GTP_WRS-Online : Special VIII - The 3D3 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Hydro
  • 150 comments
Weird. I tried to follow you in before, and I got a [280] room not found error, no one showing in the main lounge, so I started it up. I'll see if I can get Dale across.

That's what I got when I tried to rejoin them.

I got in really late guys so I won't be practicing tonight, but if I'm needed for quali purposes I could always jump in the lobby for a bit.

We're done, and watching real quali now. Tim and I pre-qualified, great job, Tim! 👍

You convinced me, Kev. Go KK!

What a weird bug...alternate universes...:odd:

The PSN servers were definitely in a bad state tonight. I hope they get better for our events this weekend.

Kind of neat to watch the action on TV after running the track tonight.

Kind of neat to watch the action on TV after running the track tonight.

Yeah, but how slow were those n00bs struggling with their low aero packages? I ran faster'n that in two laps on Hards!

:D

Damn regulations/reality :sly:

It would be nice to see Kamui do well.

Ealirendur
Yeah, but how slow were those n00bs struggling with their low aero packages? I ran faster'n that in two laps on Hards!

Darn reality and it's lack of fake rail like grip.

Darn reality and it's lack of fake rail like grip.

I don't think Bernie allowed the 2.08 update to be installed yet :sly:

Watching Sebs quali lap, he uses the same gears as I do in very corner with just a couple of exceptions. He uses 3rd in Deg 2, I use 4th. He downshifts to 4th in the last right hander of the esses to set up for Dunlop, which I only have to do on worn tires (what a n00b :lol: ). And he uses 3rd for the second half of spoon, I use 4th. My transmission is set up almost exactly like a Red Bull. :odd:

Reports are that online is having major issues to the point that Sony/PD confirmed them. I'm getting this from forums so who knows.

Let's hope we can get in quali today or we will have to come up with a contingency for tomorrow. Maybe a shortened 2 stage quali pre-race? Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Well, it's good that it's been confirmed. Without that I wouldn't have guessed they were having problems with the online. :P

Not like we had some strange alternate universe or anything last night... :ouch:

It took a while, and multiple attempts, but I was eventually able to get into the main lobby and setup the room.
I'll leave it open until quali to be safe... if there is such a thing ATM :nervous:

Be sure to leave extra time and join the quali session a bit early today just in case there are connection issues.

So be it, thought I'd help fill the grid up.

Haven't had a second free in the past 3 days, but was really looking forward to this.

You're welcome to race with us and start from the back of the grid.

Still haven't started round 1... room issues... we're about to go... as soon as Dale returns.

Unfortunately I couldnt make it to qualifying. I hope you guys didnt have too much serious issues... See you guys tomorrow.

Unfortunately I couldnt make it to qualifying. I hope you guys didnt have too much serious issues... See you guys tomorrow.

Not terribly bad... network speaking. Once we got rolling it was ok, but be sure to join well in advance tomorrow just to be sure you don't have any connection problems.

Here is the starting grid for the 3D3 Japanese Grand Prix tomorrow:

starting_grid.png

Here are the results from the three rounds of qualification:

quali_round1.png
quali_round2.png
quali_round3.png

Notes:
  • Ealirendur is not participating in the grand prix so his result is removed from the starting grid.
  • Gravitron ran a pre-quali lap of 1'32.481 which put him in 10th. The best position he could have qualified regardless of time was behind all round 1 qualifiers or 6th.
  • PASM and Gooners didn't run any pre-quali or make the knockout quali so they start in the back and order based on current handicap

Any other last minute additions will start at the back based on handicap. We will not be splitting into two lounge so we'll max the event at 15 drivers -- the 14 listed above means only one spot is open. First come, first serve.

Please confirm/cancel within an hour of the start tomorrow so we can decide on a proper lounge setup. 13+ and we'll go without mics in 3D3_C.

NOTE: JTV ran Q3 on hards so he will start the race on hards. All other drivers who advanced to Q3 ran on softs and thus must start the race on softs. All other drivers have their choice of starting tire compound.

Last edited:
Darn it looks like quali was maybe more fun than the actual race! 👍 Wish I'd been there.

Congrats Shawn on the pole, and Kev and Tim for the next 2 spots. Some super fast times! :drool:

I just confirmed, and will probably get in a lounge around 7:30-8pm PT tonight for practice, before watching the real race. :cheers:

The pole position was unexpected. I was hoping to get 4th, maybe 3rd for tomorrow's race.

I guess I was lucky to get all my mistakes over with very early on in Q2. I ended up having to pit for new tires on my 3rd lap because I spun twice on the outlap in that session.

I might hop in the lounge for a bit tonight to get some practice in and possibly work on practicing standing starts.

It would be nice if we do the knockout quali again to figure out if there's a way we could do it in race mode for the replay. Would be run to watch it in replay and maybe capture videos of the best laps.

I saved all my mistakes for Q3... Had very good laps early in both other sessions. 1'29 flat on full fuel in Q2 on lap 3. Had a decent shot at 1'28.5 in Q2 towards the end of the session, but I blew the lap... lost my rhythm after that and never had it in Q3... Had one good lap early and spun coming out of Casio... Then had one last chance at the very end as I passed the finish before time was up, but I had a few sloppy corners and managed a 1'29.8... oh well, it's a long race tomorrow... just hope I can survive turn 1/2 without losing spots or any incidents and then I'll be happy.

I'm hoping to practice later tonight on hards... getting too used to the grip on softs after all that quali.

NOTE: JTV ran Q3 on hards so he will start the race on hards. All other drivers who advanced to Q3 ran on softs and thus must start the race on softs. All other drivers have their choice of starting tire compound.

Had a dream quali session, that Q3 lap is a PB for me. I set the time on my 4th lap, and ran wide into the sand at Dunlop on my 5th lap.

I was so deep in the sand that it took me about a minute to get out of it. I was making sure I gapped the field, but then I think (IIRC) Jon was spun at Deg 2, and I backed off, forgetting that Marc was right behind me. I help him up and caused him to have a collision with my back end, but he elected not to penalize me. It was a genuine mistake, so my apologies are in order. Thanks for understanding, Marc. 👍

Back