• 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

G.T

United Kingdom
U.K
Paganisterr
Ak Paganister
I've noticed I have 13 so far. How can this be possible if they are only supposed to be going up or down in 10 points each vote?

On your post, click the red tick next to the post number.

Hmm.. what exactly are reputation points used for? Is it like the opposite of reporting? If It's a stupid question, I apologize in advance.

If you get enough Reputation Points (300) from people saying your posts are good, you get a little "Quality Posts" label under your avatar. So people who make consistently good posts get a little image enhancement. It's kind of like A-spec points.

Duke
If you get enough Reputation Points (300) from people saying your posts are good, you get a little "Quality Posts" label under your avatar. So people who make consistently good posts get a little image enhancement. It's kind of like A-spec points.
oooh! Thats neat-o. I will strive to make better posts. :D

Its a great idea, but ive got 2 questions....

1. When you get to 300 do you keep the good posts title regardless of what happens after that?

2. Is there a title / tag for poor posts...because I think that would be quite harsh!

For every 365 days you are registered and for every 1000 posts you have you gain one point of reputation (and reputation altering power).

1. When you get to 300 do you keep the good posts title regardless of what happens after that?

2. Is there a title / tag for poor posts...because I think that would be quite harsh!
As long as you have more than 300 reputation points, you will get the badge. If it drops under that from a string of bad ratings, it will dissappear. There is no other badge for any other ratings - you either have "Quality Posts" or you don't.

You can read more about the reputation system here.

I'd presume that there's some sort of flag to alert the Moderation staff to a user with consistenly poor quality posts too?

Famine
I'd presume that there's some sort of flag to alert the Moderation staff to a user with consistenly poor quality posts too?
Yes, it's called the "report to moderator" button ;) feel free to use it liberally.

edit: nice to see that the quote feature keeps the color and format of the original post.

Not a flag, really, but we can search for users with a reputation of less than any given number.

Der Alta
Yes, it's called the "report to moderator" button ;) feel free to use it liberally.

:lol:

Actually, it's been a while since I last clicked the big exclamation mark. A sign of improving average post quality? :D

Jordan - Cool. I figured there'd be all sorts of funky, behind-the-scenes add-ons too. After all, if the site's getting better for members, it HAS to be getting easier (in terms of process) to manage too.

So. You going to take a holiday now? :D I think you've done yourself proud.

Diego440
How come all mods seem to have the quality posts badge already?

I'd imagine that post quality - whilst previously unquantified - is a prerequisite of moderatorship...

Is this system anonymous?

I was wondering these 2 questions aswell, also, can you see how many other points people have?.... just curious...:)

Famine

I'd imagine that post quality - whilst previously unquantified - is a prerequisite of moderatorship...

Ummm... Daan is a mod and he doesn't have it... then again, Daan's posts lack sense anyways [/sarcasm]

I wondered the second one earlier.

Jordan doesn't want it to become a ranking competition between members - "My post quality is higher than yooooours". You can see your own (My GTPlanet, Edit Options) and you can see who has more than 300, but that's it.

It'd be nice to see how your vote affects someone's ranking points though, I think.

Jordan
For every 365 days you are registered and for every 1000 posts you have you gain one point of reputation (and reputation altering power).

So I've got 16 (2 years and 14,000 posts) just for being me? :D

Curious what you mean by "reputation altering power" though. Does someone who gets a thumbs up from me get more points than if they get it from a newbie?

Diego440
I think you'll find it's only the admins that have it so far. No mods have it yet.

Actually, it's been a while since I last clicked the big exclamation mark. A sign of improving average post quality?

Jordan - Cool. I figured there'd be all sorts of funky, behind-the-scenes add-ons too. After all, if the site's getting better for members, it HAS to be getting easier (in terms of process) to manage too.
Oh yes, there are some wonderful new backend features!

So. You going to take a holiday now? I think you've done yourself proud.
No, Sage won't let me. :grumpy:

Curious what you mean by "reputation altering power" though. Does someone who gets a thumbs up from me get more points than if they get it from a newbie?
Yes, that's correct. You'll give someone 16 points of reputation, whereas a new user will only give 10. Presumably, you've seen a lot more posts and are better able to critique them. I would love to show you your own altering power, but I don't think vB has a variable for it.

I want ahead and gave it to all administrators, as they have already exceeded my qualifications for "Quality Posts". I would give the badge to all the moderators, too, but there was too many of them last night. They are free to edit their own profiles and give themselves 300 reputation points - me granting them their position is enough qualification.

Jordan
:lol:

I would give the badge to all the moderators, too, but there was too many of them last night. They are free to edit their own profiles and give themselves 300 reputation points - me granting them their position is enough qualification.
Erm, except that none of us will be able to, since we still don’t have a “Save Changes” button in the Mod CP. ;)

What is to keep people from getting together and giving eachother tons of points to level themselves up quick without making quality posts?

Sage
Erm, except that we still don’t have a “Save Changes” button in the Mod CP. ;)
:lol: That’s hilarious!

Is Jordan kicking himself for that one? :P

THE ED3
What is to keep people from getting together and giving eachother tons of points to level themselves up quick without making quality posts?

Immediate bannination. 💡

but there is no way of knowing about it. as far as I can tell, I could get a bunch of people together, have us all give one person all our points for one day and then they would be much closer to being leveled up and then it would be the next persons turn the next day.

I could create another screen name and give myself points as well...

THE ED3
but there is no way of knowing about it. as far as I can tell, I could get a bunch of people together, have us all give one person all our points for one day and then they would be much closer to being leveled up and then it would be the next persons turn the next day.

You'd be surprised what mods know.

Jordan
Yes, that's correct. You'll give someone 16 points of reputation, whereas a new user will only give 10. Presumably, you've seen a lot more posts and are better able to critique them. I would love to show you your own altering power, but I don't think vB has a variable for it.

ermm.... come again?
I have 12 reputation points currently - so I understand that if I were to currently click the clicker on someone elses post that I grant them 12 reputation points.
But, lets say Famine were to approve of one of my posts, for example. Then I'd have 28 reputation points. If I were to then hit the checkmark for someone else, would I be giving them 28 points, or still my original 12?
If this is the case it only takes 1 nod from a top notch poster to attain that same status (hence my guess is that this is not the case).

Forgive me, it's late. Perhaps the answer is blatantly obvious or posted elsewhere. But the notion raised an eyebrow, or two, or three on this side of the monitor screen.

edit: nevermind. I read a little more closely with my good eye and noted that you specifically refered to this as reputation altering power, not reputation points.

Pardon my sheer ignorance, but where exactly do I see how many points I, or anyone else for that matter, has accumulated?

Edit: Wait, nevermind. :dunce:

PunkRock
Pardon my sheer ignorance, but where exactly do I see how many points I, or anyone else for that matter, has accumulated?

Yourself -> CP > Edit Options > "Login & Privacy" section. You should see your own points there.

I've no idea how/if mods (or super mods) can see other people's, Jordan will no doubt inform you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back