Ooh Barracuda - The End of 'Christine' R.I.P

• Thread starter Barracuda
  • 386 comments
Boss-Barracuda
My adventure started when my father checked me out of school at 1:30. We went back to our house, had a little something to eat, and waited until about 2:30 for Gene (the guy with the trailer) to get there.

mycudasmall1hh9.jpg

This is what my car would be traveling back on. Gene also has tons of experience with trailers so he's the only one I would trust with my car.

mycudasmall02pc5.jpg

The trip there took a little more than an hour and we ended up getting there around 4:00.

mycudasmall03ij9.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mycudasmall04wz7.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mycudasmall05bl9.jpg

It only took about a half an hour to load up the car and get the papers signed. Gene took extra precautions to make sure that the car wouldn't move, which made me feel good.

moneyrr9.jpg

I ended up paying with three $1000 money orders.

mycudasmall06qt5.jpg

Those extra precautions proved themselves to be useful as the car didn't budge and inch, even when Gene had to brake quite hard.

mycudasmall07jo6.jpg

mycudasmall11pf3.jpg

This is the right quarter panel I've talked about before. It will need a bit of work, and plenty of new metal, but i'm dedicated to fixing it. That bump on top is from a branch that hit it in a recent wind storm. He ended up sealing it so it wouldn't rust. The trim in the back accounts for a lot of surface rust because of the holes where the trim goes into. Whoever last tried to fix it didn't prime or protect it right.

mycudasmall08kf5.jpg

273 V8 with a two barrel carburetor. The only things I'll have to work on here is finding and installing power steering, and a new windshield wiper pump. Some disc brakes would be nice as well, drum brakes scare the hell out of me.

mycudasmall09ji7.jpg

mycudasmall10kj0.jpg

mycudasmall12ne8.jpg

All original interior. Seat covers are there because the seats have a few rips, but they're still sittable. Lucky enough for me, a friend of Genes just bought an industrial sewing machine. The seat in the back, along with the area between the trunk and inside (not shown in pic), fold allowing for quite a large amount of space.

mycudasmall13lp3.jpg

mycudasmall14xz3.jpg

By the time everyone left and the Barracuda was safe in my garage it was around 7:00. Seemed to be quite a successful trip.

Something I found to be quite interesting was that the car was originally owned by someone that lived in Tavares, one town over from where I live. I have all the documentation from the first owner down to even tire changes, which probably adds quite a lot more to the value of my car. I am the third owner, and it is very strange to find out that I just brought the car back to its original area.

The only things I have to do now is get the car insured, get my license, and give her a name. Oh, and power steering might help a bit :D

Last edited:
Congrats man 👍! I know how much the car means to you and it's cool that you were finally able to get it. Best of luck to you with it.

And for a name might I suggest Nancy? She was the singer from Heart :lol:.

What an absolutely beautiful car! I love it! I'm quite jealous, it looks like a great project (one that won't require too much time/effort, but enough to learn). I'd likely take a radically different approach by comparison to other people, but alas, I don't have the car here to work my own magic.

As far as names go?

Debbie. This one feels like a Debbie to me...

I'm going to have to spend a little time with the car to give her a name. I already have the feeling to think of an older name, I just have to relax and think until it comes to me. That's how I named my dad's mustang.

By the way I have finished editing the video but youtube is doing "maintenance" so I can't upload it.

Congratulations and good luck. Consider looking up the original owner (it hasn't been THAT long). He may want a ride in his old car!

Congrats man! Pretty jealous of you that you got the car you've dreamed of. Maybe, just maybe i'll be in your shoes by the end of this upcoming summer. 👍

Congratulations!

A beautiful car.

Would putting a small four barrel on the car improve fuel economy at all? I hear that two barrels and eight cylinders aren't a good combination.

Old cars first steal your heart, and then all of your money. :dopey:

That one quarter panel makes me nervous, but it's in fantastic shape for forty-one years old.

Three owners!? Only Three in forty-one years? Nice.

I think Christine wouldn't be a good name for a Plymouth. :scared:

EDIT: Ooooohhhh. Barracuda! dunduhduhlunduhduhlunduhduhlunduhduhlunduhduhlunduhduhlundah-nah ba-now!

Diablo', nice car you got there! Congrats on your car! 👍 Yeah, have fun restoring it. :D Man, just give me a year and i'll try to get a car as well...... :(

Congrats on the car, it looks great 👍 Doesn't look too badly out of shape either.

whoa. that's even an EARLY Barracuda.
i've had newer cars in a lot worse shape than that! you got REALLY lucky. it needs touchup and that's it.

as for a name...anything but Christine

No, It's "Ooooooooooooohhhhh Barra-Barracuuuuda...."

;)

Anyway, I'd suggest upgrading the suspension components to Formula S, if that hasn't been done already. That 273 should make that car a handler...as old cars go.

Nice find! whatever you do, I'm sure it'll look great!

That car actually seems in really good condition for only $3,000. I would say you got a heck of a bargain. The power steering conversion will be an excellent upgrade and you should be able to do it for around $200.00-$300.00 depending on if you want used or brand new parts. White does hide a lot of body work problems so you might find more holes in the car as you continue to work on it but overall it looks to be in great shape. Your also right about upgrading to disk brakes. Drum brakes suck thats for sure so I would at least upgrade the front to disks after a while when you get some extra money.
Congrats and keep us updated on the progress.

It looks pretty straight for its age. Nice catch!

Don't worry about the drum brakes. My old Poncho has drums all round, and it is fine. They're not even power brakes. I would put the brakes low on the priority list, assuming they are functioning properly. If you DO replace the brakes, get the whole shebang - master cylinder, all four wheels, etc. and possibly even the pedal. At least look and see what hole the actuator pushrod is mounted in, so you can make sure to move it to the proper location on your existing pedal. Different brake systems require different force and so they may have several locations of the pushrod to go to provide more or less leverage.

Power steering is probably easier that brakes. Good luck!

Oh yeah Duke the power steering conversion is much easier than the brake conversion. FOr the power steering conversion he will just need a power steering gear box, power steering pump, power steering brackets, a power steering belt for the crankshaft, and lines. Thats about all there is to the power steering conversion. Very easy and quick to do.
Brakes are alot more complicated and I wont even go into the full details. As I said in the previous post even if he just did the front disk conversion it would make a massive difference in the car.
I would do the power steering conversion first. It will be much more enjoyable to drive then do brakes later.

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it :D

I updated the first post with the video. She's still got some pedal in her but i was taking it a bit easy in the video.

As for her name, I still haven't decided completely but I was thinking maybe Chelsea. I'm not too sure about it but I at least know I'm looking for a name with a C. I did consider Christine and I feel about the same as I do with Chelsea. What do you guys think?

One more thing, I found out that she has air ride suspension in the back, so I can raise or lower the back. I can also apparently raise or lower the front suspension by adjusting something.

niiiiice find, that would be a hell of a find in Mexico as these were wold only with slant sick power, a 273 is a way rare engine here, sounds good too.

Also, seemed really cheap for such a good shape, you might find more holes in it as you progress, but it is an awesome project car, all you need are Cragars or Keystones and drop it a few inches, and the aforementiones brakes and steering and that's it... well, a moon foot pedal would be cool too.
plans on hopping up the engine?

I'm not much of an exhaust note fan, but that was truly gorgeous.

And you know you want that nose pointing nice and high to the horizon and the back end scraping every bump :D

Back