CHEAP Cockpit Alternatives ONLY

• Thread starter mnarciso
  • 1,923 comments
That is actually the third wheel layout that I've had since I got the thing. All in all, this is way more stable than this one, and a whole lot less amateurish than this one was (on that one, the wheel was attached to the board lashed to the table. The photo was taken shortly after I broke the wheel, so I took it off).

I've designed a cockpit since my current just won't do..
Current:
103_0765.jpg

103_0766.jpg

New:
cockpitre-designed.jpg

cockpittttt.jpg

cpr.jpg

I've actually made my own thread too if you'd like to check it out. About the cost, I have all the materials and it was only about $80(canadian) so it's relatively cheap. :)

This is my 20 dollar driving platform

picture.php

The worlds greatest office chair
picture.php

3 way adjustable wheel ( in / out, up / down, 45 degree wheel angle adjustment)
picture.php

Adjustable foot controls (closer for Little Lefty and farther away for me, 30 degree foot angel adjustment)
picture.php

picture.php

I used scrap tubing and various other metal scraps, an old office chair, and a door glass regulator with some pieces that I bought at the hardware store for 20 bucks

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I've been reading on this site for awhile now, getting ideas from all the designs everyone's been submitting. I'm ready to show my own contribution now. Hope you all like it:

Design done in Google Sketchup:
Racing%20Seat%204a.jpg

Work in progress:
2010-07-15%2000.22.00.jpg

Pretty much complete:
2010-07-16%2000.08.58.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys . Been a lurker here for a couple of weeks and just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for giving me ideas for my cockpit.

Built it over the course of a weekend with very limited DIY skills (ie first time using a drill and saw). Its a repurposed kids racing car desk. I elevated the wheel and seat basically.

Quick question, I have my G27 mounted on a computer desk which is pretty high up, but I need something to put my gaming chair on. Any ideas, I currently have it sitting on a plastic box, not too great :(

EDIT: I could take some pics if you wish :D

After a few months of not having a solution for my....

And I can even slide it out about 3 feet or so so I have room for my pedals and so I can more easily use it with my laptop:

Do i see there 2 antec cases boxes ;)

The kettler setup is cool. Muscle up!

Hey guys, its somehow confiremd that gt5 will have multi screen support. If GT5 does come with All singleplayer modes in 3 screen support I will buy some LCD monitors and try to build a nice base for my pleaseats chair. If its only like GT4 where only Time Trial was for 3 screen setup, I will buy a nice laptop instead for PC gaming. But any who, I need some ideas on how to fit 3 screens around this

evo_negro.gif

Anyone can draw a table or some kind of add on for the 3 screen space? I would like the screens be right behind the wheel.

Anyone can draw a table or some kind of add on for the 3 screen space? I would like the screens be right behind the wheel.
Hey Nox,

When I finally get my 3 screen setup proto'ed, and if it works I'm sure with the same parts you should easily be able to do a stand alone rig just for the screens. I will keep this need in mind and when I'll get back to my drawing board (at work - on hols now :D ) I see how it would work. But basically you'd only need a few of the metal plates I have now designed and additionally buy the needed amount of hollow aluminium bar. Should be quite cheap & easy to build too. (just drilling and cutting to lenght)

I'll get back to this 👍

here's a pic of the whole thing, but you can imagine the result when the unnecessary parts would be removed.

ScreenHunter_12Jul151333.jpg

Last edited:
Wow man, thanks a lot, this gives me whole new idea. Maybe I will scratch the PLAYSEATS COCKPIT, just leve few parts and chair, and build your setup from scratch. I like the idea of having the PS3s behind the screens, so no messy cables laying around.

Right now I live with my Girlfriend in Mexico, her neighbor does all the metal and welding. If I could live here , I could ask him for some help for a sterdy setup.

👍

Been using this since the DFP came out, I think it qualifies as cheap. The Fisher Price table is over 20 years old but is still extremely solid. The kids lawn chair is surprisingly comfortable and sturdy, even for my 220lb self. Since they're both made for kids it makes for a very low, racy feel, and to store it all you have to do is fold the chair and flip the table sideways then put it in a closet/pantry, losing almost no storage space at all.

Only problem is if you forget to put it away before bringing a girl over, she'll think:
A. You have a kid you didn't tell her about (weird)
B. Your roommate is a 10 year old (weird)
C. You buy kids stuff for yourself (weird)

The chair was probably something like $15, and those tables were pretty popular so you can probably get one for $5 at a garage sale or on craigslist or something. There you go, cheap, sturdy, easily adjustable, and easily stored.

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Been using this since the DFP came out, I think it qualifies as cheap. The Fisher Price table is over 20 years old but is still extremely solid. The kids lawn chair is surprisingly comfortable and sturdy, even for my 220lb self. Since they're both made for kids it makes for a very low, racy feel, and to store it all you have to do is fold the chair and flip the table sideways then put it in a closet/pantry, losing almost no storage space at all.

Only problem is if you forget to put it away before bringing a girl over, she'll think:
A. You have a kid you didn't tell her about (weird)
B. Your roommate is a 10 year old (weird)
C. You buy kids stuff for yourself (weird)

The chair was probably something like $15, and those tables were pretty popular so you can probably get one for $5 at a garage sale or on craigslist or something. There you go, cheap, sturdy, easily adjustable, and easily stored.

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Haha! that was one of my first cockpits except I had the matching chair that came with the table back in the late '90's

Haha! that was one of my first cockpits except I had the matching chair that came with the table back in the late '90's

You know what they say about great minds, haha. I imagine that would have been pretty awkward with the original seats though.

But seriously, after using this set-up for 7 years the only thing that I really feel needs improvement is the pedal angle. The way it is now your legs are only 25 degrees off completely horizontal so fully depressing the pedals can get a little tiring on your anterior calf muscles after several hours of driving. So I'll probably make a little wedge like some other rigs have (when GT5 arrives :)).

You know what they say about great minds, haha. I imagine that would have been pretty awkward with the original seats though.

But seriously, after using this set-up for 7 years the only thing that I really feel needs improvement is the pedal angle. The way it is now your legs are only 25 degrees off completely horizontal so fully depressing the pedals can get a little tiring on your anterior calf muscles after several hours of driving. So I'll probably make a little wedge like some other rigs have (when GT5 arrives :)).

Wow! 7 years. I lasted about a week until I moved on to the next version. My daughter wanted her desk back for her iMac. :sly:

Hey its the Cheap thread so.....
4912083546_ec371a1fd0_z.jpg

4911480309_ef9cd3c918_z.jpg

BTW, I still dont buy a PS3. Will soon buy a 160GB or a GT5 bundle or something. But should I stay with the DFP or should I get a DFGT?

dont blow your money on a dfgt... i mean yes..its a little better, but its pointless with what you own. Grab a g25\g27 or just keep what you have.

ps I own a dfgt so im not being harsh on it.

The DFGT is OK and all but not really better than the DFP, as stated.
They both have very similar pedals and the DFGT has the on the fly tuning button, but the DFP buttons can be laid out to do the same thing.

I have both and really only bought the DFGT because the DFP wheel became ratchety and one corner of my accelerator broke off.

The G series are a definite upgrade though, especially the pedals, which include a clutch.

Ikea chair + some pine & mounting hardware

Rig.jpg

Older picture before I got the G27 and added the shifter mount but you can better see how its set up

DSCF0009-1.jpg

Last edited:
DFGT + Ironing Board
Image030.jpg

I have some plans to tidy it up and integrate a pedal mount.
plus it needs a little more fore/ aft stability on carpet through some longer and heavier extensions to the feet

Last edited:
Before anyone asks yes the Seat is from a you guessed it Opel GT a spare Opel GT not my 69 Uploaded with ImageShack.us http://img841.imageshack.us/i/ps3pictures066.jpg/][IMG=[URL="http://a.imageshack.us/img841/5410/ps3pictures066.jpg"]http://a.imageshack.us/img841/5410/ps3pictures066.jpg[/URL]][/IMG][/URL] Uploaded with http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL] Thought I'd update the latest pictures of my "driving setup" It started out as a CRAFTSMAN height-adjustable tool stand (model #22269) which I don't think Sears sells anymore. The reason I bought this to start with was for my G25 wheel and I thought that if I ever got around to finishing the "rig" I started building I could use this in my shop. The foot pedals are at 57% angle (which still doesn't feel right) . The angle of the wheel (wheel here being the part of the wheel your hands go on) are at 81% which feel very real. This is what I did to invert the pedals: Copy/paste here so it might read a little funny! opelgt1969 Not sure if you have tried this but if you look on "my profile" page I reversed my pedals and left them in the base so the wiring would be protected. The only thing I had to do was to change the Clutch and gas pedals around and add more (about 2 inches) wire to go inside base here I used electric tape and wrapped a large amount to keep it at base entrance, this also gives more room between clutch and brake pedal. I have some pictures in 'My Album" . I'm sending this PM for info because if I said this in your thread some would think I'm try to flame you but I'm not. Just trying to help. More pictures here didn't want to "fill page with pictures: http://profile.imageshack.us/user/opelgt1969/

Anyone interested in making their own cockpit look below. I stumbled across this a few weeks ago and completed one just last week. Super sturdy, folds away when done and because it's made of pine, it's super light weight. In total it cost me less than $20 for materials.

dzbbd2.jpg

http://buildawheelstand.blogspot.com/

I built one of these as well. It works great. Not as sturdy as steel would be, but cheap and effective.

$20 dollars!? Maybe I can afford a Fanatec GT3 RS wheel now. Mind telling me the dimensions of the wood you have used? I wish the blogger gave more information.

Back