GT Academy 2012 (EU) General Discussion

• Thread starter Manuelos
  • 1,584 comments
It's a shame that Alan and MrRaser have moved on(both former NFS WCG champions). Although i'd imagine MrRaser might take a stab since he owns the "first and only" LAN center dedicated to racing games in Russia(Alan is already signed to a real racing team).

I assume group 4 is USA?.

Bring. It. On.

Can't wait, last year my son had just arrived so my time was obviously limited. Now he actually sleeps I can give it a proper go!

Good luck all, I look forward to seeing your names high on the leaderboard!!

I see your location and you GT Academy nation of choice differ a bit, made me wonder how the region you compete in is picked?

Where's that opening movie?

A maximum of 16 further competitors will also gain access to National Finals events via a series of Live Gran Turismo®5 events.

Would like to hear more about these.. Would it be possible to get through for anyone who's country is not included via these events?

Last edited:
Thank you Playstation, you've included to South America.....
Oh, of course, we dont deserve nothing of it because we are the poor sudacas...

hehehe but now we own YPF again :sly: take it easy, I'm still planning enjoy the event with my US account.

It's a shame that Alan and MrRaser have moved on(both former NFS WCG champions). Although i'd imagine MrRaser might take a stab since he owns the "first and only" LAN center dedicated to racing games in Russia(Alan is already signed to a real racing team).

I assume group 4 is USA?.

I see your location and you GT Academy nation of choice differ a bit, made me wonder how the region you compete in is picked?

I lived in Switzerland in 2010. This year I will be entering in UK.

Looks like it's going to be one TT/challenge per week for 8 weeks in a row, probably knocking out the slowest half each time until there are 32 players left for the last week.

I like this idea because it will require people to get up to speed quickly and also stop people lurking and not posting a time until the last week/day. On the other hand I can see it being hard to juggle everyday life/studies/jobs with the competition especially since it will be a fresh slate each week. Really looking forward to it though.

Can't wait for this although it if its an 8 week slog might be a bit nuts! Got the first week booked of work at least!

Dessy182
Looks like it's going to be one TT/challenge per week for 8 weeks in a row, probably knocking out the slowest half each time until there are 32 players left for the last week.

I like this idea because it will require people to get up to speed quickly and also stop people lurking and not posting a time until the last week/day. On the other hand I can see it being hard to juggle everyday life/studies/jobs with the competition especially since it will be a fresh slate each week. Really looking forward to it though.

If it works like that how about the fake accounts?

Something else to think about the US had 4 rounds didn't they? That was to narrow down a lot bigger audience, and each country has to be represented so it would be quite a small amount eliminated each week I think if that was the case. Could be a total grand time of all 8 challenges 👍? Or an introduction of a new one each week to add to the existing ones so you constantly have to adjust perhaps?

Last edited:

I really don't know, that could be a problem but I'm sure the technical team behind the scenes will be doing what they can to stop any abuse of the system.

As for adding up the 8 times, it could well happen but I doubt it myself. I'm guessing there will be a new download(seasonal) each week and if you don't actually own the game, that track and car become unusable when the week is over. Quite clever marketing in my opinion. It's going to allow millions of gamers to try several different cars and tracks for a week without actually owning GT5.

Hey Gerchu,

I get the feeling that each country's Playstation Division makes a decision whether or not they will run the GT Academy, more than likely each Division must be able to show that running the GT Academy would be profitable, it's hard to calculate because advertisement isn't instant tangible profit.

So maybe countries with high %of GT Players will make a succesful case to run an academy.

So why is Ireland involved(with the UK)? Probably because there are just a few Irish GT players with a chance of being in the top 20, also our proximity to UK.

I could be wrong, just my opinion.

I think they *might* have solved that problem.

I tried creating an asian account to view some Asia only events in GT5, (Can't remember the event)
But it did not let me see the asian leaderboards, it just showed me the local europeans boards.

So I tried using proxies located in asia (and the asian account) and from what I could tell I just could not connect to GT5 servers via a proxy. Although I could connect to PSN.

Also in region specific Time Trials, such as the Mercedes SLS Amg event on TGTT, I saw some american flags, Im guessing europeans with an american account?

Last edited:
The fact that it isn't one time trial is better in my opinion, but the one thing I'd say is that it might ruin chances for certain individuals as they won't be able to put in a solid amount of effort for 8 weeks straight due to commitments. The things I could see screwing me over personally though is an inconsistent internet connection and taking a shed load of laps to get used to a track on the wheel!

Either way, hopefully I can get up to speed on the wheel and qualify, I refuse to use the pad this year because of how much of a disadvantage it was when it came to event time. :P

(If not, I'll come as someone's guest ;))

Come on Spud get your wheel skills up :)! Gotta show these experienced wheel users what the pad players can do :D!

Gotta admit I can't see them doing an 8 week slog even more so now, just seems a bit bonkers!

It's probably not going to be full on action for 8 weeks solid. I'm pretty sure that the first 4 weeks will only require a few hours each for experienced players. I would imagine the last few weeks will be the most time consuming.

The fact that it isn't one time trial is better in my opinion, but the one thing I'd say is that it might ruin chances for certain individuals as they won't be able to put in a solid amount of effort for 8 weeks straight due to commitments.

I think perhaps they are looking to run the academy in this way to replicate "real life". Afterall, we don't all have the luxury of being able to spend hours and hours training and bettering our lap times, and this applies in real life to racing drivers too.

Will they ultimately miss out on someone who is able to nail the ultimate laptime? Maybe. Are they likely to be able instead to find someone almost as quick, but with more rounded abilities? Almost definitely.

I also think a bit of variation is good too. Last years academy was good, but a bit one dimensional in that it was the same track. If they introduce a few more challenges, it might stop a few people going insane too, trying to find those last few hundredths of a second!

I predict lap limits without pausing :scared:

Jeez that would be nasty, but at least it would take the pain out of doing zillions of laps as has been previously pointed out.
In the academy finals you had 3 laps/attempts to knock out a fast lap in the early rounds - they may well adopt a similar approach to see who is fast from the word go

Jeez that would be nasty, but at least it would take the pain out of doing zillions of laps as has been previously pointed out.
In the academy finals you had 3 laps/attempts to knock out a fast lap in the early rounds - they may well adopt a similar approach to see who is fast from the word go

If that was the case then you could just boot up GT5 and practice the combo. If it is limited laps then that won't be good for me. This is a big couple of months coming up if I'm ever to get to scratch so time could be limited for me.

no way is it gonna be limited laps. You guys forget that this is a marketing ploy first and competition second. That's exactly the reason why academy is available to everyone this year- they want to get people hooked.

If that was the case then you could just boot up GT5 and practice the combo.

True, but it could be one of those wonderful eiffel creations :nervous:

Would be nasty allright, I would have zero chance if it were the case.
I feel my strength is performing a good lap after a few hundred laps.
not being fast straight away. :dunce:

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to this!

My fitness is 10x better and I've got more time / effort to give to make this happen this year.

If you're in one of the eligible countries; enjoy being able to "compete" this year. I've said it a number of times but it is actually gutting to not have New Zealand again for 2012 *sigh*

If you're in one of the eligible countries; enjoy being able to "compete" this year. I've said it a number of times but it is actually gutting to not have New Zealand again for 2012 *sigh*

This... I would've loved to be able to compete, hell... if I was allowed I'm certain I'd make it to national finals at least.
Oh well, I know that there are many more far important countries left out than Serbia (such as Canada, Aus/NZ, Scandinavia, Greece, Poland etc). :/

Most interesting part of that for me is this:

''According to the Japanese press release, the total number of challenge attempts and the total number of miles driven by all participants will be recorded and displayed in the game’s menu.''

Does this mean the ranking will be based on it aswell?

Further more I think I see a Nissan Leaf on London track, and a 370Z Tuned on TGTT. I wouldn't prefer tracks that already exist because people will practice outside the challenge and put in there best time in the very end. Especially is the ranks will be indeed based on number of attempts and mileage.

Interesting point Cico I have to agree would seem a bit silly to register that as people would just practice in game with a similar physics, but wouldn't it also mean people would make multiple accounts if they fail with one? All it takes is an e-mail address?

I would think it might be to show how much time some people have put in compared to others with driving miles and such maybe? Similar or exact times might mean lower driving miles goes higher?

Interesting point Cico I have to agree would seem a bit silly to register that as people would just practice in game with a similar physics, but wouldn't it also mean people would make multiple accounts if they fail with one? All it takes is an e-mail address?

I would think it might be to show how much time some people have put in compared to others with driving miles and such maybe? Similar or exact times might mean lower driving miles goes higher?

why do people bring up limited laps? Has there been a precedence of PD doing something like that? Cause otherwise it's just a feature that is used in games quiet often.
Riot is the first that springs to mind :P
(Big image)
http://www.onrpgblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/infograph.jpg

Also i doubt there will be weekly cut offs? Cause it just seems silly to put in the effort and the money into developing a promotional free app and then cut half the people off after the very first weeks.

Limited laps has always been brought up at every GT Academy but never happened :P. I think people have brought it up more this time due to some of the statistics now being show, but we will have to see I guess :)!

Ye I'm with you on that I can't see how they will cut people out if they want people to try it :P, but it's also the numbers reason why I also can't see them cutting people out of the competition :P.

Back