Ooh Barracuda - The End of 'Christine' R.I.P

• Thread starter Barracuda
  • 386 comments
I was actually thinking about taking it to a car show once I got it registered. People at classic car shows are always pretty cool, as well as having a lot of good stories to tell. It would be really good to have a network of people like you said Omnis, especially considering the amount if money I'll have to pay to get the rust fixed and the car painted.

As for the paint, I know there are people that sell classic paint, the problem is finding them. I need to find out the color of my car, plus pick out a classic Chrysler red for the rims as you said sniffs.

The more I think about it, the more I'm for getting a four barrel. For one thing there would be quite a large increase in performance, plus I'd have the ability to get close to the same gas mileage if I drove it correctly.

talk to ANY mopar guys you can find. they'll give you extensive rescources. I got some info from allpar.com(?) when I wanted some goodie info for my ONLY chrysler product, a 90 Acclaim. I may have the color for you, allready. see if "autum red" was used anywhere on a cuda. *smirk* that's the ORIGINAL Christine's color, btw

talk to ANY mopar guys you can find. they'll give you extensive rescources. I got some info from allpar.com(?) when I wanted some goodie info for my ONLY chrysler product, a 90 Acclaim. I may have the color for you, allready. see if "autum red" was used anywhere on a cuda. *smirk* that's the ORIGINAL Christine's color, btw

I'd love to see his Barracuda in Plum Crazy with baby moons and black stripes on the side.

Flat Black stripes, that is

I've looked around on google images and none of the other colors that were available are appealing to me. I think it looks great in the color it is now, and I plan to keep it that color when I get the rust fixed.

I'll have to look into autumn red sniffs, thanks 👍

I'd love to see his Barracuda in Plum Crazy with baby moons and black stripes on the side.

Flat Black stripes, that is

*thunks you one on the head*
doof. you don't do that to pre muscle car era ones. especially not a nice survivor like he's got!!. besides, that's not a "muscley" version. and you get more money out of them if you have to sell them later if they're in "concours" condition.

a vehicle like this sweet old cuda is an INVESTMENT value item.

a vehicle like this sweet old cuda is an INVESTMENT value item.

Exactly. I'm very lucky that I got it now. Once investors catch on to cars like this, fat chance you'll ever be able to buy one. Just look at the 1970 Barracuda for example.

I hope I never have to sell it though. I want this car to be to me as Eliminator is to ZZ Top (only good comparison I could think of).

All the pictures that I have taken of the car haven't really showed any of the issues in detail, so I decided to take some pictures today to show you.

[Click for 1600 x 1200]

I've cleaned out the interior since the last time I took a picture of it, and also took those ugly seat covers off. It's going to be a royal pain in the ass to find that interior dash piece, especially in gold.

There's my non-working radio and air 'blowing' system that is full of leaves :lol:

I was told by the previous owner that the miles are correct, which can be both hard and easy to believe. He could be lying and it's on its second time around, but he barely drove it so he could be telling the truth.

A new leak. Not a big deal, I was planning on changing the transmission gasket again this weekend anyway.

That's fun to be next to while the car is running. One slip up and my hand or even my arm is gone :scared:

Very nice to still have that.

I need to fix that sooner or later. I have no idea why, but someone along the line mcgivered it and now it scrapes every time I open and close the trunk.

The separator and folding seat are very cool features that are quite before its time.

A locking gas cap, especially right now, is one of my favorite features of the car. I don't think it's stock, but I assume that it was bought some time around 1974.

Like I had said, the wheels need some refurbishing but they're in great condition. They were purchased by the previous owner because when he bought the car it had 13" factory steelies with hubcaps. He bought 14"s because the 13" rims caused the speedometer to be off. When I bought the car he gave me the 13" rims and hubcaps, which are nice to have, especially when I get my rims refurbished.

lol I ain't seen 13's since my 83 Camry!

untill you showed the blowups, you wouldn't think that had that many paint bubbles! I'd be more worried about that nasty putty dip. most of that's nothing that a good sandblasting (or organic media) couldn't take care of. I'd like to throttle the dipBLEEP that put fake fur on the dash!

your gonna be looking at a few thou in redoo, but that's about par for the course.

there's a classic tire site out there that can give you the original tire size AND the modern equivelant.
http://www.cocker.com and, yes, it's supposed to have 14's on it. 7.00-14's or 7.50-14's. the radial reccomendation is 195/75's
looks like they also have stock steelies.

I'd like to throttle the dipBLEEP that put fake fur on the dash!

It's actually meant for velcro. I felt the same exact way when I first saw it, but then realized I'm actually missing an interior dash piece. Like I said under the interior pic, it's going to be one hell of a bitch to find in gold.

1966_Olive_273_S_Barracuda_interior.sized.jpg

I was really hoping to get a summer job but unfortunately it didn't work out that way. Now I have no way to pay for what I want to do with it unless my dad gets any more renovation jobs. Once Ford takes my dad's mustang back (they're really taking a long time) i'm going to start going to car shows. Hopefully some of the older car guys will have respect for what I'm trying to do and maybe even help me out a bit :D

It's kind of a good thing that I don't have a job though. Now I can go up and spend a month in New Hampshire rather then just a week. It's going to be nice to get back to where I should be for a little bit, and the longer I can stay the better.

By the way, are you sure you linked to the right site :odd:

Knowing the times, it was probably a lot of rubber wrapped around a tiny hub

What were they, though, 90-series? The Nova wears 80-series sidewalls.

By the way, that is a BEAUTIFUL interior. I've gotta ask Chrysler what the hell happened.

Edit: one more thing: that classic tire site is http://www.cokertire.com/ . You got some weird website, there.

typoes happen. at least it was CLEAN

most comps would nanny filter that anyway :P

so I'm horny :P

First the good news. I changed all my interior light bulbs today and i'm happy to say that I just found out they all work.

The bad news is when I backed out of my garage there was a big puddle of transmission fluid on the ground. I know it can't be the pan gasket because this is the second time I've changed it. My dad suspects the other gaskets which is most likely the problem. I'll need to take it to a shop to have it fixed, but I'll need to get some money before that happens.

The windshield could also set me back an estimated $400, but that's only if the future insurance doesn't cover the accidental crack in my windshield.

EDIT: And just a by the way, the 'performance indicator' shows the vacuum. I can't believe I thought it was the gas mileage *major facepalm*

First the good news. I changed all my interior light bulbs today and i'm happy to say that I just found out they all work.

The bad news is when I backed out of my garage there was a big puddle of transmission fluid on the ground. I know it can't be the pan gasket because this is the second time I've changed it. My dad suspects the other gaskets which is most likely the problem. I'll need to take it to a shop to have it fixed, but I'll need to get some money before that happens.

The windshield could also set me back an estimated $400, but that's only if the future insurance doesn't cover the accidental crack in my windshield.

EDIT: And just a by the way, the 'performance indicator' shows the vacuum. I can't believe I thought it was the gas mileage *major facepalm*

And there goes my respect for the gauge:yuck:

Any Florida insurance should replace your windshield for free.

Any Florida insurance should replace your windshield for free.

Wow really? Here in Michigan you have to pay extra on your policy and then pay a $100 deductible. I need a windscreen right now and I'm fighting with my insurance company because they want to put the $400 aftermarket one on and I want the $900 OEM one.

I had to pay CASH when I got a windshield swap...and that was in a Lumina (and only 100 bucks less, too).

don't just check the gaskets. make sure all the bolts are torqued to spec and not stripped. also, look it up and make sure it doesn't have a history of a porus tranny case (my first car had a badly cast tranny case).

63, right? I MIGHT just have some big help info for you floating around here. a 63 Motor garage manual (and for anybody else doing a 46-63, including some HD trucks)

No, the Barracuda started to sell in '65, and went through '69, I believe, when the new 'Cuda came out. That's a couple years later than your book.

No, the Barracuda started to sell in '65, and went through '69, I believe, when the new 'Cuda came out. That's a couple years later than your book.

The Barracuda started out in 1964 as the Valiant-Barracuda. 64-66 shared the same body style, but with a few changes here and there. In 1967 they made the Barracuda its own body and from 67-69 it looked exactly the same, no changes that I know of in appearance. They changed the body style for the last time in 1970 which lasted until 1974. The 71 Barracuda had a different grill, but from 72 on they went back to the 70 style grill but with different tail lights.

The tranny fluid leak could be coming from the rear seal of the Tranny which is VERY easy and cheap to fix yourself. Look at the back of the tranny where the driveshaft enters the tranny. If you see fluid dripping back there or if it is all wet from tranny fluid then its an easy fix.
Wow right when I was typing this I noticed Barracuda was playing on the radio. What are the chances of that? lol

The tranny fluid leak could be coming from the rear seal of the Tranny which is VERY easy and cheap to fix yourself. Look at the back of the tranny where the driveshaft enters the tranny. If you see fluid dripping back there or if it is all wet from tranny fluid then its an easy fix.
Wow right when I was typing this I noticed Barracuda was playing on the radio. What are the chances of that? lol

That's what my dad was talking about but he said it wouldn't be so easy to fix. He said you'd have to take the driveshaft off and do a few other things, which would be made hard by the fact that I don't have a lift.

That's what my dad was talking about but he said it wouldn't be so easy to fix. He said you'd have to take the driveshaft off and do a few other things, which would be made hard by the fact that I don't have a lift.
Its very easy. All you need is a jack. I bet you could do all this within 1 hour max.
1. Make sure the car is in park and block the wheels.
2. Jack any part of the car up enough so you can fit under the tranny.
3. Remove the driveshaft. There will be 4 bolts or nuts where the universals bolt to the rear. There will be some sort of U bolts. Or bolts with a U clip that goes over the universal.
4. Slide your driveshaft out.
5. Pull the seal out of the rear of the tranny using pliers
6. Gently tap the new seal in with a hammer
7. Install your driveshaft.

Sounds easy enough. I'll have to go to autozone later and see if I can get the part.

Other news, I got a new flasher and my blinkers are now working fine. The only thing left to do electrically is check the driver facing blinkers on the hood and the dome lights. I also need to get some gas, but that's a good thing because the gas that was in the tank was probably a bit old.

After a little research it turns out I shouldn't have used that silicone/rubber seal maker. I have the rubber gasket that I was going to use so I'm going to change it again for the hell of it.

As for where the fluid is, it's on the back of the transmission as well as the bottom of the pan and the bolts. I know the bolts aren't stripped and the pan is fine so it has to be something else. This next pan gasket should work fine because I have a torque wrench, then I'll be able to see where the other problem is.

Man you're super lucky to have your dream muscle car man. I'm hoping when I get a job and older I can get a project car of my own but I'm thinking more of a Charger or a Super Bee. 👍 Can't wait to here more progress.

Eesh. You're gonna be waiting awhile. Your best bet for a Charger is a '66-'67 model, as the '68-on B-bodies have really shot up in price.

Back