used on an unknown thing. I do have a sub-account (the GTP one) but it only has a GT5P save on it and a few messages sent/received. The rest that I can imagine using my HD apart from the proper account settings & the space they could take, are the Playstation 3 themes maybe, or the Photo Gallery that uses 100 MBs only. But this is amazing because there are more GBs used by unknown things, than the 19'252 GBs I do know why are used. So I'm a bit also into this doubt since months ago...

Last edited:

Based on what you have said, it could easily be used up by all your data as well as formatting and system info. However, as someone already mentioned, just because a drive is technically a specific size does not mean that is how much space you can actually use to store data. If you are not sure why or what that means, I would recommend you start your search here and if you want even more technical explanations, just follow the referenced external links.

More importantly, now is likely a good time to look into swapping out your current HDD for a larger one... as it is very easy to do and the drives are so cheap:
For future reference though here are just some of the related threads in GTP:

Im also suprised at how much space has dissapeared from my 60GB! I also don't get where most of it has gone!

I just have a few questions..

If you have GT5P does it use the same game install on all your consoles accounts or is it 2GB each account.

I downloaded a few GTTV vids onto my console ages ago (when it was Spec 1).. I can't find them any more and I don't know if they were deleted or they are still somewhere on the HDD, I really want to delete them.

Home is 3GB standard on the whole console right?, regardless of how many different places I visit in different regional accounts.

Thanks

Robin.

Digital-Nitrate, thanks for share all those links on a single post. I changed my HD the first month I bought my Playstation 3 as I said, without much info (on that time not many people were changing the HD and there was no much info on the net) so I did it with a WESTERN DIGITAL SCORPIO 2'5" 250 GBs 5.400 rpm S-ATA 1'5 GB/s to be sure it'll be fully supported by the system. It was the max space on that time I guess too, but I'm surprised about the people using now 7.200 rpm ones and a lot of big HDs with more than 320 GBs. Quite helpfull info. If on that day I had those links... it would had been easier (I put it on italic because I'm not sure if the sentence is properly composed).

Home is 3GB standard on the whole console right?, regardless of how many different places I visit in different regional accounts.
For a single region account, the 3 GBs is an standard for all users, even if you're only using the Plaza. But if you're using more than one account in order to experience different HOMEs (or regions) I'm not really sure if more than one block of 3 GBs is required. I think no.. but I'm not totally sure.

Last edited:

What are those 8 games? My GT5:P uses nearly 4GB, MGS4 uses about 4GB, and Bioshock uses nearly 5GB. Then smaller things like LittleBigPlanet's ~600MB will add up. Also any add-ons to old games. Warhawk only used the HDD for update data until add-ons and now it is nearly 1.5GB. Rock Band is using over 2.5 GB, and SingStar is approaching 1GB.

Go to Game Data Utility (very top of the Game menu) and you will see hwo much space each installed game takes.

Now, downloaded games do not show up in the Game Data Utility. Instead, they only show up by their listing in the Game Menu. To see how large those are hit triangle while looking at them and then choose information from the menu.

And in that case those grow with add-ons as well. Wipeout is natively about 1GB. Pain started as about 200MB and has grown to over 600MB.

It is easy to see how games quickly add up.

And if you have downloaded games like Warhawk, GT5:P, Burnout Paradise, or S.O.C.O.M. you have to download all necessary game files that woudl normaly be kept on the disc.

Also, the system uses some of its own space.

Im also suprised at how much space has dissapeared from my 60GB! I also don't get where most of it has gone!
Do not forget to add up the PSN games, themes, pictures, etc. Also, the save files are rarely very large, but every little bit counts.

I just have a few questions..

If you have GT5P does it use the same game install on all your consoles accounts or is it 2GB each account.

I downloaded a few GTTV vids onto my console ages ago (when it was Spec 1).. I can't find them any more and I don't know if they were deleted or they are still somewhere on the HDD, I really want to delete them.
GT5:P uses only one install file. Everything else is identified by the save file. Judging by your 2GB figure I am assuming you have the PSN store version, as mine is larger.

GTTV videos will only be seen by the account they were purchased on. For instance, I buy my GTTV stuff on my GTP_FoolKiller account, but cannot see them on my FoolKiller79 account.

Now, if they have expired, but you didn't delete them they will still be there, I believe. At least that is how my Top Gear episodes worked. So, you have to go to the files in GTTV, on the account you bought them on, and delete them from there. I haven't messed with it much lately, so this may not be how it works any more.

Thanks

Robin.
For a single region account, the 3 GBs is an standard for all users, even if you're only using the Plaza. But if you're using more than one account in order to experience different HOMEs (or regions) I'm not really sure if more than one block of 3 GBs is required. I think no.. but I'm not totally sure.
It has only taken up one block of 3GB for me and I have multiple accounts.

GTTV videos will only be seen by the account they were purchased on. For instance, I buy my GTTV stuff on my GTP_FoolKiller account, but cannot see them on my FoolKiller79 account.

Now, if they have expired, but you didn't delete them they will still be there, I believe. At least that is how my Top Gear episodes worked. So, you have to go to the files in GTTV, on the account you bought them on, and delete them from there. I haven't messed with it much lately, so this may not be how it works any more.
But if downloaded free videos on the GTP account, can they be viewed from the other?

Now that you mention it, it could be that my GTP account has many MBs used for it's download of free GTTV videos since I think that the GTTV videos (even the free ones) are not counted into the game data, which in my case is between 6 or 8 GBs if I remember correctly. But even with that as another thing to add to my count at post from before (in which I did a few numbers trying to discover those hidden & used GBs), even with those videos added... I don't know where are those 27 GBs used on my HD as I said. I was wondering if anybody has any idea to clear the doubt I shown with the count of GBs, because this is quite strange... since the firmware are not stored on the HD too...

But if downloaded free videos on the GTP account, can they be viewed from the other?
Yes, those too.

Now that you mention it, it could be that my GTP account has many MBs used for it's download of free GTTV videos since I think that the GTTV videos (even the free ones) are not counted into the game data, which in my case is between 6 or 8 GBs if I remember correctly. But even with that as another thing to add to my count at post from before (in which I did a few numbers trying to discover those hidden & used GBs), even with those videos added... I don't know where are those 27 GBs used on my HD as I said. I was wondering if anybody has any idea to clear the doubt I shown with the count of GBs, because this is quite strange... since the firmware are not stored on the HD too...
GTTV videos count toward your GT5:P file size. If you have 6-8GBs then you have videos from GTTV in there.

GT is amazingly big 6 gig+ , need to put in a new Hard Drive since Resident Evil is coming with a 5 gig tag.

Anyone playing the demo? I find it crashing a lot on loading screens :/

okay, fixed it i think: dont download and play demo!

Last edited:
okay, fixed it i think: dont download and play demo!

Huh? I'm downloading the demo now, how did you solve your problem?? Please dont tell me it just doesnt work because this is a big (near 1 gig) file and its the very start of the month, my broadband provider wont be happy!

What are those 8 games?

My 8 games are

Gran turismo 5 prologue
Assassins creed
Mercenaries 2
Far cry 2
Resistance 2
Uncharted - drakes fortune
Battlefield - bad company
Ferrari challenge

BTW, if i bye a new PS3 on put my same PSN ID as the current one. what happens to all your PSN friends or do i have to send 100 friend request again.

Last edited:
Wow anyone else been playing the RE5 demo? Awesomely fun especially the co op mode. It's definitely hard though!

Wow anyone else been playing the RE5 demo? Awesomely fun especially the co op mode. It's definitely hard though!

Just started it now. And HELP, what could I do when I ran out of bullets and my knife was useless?? Definitely a very difficult game.

TO ANYONE THAT IS RUNNING OUT OF SPACE ON THE HDD
as FK already mentioned, check your game data files, delete data from games you won't be playing at least for a while. You can still play from where you left off before after you reinstall the game data as long as you keep the game save (which are almost always much smaller than the data). Even if there are updates or add-ons you can just download those again later as well.
Another thing to remember is that most of the media (music, photos and videos) you have on the hard drive can be removed from the HDD and streamed from your PC.
Using these two methods along with other small house cleaning I was able to free up ~10gigs, more than enough to tide me over until I find the right HDD at the right price.

Back