Not open for further replies.

Venari

GTPEDIA Contributor
Premium
England
Banbaria.
GTP_Venari
Hello Dixieists.

This is a description and discussion thread for a new type of event that will be debuting at the Dixie... the 'Pick Your Own'.

Basically, I have selected a group of NORMAL, ROADGOING cars with power-to-weight ratios of between 250 and 285hp/tonne... or in GT4 speak, WPRs of between 3.5 and 4.0

There are 21 cars in this group, listed below for your convenience.

Code:
[FONT="Lucida Console"][B]  Make		Name[/B]
Aston Martin	DB9 '03
Aston Martin	Vanquish '04
Aston Martin	Vantage V8 '99
BMW		M3 CSL '03
BMW		M3 GTR '03
Chevrolet	Chevelle SS454 '70
Chevrolet	Corvette Z06 (C5) '00
Lotus		Elise Sport 190 '98
Lotus		Esprit Sport350 '00
Lotus		Esprit V8 '02
Lotus		Esprit V8 GT '98
Mercedes-Benz	SL55 AMG '02
Nissan		Nismo 400R '96
Nissan		Nismo Skyline R32 GT-R S-Tune '00
Opera		Opera 350Z '04
Proto Motors	Spirra 4.6 V8 '04
Ruf		RGT '00
Shelby		Series 1 '03
Spoon Sports	Spoon Civic Type-R (EK) '00
Tommy kaira	ZZ-S '00
TVR		Cerbera Speed Six '97[/FONT]

As you can see, there's a good spread of machinery from lightweights to musclecars (of all ages), from elegant GTs to monster tuned 'imports'.

All of these cars (with a few notable exceptions) have very similar performances in terms of laptimes around certain tracks. However, they respond differently to different driving techniques, they have very different power deliveries, and wear their tyres at different rates.

Here's the idea:

We will be racing on a series of pre-selected tracks of a wide variety of types, designed to balance out the cars as much as possible.

Your job is to pick one car. You will be racing that car for the entire series. :)

The races will be of different lengths, there will be a mix of shorter 'sprint' and at least one 'enduro'-type race where a pitstop will almost certainly be necessary, but tyre choice will be open all the way through the series.

Test as many as you like, wherever you like, and using Sports Hard tyres for around 7 laps of the 'average' track would be a good start. You can discuss whatever you wish here, be it honest truth, smack talk or plain bare-faced lies and misdirection. :) Post times if you like, but since you don't know what tracks we'll be running, you'll have to do a bit of everything.

You don't even need to tell me what it is... all the cars will be parked up waiting on the day. Obviously, I'd love to see a good spread of cars - so pick your faves and let's go racing!

P.S. The notable exceptions might be the lightweight cars really down on power for the straights... and one car most definitely undertyred and low on grip for the corners! There are four in the list that probably can't keep up, but if you feel like a challenge, be our guest!

P.P.S. Don't ask me for any other car. If it's not in the list, you can't have it!

Last edited:
I think I fancy a bit of M3 action, but I might change my mind before the day.

You just had to get the three Aston's in...

Pure chance, as it happens. :odd:

I forgot to add that the 7 laps is to test tyre wear... so... uh... you need to race others to get it, I think, as opposed to time trialling.

But hey. I tested a good number of the cars the other day on SSR5R which I hadn't tried before, and got completely different fastest times... and one of my considered picks which had previously been consistent top threes wasn't even in the top ten! And a car this was first at Laguna Seca in testing proved super mega slow compared to others at R5.

it just goes to show - if you like the car & the track, you can beat the 'fastest' car on paper... so anything's got a chance. :D

Sometimes even my own cunning leaves me with gasted flabbers.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that the 7 laps is to test tyre wear... so... uh... you need to race others to get it, I think, as opposed to time trialling.
What is this "tyre wear" of which you speak? :odd:

I'm just going for the best lap times. I'll make the tyres last... :dopey:

I reckon you will get a completely random set of results. Though obviously a power car would be better at Seoul than, say, the Spoon Civic. But then the Spoon Civic would probably be better at somewhere like Monaco or SSR5.

PS: Update your sig!

But then the Spoon Civic would probably be better at somewhere like Monaco or SSR5.

It isn't. I tried that last weekend. It kept up in the corners at SSR5, but was destroyed on the straight.

The Spoon is dead! I suppose the only advantage would be if in the races tyre wear comes into effect. In which case you probably would get some advantage.

I've chosen my car, I think. It's fun to drive, torquey, quite light, good brakes, 'adjustable' for line on the throttle/brake, and will provide excellent spectator viewing with my driving style (i.e. mad.)

On the downsides, if it bites, it really spins out, and it's only average on tyres.

I'd be surprised if anyone else chooses it. :)

Knock yourself out. I know at least 3 of us who tested the majority of the cars...

I've started testing a few cars here and I think I'm narrowing down my choices...

Incidentally, testing in Arcade mode, should we set the tyre wear to strong or light to get an accurate idea of what to look for?

Strong.

It's worth a note that Arcade Mode single player tyre wear, Arcade Mode 2 player tyre wear and LAN Play tyre wear all seem to occur at different rates. You'll get a decent impression for how quick the cars eat their tyres compared to each other, but not how a particular car eats tyres.

Again, no one has explained to me what this "tyre wear" is...

I've driven at least 9 of the available cars and have chosen my weapon.

Again, no one has explained to me what this "tyre wear" is...

:lol:

Oddly, I tested most of the cars for tyre wear with 10 laps of a reasonably-sized track on Sport Soft. With the G25, 6 of the cars I've tested didn't get beyond slightly-orange...

I've tested them all for times, with wheel and DS2. And I really shouldn't have bothered, as my conclusion was pretty much the same as if I'd just picked a car.

Oddly, I tested most of the cars for tyre wear with 10 laps of a reasonably-sized track on Sport Soft. With the G25, 6 of the cars I've tested didn't get beyond slightly-orange...
Yeah, your tyres were lasting longer than mine when you were using the G25 last time. Luckily for the rest of us, you were slightly slower then when you're using the DS2, but when you get used to the wheel we'll be waving bye bye to you. Again.

The quickest car round a flowing track is the soft-top.
But it doesnt appear quick :odd: But it is. The clock said so.
I'd put money on Betfair that we'll all end up driving either Bavarian motors, or Loti.
That is, if we can all find the venue.
:irked:👍

I'd put money on Betfair that we'll all end up driving either Bavarian motors, or Loti.
That is, if we can all find the venue.

"We"? You putting in an appearance then? :D

No commitments purplish.... you ought to know by now.

Well... I would like to know how may units I'm going to need - and how much wood I need to buy...

Does it always point to the north pole?

I'm currently testing for this. Not too much variation on times, got an extra 3 laps of tyres on one car though.

I'm loving this testing btw. I've tested 8 cars so far, 2 I didn't even bother testing on more than one track, one was 5 secs a lap off my quickest and the other could only do 8 laps. Not tested the little Mid Racers yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back