Ooh Barracuda - The End of 'Christine' R.I.P

• Thread starter Barracuda
  • 386 comments
To think that every car in America sounded like that for 30 years... Amazing! I'm not a huge MOPAR fan, but thats a lovely, lovely car. Too bad its not in really rough shape, I have some crazy ideas for old cars like that...

Thanks guys, my neighborhood likes how it sounds as well :lol:

My ultimate goal for the Barracuda is to make it a car that I can drive every day, but still be able to be a contender at the drag strip. A rough list of what I would like to get for the car would look somewhat like this:

Power steering
Windshield wiper fluid pump
Four barrel carburetor
Power brakes (maybe, I don't really know yet)
Formula S suspension (good idea Jim Prower)
Semi drag racing rear tires (Just something quite wider)
Radio (maybe, explanation below)
Air conditioning

That's all I can think of for now. As for the radio, I would definately like to get a working radio, but I also have two subs already in a box and two amps. Do you think it would be a bad idea to install them?

Right now I'm aiming to work on it a bit this weekend. Nothing big, I just want to vacuum her out, clean the windows, and try my best at cleaning the engine compartment. I've also found that there are leaves in some bad places, for example the air conditioning vent (well, not air conditioning but you know what I mean)

Eh I wouldn't put the subs in, not only are they a magnet for a thief (and let's not kid ourselves, that huge back window isn't good for hiding anything), but they sort of make your car seem "ghetto", which it clearly isn't. Sell em and use the money to buy something you need for the car. Also I would look into finding a classic looking radio with modern components in it, they showed it on one of the hot rod TV shows before so I know they exist.

i haven't heard an exhaust that cool since an Oliver Tractor :P

antique purists, of course, would have a fit (announcers at Barret-Jackson included) over mods. it's already a sleeper, stick with that.

Joey D: around here, that's not ghetto, that's "white trash" (and is usually applied to a pontiac sedan)

I look at it this way, I can't bring the car with me when I die, so why put up with the constant work and downsides of keeping it all original. Instead of worrying about every little detail I can just have fun with it, and be able to be comfortable as well.

It's not like I'm not going to be doing anything crazy with it. Other then a few things it's still going to be original, and i'm going to keep all the parts I take off of it just in case. I will also try to replace any damaged or missing pieces once the big things are over with.

And that modern classic radio is a great idea. I'll have to be on the look out for one.

no, but if you do it right, you'll get more than enough to bury ya with (by then, there won't be a gas engine on the road)

no, but if you do it right, you'll get more than enough to bury ya with (by then, there won't be a gas engine on the road)

Well if you look at it that way, by that time it could just be a shell and I could still get quite a pretty penny for it.

Well if you look at it that way, by that time it could just be a shell and I could still get quite a pretty penny for it.

Shell? Nah, it will never be a shell, worst comes to worst, strip everything out and make it a nice pedal powered BEAST!

Shell? Nah, it will never be a shell, worst comes to worst, strip everything out and make it a nice pedal powered BEAST!

I meant by the time I am old it will be worth so much that I could get a good amount of money even if it was just a shell.

I meant by the time I am old it will be worth so much that I could get a good amount of money even if it was just a shell.

I figured. Man I am so jealous of that Barracuda! Died and went to heaven when I heard that exhaust note

To think that every car in America sounded like that for 30 years... Amazing! I'm not a huge MOPAR fan, but thats a lovely, lovely car. Too bad its not in really rough shape, I have some crazy ideas for old cars like that...

Not the Valiant?

Congratulations on the car, by the way. An excellent example of a car that has been overshadowed too frequently, but an excellent car in its own right.

I wouldn't give the car a name, but if any, I have a couple (female names):

Andra
Lynette (but more for a British sportscar)
Charlotte
Mona
Brianna
Kathy (or Katherine)

Other than that, the name Christine is eerily suitable...

For some reason I haven't been able to get the name Christine out of my head. It's the only name I can think of that feels right for the car, but I'm still not too sure.

I just found out that my car has a little bit of an insect problem. Nothing crazy, but my dad found a few small roach looking things. I'm not really surprised as the previous owner left it in his back yard and didn't drive it much. I planned on cleaning out the car on Saturday anyway so it'll just be a little bit more work then I planned for, but I don't mind. Except for maybe the insect part, not a big fan of insects :yuck:

I was out in the garage so I decided to take a few pictures.

[Click for larger size]

Some news on the car, I need to change the gasket again. When we replaced it the package told us to tighten it to 12ft lbs (or something like that). We didn't have a torque wrench, so my dad tightened up the bolts pretty tight. Well 12ft lbs can apparently be achieved just finger tightening it, so to my surprise an even larger red puddle was under my car when I moved it. However, this is somewhat of a good thing because the new fluid probably loosened up the rest of the bits in the transmission, allowing it to be as clean as possible after I change it again.

Other news is that I drove it again today. I was in the garage with my dad and jokingly said "Can I peel out over there" and he said "why not". I was shocked but he was serious so I drove it around the block, stopped on the street, then just stepped on it. I only got a little squeak out of the tires, but I was just looking to step on it rather than leave any rubber. It was still a great experience, and I can't wait to do it again some time :mischievous:

Yeah, the more I see your car, Diablo' the more I really really really want you to avoid modifying it too much. It's such a nice, clean, straight survivor that I'd hate to see it on larger rims, tricked out, etc. etc. etc. The current stance, the wheels on it, the duals, everything is perfect. Clean it up, fix what's broken, detail it under the hood and in the trunk, but don't go crazy on it visually. Put some good shocks on it, see if Year One or somebody has a nice 4-wheel-disc brake kit for it, and look into thicker swaybars. Make the improvements count and resist the temptation to pimp it out.

Then take it to oldies cruise nights. I guarantee you'll get respect from your elders.

Put it on some Cragars!

And if you decide you want a new exhaust system, make sure you get some slightly bigger, stainless or chrome tips on your pipes

Yeah, the more I see your car, Diablo' the more I really really really want you to avoid modifying it too much. It's such a nice, clean, straight survivor that I'd hate to see it on larger rims, tricked out, etc. etc. etc. The current stance, the wheels on it, the duals, everything is perfect. Clean it up, fix what's broken, detail it under the hood and in the trunk, but don't go crazy on it visually. Put some good shocks on it, see if Year One or somebody has a nice 4-wheel-disc brake kit for it, and look into thicker swaybars. Make the improvements count and resist the temptation to pimp it out.

Then take it to oldies cruise nights. I guarantee you'll get respect from your elders.

Don't worry, I would never think of doing anything to ruin the look of the car. It kills me to see people who do that to classic cars.

I thought about putting a stereo system in it, but the more I think about it the more impossible it would seem to do that without ruining the interior. Later on I'm thinking about making a small box for one sub (I already had two subs and two amps before I bought the car), but making the box look like a classic speaker with stained wood and that dark brown fabric covering the front. For now though, I plan on just buying an ipod dock.

The only other plans I have for the car are to get the rust fixed as soon as possible, buy wider rear tires, and maybe get a four barrel carburetor (but that depends on which way the gas prices go). I also would like to eventually get some tuned headers, but that would have to be after I get the rust fixed. My dad will also help me get my engine to run at it's peak, and he's pretty good at it too. As a kid he had a 1964 F85 and he really got that thing running (plus he's owned a Camaro and a Corvette in the past).

Luckily my dad and I got a job together renovating houses, which is all that's really left for a skilled construction worker and drafter in Florida. Anywho, this means that I might be able to get all the rust fixed and the car painted at one time at the end of summer.

Thanks for all your comments, I really appreciate them :D

I dunno...if you don't go CRAZY on the 4BBL, you might actually IMPROVE your mileage, due to the extra flow.

If you really want good mileage, though, you're gonna have to go Overdrive. Richmond Gear makes a 5-speed OD tranny if you have a Manual, or, there's plenty of Automatic choices form modern cars and trucks.

please...DON'T put Cragars on that poor thing. unless five spokers were original stock, I can't see putting them on anything but muscle cars in the late muscle era. that's a sign of "rustbucket redneck" around here (as are American Racing modular style wheels)

I say leave the original caps on, or go steelies and mini-moons or Dog Dishes.

please...DON'T put Cragars on that poor thing. unless five spokers were original stock, I can't see putting them on anything but muscle cars in the late muscle era. that's a sign of "rustbucket redneck" around here (as are American Racing modular style wheels)

I say leave the original caps on, or go steelies and mini-moons or Dog Dishes.

+1

I didn't even think of those!

I think Jim is 100% right in that a small 4bbl will get better mileage than a 2. go for a 450 or 500 CFM.

Eh.. Cragars may be a bad deal. But Torq-Thrusts may not look bad. But the car is indeed beautiful enough. (but would look sinister on gloss black steelies with chrome lugs)

My dad keeps telling me that a four barrel wouldn't improve gas mileage, but i'm half way on the decision. I somewhat believe him, but I've also had a few people tell me that it would improve gas mileage. The only thing is that I'd need to get a new manifold as well.

As for the rims, I'll probably keep the ones I have. They need to be refurbished and I'm deciding on whether or not to get them chromed, or painted either the color of the car or red. You may be impartial to red, but I'm thinking they would really accent the white quite well, as well as go along with the red pin stripping (I also plan on getting some red fuzzy dice :D). I definately want to get some baby moons, which I think would make the car look pretty badass, especially with the red (not a super vibrant red though).

Well, like I said, the 4BBL will only go some way...what you really need is an overdrive tranny to get really good mileage. But that's probably more money than you're willing to spend at the moment.

+1

The look of the back window is so cool.

I don't really see a 4-barrel improving mileage much. OR hurting it, for that matter, as long as you stay out of the secondaries most of the time while driving it.

if your gonna red paint the steelies, get something subtle, and see if a place still has proper Chrysler formulas for paint. since this came out so well, try to keep it a bit Concours level.

and think of the networking you can create for yourself by getting that respect. Most of the oldies car guys that go to the meets here and well hooked-up, well-networked folks whom could get you some connections should you ever need them.

Back