GT Academy 2012 (EU) General Discussion

• Thread starter Manuelos
  • 1,584 comments
Limited laps has always been brought up at every GT Academy but never happened :P. I think people have brought it up more this time due to some of the statistics now being show, but we will have to see I guess :)!

Ye I'm with you on that I can't see how they will cut people out if they want people to try it :P, but it's also the numbers reason why I also can't see them cutting people out of the competition :P.

Don't forget that PD is organising it, anything no matter how bizarre is possible.

The feeling you get when you know that your country isn't eligible to compete this year yet you still come back to see what's happening...

Cant wait for next tuesday, anyone know what time its starts?? not that it matters as im at work until 4:30. Hoping I can make the nationals after just missing out last year by 0.5sec with pad. its going to be very tough this yeah tho, looking at Janns twitter he tweeted "Practice hard for @GTAcademy it's going to be tougher!":scared:

Some interesting info here:

http://twitter.com/#!/gtacademy
http://www.facebook.com/GTAcademy

I'm hoping first round is quite easy so I can get through that without investing much time into it. The latter rounds for sure I will be investing a lot more time on them. It will definately be very hard to get into the national finals this year but will give it a good go and see if it is enough. Hopefully Silverstone has been modelled and is in the download.

Look out for the wildcard events. Could be slightly easier to qualify for the national finals that way.

Cant wait for next tuesday, anyone know what time its starts?? not that it matters as im at work until 4:30. Hoping I can make the nationals after just missing out last year by 0.5sec with pad. its going to be very tough this yeah tho, looking at Janns twitter he tweeted "Practice hard for @GTAcademy it's going to be tougher!":scared:

May 1st 17.00 GMT.
Good luck to all.
I also noticed in one of the posts that you can 'download part 1 for free' 👍
Lets hope they dont charge us for the remaining parts 👎

I've got a week off work booked for next week, nice long week to relax fully get into the flow of the competition, but I can't wait for sure! Should be good fun! I have been practicing quite a lot with the 370z lately, feel free to join me at any time in my lounge or public lobby if I'm on (Except wednesday's apprentice day :P) but feel free to add me :).

Tidgney
I've got a week off work booked for next week, nice long week to relax fully get into the flow of the competition, but I can't wait for sure! Should be good fun! I have been practicing quite a lot with the 370z lately, feel free to join me at any time in my lounge or public lobby if I'm on (Except wednesday's apprentice day :P) but feel free to add me :).

OFF TOPIC: That was your 500th post!

Tidgney

That would be excellent. I'm sure I could learn heaps from a pad-wizard like you.

Last time I think I drove a similar car was GT Academy 2011 :lol:, the Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) . Will start driving GT5 more in mid-May so I might join you then if I see you are online. Hopefully will not be too rusty then.

Feel free to join Kilmore :)! Had a few races with a few people with the GT Academy car (Well what I would call the GT Academy car That Fairlady 08 (z34) basically a 370z :P), they have been extremely fun! Same as well Saidur. Although Saidur you can't be as rusty as I was that time I joined you dan and everyone and I basically lost all consistency, one sector I'd be bang on the sector times next not :P. But thankfully that's improved since TTing and Racing far more often again :)!

But really any form of Time trialing in an online lobby before a race is EXTREMELY beneficial as well, because you have to try new things to get that extra tenth to get the fastest lap, it's good and means you push yourself to learn new things, and driving techniques! As well as nailing your braking points even better, rather than either side by 10m get your braking point accuracy down to 1m so you can then push yourself that extra few metres to see if it really is worth that extra tenth :).

You guys might want to try turning a few of GT5's driving aids off to get a different feel for things.

I've recently turned off the suggested gear indicator and ABS (set the brake bias to 3:2) as well as going as far as turning off the mini map, timing and driver list. I find it adds greatly to the realism of the game...too bad NZ isn't included in this years Academy T___T

Feel free to join Kilmore :)! Had a few races with a few people with the GT Academy car (Well what I would call the GT Academy car That Fairlady 08 (z34) basically a 370z :P), they have been extremely fun! Same as well Saidur. Although Saidur you can't be as rusty as I was that time I joined you dan and everyone and I basically lost all consistency, one sector I'd be bang on the sector times next not :P. But thankfully that's improved since TTing and Racing far more often again :)!

But really any form of Time trialing in an online lobby before a race is EXTREMELY beneficial as well, because you have to try new things to get that extra tenth to get the fastest lap, it's good and means you push yourself to learn new things, and driving techniques! As well as nailing your braking points even better, rather than either side by 10m get your braking point accuracy down to 1m so you can then push yourself that extra few metres to see if it really is worth that extra tenth :).
so what are some of your times:D

Louie_Schumii
You guys might want to try turning a few of GT5's driving aids off to get a different feel for things.

I've recently turned off the suggested gear indicator and ABS (set the brake bias to 3:2) as well as going as far as turning off the mini map, timing and driver list. I find it adds greatly to the realism of the game...too bad NZ isn't included in this years Academy T___T

Your are absolutely correct about adding to the realism. However I can't see them disabling them functions. Maybe in the later rounds? Last year active steering was allowed. As was pointed out by other people they want people to enjoy this not turn them away.

Whilst i agree that inclusivity is important, the ultimate goal of the competition is to find someone who can wheel a car. Make the aids available, but change the balance so that they are not an advantage.

If its possible to drive faster with aids, where's the incentive to learn to drive without them? I think the balance needs to be adjusted so that those who do put the hours in to learn to drive effectively without the aids are able to push the cars to their absolute limits. Aids should prevent that imo, or theres no incentive to learn to drive without them.

Aids should be training wheels on cars that do not have them in real life, something to ease you in, not something that provides ultimate performance.

All IMO of course. I understand that it is tricky to find the right balance.

Last edited:
Yea I totally agree with that. They don't allow driving aids in the national finals so why in the qualification process?

To get in top 16 is going to take some effort. Gonna keep a look out for them wildcard events. They didn't have any over here last time so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm usually racing from 8pm till about 10:30pm, sometimes may start earlier. Have football tonight after work till about 6:20pm then should get home for quarter past 7, eat and then play some GT5.

With regards to AIDS I think aslongs you have pretty much all of them turned off apart from last years (Although I dont use active steering, doesn't allow me to drive the way I like) you should be alright practicing how you feel. I would be more inclined to say that aslongs you are practicing throttle and brake control it doesn't really matter what you use!

I was just driving safely, was surprised not to be last :lol: as I don't know the Nürburgring Nordschleife that well. I think that race was probably the last race I've done online so you can tell I don't race much online. I think if I include every race I've ever done online including all the games I've ever played, I've probably done less than 30 races in total and the majority being short races, about 1-3 laps. I might double that end of May hopefully and try and get up to speed and boost my experience level in the world of online racing. Main thing will be to try and qualify though which will be the hardest task, anything above 60th place is a step forward for me.

Might also run hot laps on the Nürburgring to try and get up to speed on that as apart from the special events, I've run very laps on that track and would like to try and master that track. Many people seem experts at that track and seems quite a popular choice among the super fast drivers online.

Awesome, thanks! 👍 I'll join in this weekend to get my 370Z skills up to speed, should be good.

['' Jordan Tresson (winner GTac 2010) on Facebook "] :

That's 8 events over 8 weeks with only the latter that counts. But be the minimum time (bronze) on ALL the tests before.

I'm really disappointed to hear this news, bad news... 👎

['' Jordan Tresson (winner GTac 2010) on Facebook "] :

That's 8 events over 8 weeks with only the latter that counts. But be the minimum time (bronze) on ALL the tests before.

I'm really disappointed to hear this news, bad news... 👎

They should have made Gold the target as a minimum, or built from Bronze to Silver to Gold in the first few events or scrap the idea and make it so you don't even need to get Bronze to do the 8th event. Don't mind at all though. Looks like only 1 week of competitive time trialling then, don't know if that will be in my favour or not. One things for sure, it will save a lot of time for many people around the world.

It's really anything, I am disgusted but I'm starting to get used with Gran Turismo... 👎

The whole idea is to get newbies to the GT series up to the level of the top players in 8 weeks. Limited time might be a good idea so raw pace is more vital. What would you have preferred?

The game was released for nearly two years, we are all ready, I think the GT academy should be created for us, not for newcomers... Would have required at least one event among the eight rounds into account, there is anything...
In addition we will have one week to the final round which will be crucial, how do we do if we are not there? While each round count if we could catch up if we missed some events.

I'm really disappointed, I do participate more...

Yinato
The game was released for nearly two years, we are all ready, I think the GT academy should be created for us, not for newcomers... Would have required at least one event among the eight rounds into account, there is anything...
In addition we will have one week to the final round which will be crucial, how do we do if we are not there? While each round count if we could catch up if we missed some events.

I'm really disappointed, I do participate more...

I think the set up is awful as well. There should be a much bigger divide between drivers like you and drivers like me!

Back