Man Wants To Build Exact Copy Of Nürburgring… In Nevada

• Thread starter EDK
  • 127 comments

EDK

WRS Admin
United States
Boise, ID
GTP_EDK
For lack of a better place to put this...........

Since the greater Las Vegas area only has a copy of Paris, New York, Venice, and alien-occupied ancient Egypt, it's still a good ways away from having a copy of all of Earth's good stuff. Luckily, Bruton Smith, CEO of Speedway Motorsports, is working to fix that, starting with a copy of the Nürburgring.

In this interview on Sirius XM Sports, Smith reveals that he's been talking to "some Germans" about the possibility of creating an exact duplicate of the Nürburgring in Nevada, likely 10 or so miles away from the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Smith is very confident he can produce an exact replica, and has been talking to both the Governor and the Nevada Bureau of Land Management, who he's hoping will donate 8,000 acres of land for the project. And why wouldn't they? Nevada has plenty of open dirt without any Nürburgrings at all— this could take care of that situation.

The Nevada 'Ring wouldn't be used for racing, just test track use, though individuals as well as manufacturers could use it.
So what you're saying is that I could be a four hour drive from the Nürburgring, and then moments from $4.99 lobster and the loosest slots in town? Yes, please.
http://jalopnik.com/5891398/man-wants-to-build-exact-copy-of-nurburgring-in-nevada

Sign me up!

No.... thats gonna fail...

Vegas has seen its share of failures in the multiple 100 million dollar range.

Biggest issue I see is that daytime temperatures are not practical for testing the limits of road cars to that extent 6-8 months out of the year.

A facsimilie in the middle of the desert?

Honestly... yawn. I echo Evo7; build something unique.

Yes you can make it work if you...

And not a facsimilie track of something that already exists.

Yeah. That was a long track which was unique. The Eifel Mountains or Eifel Desert? I know what I'd pick.

This could end really badly. But it could also end really well! :dopey: I'd love to see them build it, though a better idea would be to hire a track designer, pick out a nice, hilly bit of land that he/she likes, and have the designer design an 18-24 km long course to fit the terrain.

Personally I can see why having a replica would be beneficial, especially since the actual Nürburgring is having huge financial problems and are opening the track to the public less and less. So, in the event that the track goes bankrupt and is closed completely, petrolheads can still enjoy the track, minus the weather changes and Germanic quality. Also, if they felt like it, the replicators could take advantage of the lack of limiting natural terrain and, while keeping the track the same, making the barriers a lot more generous so there are a lot less crashes and such.

And besides all of that, all the petrolheads here in North America that have always wanted to go to the Nürburgring but can't justify the cost of a trip to Germany just for that could instead take a trip to Nevada, a much more doable trip.

And for everyone saying that they should build something unique instead, read the OP's post again and note:

Luckily, Bruton Smith, CEO of Speedway Motorsports, is working to fix that, starting with a copy of the Nürburgring.

This means if he actually has the means to do all of this, there will probably be more than just the Nürb out there when he's done.

Personally I can see why having a replica would be beneficial, especially since the actual Nürburgring is having huge financial problems and are opening the track to the public less and less. So, in the event that the track goes bankrupt and is closed completely, petrolheads can still enjoy the track, minus the weather changes and Germanic quality. Also, if they felt like it, the replicators could take advantage of the lack of limiting natural terrain and, while keeping the track the same, making the barriers a lot more generous so there are a lot less crashes and such.

And besides all of that, all the petrolheads here in North America that have always wanted to go to the Nürburgring but can't justify the cost of a trip to Germany just for that could instead take a trip to Nevada, a much more doable trip.

I like your thinking there 👍

Hun200kmh
He will need to replicate the trees too. And the morning mist.

Hahaha i was also going to say that. Literally, has to be the exact same type of grass also, the exact paint used for the graffiti on the road also, has to be the exact same one from the track.

Dotini
Please do not omit the Castle!
Indeed, he will have to also build a castle.

Back