Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the correct number listed if you click on the check mark on one of your posts?

It says I have 10 points, so 3 of those would be from my 2.5 year membership and the 1,000 posts. So that would mean that either either "a higher member" rated me good and a new one rated me bad, or something along the lines? Would that be correct?

Thanks for the wise words regarding the subject Famine.

I'm still getting used to the system and I certainly don't want to abuse it and end up on the wrong side of a bann-stick.

For that matter, I didn't know that the rep. system would keep track of which replies were used as the base of the contributions we make to a person's rep.

Luckily, I think all but one of the rep points I've given out have been for good post and not being a good member (although I think I did maybe one or two of the "good member" kind, which btw, will stop now). :lol:

In any case, I'm glad to see this new element of the GTP being explored and discussed. 👍

Well I've given out a few bad ratings, but most of them have been good ratings. However I've been given nothing but bad ratings, I'm sure they are from the people that gave me bad ratings.

Some how I'm beginning to see this rep system as something that won't last.

BlazinXtreme
Well I've given out a few bad ratings, but most of them have been good ratings. However I've been given nothing but bad ratings, I'm sure they are from the people that gave me bad ratings.

Some how I'm beginning to see this rep system as something that won't last.

We rate you bad because GM sucks ;)

Actually I dont think I'll ever really rate anyone.

I did just give you some points though kent because your a cool guy 👍

THE ED3
I did just give you some points though kent because your a cool guy 👍
That's an example of abusing the system.

People give positive feedback to members they like, but give negative feedback to those who they don't like. The badge is called "Quality Poster" for a reason. It's not a "Likable Member" badge.

I see this feature getting flushed down the toilet real quick.

Famine
Sure? I just click "My GTPlanet" and "Edit My Options" and it's there, with a checkbox saying I can display it if I wish (presumably just the badge, should I ever get one).
Classic! :lol:

*right-click > save as*

THE ED3
no its an example of him having helped me in the past so I gave a little back.
Okay, so you did exactly what you said some people at the Convo thread would do. Nice.

ok... sorry. next time I'll waste my time to find the exact post and rate it :rolleyes:

What I said was they were doing was giving points to their friends. I didnt say they were giving points to people that had helped them in the past.

ROAD_DOGG33J
Is the correct number listed if you click on the check mark on one of your posts?

It says I have 10 points, so 3 of those would be from my 2.5 year membership and the 1,000 posts. So that would mean that either either "a higher member" rated me good and a new one rated me bad, or something along the lines? Would that be correct?
If I remember well, 10 points was what everybody had in GTP6, when the reputation system was not activated.

@AngleProvidence : the previous version was GTP6, not 7. Version 7 was never released. [/SMART ASS MODE]

perfect of example of this system being abused:

last night I'm not sure if I had 16 or 13 points... and today I have 10 points... and I really haven't posted a message worth pointing... I don't think I've posted more than 20 words and none of them have been about a certain topic... still, now I have 10 points, so is someone giving me negative points for previously pwning them in another thread or just because I'm such a lovable a**hole?

flat-out
If I remember well, 10 points was what everybody had in GTP6, when the reputation system was not activated.

Is 10 the minimum or is it 0?

So far it looks like its 10.

Something tells me this will get HIGHLY abused due to

1) Friends giving each points....
2) People giving out bad ratings for
-1) just being an ass
-2) because someone does not agree with their statement
-3) or they just don't like the person due to past conflicts.

Now I have some experience in this "Rep" system because it was something we used over aat UCP. We kept it until it got out of hand with people giving each bad rep points due to stupid arguments.

Sad to say, but disappointly immature, a few members left because of the Rep system being taken away and the admin setting up some new rules.

Diego440
perfect of example of this system being abused:

last night I'm not sure if I had 16 or 13 points... and today I have 10 points... and I really haven't posted a message worth pointing... I don't think I've posted more than 20 words and none of them have been about a certain topic... still, now I have 10 points, so is someone giving me negative points for previously pwning them in another thread or just because I'm such a lovable a**hole?

Okay, in the first couple of days you'll get people who can tell you you're an asshole for free by clicking on the red tick - but eventually the novelty will wear off and/or the bans handed out to them by the clobberators for misuse of the system will hit home.

If you wouldn't use the "Report to Moderators" button, you probably shouldn't be using the red tick. If you would, use THAT instead.

Some posts aren't report-worthy but are pants, but not many.

I've been handing out points, but I don't think I'll be deducting anyone's points anytime soon. It's easy to find posts that are cool or informative, but really bad one's are hard to come by(thank god!).

I have an idea. Probably old but I'll still share.

Since our post count doesnt count in the convo forum, we shouldnt be able to rank posts in there either. Its a pretty random, offtopic forum most of the time and I think if we wernt able to rank posts in it it would lead to a bit more stable usage.

THE ED3
I have an idea. Porbably old but I'll still share.

Since our post count doesnt count in the convo forum, we shouldnt be able to rank posts in there either. Its a pretty random, offtopic forum most of the time and I think if we wernt able to rank posts in it it would lead to a bit more stable usage.
That is a really good idea!

Famine
Okay, in the first couple of days you'll get people who can tell you you're an asshole for free by clicking on the red tick -

Not that different from real life... Duke's theory that GTP is a micro-cosmos is once again supported!

THE ED3

Yes, that is a good idea.

THE ED3

That's a good idea.

If it's doable. I don't know the mechanism but I'm sure Jordan will investigate it.

Diego, someone is going to need a hell of a grudge before it becomes an issue, because after you award or remove rep points from a certain user, you need to adjust a certain number of other users before you are allowed to adjust the first user again. And you're never allowed to adjust for any given post more than once.

I realize this is the internet, but it would take a lot of misguided determination to make the effort.

Am I I the only one who thinks the talk here has gone a little off-topic?? After all the title is reputation points problem, and you guys are making ED3 a president here? Though I have to agree that ED3's idea is very good.
And I believe no one has answered the original question yet, considering the counting of the points? Or have I totally missed the answer? I think it was pretty clearly said that if you give people a good rating you give then 10 points and when you give them a bad rating you "take" 10 points. So at least with my math, by only playing with 10s you're not able to get 19 or 16 points :confused: This point-system is confusing me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back