Chase for NASCAR Sprint Cup S2 Champs: RFLX_Niop, Hendrick, Chevy

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,095 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drop, just a question for tonight. Bearing in mind that we are all legit here and wouldn't purposley cut corners.

Penalties for the chicanes? On during race or only if reported and found out after the race?

Just so we all know, with it being 'one of those tracks'

👍

I'll try make it tonight guys.👍

I recommend penalties to be off and if you see someone cut, report it to drop.:)

akmuq
I recommend penalties to be off and if you see someone cut, report it to drop.:)

This.

Also, remember, the first chicane won't be part of the track tonight.

In the second chicane, do you consider the concrete part of the track or not? I would lean toward yes, since a giant wall prevents severe corner cutting.

The third chicane has a sand trap, so going off the tarmac will be it's own penalty there.

Yep, that's the answer I was looking for, was just putting it out there to make it clear.

Second Chicane though, I believe 2 tyres should be attempted to remain on track at all times, maybe including the rumble strip as track. Obviously if you mis-break, then you have the rest as the run-off.

Down to you dude. Expecting many tonight?

This.

Also, remember, the first chicane won't be part of the track tonight.

In the second chicane, do you consider the concrete part of the track or not? I would lean toward yes, since a giant wall prevents severe corner cutting.

Seems like there is some gray area here. Even though there is a "wall", if you cut that chicane its still worth an extra 2+/- seconds.

I am personally leaning towards having penalties on just for that corner. Let the computer decide right then and there if you cut it or not. What happens if we accidently blow thru that corner? How can you police that corner during quals?

homeslice47
Seems like there is some gray area here. Even though there is a "wall", if you cut that chicane its still worth an extra 2+/- seconds.

I am personally leaning towards having penalties on just for that corner. Let the computer decide right then and there if you cut it or not. What happens if we accidently blow thru that corner? How can you police that corner during quals?

I have no idea how to declare what is or isn't a legit pole time, hence the reason I was considering leaving the rule for today as pavement equals fair racing surface.

Edit - It's my understanding that the penalty system in GT5 is very inconsistent, and often hands out as many wrongful penalties as it misses legit penalties. I would say for tonight's race, it's probably better that we run without penalties, and with the understanding that a paved surface is fair game.

Last edited:
The penalty on will stall your car for about 5 seconds if you blow thru that corner, making your lap time too high to grab the pole.

I have no idea how to declare what is or isn't a legit pole time, hence the reason I was considering leaving the rule for today as pavement equals fair racing surface.

Edit - It's my understanding that the penalty system in GT5 is very inconsistent, and often hands out as many wrongful penalties as it misses legit penalties. I would say for tonight's race, it's probably better that we run without penalties, and with the understanding that a paved surface is fair game.

The paved surface, as in the green surface? So will everyone be cutting and not trying to negotiate through the chicane properly? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick. :dunce: me if you want :lol:

homeslice47
The penalty on will stall your car for about 5 seconds if you blow thru that corner, making your lap time too high to grab the pole.

Do we know if the penalty system will catch that specific corner? I know there were issues in GT Academy with blatant corner cutting not registering as a penalty at other tracks. Also, I'm worried about the penalties being unfairly applied to collisions, as I've read that the car at fault isn't always the one that gets penalized.

Penalties won't work in qualifying anyway, if someone is really fast through the sector with the chicane in it but not in the other 2 sectors, it would be obvious that they have cutted and would be made pull over and rejoin in last. Having the green surface as track would be dangerous considering cars would be side by side through there, and let's face it, it's not like we know the cheat way through the turn very well(Or do you?:lol:) so it could cause massive incidents.

Right, USE COMMON SENSE.

These are my TOCA guidelines,

General Guide from me on a lap:

autodromonazionalemonzar.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzaq.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzag.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzamq.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzaq.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzar.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzavi.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzas.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzan.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzayi.jpg

autodromonazionalemonzao.jpg

As you can see, I try to keep two wheels on track at all times. The outside strips on the exits of the corners allow you to run wide, but if you end up too wide you are in the gravel, so you do noy lose much time.

For me these represent the absolute limit of cornering.

There is a more-official one somewhere, but this is the general limit you should be driving Monza online.(Probably shouldn't go as wide as that)

During all of my practicing I have been using the thick white line as the boundary, keeping two wheels inside it at all times. I believe that is how it is defined here on GTPlanet, if I'm not mistaken. I do not have an issue with an adjustment to the rule just for today's race, as long as we clear it up soon. :)

Is common sense not a good enough penalty system. If you feel you gain an unfair advantage take a different line through the corner. That is how I plan to race unless told otherwise

Is common sense not a good enough penalty system. If you feel you gain an unfair advantage take a different line through the corner. That is how I plan to race unless told otherwise

Agreed.

When running consistantly I don't cut, in later laps I may cut due to late breakin when tryin to really push it. If I cut by mistake n there's a car I can obviously pass I won't cheat n take it. If I'm racing too it goin two wide I believe its understood if one car takes the inside n takes the cut as long as there is no blatant passing advantage applied from the cutting driver. As long as you race with respect to the rules, I think we will all be fine. And from watching tons of racing this is pretty much how they judge it anyways in nascar road courses, like watkins glen. U see all kinds of unintentional cutting there that isn't penalized.

Do we know if the penalty system will catch that specific corner? I know there were issues in GT Academy with blatant corner cutting not registering as a penalty at other tracks. Also, I'm worried about the penalties being unfairly applied to collisions, as I've read that the car at fault isn't always the one that gets penalized.

I ran a room at monza for a few races last night with strong penalty and it worked well in that corner, it kept everyone from short cutting it. We are on a road course so i expect the field to spread out fairly quickly so i don't think contact type penalties will be such an issue as say daytona. JMHO

Will be on about half past. Have company tonight so more than likely going to be off mic.

Road course shouldn't cause too much of an issue with that, but will have it over my ear just in case I need it.

Nice race. 2 stops worked for me as well 👍

Well done to the #20 crew on victory.

Considering the degree of difficulty with the cars and the track involved, would that be the cleanest and most exciting race ever?

Sweet race! I had great battles with everyone from first to 8th! I finally got some laps lead and had great, clean passes fighting for first with M-Stall, few times I was faster than him but he was way more consistant than me. I took out my chances for first on a date in a sand castle. My car got away from me a few times while pushing it because I was steadily gaining time. I made one pitstop at lap 15 came out in 7th and made some clean passes all the way to 4th. I'm happy with my top five finish and cheers to all racers. I can't wait to see the scoreboards!

Niop win? Every time he wins a road course I get frustrated cause I know I could have beaten him, pity I couldn't make it.:(

MStall for Joe Gibbs Racing - Great win man 👍

Race review tomorrow but awesome racing guys. Loved it.

Niop win? Every time he wins a road course I get frustrated cause I know I could have beaten him, pity I couldn't make it.:(
Bold Statement.

M-Stall, good race today. Thanks for the great battle, and no hard feelings here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back