GTP_WRS-Online : Special VIII - The 3D3 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Hydro
  • 150 comments
Yes, that's what they said, but you can't believe anything until you test it yourself.

They also said tire wear in "endurance events" and we know that was a bunch of hog wash so don't quote me a bullet point for PD without testing it. :sly:

I really hope they didn't mess with the F1 tires. The original model basically allowed for 2 or 3 stop races if they are full length. It may be the only tire wear they got close to right in the first place.

Hydro
I really hope they didn't mess with the F1 tires. The original model basically allowed for 2 or 3 stop races if they are full length. It may be the only tire wear they got close to right in the first place.

Yah, based on my practice tonight we will be good. 2 or 3 stops will be the strategy. I don't think you can do a 1 stop and use racing softs for one stint, which is required.

If you can stay clean 2 stops is going to be fairly routine, but a couple high speed spins and you may have to make 3 stops.

Now that suspension ride height changed were made do suspension settings carry over from online to offline? I'm getting my first practice session in and internet goes out.:ouch:

They should, but the Ferrari F1 cars would be exempt from ride height alterations as they don't have adjustable ride height.

With the support races on Sunday, I'm thinking a Saturday practice session is in order 👍

That will allow us to try the new physics, start procedures, and run some mini races to get used to Suzuka as a group.

I'll probably be in the lounge running this tonight. I need time on the soft tire.

I'll be in the lounge tonight for sure, but probably not going to make it tomorrow. I'll also probably not be in until my usual later time slot.

I'm torn between practice on softs and hards.

Softs will be used for qualifying which will be important and you have to learn to "trust" their extra grip to get the most out of a lap. But hards are required for at least one stint and a long stint at that if you want to reduce the number of stops required.

Get too used to softs and the hards feel very slippery, get too used to hards and you don't get everything the softs have to offer. A tricky thing to manage.

I can go quite a while on hards *if* I don't spin, but a couple spins and their longevity reduces to that of softs... so going with a strategy that relies on a very long stint on hards is going to mean relying on not making a mistake... not an easy proposition, especially considering there will be other people making mistakes on the track and potentially faster guys on softs around you.

Fun stuff!

I have not put one second into this yet. Tonight will be my first go! If you see me on track be careful! ;)

Al

I am headed into the main lounge right away!

Last edited:
I ran a 1'29.022 on softs in practice tonight, but didn't post to the board as it was with under a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Every time I've posted has been with more than 3/4ths full fuel load.

I also made an adjustment to my tune. I lowered the front aero to 140 from 147. It helped stabilize the car and neutralized the oversteer I was experiencing, specifically through Dunlop. Everything else still matches the tune that is posted in the race information.

I think my setup works better with hard tires compared to the softs.

I'm in the A lounge for 45 mins or so. I don't want to go in the Main and mess up it being set up for the Support races. Good luck to everyone racing later today.

The support races are tomorrow Scott. Go ahead and use the main lounge, that;'s where I'll be later this afternoon 👍

I'll join the main lounge for some practice in about an hour.

In the lounge now running F1 practice with Tim and Christophe 👍

My up shift paddle is hosed again, but with the F1 wheel for the T500 the buttons are accessible enough that I managed to map the one near my thumb (PL) to up shift and it works pretty well... at least until I get yet another set of paddles switches from ThrustBreakMaster.

Looking forward to the support races tomorrow, hope some of the reserves show up because the confirmed list is pretty short.

LoL I thought they were saturday as well :dunce:.

I've changed my registration I will be at the earlier support race.

Also I wont be able to make the Saturday qualifing so I will have to qualify during the week.

My, this has crept up fast. I have a holiday tomorrow (not on race day, naturally :banghead:), and should be OK now for both support races. Will have possible distractions (little person awake) for the second.

Going in to lounge for a bit of early practice. Not had much practice yet.

Lounge is open for pre-race practice. I'll be AFK for a bit, but feel free to join.

Here are the results from the first support race:

support1_results.jpg

support1_quali.png

Great win by Tim, and a solid second place effort by Shawn. 👍

I was fortunate to run a low mistake race with no major spins, just a few minor issues. Had some nice battles here and there, although the primary battle is just keeping this thing pointed in the right direction and on the black stuff.

Here's my tune for anyone who might be interested -

Springs 20.0/20.0
Dampers 2 All Around
ARB 7/7
Camber 2.5/1.2
Toe -0.05/+0.20

LSD 8/34/6

Aero 145/200

Brakes 5/2

Transmission

Final Drive Far Right

Top Speed Far Left

Set

Final = 5503

The car hit the limiter in draft one time in race, coming into 130R, but that probably actually set me to the speed I could make the corner at.

I borrowed heavily from Marc's ideas on LSD, brakes, and the max spring rates.

I don't think I got close to the limiter when I was in the slipstream.

I had 3 spins in the race. One as I was just starting to catch back up to Tim after losing his slipstream that I lost 15 seconds on, then another spin coming out of Degner 2 which lost me another 8 seconds, and then one major slide out of the hairpin on hard tires that cost me another 6 seconds.

I might have had a good shot at battling for the win, but being in the slipstream is very sketchy with these cars and the narrow width of the track so there's no saying I could have pulled off a pass for the lead.

Lounge is open for pre-race practice. Ren and Jon are already here.

Good luck to those running. I won't be able to participate in the race.

Hopefully it's less chaotic at the start this time.

Back