The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Hey all Im new so go easy. I searched all these forums for an answer to this but couldnt find one & I posted this question in the hardware forum but figure I might get an answer here too.

I picked up a brand new TM t500rs and the F1 addon wheel.
I played the stock wheel w/GT5 on the PS3 for a few minutes & its great, so I decided to try out the F1 wheel. I dont have a gaming computer so I have to update the firmware through my laptop. I installed the drivers just like the TM guide says and made sure it showed up in the gaming controller list. Then I ran the firmware updater program and after about a minute of nothing happening I got the following error message:

"ERROR:time-out device should have arrived in BULK (code 0434100001)"

Now the wheel doesnt show up in the game controllers list on my laptop and my PS3 doesnt recognize it, so the wheel is effectively useless (got to use it for about 15 minutes).

Has anyone else experienced this problem before? Anyone know a fix action? I sent TM an email but havent heard back from them yet.

Hope that when I get this fixed I'll get to race some of you all online & thanks for any help you can offer!

snyde044
Hey all Im new so go easy. I searched all these forums for an answer to this but couldnt find one & I posted this question in the hardware forum but figure I might get an answer here too.

I played the stock wheel w/GT5 on the PS3 for a few minutes & its great, so I decided to try out the F1 wheel. I dont have a gaming computer so I have to update the firmware through my laptop. I installed the drivers just like the TM guide says and made sure it showed up in the gaming controller list. Then I ran the firmware updater program and after about a minute of nothing happening I got the following error message:

Now the wheel doesnt show up in the game controllers list on my laptop and my PS3 doesnt recognize it, so the wheel is effectively useless (got to use it for about 15 minutes).

Has anyone else experienced this problem before? Anyone know a fix action? I sent TM an email but havent heard back from them yet.

Hope that when I get this fixed I'll get to race some of you all online & thanks for any help you can offer!

What did Thrustmaster tell you when you reported the issue?

Already out of stock?

Yes, the initial production run sold out in less than 8 hours. I have more on the bench being assembled now, and may have a few 15kg units available as well. I would estimate that limited quantities may be available in another 2 weeks or so.

Also, here's an update on the shipping status, for those of you who placed orders:

All domestic (U.S.) orders shipped yesterday (23-Oct); all international orders have been delayed slightly. I didn't anticipate the large number of non-U.S. orders, so I don't have the required customs forms on-hand. These orders SHOULD go out tomorrow, but it could get delayed until Friday or Saturday (my wife is going in tomorrow for some semi-minor outpatient surgery, so depending on how that goes I may have time to do the shipping tomorrow . . . if not, the items will ship on Thursday or Friday).

If you're an international customer who placed an order, rest assured that it will ship as soon as possible, and thanks in advance for your patience!

Nothing yet They haven't responded. Just wanted to see if it was a known issue but I couldnt find anything on it. I went back into the firmware updater to try again but it says I need to connect a device. I'll continue troubleshooting as best I can & if I can fix it I'll post it up just in case somebody else runs into the same issue

Nothing yet They haven't responded. Just wanted to see if it was a known issue but I couldnt find anything on it. I went back into the firmware updater to try again but it says I need to connect a device. I'll continue troubleshooting as best I can & if I can fix it I'll post it up just in case somebody else runs into the same issue

1. Get the S/N from under the base and take note of it.
2. Make a short video clip of the problem.
3. Get a copy of your proof of purchase.
4. Put this all in an email for TM
5. be prepared for a wait of a day or two when trying to get a response.

I've had the T500 and had issues that were resolved by TM and found their CS quiet good.

It might just be a driver issue that they can help you with, without needing any returns

snyde044

I'm just curious, is yours a "v3" or higher unit?

Carson79
1. Get the S/N from under the base and take note of it.
2. Make a short video clip of the problem.
3. Get a copy of your proof of purchase.
4. Put this all in an email for TM
5. be prepared for a wait of a day or two when trying to get a response.

I've had the T500 and had issues that were resolved by TM and found their CS quiet good.

It might just be a driver issue that they can help you with, without needing any returns

I'm wondering if flashing the memory would put it back to a factory state where he could start over?

Several new T500 wheel add-ons (& new pics) from Sam Maxwell :

357hjr9.jpg

r74y81.jpg

NASCAR: Momo Mod 31 320mm diameter wheel:
2rwq71c.jpg

11m84jt.jpg

Momo Mod 31 320mm diameter with 2 rotarys, a toggle, 5 buttons and paddle shifters sized for the larger wheel:
10gkwpi.jpg

WildRun
Several new T500 wheel add-ons (& new pics) from Sam Maxwell :

NASCAR: Momo Mod 31 320mm diameter wheel:

Momo Mod 31 320mm diameter with 2 rotarys, a toggle, 5 buttons and paddle shifters sized for the larger wheel:

Sweet!!

You make these to sell or just for yourself?

I really want a momo wheel :(

Same problem. The wheel now stay as brick ((((. Warranty expires, so i only hope you will receive some helpfull answer from TM support and post it there.

Sweet!!

You make these to sell or just for yourself?

I really want a momo wheel :(

I don't think Wildrun's the guy building the wheel. I remember in his earlier post regarding this wheel, he mentioned Sam Maxwell and Sam, believe posts his latest exploit on iRacing forum. Those are sweet wheels! The T500RS GT rim doesn't look half bad- it's the same simple approach totally unlike the one on the CSR-E.

So i got home from work today, and no reply from TM yet but i managed to fix my problem on my own.

I completely uninstalled the drivers from my laptop and unplugged the wheel. Reinstalled the drivers and plugged the wheel back in, it still didnt show up on the game controller list but i ran the firmware updater program anyway and it worked this time through. Its a little strange to me but im not complaining because it works great... Now i just have to re-learn how to drive a racing sim with a wheel!

Anybody know of any decent beginner/intermediate online leagues with some actual rules so you do t get people wrecking you and running you off? Ive done the whole 'join a random game' thing for a wbile & its getting kind of old.

Happy racing & i hope this helps somebody else who has this problem

Does anybody know if Amazon or Fry's will drop the T500rs price for the upcoming holidays again?

I know the T500rs was as low as $382 last year around mid-December on Amazon. Fry's was selling the wheel and TH8rs shifter combo for $550.

So i got home from work today, and no reply from TM yet but i managed to fix my problem on my own.

I completely uninstalled the drivers from my laptop and unplugged the wheel. Reinstalled the drivers and plugged the wheel back in, it still didnt show up on the game controller list but i ran the firmware updater program anyway and it worked this time through. Its a little strange to me but im not complaining because it works great... Now i just have to re-learn how to drive a racing sim with a wheel!

Anybody know of any decent beginner/intermediate online leagues with some actual rules so you do t get people wrecking you and running you off? Ive done the whole 'join a random game' thing for a wbile & its getting kind of old.

Happy racing & i hope this helps somebody else who has this problem

Happy days 👍 If you find a league please let me know. The game does get old just randomly jumping from seasonal to seasonal

Gotta say im not exactly happy with the wheel after g27..need alot of tuning up with PC games and still not working as im used to..:(

I'm kinda just driving around...when with g27 i was flooring it on the limits..:guilty:

Don't know...it feels too "light" and "smooth"..g27 was smooth too and it reacted better with the moves i made...grr..hopefully this is just because its new wheel..

Gotta say im not exactly happy with the wheel after g27..need alot of tuning up with PC games and still not working as im used to..:(

I'm kinda just driving around...when with g27 i was flooring it on the limits..:guilty:

Don't know...it feels too "light" and "smooth"..g27 was smooth too and it reacted better with the moves i made...grr..hopefully this is just because its new wheel..

I think it has to do with not fighting the left and right osilating that the G series has. I had the same issue with the CSW at first. After a week or so I am liking not fighting it alot more, but at first I really had trouble getting use to the light feeling of the wheel. It is much easier to recover from slides with no left right movement. Give it a bit longer I think youll be happy.

Yes, you should join our league. We have a very good group and some of have been racing together for 2 years now. See my signature. :)

I don't think Wildrun's the guy building the wheel. I remember in his earlier post regarding this wheel, he mentioned Sam Maxwell and Sam, believe posts his latest exploit on iRacing forum. Those are sweet wheels! The T500RS GT rim doesn't look half bad- it's the same simple approach totally unlike the one on the CSR-E.

I happen to have been in talks with Sam a few days ago (I'm going to buy a MOMO mod12c from him) and I can confirm that all of these have been made by him. He's selling them for a pretty reasonable price and offered to customize them according to my needs.

You should contact him on the iRacing forums (I'm not sure I'm free to share his e-mail address) if you're having any questions. :)

A quick shipping update -- all of the international orders have shipped as-of this afternoon, so everybody's load cell should now be en route.

Now to build-up some more . . . not sure on a build time for the next release. I have enough parts for a few more, but I have several earmarked for a distributor in Australia who will be serving the Aus/NZ market (more on that later).

Received my Bodin Load cell mod today and just finished installing. Here's a pic...

DSC_3163-2.jpg

Now I can use my T500RS pedals with my T500RS wheel vice using my CSPs.

I love the DSD Tilton Style Pads on my CSPs so I had to see if they would work on the T500RS pedals, they did. :) Now I've got to order another set of Tilton pads for my CSPs.

Can you use the brake mod when the pedals are in the Rally mode, like inverted etc, it says on the manual only use in long run mode?

Yes.

"Long run mode" only refers to pedal travel, so you need to install the metal bracked at the point with longest pedal travel. Then it's no matter if you use the pedals "GT" or "F1" style. Both works fine!

Hi all !

I find my clutch pedal too "smooth", does a clutch mod exist to reinforce my pedal ?
The Bodin Load cell seems really nice, does it work well with GT5 ?

thriller69

I feel the same too. The T500's wheel seems to be much heavier than my Old G25. When you need to make sudden quick corrections, the G25 is better, but most likely less realistic. With both wheels disconnected from power, the G25 rim is easier to rotate.

A few years ago, I got to drive my buddy's 2006 Pontiac GTO. The steering in that car felt like manual steering compared to my Solara. I'd much rather have precision on the road than parking lot ease at 120mph.

I feel the same too. The T500's wheel seems to be much heavier than my Old G25. When you need to make sudden quick corrections, the G25 is better, but most likely less realistic. With both wheels disconnected from power, the G25 rim is easier to rotate.

Now that i actually played abit more have to say this is the best wheel i've had to date. :)

thriller69
Now that i actually played abit more have to say this is the best wheel i've had to date. :)

Try lowering the FFB (in GT5) to 3. It was suggested by a buddy who's very much into league racing (OwensRacing).

The T500 is a very very good wheel. It takes a little getting used to a new wheel sometimes, but once you've got the feel for it the T500 is very satisfying. I think lowering the FFB helps and once your more accustomed to it you can add FFB for more realism. I think lower values helps with tire ware. Enjoy your wheel

Back